Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Bret hold Alex Collins back? (Only one man could stop AC)

Started by Malvin, December 11, 2017, 09:56:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FrJoseph

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 11:44:15 am
This is just another in the 100 threads we will see the nest 2 weeks bringing up BB to get clicks/replies because until the early singing day and NSD in FEB there is not going to be alot of fb news except the naming of a DC.

I mean look how many HDN and BP threads we still see. HDN has not coached here in a decade and BP has been gone 6 full seasons now.

So what do you attribute the fact that Alex can get the corner on NFL linebackers now, when he couldn't even get the corner on SEC Defenive linemen in the SEC? It's not another "Knock" so to speak on Bret, it is just the style that he thought would be successful. Alex got bigger and slower as he stayed at AR. That is just a fact. He still had an amazing career.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

PorkRinds

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 11, 2017, 12:37:27 pm
So what do you attribute the fact that Alex can get the corner on NFL linebackers now, when he couldn't even get the corner on SEC Defenive linemen in the SEC? It's not another "Knock" so to speak on Bret, it is just the style that he thought would be successful. Alex got bigger and slower as he stayed at AR. That is just a fact. He still had an amazing career.

Fr Joe

Agreed.

hview

I think AC spend's a lot of time focusing on improvement of his footwork. I don't recall everything he does, but he's a big fan of Irish Dancing. The guy is amazing the way he can cut on a dime, and run by a defender. Maybe our coaching staff needs to look at his work out  routines.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Beached on December 11, 2017, 10:04:10 am
Uh, the whole program was held back.
THIS. All you need to do is look around and listen. Everybody has more excitement and hope than we've had in 5 years.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 12:47:44 pm
THIS. All you need to do is look around and listen. Everybody has more excitement and hope than we've had in 5 years.

Uh, do we really need to go pull up all the posts from last Monday/Tues that said in some form " IF Morris is the hire, I am done!"?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: rude1 on December 11, 2017, 12:24:06 pm
Another victim of "bodies by Herb" myth. Every player brought into this program was immediately stacked more mass onto them and subsequently loss speed and agility. But hey those before and after pictures were sure great to look at. Unfortunately when they got to the NFL combine we found out not only were they were slower, they were weak also...........
This is the way I see it as well...and it wasn't just Alex Collins. I think Bielema and his staff had a plan specifically to add mass even if at the expense of speed and agility. That was the plan, and it didn't work. That's the culture of football he grew akin to with midwestern Iowa/Wisconsin style football.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

zebradynasty

Collins had a very solid career here. I think what you are seeing now is him being more focused, better individual conditioning and being in a system that matches his skills set. It's hard to do ALL that and be a good student in college. I don't see that Bret hurt Alex teaching him how to run between the tackles is paying dividends now.

southeasthog

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 11, 2017, 12:37:27 pm

Fr Joe

2013 - 1026 yards
2014 - 1100 yards
2015 - 1577 yards

Must have got the corner on someone a few times.

DeltaBoy

DMAC still was doing good as late as 2015

2015   Dallas Cowboys   16   10   239   1,089   4.6   50   3
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Some of you guys and your conspiracy theories...  HV is a revisionist's paradise.  Keep in mind that 2 of those years jonathan williams was essentially a thousand yard back also (900 and 1190).  So if that is what CBB did to "hurt" AC, then I'm all for it.

Wild Bill Hog

If it had to do with Razorback football, Bert squandered most everything.

PORKULATOR

If anything he help that young man develop into a better back he did not hold him back Jesus Christ
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 11, 2017, 07:51:38 pm
If anything he help that young man develop into a better back he did not hold him back Jesus Christ

Your opinion only.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 10:09:57 am
I think Alex is much more dedicated to the game now than he was at Arkansas. It happens.
Good point.  He had some "WTH" moments off the field.  I'm sure he as matured a lot.  Plus a lot of success is about opportunity.  Especially RBs, where normally their success is about how good the O-line is.  There are some elite guys but the majority of backs in the NFL would all be good if they had good lines and would all be bad behind poor lines. 

19Hog78

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 11, 2017, 07:53:57 pm
Your opinion only.

The words of Bret Bielema in 2014 support his opinion:

"I think he understood now, 'Wait a minute. You mean if I lift the way they want me lift and I eat the way I'm supposed to eat and I sleep the way I'm supposed to sleep, I might get better,'" Bielema said. "And (when) that light bulb goes off, some really good things could happen."

https://collegefootball.ap.org/article/improved-diet-sleep-habits-help-arkansas-collins-0

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 11, 2017, 10:35:38 am
Just FYI in case anyone was wondering...he's listed with the Ravens as being
5-10, 210 lbs.

Arkansas had him listed at 5-11, 215 lbs.

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster.html

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/?season=2015-16

He's carrying the weight differently.
This is my non-signature signature.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogBreath

Quote from: hog of steele on December 11, 2017, 10:36:45 am
I think one thing BB did for the razorbacks is put out some good NFL talent. Clearly he didn't get it done here but our NFL presence has increased which is nothing but good for AR.

We are experiencing the same thing in baseball right now.

Bert helped the diamond Hogs too?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Paul

He ate too many hushpuppies while working at the Catfish Hole

clutch

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 11, 2017, 11:32:19 am
I’ve logged many hours in the gym to know what I am talking about. Higher reps with lesser weight tears down muscle? Lol I don’t know about that. I guess speaking in 100% absolutes, I can only speak to my own body chemistry....if I want to gain weight and get stronger I would go on a serious regimen of low rep, heavy weight workouts for 3–4 months. If I did so and dieted correctly I could easily gain 20 pounds of muscle and maintain 20% body fat. If I wanted to “lean up” I would do something completely different than this.

I’m of the opinion Collins wasn’t “fat” while here. It just looked to me like our players were being built and molded per something like the example I gave above. I could be way off but that’s what it looked to me like seeing them in person watching them play.

I seriously doubt you "easily gained" 20 pounds of muscle. It's extremely hard, and takes quite a while, to gain 20 pounds of actual muscle. You probably gained 20 pounds, and put on a lot of muscle, but 20 pounds of actual muscle is a ton. Like years of work for most people. Extremely dedicated people can put on about 5-10 pounds of lean muscle per year probably. More if they are beginners I guess. But 5-10 pounds of actual muscle is a whole lot of muscle.

If you gain 20 pounds of muscle in 3-4 months you are either a freak of nature, or on some serious juice.

870hogfan

Alex Collins held Alex Collins back

IronHog

I've logged many hours in the gym to know what I am talking about. Higher reps with lesser weight tears down muscle? Lol I don't know about that. I guess speaking in 100% absolutes, I can only speak to my own body chemistry....if I want to gain weight and get stronger I would go on a serious regimen of low rep, heavy weight workouts for 3–4 months. If I did so and dieted correctly I could easily gain 20 pounds of muscle and maintain 20% body fat. If I wanted to "lean up" I would do something completely different than this.

I'm of the opinion Collins wasn't "fat" while here. It just looked to me like our players were being built and molded per something like the example I gave above. I could be way off but that's what it looked to me like seeing them in person watching them play.

He was fat.

An NFL running back and a gym rat have nothing in common
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jkstock04

Quote from: clutch on December 11, 2017, 08:59:53 pm
I seriously doubt you "easily gained" 20 pounds of muscle. It's extremely hard, and takes quite a while, to gain 20 pounds of actual muscle. You probably gained 20 pounds, and put on a lot of muscle, but 20 pounds of actual muscle is a ton. Like years of work for most people. Extremely dedicated people can put on about 5-10 pounds of lean muscle per year probably. More if they are beginners I guess. But 5-10 pounds of actual muscle is a whole lot of muscle.

If you gain 20 pounds of muscle in 3-4 months you are either a freak of nature, or on some serious juice.
20% body fat ain't exactly "lean muscle." But it's not fat slob either. Most college O-linemen should be in the 20-25% body fat range in my opinion. Ya you aren't getting sculpted/chiseled doing this. This is gaining mass and getting stronger. Tons of calories and supplements. I shouldn't have said it was "easily" done but if you have the right body type/frame it's for sure doable.

If a guy is 20% body fat at 260lbs and works it up to 280 over a summer and still maintains that 20% body fat....to me that's 20 lbs of muscle.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

870hogfan

If it wasn't for Coach B than Collins would have never been here.

urkillnmesmalls

I've logged many hours in the gym to know what I am talking about. Higher reps with lesser weight tears down muscle? Lol I don't know about that. I guess speaking in 100% absolutes, I can only speak to my own body chemistry....if I want to gain weight and get stronger I would go on a serious regimen of low rep, heavy weight workouts for 3–4 months. If I did so and dieted correctly I could easily gain 20 pounds of muscle and maintain 20% body fat. If I wanted to "lean up" I would do something completely different than this.

I'm of the opinion Collins wasn't "fat" while here. It just looked to me like our players were being built and molded per something like the example I gave above. I could be way off but that's what it looked to me like seeing them in person watching them play.

Dude...this thread is in the trash, and rightfully so.  Without steroids, there is NO way you can build 20 lbs of muscle in 3-4 months.  A great athlete using the correct form, eating right, and getting the right amount of sleep....can gain about 10 in a year. 

And you COMPLETELY misread my post.  Lighter weight, and higher reps...just tears down LESS muscle than heavier weight with lower reps.  There is no "lean muscle."  Just muscle.  If you want to grow them faster and bigger...more weight, less reps, MORE tear down, and subsequently larger muscles as they rebuild.  That's assuming you don't over train. 

You can argue all you want, but you're dead wrong.  If you're gaining 20lbs in 3-4 months, you're adding fat...period.  Steroids or HGH, different story altogether.  Not delving into that here... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hog.goblin

Man there are a lot stupid people on here

Alex had a fantastic college career
Alex made a mistake after leaving college by bulking up for the NFL.  He admitted this.
He still played well for Seattle when they let him play.  He fumbled at a higher rate than desired.
Their loss, Baltimore's gain.

This really has nothing to do with Bret, other than maybe it's one of the few examples where he handled things right.