Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big XII riding high

Started by Pig In The City, November 07, 2015, 07:53:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig In The City

ESPN reporting more than five teams in the Big 12 have had games over 500 yards. They talk about the high number of skill players and game changers in the conference. Is the SEC on the way down?  Something to discuss until game time.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

RebelW

They are all offense and no defense. They don't play grind ball. You don't have to have anybody special in the trenches. Just who can score the fastest.. Kansas state slowed the game down Thursday night and almost beat Baylor. I'm not a fan. OU is the only one that has a decent defense

ChitownHawg

How many Big 12 teams are in the playoff slots? How many for SEC? Some schools are catching up but the SEC isn't down.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HogPharmer

How many of the games that have had teams with 500+ yards total offense have also given up 500+ yards on defense in those games too?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Cinco de Hogo

November 07, 2015, 08:49:18 am #5 Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:28:48 am by Cinco de Hogo
#Just win!

ChicoHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 07, 2015, 09:06:02 am
And let's not forget how lousy the Big 12, (er, 10) schedules are.....
All the good teams play each other the next few weeks.   Their OOC schedules are not good except for OU as at least they played Tenn.  Baylor's OOC has been terrible for years.  They don't deserve to be in the top 4 now but if they win out (same for TCU) they will have a good chance to get in the playoff. 

onebadrubi

That's funny because all week long many of the Espn analyst were just talking about how bad tackling was in the big 12 allowing all of these huge yardage games. 

Also to note, as I travel through big 12 country for work, their sports radio shows non Texas shorthorn affiliates know the big 12 days are numbered as a conference.

Pig In The City

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 07, 2015, 09:35:22 am
That's funny because all week long many of the Espn analyst were just talking about how bad tackling was in the big 12 allowing all of these huge yardage games. 

Also to note, as I travel through big 12 country for work, their sports radio shows non Texas shorthorn affiliates know the big 12 days are numbered as a conference.

Well today they are spinning it like they are the greatest conference around. Lol

daBoar

Quote from: The Chief on November 07, 2015, 07:57:29 am
No defense.
Oklahoma leads the Big 12 at #21 nationally, OSU is a close second at #42.

Pig In The City

Quote from: daBoar on November 07, 2015, 09:40:34 am
Oklahoma leads the Big 12 at #21 nationally, OSU is a close second at #42.
Razorbacks are ranked 55th in total defense. Well below the top five Big 12 teams. Their defenses are not horrible except for Texas Tech. They are dead last in team defense.

Hogarusa

November 07, 2015, 09:55:09 am #11 Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:08:37 am by Hogarusa
Tcu, baylor, ou, and osu could easily hang with anyone in the SEC.  Big 12 have great offenses.  Our awesome SEC D couldnt force the 7th best Big 12 team to punt
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Dr. Starcs

Big 12 desperately needs to add a Boise st and/or Byu and get to 12 teams minimum. I wish the other schools would have the balls to leave and blow texas up (figuratively speaking) ok maybe not. Lol

HiggiePiggy

The sec west is doing ok.   The sec east is terrible.   Really it's Alabama and LSU maybe Florida.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pa-Paw

The Pac 12 once dominated the skill player market, but now the B12 is the champ. With the advent of the 7 on 7 programs in Texas high schools the B12 has become an offense heavy league.  The most athletic kids seem to like playing offense more than they do defense because it is just simply more exciting. When Arkansas was in the old SWC the state of Texas produced very few throwing quarterbacks and limited wide receivers.  The NFL seldom even looked at the SWC quarterbacks. Small schools like Baylor and TCU are living good ($$$) on 7 on 7 program.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 07, 2015, 09:38:43 am
Well today they are spinning it like they are the greatest conference around. Lol

They have to do that spin for their sake.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig In The City on November 07, 2015, 09:50:46 am
Razorbacks are ranked 55th in total defense. Well below the top five Big 12 teams. Their defenses are not horrible except for Texas Tech. They are dead last in team defense.

You do realize where the Hogs rank in a overall better conference don't you? IF the Hogs D was the same rank as OU's then do you honestly think we wouldn't have a much better record than we do.................come on man. Little 12 D's are not that good. SIX SEC teams rank in the FBS top 25 in total D as opposed to only ONE from the little 12.

P.S. ranked 55 is not WELL below the top 5 in the little 12.................It is only WELL below one of them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cinco de Hogo

How can ya'll dis B12 defenses and then turn right around and bash anyone who dares to critic Arkansas defense?

I would just leave it along if I were you. 

It is what it is.

45-38

HiggiePiggy

Yeah.  Our defense has been pretty bad the last 3 games.   

DeltaBoy

In the next 2 weeks I hope the Big 12 implodes.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HiggiePiggy

Not me.  I don't want to see notre Dame in the final 4. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 07, 2015, 08:06:45 am
How many Big 12 teams are in the playoff slots? How many for SEC? Some schools are catching up but the SEC isn't down.
The SEC as a whole is down a bit from its peak, but that doesn't mean its weak by any means.

should be interesting to see how the SEC does in bowls this year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Last Year Bowl Record

Conference         W   L   Pct   Ranked teams
Conf. USA           4   1   .800   
Pacific-12           6   2   .750   (5-1 , .833)
Independents     2   1   .667   
SEC                 7    5   .583   (2-5, .286)
Big Ten           5   5   .500   (3-1, .750)
Sun Belt          1   1   .500   
Mountain West   3   4   .429   (1-0, 1.000)
American            2   3   .400   
ACC                   4   7   .364   (2-2, .500)
Big 12             2   5   .286   (1-2, .333)
Mid-American   1   3   .250   
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

SEC was probably at its pinnacle in 2007 when LSU won the championship and the conference as a whole went 7-2 in bowl games.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2015, 12:57:43 pm
SEC was probably at its pinnacle in 2007 when LSU won the championship and the conference as a whole went 7-2 in bowl games.

I don't know I think it was when  Alabama and LSU played for the national championship.  Here the last couple of years it has been going down.  The east has been going down pretty much since urban Meyer left Florida. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 17, 2015, 01:15:24 pm
I don't know I think it was when  Alabama and LSU played for the national championship.  Here the last couple of years it has been going down.  The east has been going down pretty much since urban Meyer left Florida. 
yeah, that year the SEC was 6-3 in bowls, but one bowl had 2 SEC teams, so its hard to count that against the SEC.

Murr

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 07, 2015, 10:04:39 am
Big 12 desperately needs to add a Boise st and/or Byu and get to 12 teams minimum. I wish the other schools would have the balls to leave and blow texas up (figuratively speaking) ok maybe not. Lol

If the B12 gets left out again, expect OU to push for expansion to 12 teams if deregulation doesn't pass the NCAA this January (it's expected to pass) or OU leaves the B12.  Supposedly the only schools interested in expanding are OU, Baylor and WVU.  The favorites are Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston.  BYU just won't agree to terms (no Sunday play) while Boise would need BYU to join just to make it somewhat feasible economically for travel expenses. None of those schools would add enough value to the pot to break even without a conference network.

DeltaBoy

The Big 12 needs to pick up Houston and Memphis.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.