Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 04:51:16 pm

Paul Rhoads

Started by gchamblee, September 27, 2017, 01:19:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Would anyone be upset if CPR was CBB's replacement? I personally love his enthusiasm and emotion. I would be very interested in seeing if he could win here. I like everything I have seen from the man to date.

GoHogzzGo

Allowed 43 points against a bad TAMU team, yes I would. Wasn't successful at ISU won't be here.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

gchamblee

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on September 27, 2017, 01:24:48 pm
Allowed 43 points against a bad TAMU team, yes I would. Wasn't successful at ISU won't be here.

sickboy

I like his passion and he's clearly a smart defensive coach. He's turned around our secondary since he's been here. But I'd hope we'd be able to find someone a little more up and coming to get excited about. That's just me personally.

gchamblee

Quote from: sickboy on September 27, 2017, 01:49:22 pm
I like his passion and he's clearly a smart defensive coach. He's turned around our secondary since he's been here. But I'd hope we'd be able to find someone a little more up and coming to get excited about. That's just me personally.

I sort of started viewing him as our next coach when he showed up at Curls announcement and was so well liked by the Curl family.

island hog

If BB were to leave, I'd have no problem with Rhoads at all.  I always loved watching his Iowa State teams play, especially when they came to Austin and beat the horns.  He hasn't had time to fine tune the new 3-4 defense as we are short on the type of LBs it takes to run it.  I like him, his fire and the fact that he can recruit!

gchamblee

Quote from: island hog on September 27, 2017, 01:57:59 pm
If BB were to leave, I'd have no problem with Rhoads at all.  I always loved watching his Iowa State teams play, especially when they came to Austin and beat the horns.  He hasn't had time to fine tune the new 3-4 defense as we are short on the type of LBs it takes to run it.  I like him, his fire and the fact that he can recruit!

This is where Im at as well. His teams did play some very inspired football. They were always the underdog. People keep mentioning "fire in the belly" and he is a fire in the belly type of coach.

Razorbackers

I would be proud...

no...

I would be SO PROUD

But seriously, Rhoads seems like a great guy. He wouldn't be my #1, but players rally around him. And what he's done with our secondary in a limited amount of time is impressive to me, though maybe not others.

island hog

Very cool... surprised that any team knows the words to the fight song like that!

jst01

I think the new HC needs to be someone not related to this program in any way at the moment. Can he recruit? and can he do it at an exceptional level?  I really don't know and that's the key. If I were hiring the next coach here I would sit down with applicants and have them go into extensive detail on their recruiting history, their plan to recruit to AR and how they would enact their plan. What is their game-plan and strategy, what players will it take to be successful and is it even reasonable that they can get those players here. 

island hog

That makes sense but there are certainly positives to keeping someone like Coach Rhoads for continuity of current recruiting class, having someone whose knows the team and expectations, etc. 

gchamblee

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 27, 2017, 02:03:36 pm
I would be proud...

no...

I would be SO PROUD

But seriously, Rhoads seems like a great guy. He wouldn't be my #1, but players rally around him. And what he's done with our secondary in a limited amount of time is impressive to me, though maybe not others.

That video gets me every time I watch it. I would not be disappointed at all if he replaced CBB. I think he would run a very clean program with quality student athletes and I think he would bring the hunger that CBB talks about. A fresh start if you will. I think he is also a strong recruiter.

longpig

Quote from: Ward on September 27, 2017, 01:23:37 pm

actually instead of him, hire Iowa State's current coach Matt Campbell (who beat us at  Toledo)

he had a 3-9 record last year, but look at the scores and see how close they were to having a winning season his first year

grab Matt Campbell before someone else does

That'd add insult to injury hiring CPR's successor.  Campbell must have some hidden issues because he was killin it at his previous job for consecutive years and Iowa State is the best he could get.  Winning at Iowa State is nigh impossible for anyone.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: island hog on September 27, 2017, 02:16:06 pm
That makes sense but there are certainly positives to keeping someone like Coach Rhoads for continuity of current recruiting class, having someone whose knows the team and expectations, etc.

How'd that work out with Johnelle?

hawgon

If we are going to get middle aged retreads, couldn't we at least get one that was successful?

longpig

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 01:59:16 pm
This is where Im at as well. His teams did play some very inspired football. They were always the underdog. People keep mentioning "fire in the belly" and he is a fire in the belly type of coach.

fire in the belly gets my  piss hot

JohnnyJohn

Quote from: gchamblee on September 27, 2017, 01:19:51 pm
Would anyone be upset if CPR was CBB's replacement? I personally love his enthusiasm and emotion. I would be very interested in seeing if he could win here. I like everything I have seen from the man to date.

You mean replacement in 2020?  It's not close to happening this year or next.

gchamblee

Quote from: JohnnyJohn on September 27, 2017, 02:54:08 pm
You mean replacement in 2020?  It's not close to happening this year or next.

Whenever it happens. I did not specify a time.

FutureMan

To answer the question, I would not be against Paul Rhoades being the successor.  I think he is a good coach, a good motivator, and a good guy.  I think the players have a lot of respect for him and he would be able to get the most of out of them.  He could provide that spark that we seem to be lacking at this point in time.  He's been a head coach before and had success.  Iowa State is a hard, hard job.  Harder even than Arkansas, I would say.  He could also provide some continuity for the players and program going forward.

I don't know if he would be my first choice but he would definitely be on my short list.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

gchamblee

Quote from: FutureMan on September 27, 2017, 03:01:24 pm
To answer the question, I would not be against Paul Rhoades being the successor.  I think he is a good coach, a good motivator, and a good guy.  I think the players have a lot of respect for him and he would be able to get the most of out of them.  He could provide that spark that we seem to be lacking at this point in time.  He's been a head coach before and had success.  Iowa State is a hard, hard job.  Harder even than Arkansas, I would say.  He could also provide some continuity for the players and program going forward.

I don't know if he would be my first choice but he would definitely be on my short list.

Ya Im not saying he is my first choice either. I am just saying it wouldn't disappoint me. I could actually get behind it.

gchamblee

Quote from: GirlHog on September 28, 2017, 01:43:54 am
In case nobody noticed, we still have a head coach. These threads on here are absolutely the worst I've ever read. Replacement?? BB is still the Head Hog. Until that changes, replacement speculation is detrimental to anything positive going on in the program.

So I can put you down as a "no"?

Boarcephus

Hiring any coach at Arkansas will be a crap shoot because you know Saban or UM isn't coming.  If we are going to roll the dice and get rid of Bielema, I'd rather them go after a younger coach with a helluva an upside with deep ties to Texas high school football because that's where our recruiting has to focus.  Now who that person is, can't tell you but I'm sure the PTB (not Long) have to know there is that type of coach available. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastArkHog 47

Hiring Paul Rhoads would be like the second coming of JL "Snoopy" Smith.

al_pigcino

Hiring someone because the players rally around them would basically be like hiring Nutt again.  We need someone who has already won, not someone who just makes the players play hard.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Ward on September 27, 2017, 01:23:37 pm

actually instead of him, hire Iowa State's current coach Matt Campbell (who beat us at  Toledo)

he had a 3-9 record last year, but look at the scores and see how close they were to having a winning season his first year

grab Matt Campbell before someone else does
I think Campbell is a good coach but he is from Ohio and has no ties to the South or experience in the SEC (not counting him beating us).   I think next time we need a new coach we should look at all the top assistants from the SEC first.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: GirlHog on September 28, 2017, 01:43:54 am
In case nobody noticed, we still have a head coach. These threads on here are absolutely the worst I've ever read. Replacement?? BB is still the Head Hog. Until that changes, replacement speculation is detrimental to anything positive going on in the program.
Bingo!!!  Multiple threads on this and it's quite boring that all anyone can write about is something that's not going down.  CBB would have to literally lose every game, players stop buying in and the administration gives up on him which is not gonna happen.  About the only thing I believe that may happen is OL coach CKA gets fired at the seasons end.

Kevin

our db's are better, and we tackle sooo much better.  he has been a benefit to this program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tusks

Norvell is a great offensive mind and is from Texas.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

gchamblee

Quote from: tusked on September 28, 2017, 11:38:38 am
Norvell is a great offensive mind and is from Texas.

You misread the title and OP. No worries, it was an honest mistake I am sure.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 28, 2017, 07:55:11 am
Hiring someone because the players rally around them would basically be like hiring Nutt again.  We need someone who has already won, not someone who just makes the players play hard.

Bingo.

You guys realize Rhodes went 3-9, 2-10, 3-9 his last three years at ISU? Not a head coach material.

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

gchamblee

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on September 28, 2017, 04:17:56 pm
Bingo.

You guys realize Rhodes went 3-9, 2-10, 3-9 his last three years at ISU? Not a head coach material.

Nobody wins at Iowa State. Its like in the sTar Trek movie, the point of the test is there is no way to beat it. ISU records...

3-9
3-9
2-10
3-9
6-7
6-7
5-7
7-6
2-10
3-9
4-8
7-5
7-5
2-10
7-7
7-5
9-3
4-7
3-8
1-10
2-9
3-8
0-10
3-8

And it just keeps going like this

hoghearted

I think I'd like to see some fresh blood, an innovative young coach.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 04:26:22 pm
Nobody wins at Iowa State. Its like in the sTar Trek movie, the point of the test is there is no way to beat it. ISU records...

3-9
3-9
2-10
3-9
6-7
6-7
5-7
7-6
2-10
3-9
4-8
7-5
7-5
2-10
7-7
7-5
9-3
4-7
3-8
1-10
2-9
3-8
0-10
3-8

And it just keeps going like this

Because they haven't had any above average coaches. And don't tell me Gene Chizik I would have won with Cam too.