Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D1 Baseball Breakdown of 2016 Hogs/ Projected line up

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, January 21, 2016, 07:45:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Any idea what our pitching rating is? I am not a subscriber. I personally don't have as much concern for the lineup as many others on here do, but I would be satisfied if our hitting was "slightly above average" as they put it. I think our pitching will be close to well above average assuming nobody is injured, and everyone recovered from last year's injuries.

d_animal68

Quote from: jry04 on January 22, 2016, 09:52:34 am
Any idea what our pitching rating is?

Some tidbits if you're curious.

Starting Pitching: 55

Goes on to say the real question mark about the rotation is the ability to stay healthy - McKinney with his hip issue and Taccolini with his rib injury.  Also, another question is Jackson and his potential inclusion in the starting rotation.

Bullpen: 55

"The Hogs have a chance to end the season with a bullpen with more of a grade like a 60 or 65 if others besides Jackson rise to the occasion."

Includes Chadwick and his improvement, Blaine Knight, Weston Rogers, Isaiah Campbell, and Anthony Dahl.

Experience/Intangibles: 55

"The number 55 seems to be used with this team for grades quite a bit, and the Hogs, for now, do look like a team that will be a shade above-average. However, there's certainly more potential, as usual, with Dave Van Horn's team."
"Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical" - Yogi Berra

ucahogfan

Thank you for posting d_animal.  I really think they would have rated our bullpen a 60 or better if they had been aware of one more guy - Doug Willey.  I keep forgetting about him, but he will be the go-to guy after Jackson out of the pen.  He is a graduate transfer out of D2 Franklin Pierce, but he has also spent some time during the summer on the Cape which tells me he is plenty talented to be a big part of this staff.

As far as the starting lineup, I think it is interesting to see Cole listed as the DH.  The eight position players are who I thought they would be and I think it has the makings to be a good lineup especially if Bonfield and Spanberger step up big in year 2 like Benintendi did last year (ok, not on the same scale, but show improvement).  Cole definitely has elite speed and was one of our best signees to make it to campus, but I would think he could potentially move to CF and move Benninghoff to RF.  Maybe he has work to do defensively like Bonfield did last year.

Anyway, seeing the projected lineup gets me really excited for the upcoming season.  I think DVH has done of good job of getting a lot of talented guys and we will have a versatile lineup with both speed and power this year.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: d_animal68 on January 22, 2016, 11:59:18 am
Some tidbits if you're curious.

Starting Pitching: 55

Goes on to say the real question mark about the rotation is the ability to stay healthy - McKinney with his hip issue and Taccolini with his rib injury.  Also, another question is Jackson and his potential inclusion in the starting rotation.

Jackson will be in the starting rotation and should prove to be one of the SEC's best pitchers.  I'll be seriously surprised if Jackson doesn't meld into the Friday night starter.

BigBrandonAllenFan

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ra...reseason-poll/

Quote...Arkansas returns several key players from their 2015 College World Series team, including All-SEC pitcher Zach Jackson. Pitchers Dominic Taccolini, Keaton McKinney, and James Teague also return to give the Razorbacks one of the nation's top pitching staffs...

BigBrandonAllenFan

January 24, 2016, 10:14:47 am #6 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:22:51 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
The real question marks lay in the batting department.  The loss of Benintendi and Spoon are the holes.  If a couple of guys can pick up where those two left off, Omaha is very much attainable again.

I fully expect a return to Omaha.  I'm dern sure the players have the same mindset.  This season's team is better than last year top to bottom.

BigBrandonAllenFan

January 24, 2016, 10:32:03 am #7 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:23:34 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/top-25-breakdown-no-25-arkansas/
Author:  Kendall Rogers

QuoteIt's easy to poke some holes in the Razorbacks' chances from an offensive standpoint. The Hogs have the tough chore of replacing two of the better hitters in the SEC, particularly Andrew Benintendi, a first-round pick and one of the great stories of the 2015 season, while Tyler Spoon was a consistent force, leader and fan favorite. With those guys, the Hogs clearly will need some guys to assume bigger roles. Nomura spent the offseason getting stronger and should hit with a bit more line-drive power, while Bernal, another veteran, showed immense improvements offensively during the fall. Eagan is an athletic, quality, hitter who can make things happen, while Bonfield is a key cog to watch. Bonfield showed a lot of promise the summer after his high school senior season with a strong showing in a collegiate summer league, but never really materialized into a consistent guy last year. Now, Bonfield has made major strides and has the ability to be a consistent, powerful, hitter. Benninghoff and Spanberger can use all the fields, and Cole is a switch-hitting potential leadoff hitter who has speed and good plate discipline. There will be some doubters about this Arkansas lineup, but look for it to be productive enough.

He is talking about himself.

ucahogfan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 24, 2016, 10:03:38 am
Jackson will be in the starting rotation and should prove to be one of the SEC's best pitchers.  I'll be seriously surprised if Jackson doesn't meld into the Friday night starter.
DVH wants Jackson to be in the pen and be available to shut down the opponents multiple times during the weekend.  I feel like he can be if Taco, Teague, and McKinney are healthy.  Just the presence of Jackson in the pen will be deflating to opponents if the Hogs get a lead.

One of the things they mentioned on the five minute breakdown was the innings difference if Jackson is in the rotation or in the pen.  In the rotation, Jackson could throw 115+ innings this year depending on how much DVH stretches him out and how deep in the tourney we go.  In the pen, Jackson probably throws 60-70 innings again like he did last year.  I think DVH will sacrifice innings out of Jackson to gain an advantage multiple times on the weekend over having him go just once.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 24, 2016, 12:41:04 pm
DVH wants Jackson to be in the pen and be available to shut down the opponents multiple times during the weekend.  I feel like he can be if Taco, Teague, and McKinney are healthy.  Just the presence of Jackson in the pen will be deflating to opponents if the Hogs get a lead.

One of the things they mentioned on the five minute breakdown was the innings difference if Jackson is in the rotation or in the pen.  In the rotation, Jackson could throw 115+ innings this year depending on how much DVH stretches him out and how deep in the tourney we go.  In the pen, Jackson probably throws 60-70 innings again like he did last year.  I think DVH will sacrifice innings out of Jackson to gain an advantage multiple times on the weekend over having him go just once.

Time will tell I guess.

Given the off season to mature, and judging by the way Zach finished last season with some extended innings in relief (6 innings in one game I think it was), I don't see going 6 or 7 innings as a problem at this point.  The boy is big and strong.  If Zach is 100% healthy, he has Friday night stuff.  That would be my play.  Van Horn has plenty of good pitchers on staff to take relief roles.  That Friday night game is everything in a conference series.  Win it and you win more series than you lose.

One thing is for sure...Zach is the best pitcher on the staff regardless of when he pitches.

ucahogfan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 24, 2016, 01:26:13 pm
Time will tell I guess.

Given the off season to mature, and judging by the way Zach finished last season with some extended innings in relief (6 innings in one game I think it was), I don't see going 6 or 7 innings as a problem at this point.  The boy is big and strong.  If Zach is 100% healthy, he has Friday night stuff.  That would be my play.  Van Horn has plenty of good pitchers on staff to take relief roles.  That Friday night game is everything in a conference series.  Win it and you win more series than you lose.

One thing is for sure...Zach is the best pitcher on the staff regardless of when he pitches.
I don't think you will find anyone on here who will disagree with you that Jackson can be a starter, but would you rather have your best pitcher give you 6+ on a Friday night or 4-6 innings spread among the 3 games?

DVH has kept an elite pitcher at the back end of the pen since the change in bats back in 2011.  In 2011, it was Nolan Sanburn who wound being a 2nd round pick.  In 2012, it was Barrett Astin who was a 3rd round pick.  In 2013, it was Colby Suggs who was a 2nd round pick.  In 2014, Michael Gunn started the year before Jacob Stone took over.  Both of those guys finished with ERAs under 1.  Last year it was Jackson who will be a 1st - 2nd round pick in June.  At his best, Jackson brings two 65 or better pitchers to the mound, but he does struggle with is command at points.

Also, I think Teague, Taco, and McKinney can handle being our weekend rotation this year.  That is the key to keeping Jackson at the back end of the pen.

BigBrandonAllenFan

January 24, 2016, 07:40:34 pm #11 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:57:29 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: ucahogfan on January 24, 2016, 02:19:38 pm
I don't think you will find anyone on here who will disagree with you that Jackson can be a starter, but would you rather have your best pitcher give you 6+ on a Friday night or 4-6 innings spread among the 3 games?

DVH has kept an elite pitcher at the back end of the pen since the change in bats back in 2011.  In 2011, it was Nolan Sanburn who wound being a 2nd round pick.  In 2012, it was Barrett Astin who was a 3rd round pick.  In 2013, it was Colby Suggs who was a 2nd round pick.  In 2014, Michael Gunn started the year before Jacob Stone took over.  Both of those guys finished with ERAs under 1.  Last year it was Jackson who will be a 1st - 2nd round pick in June.  At his best, Jackson brings two 65 or better pitchers to the mound, but he does struggle with is command at points.

Also, I think Teague, Taco, and McKinney can handle being our weekend rotation this year.  That is the key to keeping Jackson at the back end of the pen.
I think the difference as to where I want Zac to pitch depends on a couple of factors:  1. How well my bats have developed, judged after the [edit] Minute Maid tourney, and 2. How well my other 3 possible starters look, up to just before that series. That is a big [edit] tourney because the winner could emerge with regional host preference.  I really think, if you have any question as a coach as to exacts, you have to give Zac a start in the series.  If Zac doesn't get a start there, then I'll be sold on DVH's intentions of a reliever roll for Zac.

And you make some solid points as to DVH's patterns, but most of those guys didn't carry the size and strength of Zac. If there is a glaring difference I'd say that's it.

On the last, you and I have a different philosophy, neither better than the other given who the subject is, in that your key for making the most of Zac is save him for the close, which he no doubt can do effectively, whereas, I think in the mindset of hit them in the mouth with your big boy right out of the gate. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 24, 2016, 07:40:34 pm
  I think the difference as to where I want Zac to pitch depends on a couple of factors:  1. How well my bats have developed, judged after the OSU series, and 2. How well my other 3 possible starters look, up to just before that series. That is a big series because the winner could emerge with regional host preference.  I really think, if you have any question as a coach as to exacts, you have to give Zac a start in the series.  If Zac doesn't get a start there, then I'll be sold on DVH's intentions of a reliever roll for Zac.

And you make some solid points as to DVH's patterns, but most of those guys didn't carry the size and strength of Zac. If there is a glaring difference I'd say that's it.

On the last, you and I have a different philosophy, neither better than the other given who the subject is, in that your key for making the most of Zac is save him for the close, which he no doubt can do effectively, whereas, I think in the mindset of hit them in the mouth with your big boy right out of the gate.
What is this OSU series you talk about?

BigBrandonAllenFan

My bad.  Had OSU on mind.  Make that the Minute Maid deal against the Texas teams in mid preseason.

Thanks   ;) , edited above.

jry04

DVH has said a number of times since last season that he will give Jackson a chance to start on the weekend if someone can emerge as a closer. Whether that happens, who knows. However, he has said over and over that will be the case if everything works out. I expect Taco, Teague, and McKinney to be good enough to have those starting roles, so I would like to keep Jackson in the bullpen.

d_animal68

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 23, 2016, 07:43:41 pm
Thank you for posting d_animal.  I really think they would have rated our bullpen a 60 or better if they had been aware of one more guy - Doug Willey.  I keep forgetting about him, but he will be the go-to guy after Jackson out of the pen.  He is a graduate transfer out of D2 Franklin Pierce, but he has also spent some time during the summer on the Cape which tells me he is plenty talented to be a big part of this staff.

Not a problem, UCA.

What about Jordan Rodriquez?  Any idea as to what is in store for him? I seem to remember a lot of people talking about him pitching really well - unless I'm mistake.  Is he a bullpen guy who will typically start midweek games to see how he transitions to D1 ball?
"Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical" - Yogi Berra

Knot2brite

Have we heard who or if anyone did not return since schools started
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 24, 2016, 12:41:04 pm

It appears, as evidenced by the opening weekend of solid starting pitchers against a good Central Michigan team, that the plan you have endorsed, that is to keep Jackson as the closer, is going to be the move.  We'll have to see how freshman Blaine Knight adapts when SEC play comes around to know for sure if Jackson remains the closer, but for now, everything is beautiful.  ;)

There is more than one reason why I am not the coach.