Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU/Oregon game

Started by ChicoHog, October 30, 2015, 01:47:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicoHog

Just finished watching the Oregon/AZ st game.   Some of the strangest play calling I have ever seen from both sides.  At the end of OT #4 (Oregon up by 6 as they missed 2 point try on a stupid trick play) ASU had first and goal at the 3 with 4 downs to get a TD to tie and maybe get two point conversion to win the game.  they throw it on first down incomplete.  then they throw it again on 2nd down and throw an interception.  Makes no sense.  4 downs to get 3 yards against a very mediocre defense and you don't run the ball?  And earlier Oregon did almost the same thing but got lucky and converted on 4th and goal at end of regulation.  Both teams can't stop anyone on defense. 

pigture perfect

The spread doesn't work as well in the Red Zone.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

heatmiser

That is because the ASU coach (Todd Graham) is horrible. Talk about micro-manager. I am pretty sure he calls all of the plays...for offense and defense. Every time the camera is on him, he is doing the hand signals and yelling at someone (he can never be wrong, right?).

I didn't see the whole game, but what you stated makes sense. In the first quarter ASU was running almost at-will. Next thing you know it is 3rd and 1 and guess what: Shotgun (ha); Pass (haha); to a WR screen on short side of the field that is dropped for a loss (hahaha; I would be pissed). HC/OC are too committed to passing game.
Arkansas Razorbacks

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 30, 2015, 01:47:45 am
Just finished watching the Oregon/AZ st game.   Some of the strangest play calling I have ever seen from both sides.  At the end of OT #4 (Oregon up by 6 as they missed 2 point try on a stupid trick play) ASU had first and goal at the 3 with 4 downs to get a TD to tie and maybe get two point conversion to win the game.  they throw it on first down incomplete.  then they throw it again on 2nd down and throw an interception.  Makes no sense.  4 downs to get 3 yards against a very mediocre defense and you don't run the ball?  And earlier Oregon did almost the same thing but got lucky and converted on 4th and goal at end of regulation.  Both teams can't stop anyone on defense.

You need to get a life, Chico.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

It's the pac 12, that's what they do, except for Stanford. It is a spread, read option, throw it as often as you can league.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Just finished watching the Oregon/AZ st game.   Some of the strangest play calling I have ever seen from both sides.  At the end of OT #4 (Oregon up by 6 as they missed 2 point try on a stupid trick play) ASU had first and goal at the 3 with 4 downs to get a TD to tie and maybe get two point conversion to win the game.  they throw it on first down incomplete.  then they throw it again on 2nd down and throw an interception.  Makes no sense.  4 downs to get 3 yards against a very mediocre defense and you don't run the ball?   

Yet, if they had done as you believe they should have and not made it, then one could take the very opposite stance you are taking and be just as justified.

Right?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: heatmiser on October 30, 2015, 06:23:07 am
That is because the ASU coach (Todd Graham) is horrible. Talk about micro-manager. I am pretty sure he calls all of the plays...for offense and defense. Every time the camera is on him, he is doing the hand signals and yelling at someone (he can never be wrong, right?).

I didn't see the whole game, but what you stated makes sense. In the first quarter ASU was running almost at-will. Next thing you know it is 3rd and 1 and guess what: Shotgun (ha); Pass (haha); to a WR screen on short side of the field that is dropped for a loss (hahaha; I would be pissed). HC/OC are too committed to passing game.

Did you see early i the game whe they had to burn a To on defense, he is screaming at one of his players, who is pointing at his play card and then at the signal board. Graham goes and looks at it, then starts yelling at the GA who is flipping the cards, apparently he put up pictures of a twinkie, wonderwoman, a corvette, and donald duck when it was supposed to a be a banana, batgirl, a camero, and woody woodpecker.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jborohog09

If the receiver hadn't been so lazy on his route they might have scored instead of being intercepted on that second down.  Pathetic effort on that guys part.  I also thought Oregon's TD in the third OT was also an incomplete pass.  Really odd game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2015, 09:20:17 am
Did you see early i the game whe they had to burn a To on defense, he is screaming at one of his players, who is pointing at his play card and then at the signal board. Graham goes and looks at it, then starts yelling at the GA who is flipping the cards, apparently he put up pictures of a twinkie, wonderwoman, a corvette, and donald duck when it was supposed to a be a banana, batgirl, a camero, and woody woodpecker.

Haha that's hilarious.

Funny they are now talking about Az st stealing signals.  You only here about that with Az st and auburn.  There is a connection there

ChicoHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 30, 2015, 07:34:53 am
You need to get a life, Chico.
I won't argue with that but the wife had gone to bed and it was a close game.  Wasn't too late out here in CA.  I am not an AZ st. fan but I really hate Oregon so I was hoping the Sun Devils would hang on. 

Jackrabbit-I'm an emptynester now so it's work, go home eat dinner and watch TV (lot of sports), play golf on the weekend and repeat the cycle.  Pretty boring!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 30, 2015, 09:40:19 am
Haha that's hilarious.

Funny they are now talking about Az st stealing signals.  You only here about that with Az st and auburn.  There is a connection there

What's the connection?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 30, 2015, 09:40:19 am
Haha that's hilarious.

See, I have no problem with stealing signs and signals. If you are going to do something that opponent can see, well, you are kind of asking for it.

hogsanity

ChicoHog

Quote from: Jborohog09 on October 30, 2015, 09:40:09 am
If the receiver hadn't been so lazy on his route they might have scored instead of being intercepted on that second down.  Pathetic effort on that guys part.  I also thought Oregon's TD in the third OT was also an incomplete pass.  Really odd game.
Agree.  Not sure how they did not overturn that one.  And the fourth down prayer that Adams threw earlier was intended for a different receiver I think but the guy made a great play so give him credit. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2015, 09:56:36 am
See, I have no problem with stealing signs and signals. If you are going to do something that opponent can see, well, you are kind of asking for it.

Oh I agree.  I think most coaches spend their time preparing to play where I think gus ms graham want to try and one up everybody by knowing what's coming because head to head they fear they can't win without those type of edges. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on October 30, 2015, 08:26:37 am
Yet, if they had done as you believe they should have and not made it, then one could take the very opposite stance you are taking and be just as justified.

Right?
wrong. that is what 3rd and fourth down is for....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on October 30, 2015, 08:26:37 am

Right?

against Oregon's D from the 3 I have to run it on either 1st or 2nd down.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 30, 2015, 10:17:13 am
wrong. that is what 3rd and fourth down is for....

Yeah, if every OC would call plays like internet experts ...

The best I've personally ever seen in red zone scoring play calling for Mr. Bobby Petrino.  IMO he's a great offensive mind, period, but I think he's unrivaled in red zone playcalling.

And I think it's because he was completely unpredictable.  There were tons of time where he would do just as the OP complains about with ASU, but he had a feel for when to call runs and when to run play action and throw to a TE, or a FB, or a slant, or whatever.

But even Bobby wasn't perfect (and that's not a play on words!!).

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 30, 2015, 09:52:42 am
Jackrabbit-I'm an emptynester now so it's work, go home eat dinner and watch TV (lot of sports), play golf on the weekend and repeat the cycle.  Pretty boring!

Forgot you are a west coaster, so that's a forgivable sin. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

It is Pac12 football is full of fruits and nutts.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.