Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keuchel cashes in

Started by JHicks3636, January 16, 2016, 01:28:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

Avoids arbitration by signing a 1 year deal worth 7.25 million. This smashes the old record for a first year arbitration eligible pitcher. It was previously 4.35 million by David Price and Dontrelle Willis.

flippinhogmana

January 17, 2016, 04:05:33 pm #1 Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:01:51 pm by flippinhogmana
It prooves once again that a crafty left hander is worth his weight in gold...my hearty congratulations to Dallas (as it was to Cliff Lee before him)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

bulldog04

He will get big bucks and a multi year deal next year

JHicks3636

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 17, 2016, 04:07:30 pm
He will get big bucks and a multi year deal next year
May happen but he has 2 more arbitration eligible seasons left. If Houston cannot sign him to a long term contract, they can force him to arbitration and hold on to him for at least that long. Assuming he repeats this year's performance, he will break this year's pitcher arbitration record again.

SquidBilly

Houston would be better served signing him to a long term deal. 

k.c.hawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 18, 2016, 07:51:51 pm
Are you sure about that?

If Houston can hold on to Keuchel for two more years (even assuming they lose annual arbitration hearings), that will be a lower cost than what Keuchel is likely to sign for. 

Waiting two more years to see if Keuchel is worth the big money is the smart move (fiscally speaking) by Houston. 

If he has another good year a smart organization would offer him more upfront money for his next 2 years of arbitration and in return ask him to give them his first 1 or 2 years of free agency at a reasonable price. If he's going to most likely get $20m in his next 2 years of arbitration, offer him 3 for $34m, with a 4th year option that makes it 4 for $48m. Essentially the only thing they are risking is 1 year for $14 and maybe a $3m buyout on the option. It gives Kuechel financial security should he get hurt, allows Houston to lock up pitching at chump change and secures he is there for a minimum of 4 years rather than 2. Keuchel might not want to give up any years of his free agency with his age being a factor, he might be perfectly willing to go to arbitration the next 2 to test the waters.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.