Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Give this a Read

Started by WilsonHog, September 19, 2017, 07:46:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

Quote from: elksnort on September 19, 2017, 09:06:34 pm
Bielema needs to either win at the very least seven games or he needs to be gone then go get the guy from Memphis or Brom
I really like the man. i don't get pleasure out of this. he is doing good things for the program in many areas.but he's not winning enough.he has to start winning right now.

hawgon

Quote from: elksnort on September 19, 2017, 09:06:34 pm
Bielema needs to either win at the very least seven games or he needs to be gone

Will seven games change anyone's opinion?  Would that convince you that he was in the right track and fill you with confidence for next year and the year after?  I suspect not.

The truth is that, barring an incredible finish this year good enough to save his job and a borderline miraculous year next year, it's already too late for Bielema.  Everyone who is actually thinking about it knows that.  It's just that no one is sure exactly how it will play out.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawgon on September 19, 2017, 09:11:29 pm
Will seven games change anyone's opinion?  Would that convince you that he was in the right track and fill you with confidence for next year and the year after?  I suspect not.

The truth is that, barring an incredible finish this year good enough to save his job and a borderline miraculous year next year, it's already too late for Bielema.  Everyone who is actually thinking about it knows that.  It's just that no one is sure exactly how it will play out.
You can't blow 2 big 2ND half leads like we did to Mizzo and VA.Rech.and then start the next year losing by 3 T.D. at home to TCU. that is unacceptable.

98hogs

Quote from: wachhog on September 19, 2017, 08:29:26 pm
Andy has gray hair.  In all those years, you'da thunk he woulda learned some grammar and how to spell. He would have much more credibility. Interesting, never-the-less. But, Andy, ask somebody to proofread for ya.
Screw the grammar, Article was spot on !

factchecker

Quote from: elksnort on September 19, 2017, 09:07:18 pm
Braum

It was only a matter of time until this happened.

B-R-O-H-M

not

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TebowHater

1. Long will unequivocally fire Bielema if it meant his job. We all know that it is his career above all. 

2. This article with no sources is highly suspect. As someone who inquired about a Loge box very recently, that line about their pricing is 100% false. They are the same price they have always been and are selling fast (shockingly, given our performance). Also does anyone have suite numbers? I thought most of them were sold.

This article is almost like those fake news clickbait articles on Facebook. I would love some real sources or at least some numbers.

BILLYBOB

The TCU loss feels a lot like the 2005 Houston Nutt loss to Vandy. I could feel the rage in the stadium, as fans left. I believe Nutts lost his job that day. It took until the end of 2007 for him to officially leave. But he lost the fan base that day Vandy beat us. CBB is in deep trouble. He better go all in to win every game. It's not about the future...it's about winning right now. Not sure he gets that.

I'm pulling for the man. But he is in deep trouble
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

hawgon

Quote from: TebowHater on September 19, 2017, 09:21:50 pm
1. Long will unequivocally fire Bielema if it meant his job. We all know that it is his career above all. 

2. This article with no sources is highly suspect. As someone who inquired about a Loge box very recently, that line about their pricing is 100% false. They are the same price they have always been and are selling fast (shockingly, given our performance). Also does anyone have suite numbers? I thought most of them were sold.

3. They have the resources and, unlike some of the wealthiest in Arkansas... Huh??? Are they not the wealthiest? Who is wealthier than them? ... they also have a passion for the Hogs winning games. Do they? Stephens probably. Tyson hasn't been involved much since JL arrived it seems. And I don't remember the last time the current living Waltons cared about athletics (they do tons of philanthropy to enhance our state - just saying not sure about the hogs. This was discussed in an entire thread recently). Similarly for the Hunts but know the least here.

This article is borderline absurd. Almost like those fake news clickbait articles on Facebook.

I don't know about box prices but you completely misrepresent what he said about the money people.  What he said is that there are plenty of people with money who UNLIKE the wealthiest people in Arkansas still care about winning games.

I have no actual idea as to how much of this is true or not, but let's not misrepresent what was actually said.

elksnort

Quote from: factchecker on September 19, 2017, 09:19:42 pm
It was only a matter of time until this happened.

B-R-O-H-M

not

thank you. My spelling plus these small keys are problematic.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: bondhue on September 19, 2017, 09:02:39 pm
Well, you could invite Jeffrey Epstein over with his friend Bill, then laissez le bon temps rouler.
LOL!
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

bondhue

I am critical of Bielema's w/l record.  If he goes 7-5 in this regular season I will be okay for one more year.  We may not be able to get anyone better at this time.  6-6 in year 6 and he should be gone.  I like him.  He has done well academically.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

TebowHater

Quote from: hawgon on September 19, 2017, 09:25:34 pm
I don't know about box prices but you completely misrepresent what he said about the money people.  What he said is that there are plenty of people with money who UNLIKE the wealthiest people in Arkansas still care about winning games.

I have no actual idea as to how much of this is true or not, but let's not misrepresent what was actually said.

Sorry - I may have misread. You are saying he claims there are wealthy people besides Hunt/Tyson/Walton/Stephens who could pony up that money?

hawgon

Quote from: TebowHater on September 19, 2017, 09:27:36 pm
Sorry - I may have misread. You are saying he claims there are wealthy people besides Hunt/Tyson/Walton/Stephens who could pony up that money?

Yes.  That is what he said.

TebowHater

Quote from: hawgon on September 19, 2017, 09:28:10 pm

Got it - makes way more sense. Could have been written more clearly, like most of the article. Will edit that point. Rest still stands.

East Clintwood

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 09:07:58 pm
If the right people convince the right people(BOT/administration) that a change needs to be made, then one will be made. I suspect they'll have to pay off Long as well, as I don't see him firing Bielema after this year, barring a 3-9,4-8 type of season.

Long needs to go first.  Don't want him to have any input on hiring the new coach.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

BILLYBOB

Any idea who these people might be?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

hawgon

Quote from: BILLYBOB on September 19, 2017, 09:30:20 pm
Any idea who these people might be?

I have no idea, but $15 mil ain't exactly what it used to be.  I would imagine that there are plenty of car dealers, real estate people, and the like who could come up with that pretty easy.  One of the BOT members could write a check for the whole amount.

Get half a dozen like minded people like that together and they wouldn't even break a sweat.

TebowHater

RedRazorHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 07:46:16 pm
Guy makes some interesting points.

http://hitthatline.com/bielema-long-facing-first-crossroads-of-season-saturday/

Great article.  Thank you for posting it.  This had information I was not aware and gives me some hope that it is not entirely an oligarchy over there and that there are some people doing said audit.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

ricepig

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 09:35:09 pm
Great article.  Thank you for posting it.  This had information I was not aware and gives me some hope that it is not entirely an oligarchy over there and that there are some people doing said audit.

What would they audit?

bondhue

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on September 19, 2017, 09:25:55 pm
LOL!
I love that avatar!  Anything to get that avatar associated with me! 8)
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

hawgon

What would they audit?  Well, since unlike practically every other major construction project in our history we took out a bond issue on this latest one, some people might have some trouble if the numbers used to get the bond issue don't match up with reality.

I have no idea if that is the case, but that would very clearly be the starting point of any audit.

TebowHater

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 09:40:00 pm
What would they audit?

Our finances, ya know - those of which are some of the best in the country. If there is one thing we can objectively say JL has done well, it is in the financial department. It is not possible to objectively disagree with that. The numbers are publicly filed and we are among the absolute best, period.

Here is an article from two real reporters, who actually do their homework to get numbers. Oh and actually sourced quotes.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2017/07/06/colleges-spending-more-their-athletes-because-they-can/449433001/

hobhog

I'd just prefer we get on a roll the rest of year and not have to worry about any of this.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 19, 2017, 09:28:10 pm

I thought John Tyson was an SMU Alum.  I know he owns The Blessings, but is that for the Razorbacks or because he loves golf.  I honestly don't know, just asking.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: bondhue on September 19, 2017, 09:44:53 pm
I love that avatar!  Anything to get that avatar associated with me! 8)
You keep pumping them out like that, anytime! Lol.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Porked Tongue

Lots of speculation in that article.  Some of it simply is a hatchet job.

Just enough truths in there to make it readable.   There is some hush around the foundation and I have heard one outside the state booster is ready to pony up a chunk of the buyout if the season stays south.

Not buying the heavy increase in ticket prices or difficulty with the loge boxes.  However, the "non-loge" seating is going slower than they'd hoped.

I'm just not buying that gloom and doom.  If he'd not stretched it out, it'd be more effective.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on September 19, 2017, 09:46:18 pm
What would they audit?  Well, since unlike practically every other major construction project in our history we took out a bond issue on this latest one, some people might have some trouble if the numbers used to get the bond issue don't match up with reality.

I have no idea if that is the case, but that would very clearly be the starting point of any audit.

Well, considering it's over 11 months until we play the 2018 season, I'd say it's a little premature to audit for a bond issue that was "to be amortized entirely with athletic revenue".

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Where's Porkatarian in a time like this?....

DoctorSusscrofa

The author names not a single source for any of his allegations. Not one. Biggest piece of trash I've read.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 19, 2017, 09:54:36 pm
Lots of speculation in that article.  Some of it simply is a hatchet job.

Just enough truths in there to make it readable.   There is some hush around the foundation and I have heard one outside the state booster is ready to pony up a chunk of the buyout if the season stays south.

Not buying the heavy increase in ticket prices or difficulty with the loge boxes.  However, the "non-loge" seating is going slower than they'd hoped.

I'm just not buying that gloom and doom.  If he'd not stretched it out, it'd be more effective.

Yeah, I wouldn't think the club seats would selling "like hot cakes" now, anyway.   The suites and Loge boxes will all sell, although not with the 5/6 year commitments they had originally hoped for.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 19, 2017, 09:56:58 pm
The author names not a single source for any of his allegations. Not one. Biggest piece of trash I've read.

You should read some of the other stuff he has written.  This is one of his more credible writings.
Retired Radio Host

TebowHater

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 19, 2017, 10:05:30 pm
You should read some of the other stuff he has written.  This is one of his more credible writings.

Yikes. And so many took the bait so easily. Sad.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 19, 2017, 08:13:22 pm
Those of you that actually think that JL will keep BB if it means his job may well be surprised.

I think that JL has one strike against him with CBP and the CBB will be strike two.  He's hoping to survive without pulling the trigger on Bielema this year because his own job will be n the line with the next hire whenever it comes.

CBB could put together a bowl season with the 2 sisters of the poor and wins over the largely inept group of USC, OM, and Mizzou.  I don't think that's going to go anywhere with the fans though.  Bielema's future I think hangs on what he does against A&M, Auburn, LSU, and Miss St. and the rest of the year means little. 

He has to win a couple of those games as well to have any hope next year will be anything other than a farewell tour and any realistic scenario begins with a win this Saturday.  Without wins over quality opponents this year JL figures to give him the dreaded vote of confidence while secretly opening the job to protect his own job.  We have to go back 20 years to the last time an Arkansas coach took the field in a true must win situation and as I recall Ford didn't win any of those games to save his job.

hobhog

Porked Tongue

Did Robert Shields change his name?

RazorbackAlways

Even if we won against TAMU (unlikely), Id still fire his ass.

ricepig

Quote from: TebowHater on September 19, 2017, 10:07:25 pm
Yikes. And so many took the bait so easily. Sad.

Yeah, if he had said some BM donors had cut back/quit donating, that suite/Loge seating wasn't getting the long term commitments they had hoped for, and that some big boosters were restless, he would have been spot on, but he didn't.

Oklahawg

Quote from: BILLYBOB on September 19, 2017, 09:24:38 pm
The TCU loss feels a lot like the 2005 Houston Nutt loss to Vandy. I could feel the rage in the stadium, as fans left. I believe Nutts lost his job that day. It took until the end of 2007 for him to officially leave. But he lost the fan base that day Vandy beat us. CBB is in deep trouble. He better go all in to win every game. It's not about the future...it's about winning right now. Not sure he gets that.

I'm pulling for the man. But he is in deep trouble

I have thought of the Vandy loss at RRS also.

Not sure the terms are quite the same, but there are some similarities.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HognotinMemphis

The emails offering 2 game package of tickets for TCU and Auburn says a lot. And it's not saying good things about Razorback football.

I am all for capitalism so on one hand, more power to the U of A to get all they can get for their tickets, suites, concessions, and parking passes.

On the other hand, they try to sell it as if you should do it to help the state univ and the students and the future of this state. Well to that I would say, go F yourself. They have raised ticket prices, and everything else, by approx 6.5% per year on average for 20 years. That is 3 times the rate of inflation. They ain't worth that. If you want to spend your money on that product at that rate of increase, it's your money. However, it's excessive, and the product is mediocre at best.

If this article is at all accurate, looks like David Pryor was the only smart one out of the BOT members.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Oklahawg

I am a touch concerned that there is a lot of hearsay or anonymity (for good reasons, obviously) that cannot be confirmed outside of the inner circle of BAC or RF folks.  Usually, the "my name is on it" media do not go with a scoop until they have three confirmed sources saying the same thing.

This level of fact-checking is different than HV, of course, where "gosh, I haven't posted in a few minutes" is sufficient reason to toss off some half-baked conspiracy theory or head-in-the-sand post on "what is really happening." These are fun to read, but do not help us recognize when someone is posting something legit and when they are talking out of their ass.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 10:14:43 pm
The emails offering 2 game package of tickets for TCU and Auburn says a lot. And it's not saying good things about Razorback football.

I am all for capitalism so on one hand, more power to the U of A to get all they can get for their tickets, suites, concessions, and parking passes.

On the other hand, they try to sell it as if you should do it to help the state univ and the students and the future of this state. Well to that I would say, go F yourself. They have raised ticket prices, and everything else, by approx 6.5% per year on average for 20 years. That is 3 times the rate of inflation. They ain't worth that. If you want to spend your money on that product at that rate of increase, it's your money. However, it's excessive, and the product is mediocre at best.

They've been offering deals almost every odd year lately. This isn't the first rodeo on twofers, package deals, or discounts.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 10:18:33 pm
They've been offering deals almost every odd year lately. This isn't the first rodeo on twofers, package deals, or discounts.
Yes.

I would think less of them if they didn't try to sell what they had left in creative fashion. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 10:18:33 pm
But these were two big games. In past, has the twofers been games like TCU and Auburn? Either way, it says the games are no longer selling out.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 19, 2017, 10:14:39 pm
I have thought of the Vandy loss at RRS also.

Not sure the terms are quite the same, but there are some similarities.
As there are in Hatfield's loss to Texas at WMS.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

onebadrubi

Quote from: BILLYBOB on September 19, 2017, 09:07:35 pm
Lots of suggestion, innuendo, and pure speculation. Very little hard facts.
Who are these wealthy people lining up to pay off CBB. Smells like BS.

I'm of the same thinking.  You need a lot of old money families, well they tend to have their large sums tied up in trust and such, and fortunuatley  OR unfortunately buying out a football coach isn't allowed. 

hobhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 19, 2017, 09:09:34 pm
I really like the man. i don't get pleasure out of this. he is doing good things for the program in many areas.but he's not winning enough.he has to start winning right now.

When people said that about MA last year you went completely ballistic. Just sayin...

hobhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 10:38:06 pm
I'm of the same thinking.  You need a lot of old money families, well they tend to have their large sums tied up in trust and such, and fortunuatley  OR unfortunately buying out a football coach isn't allowed.

I love how people without money always know so much about people who do and what they'll do with it....

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on September 19, 2017, 09:33:47 pm
I have no idea, but $15 mil ain't exactly what it used to be.  I would imagine that there are plenty of car dealers, real estate people, and the like who could come up with that pretty easy.  One of the BOT members could write a check for the whole amount.

Get half a dozen like minded people like that together and they wouldn't even break a sweat.

You have absolutely no understanding of the value of that type of money.  Especially if it's taxed or their contribution limits have been met for tax deductions.   

We don't have the type of boosters to pony this up.  If that buyout has to be paid, a large chunk will from the next few years of revenue

onebadrubi

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 09:51:21 pm
I thought John Tyson was an SMU Alum.  I know he owns The Blessings, but is that for the Razorbacks or because he loves golf.  I honestly don't know, just asking.

He wanted to have a private course.  He does allow the razorbacks' to play there.