Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Does Torii Hunter Rank In "Arkansas Greatest Athletes" List?

Started by S.A.D.C, October 27, 2015, 03:47:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

S.A.D.C

Torii Hunter retired today after an excellent baseball career.  It got me thinking- where does he rank on the list of greatest athletes from Arkansas?  I am not from here and don't have much knowledge of Arkansas Sports History...  Is Hunter even in the Top 10?

pigture perfect

It's according to how far back you want to go. I would have him behind Lou Brock, Dizzy Dean, Paul Dean, Kevin McReynolds, George Kell and Brooks Robinson in baseball.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawkhawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 27, 2015, 03:54:40 pm
It's according to how far back you want to go. I would have him behind Lou Brock, Dizzy Dean, Paul Dean, Kevin McReynolds, George Kell and Brooks Robinson in baseball.

He is ahead of Paul Dean and Kevin McReynolds as a MLB player.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hawkhawg on October 27, 2015, 04:14:59 pm
He is ahead of Paul Dean and Kevin McReynolds as a MLB player.

Agreed, though Kevin may have had more natural baseball ability.  Loved duck hunting too much..
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

pigture perfect

Preacher Roe was another good'un. Torii is/has been my favorite player for the last decade or so.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 27, 2015, 09:51:41 pm
Preacher Roe was another good'un. Torii is/has been my favorite player for the last decade or so.

Forgot about Preacher.  His younger brother was my high school chemistry teacher. 

And, even though they aren't related (spell their last names differently), wasn't Schoolboy Rowe an Arkansan as well?

Regarding Torii, what has helped him in the minds of fans is that his leadership, attitude and clubhouse presence have made him extremely valuable to teams, and over the years he has achieved "great ambassador" status, meaning all the talking heads love him and talk about his intangibles as much or more than his stats.  Now, if he had only been able to keep his buddy Basil's head on straight...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hawkhawg

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

wildwolf

Former 3 time Olympian and World Record holder Earl Bell of Jonesboro.