Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MLB Draft Experts?

Started by Grizzlyfan, December 17, 2015, 10:58:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

There is speculation that the Texas A & M QB may leave school for the MLB draft.  Others say he wouldn't be eligible for the draft since he passed on the out of high school draft.  What's the rule?

jbell96

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 17, 2015, 10:58:27 am
There is speculation that the Texas A & M QB may leave school for the MLB draft.  Others say he wouldn't be eligible for the draft since he passed on the out of high school draft.  What's the rule?

JRY04 covered this in a thread on MMQB, "He opted out of his first eligible draft, so he isn't eligible for 3 more years, or two if he goes to JUCO. He may choose baseball, but it won't be in the MLB yet."

Sueie

Quote from: jbell96 on December 17, 2015, 11:15:54 am
JRY04 covered this in a thread on MMQB, "He opted out of his first eligible draft, so he isn't eligible for 3 more years, or two if he goes to JUCO. He may choose baseball, but it won't be in the MLB yet."

Not correct.

It depends on his age.  If he is 21 years old before the draft he can leave.
Also Juco players can go after the first year.
Get drafted out of high school. Turn it down.
Go to Juco and get drafted the next MLB draft.  Don't have to sit out any years that way.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Sueie on December 29, 2015, 03:33:06 pm
Not correct.

Go to Juco and get drafted the next MLB draft.  Don't have to sit out any years that way.

not only is what Sueie says the correct interpretation and application of the rules, but if memory serves it has affected us in several ways in the past, the last was a player we had that wasnt getting enough playing time (a catcher I think), decided screw it, he would just go pro, so he went to JC and was drafted the next year if I recall correctly.  It saved him having to wait until after his third year or until after the 21st birthday rule application. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Sueie

I also do not know if him playing FOOTBALL would affect his draft in baseball.  We had a player a few years ago that played football and he went to the KC Royals pro day at Arvest stadium.  The royals drafted him and he left football to play Pro baseball.

Does anyone remember that players name? 

jry04

Quote from: Sueie on December 29, 2015, 03:33:06 pm
Not correct.

You are correct on JUCO, but that was his only way. Some have been suggesting before he transferred to OU that he would just sit out at A&M and enter the MLB draft since he had not played college ball yet (as if he were still considered a HS prospect). That was not a possibility.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Sueie on December 29, 2015, 03:54:17 pm
I also do not know if him playing FOOTBALL would affect his draft in baseball.  We had a player a few years ago that played football and he went to the KC Royals pro day at Arvest stadium.  The royals drafted him and he left football to play Pro baseball.

Does anyone remember that players name? 

Was a wide receiver. Number 19 maybe.  Name escapes me. If memory serves he left football after his senior year though.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

jry04

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on December 30, 2015, 12:12:55 am
Was a wide receiver. Number 19 maybe.  Name escapes me. If memory serves he left football after his senior year though.
Was it Carlton Salters?

Big Nasty 34

Oklahawg

Carlton used to post here quite a bit. Had his own forum, in fact, for a while.

I had the privilege of trading some PMs and phone calls with him after he left the Hogs. Last I knew he was toiling in the Independent Leagues trying to get another minor league shot.

I want to say he was also looking at eventually getting into coaching...but I can't be certain on that.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SPAL

Talked to him several times....good kid and always had positive words.

snf6278

Didn't Bryce Harper use the juco rule to his advantage also? I can't remember the specific details but I remember reading that he used it to his advantage out of high school.

ucahogfan

Quote from: snf6278 on January 18, 2016, 07:33:14 pm
Didn't Bryce Harper use the juco rule to his advantage also? I can't remember the specific details but I remember reading that he used it to his advantage out of high school.
He got his GED after his sophomore year of high school and went to a JUCO in his home town of Vegas to enter the draft a year earlier than if he had stayed in high school.

ucahogfan

Quote from: mrp on January 19, 2016, 10:20:19 pm
A JUCO that played in a wood bat league. There's a video on YouTube showing Bryce while he was there coming in to close a game out. He's throwing mid 90s but he gives up 2 runs loses and blows the save.

Bryce was able to do this because he had a major league body at 14 in addition to his tremendous ability and talent.
He also won the Golden Spikes Award as he triple slashed .443/.527/.987 and hit 33 HRs.  I know he is one of the most special talents of his era, but those stats are ridiculous for was probably the youngest player in his league.