Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beard

Started by tconey1, January 28, 2018, 01:30:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tconey1

Does anyone remember a point in the 2nd half we are making a little run and have a 2on1 break with the ball in Beards hands with CJ running ahead for the alley but Beard takes it and misses the layup?  I almost threw my beer and cheese dip at the tv!  Those plays have to be made by a senior. 

TNhawgfan

Probably the less said about Beard's and Barford's day yesterday the better
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HogsonHicks

Quote from: tconey1 on January 28, 2018, 01:30:17 pm
Does anyone remember a point in the 2nd half we are making a little run and have a 2on1 break with the ball in Beards hands with CJ running ahead for the alley but Beard takes it and misses the layup?  I almost threw my beer and cheese dip at the tv!  Those plays have to be made by a senior. 

I agree. Beard made several bad decisions in the second half. He's a scrappy player, but I wish he'd better understand his role as a distributor first. He also led the team in minutes played which also made me ask WTH more than once.

I'd rather see Jones (10 min yesterday) and Hall (14 min) have a greater share of those minutes. Beard is a role player playing 90% of the game. Makes little sense. 

TNhawgfan

Quote from: HogsonHicks on January 28, 2018, 01:36:01 pm

I'd rather see Jones (10 min yesterday) and Hall (14 min) have a greater share of those minutes. Beard is a role player playing 90% of the game. Makes little sense. 
Agreed. If Jones is struggling with his shot, then fine, don't give him minutes because he's not our best defender (me being nice). But yesterday he drilled two 3's when we needed it and almost hit one from the hog (Al Dillard range) and Beard couldn't buy one
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

alohawg

Quote from: HogsonHicks on January 28, 2018, 01:36:01 pm
I agree. Beard made several bad decisions in the second half. He's a scrappy player, but I wish he'd better understand his role as a distributor first. He also led the team in minutes played which also made me ask WTH more than once.

A slight modification could be made here. That single play alone best illustrates why I'm happy he's a senior. Wth goes thru a players head there where 99% of guards in the country make that pass???
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

The_Iceman

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 28, 2018, 01:40:08 pm
Agreed. If Jones is struggling with his shot, then fine, don't give him minutes because he's not our best defender (me being nice). But yesterday he drilled two 3's when we needed it and almost hit one from the hog (Al Dillard range) and Beard couldn't buy one

Point of clarification, the hog nose was much further away in Dillard's day.

Hogs run wild

what? no mention of him always trying to be the hero and win the game with poor shots at the end of the game? his role is distribute and get junk baskets. other than that, let better shooters shoot and better scorers score.

as to seeing hall play more mins in games...i say "no". the kid has some up side, but he is lost out there.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

niels_boar

Beard probably should have given the ball up to Jones on that play, but an alley-oop to a guard on the full run isn't without risk.  Gafford would have provided a lot more room for error on the pass.  It's epidemic at all levels that drivers hang on to the ball in transition rather than pass if they have only one player to beat. 

I wanted Jones in the game late because he and Macon were the only two players that could make an open jump shot at the time.  Beard was passing up looks late that needed to be taken because he was ice cold.  Those were good decisions but still hurt the O.

I wonder if anybody noticed that Beard had 6 assists to 0 TOs and was second on the team in defensive rebounds and blocks on a bum ankle at 5-foot nothing.

Posters keep ragging on Beard.  Yet, he led us in minutes.  CMA knows what Beard is supposed to be doing on every play.  He watches tape on games and directs every practice.  He's been playing or coaching basketball since the early 80's.  What's more likely: a) CMA is an idiot, b) a casual fan sees something that CMA can't, or c) Beard performs the function that he is asked to perform better than fans realize.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: Hogs run wild on January 28, 2018, 02:21:21 pm
what? no mention of him always trying to be the hero and win the game with poor shots at the end of the game? his role is distribute and get junk baskets. other than that, let better shooters shoot and better scorers score.

as to seeing hall play more mins in games...i say "no". the kid has some up side, but he is lost out there.

Lost?!  He's one of our best defenders and rebounders. His offensive game is also coming along nicely.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: niels_boar on January 28, 2018, 02:30:13 pm
Beard probably should have given the ball up to Jones on that play, but an alley-oop to a guard on the full run isn't without risk.  Gafford would have provided a lot more room for error on the pass.  It's epidemic at all levels that drivers hang on to the ball in transition rather than pass if they have only one player to beat. 

I wanted Jones in the game late because he and Macon were the only two players that could make an open jump shot at the time.  Beard was passing up looks late that needed to be taken because he was ice cold.  Those were good decisions but still hurt the O.

I wonder if anybody noticed that Beard had 6 assists to 0 TOs and was second on the team in defensive rebounds and blocks on a bum ankle at 5-foot nothing.

Posters keep ragging on Beard.  Yet, he led us in minutes.  CMA knows what Beard is supposed to be doing on every play.  He watches tape on games and directs every practice.  He's been playing or coaching basketball since the early 80's.  What's more likely: a) CMA is an idiot, b) a casual fan sees something that CMA can't, or c) Beard performs the function that he is asked to perform better than fans realize.

Poor shot selection is just like a turnover.

niels_boar

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 28, 2018, 02:33:37 pm
Poor shot selection is just like a turnover.

Beard is a distant fifth in shot rate on this team, and he has a better chance of knocking down a jump shot than everybody shooting less often.  He has to take some shots because too often he is on the court with only two other offensive threats.  The defense might have enough sense to take the other two away.  He makes some bad decisions along with every other player on the court.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

lookawayquick

Beard has a few attributes but one of them is NOT finishing.  That 2 on 1 was a bad decision.  The pull up in the lane later was also a bad decision.  Gafford bailed him out on that one.  This team desperately needs a PG/distributor.  Beard can help his team the most by moving the ball, not dribbling at the top of the circle, and taking the high percentage shots.  He is a better shooter than DT but that ain't saying much.  Run the offense and pass the ball.  If he will do that, this team will have a chance to win more games.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: niels_boar on January 28, 2018, 02:45:36 pm
Beard is a distant fifth in shot rate on this team, and he has a better chance of knocking down a jump shot than everybody shooting less often.  He has to take some shots because too often he is on the court with only two other offensive threats.  The defense might have enough sense to take the other two away.  He makes some bad decisions along with every other player on the court.

No knock against him. He's a mid major type of talent. He's the best option on the roster as a pg. At times I love his defense despite his lack of quickness and on offense at times it seems like it's my time to shoot regardless.

Arkansas does play better defense and communicate better when Beard is on the floor.

HeyHogs

I think Anton feels he is pro material and presses.  We need him to be the point guard.  He is the only person with true point skills.  The team will rise and fall with his decision making.

tchog1956

Quote from: HogsonHicks on January 28, 2018, 02:30:54 pm
Lost?!  He's one of our best defenders and rebounders. His offensive game is also coming along nicely.

LOST??? Hall was playing hard and helped get the defense playing hard!  It seemed like Anton was 1-20 in secon half.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: tchog1956 on January 28, 2018, 03:33:08 pm
LOST??? Hall was playing hard and helped get the defense playing hard!  It seemed like Anton was 1-20 in secon half.
So he had a cold shooting night but don't just look at one side of the coin.  He also passed on a number of open looks, likely cause he wasnt feeling it.  His aggresive drive to the basket is what allowed Gafford the cleanup shot to put us ahead.  He said in the presser he knew his bigs would be there cause he had 3 on 2.

Athog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 28, 2018, 03:02:05 pm
No knock against him. He's a mid major type of talent. He's the best option on the roster as a pg. At times I love his defense despite his lack of quickness and on offense at times it seems like it's my time to shoot regardless.

Arkansas does play better defense and communicate better when Beard is on the floor.

Great point! Without Beard on the floor we win much less!!

hogfanny

Yes I noticed too, we really needed that easy assist and subsequent basket but no.

TomasPistola

I think Beard will be missed more than you folks realize next year. Yes, he makes mistakes. But he's a leader, and he has no fear. He's a throwback, IMO, to some of the really good Nolan teams that won with inferior talent, but bigger heart and belief in themselves.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Dirty

He felt he could make the layup!  He didn't so move on!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: tconey1 on January 28, 2018, 01:30:17 pm

He should have gave Jones a lob. Very selfish he also won't give the ball to Gafford in the post. I will be so glad when he graduates because Mike plays him regardless.

Best game we played last year was when Beard was sick at South Carolina and didn't play. He can't hit a free throw and can't hit a 3 point shot when the score is close.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Dirty on January 28, 2018, 05:48:15 pm

Why he gets more shots blocked than any player I can remember? It was selfish and he won't stop until he graduates.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 28, 2018, 05:38:05 pm
I think Beard will be missed more than you folks realize next year. Yes, he makes mistakes. But he's a leader, and he has no fear. He's a throwback, IMO, to some of the really good Nolan teams that won with inferior talent, but bigger heart and belief in themselves.

Biggest bunch of BS ever! Maybe you should go back and look at the South Carolina game last year. Beard was sick and we played our best game of last year. No coincidence. He won't be missed.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dirty on January 28, 2018, 05:48:15 pm
And I feel like CJ was in position to slam it home!

TomasPistola

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 28, 2018, 06:17:44 pm
Biggest bunch of BS ever! Maybe you should go back and look at the South Carolina game last year. Beard was sick and we played our best game of last year. No coincidence. He won't be missed.

It's not bs. It's an opinion. I could give 2 craps about the South Carolina game last year. The kid plays his game the best way he can. Is he the best player on the team? No. I think this fanbase feels like that have to have one whipping boy on every Razorback team. Who's it gonna be next year when you jackwagons don't have Beard to feast on?
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: niels_boar on January 28, 2018, 02:30:13 pm

Wrong you have to have some statistics if you play that many minutes. Not possible to play and have no stats. Anderson told the TV guy he sees himself in Beard..Why he plays all those minutes is confusing. He does not deserve the minutes he gets. Hall and Jones have potential and if given those same minutes both would put up much better stats than Beard.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 28, 2018, 06:20:49 pm
It's not bs. It's an opinion. I could give 2 craps about the South Carolina game last year. The kid plays his game the best way he can. Is he the best player on the team? No. I think this fanbase feels like that have to have one whipping boy on every Razorback team. Who's it gonna be next year when you jackwagons don't have Beard to feast on?

He didn't play and we won and that was the best game we played last year. I just gave you my opinion on him being missed. He won't unless Mike fails to recruit anybody.

Anybody who watches any basketball at all knows Beard is the worst player we have. I would include the walkons but that's just me.

Birminghog

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 28, 2018, 06:20:49 pm

Preach it, Tomas.

PonderinHog

Beard's a good basketball player that plays hard.  I wish he was 6'4", but he's not.

panhandlepig

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 28, 2018, 05:38:05 pm

I'll miss him. He's certainly not perfect but he plays like he thinks he is.  He puts it all out there. 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Like I said, I'll miss him.

AlmaHog2011

You can catch him at the rec center or the boys club.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 28, 2018, 06:27:42 pm
Beard's a good basketball player that plays hard.  I wish he was 6'4", but he's not.

Or quick or athletic or a good shooter or a good defender or a good passer.

panhandlepig

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 28, 2018, 06:30:21 pm
You can catch him at the rec center or the boys club.

I'll pass. I'll keep watching the rest of this season and hope for the best for every player out there.

TomasPistola

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 28, 2018, 06:31:06 pm
Or quick or athletic or a good shooter or a good defender or a good passer.

So he stole your girlfriend or something? Cut you off in traffic? Schooled you at the rec?

How dare he have the audacity to accept a scholarship to play at the U of A! Good grief dude. You're giving Alma a bad name and we all know the only redeeming thing in Alma is the Sonic.
You were right.
You did a great job.

ronmahony

I saw it coming. Right at the end of the game, Beard drives, shoots that little floater of his, and misses. I swear he takes that shot 4-5 times a game and missed nearly every time. I have never seen a PG that could seldom make a lay-up like him. I seriously cringe every time I see him handle the ball at the end of the game. Gaffers saved his butt last night, that is all I can figure, Mike saying he reminds him of himself. Got to be the only reason Beard plays so much. I know he tries and hustles and all, but his decision making and shot making, or missing, not very good.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

upperdeck_hawg

Any coach worth a darn would have chewed Beard out for that play. Mike is too soft on his players.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: ronmahony on January 28, 2018, 06:56:20 pm
I saw it coming. Right at the end of the game, Beard drives, shoots that little floater of his, and misses. I swear he takes that shot 4-5 times a game and missed nearly every time. I have never seen a PG that could seldom make a lay-up like him. I seriously cringe every time I see him handle the ball at the end of the game. Gaffers saved his butt last night, that is all I can figure, Mike saying he reminds him of himself. Got to be the only reason Beard plays so much. I know he tries and hustles and all, but his decision making and shot making, or missing, not very good.
Remove Beard from the scenario, you telling me that you dont want your pg taking it to rack on that play when he had numbers? 

And honestly for that matter WHY is this even a thread.  You people may not like him but he is OUR point guard. 

The Hogfather

He's better than Kevaughn Allen...

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 28, 2018, 06:39:51 pm
So he stole your girlfriend or something? Cut you off in traffic? Schooled you at the rec?

How dare he have the audacity to accept a scholarship to play at the U of A! Good grief dude. You're giving Alma a bad name and we all know the only redeeming thing in Alma is the Sonic.

Honestly don't care about what you have to say pissola.  Didn't say a word about him accepting a scholarship did I? Alma is a great place you must be a liberal bashing Alma Arkansas.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on January 28, 2018, 07:51:18 pm
Remove Beard from the scenario, you telling me that you dont want your pg taking it to rack on that play when he had numbers? 

And honestly for that matter WHY is this even a thread.  You people may not like him but he is OUR point guard.

No problem with that move it's just he never makes the shot and he won't pass. It was forced on him though.

Pigswill

I too cringe every time he has the ball. I heard Mike when he said he sees himself in Beard, ... Guess that means we can expect to see him on the bench after the graduates. I'm OK with that, .. just as long as he's not on the floor jacking up must have baskets in the last seconds, ... when the likes of Macon and Barford are also on the floor!  :o  And yeah, ... I'd prefer Macon shooting a 3 with a man all over him, to Beard jacking it up wide open for the game!

TomasPistola

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 28, 2018, 08:54:56 pm
Honestly don't care about what you have to say pissola.  Didn't say a word about him accepting a scholarship did I? Alma is a great place you must be a liberal bashing Alma Arkansas.

Nope. Not a Liberal. Keep trying.
You were right.
You did a great job.

tconey1

I didnt start this to say he is a bad player.  He just doesnt know his limitations.  He thinks he is 6'4" and bulletproof.  That confidence may help him after basketball but it is causing him to make some bad decisions on the court.  He needs to be a pass first pg.  Even when he drives he needs to look for the kick out instead of getting the shot blocked 3 out of 5 times. 

PORKULATOR

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 28, 2018, 08:54:56 pm
Don't forget the Tony Alamo historical tours. Lol.
Everyone on here but From Dusk til Dawn is basketball ignorant. I've read your posts and you've been weighed and measured. Tools!
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hoglady

We are a better team with Beard than without.
CJ Jones or Darius Hall can't do what Beard does - no way they could handle the ball that many minutes without turning it over too much.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogNiner12

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 28, 2018, 03:02:05 pm

You are delusional dude!! He gets burnt every game....road kill can drive by him, he can't defend anybody with average skills at best. Like I said before he always seems to be open because nobody fears his shot. He should just work on get gafford the ball and forget about scoring PERIOD!

HogNiner12

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 28, 2018, 08:16:39 pm
He's better than Kevaughn Allen...
Ha ha ha!! Please lay off the crack!!

Pigswill

Quote from: hoglady on January 28, 2018, 09:31:27 pm
We are a better team with Beard than without.
CJ Jones or Darius Hall can't do what Beard does - no way they could handle the ball that many minutes without turning it over too much.

Mike or someone has given him a false sense of security on the floor. He's NOT that guy, but seems to think he is?! His 30% FG shooting becomes <10% FG in the last three minutes of the game, yet he has taken the last shot or shots in what seems like the last 6 or more games!, .. and missed them all basically. Yes, we are better if he runs the offense and distributes the ball ONLY in the last few minutes.

HogNiner12

Anybody who thinks he is good at defense needs to rewatch the games this year!! His new nickname should be burnt toast

Breems

Quote from: HogNiner12 on January 28, 2018, 09:40:12 pm
Ha ha ha!! Please lay off the crack!!

The Hogfather has a personal vendetta against Kevaughn Allen Iverson. I'm pretty sure it's the only time I've seen him post as of late. It's one of my favorite things in Jump Ball.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />