Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everyone keeps mentioning GUS, why would he want to leave Auburn for Arkansas?

Started by Applebottomjeans, November 15, 2017, 10:58:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawginj

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 15, 2017, 02:55:37 pm
This is my thoughts as well, not that he will be but, I don't think we can afford to take the chance.

I don't want him to be our next Jimmy Johnson, where we have to look back and say what if. Now if he turns us down, that's fine, close the door and move on, but I do think we have to offer him.
Gus couldn't wipe the fungus from Jimmy' s toes. We would be taking more of a chance on Gus than we would Mike.

DemiHOG

Let me work for a million for one year, I can take care of my family

Hawginj

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 15, 2017, 02:56:43 pm
Yet people still want to hire him here. He's more problems than he's worth

I don't care at this point.

At least we would add some speed to the team under Malzahn. Without that, you are a 3-9 or 4-8 team.

I just want Bret gone.
This is my non-signature signature.

fademe

Quote from: Applebottomjeans on November 15, 2017, 10:58:59 am
Don't get me wrong, he'd be great but why would he leave Auburn for Arkansas? Because he is always one loss away from being canned at Auburn?  He'd be great but would he leave Auburn without getting fired?  Had to alter my text here in order to not fill it with the (I️ )

From an Auburn fan's perspective:

-Less pressure to win championships
-Being home and near parents, which is apparently big for both him and especially Mrs. Kristi
-Being at a place he's wanted to coach and where he's really well liked (in some parts of the state)

Not sure he'd leave Auburn without getting fired, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go home. How deep a run his team makes this year could be a determining factor too. With the removal of AD Jay Jacobs, with whom Gus did not get along, Gus will probably be a part of the new AD search, and it would give him a fresh start of sorts within the AD. So, I think there are a few things working in Auburn's favor. Plus, the fanbase is now in love with him again after this most recent victory.

HognitiveDissonance

Tommy Tuberville went 13-0 one year, and beat Alabama six years in a row, and was still 'replaced'.

Let that sink in.

He beat Alabama SIX YEARS IN A ROW. I don't care if it was pre-Saban, that's still unheard of.

And was still fired.

Proof positive that Auburn is a no-win situation.

fademe

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 15, 2017, 11:41:56 pm
Tommy Tuberville went 13-0 one year, and beat Alabama six years in a row, and was still 'replaced'.

Let that sink in.

He beat Alabama SIX YEARS IN A ROW. I don't care if it was pre-Saban, that's still unheard of.

And was still fired.

Proof positive that Auburn is a no-win situation.

Tuberville also brought every bit of that on himself. His recruiting was an abject failure in his last three seasons here, especially offensively. And as a result, the offense could hardly move the ball in 2007-2008. I believe 40% of his last two recruiting classes were non-qual, sign-and-place JUCO guys.

HognitiveDissonance

The main reason Auburn is a no-win situation is they're always in Alabama's shadow.
Even when they have a good run of years and have overall success, and even success over Alabama, it's never going to be enough. Alabama will ALWAYS be the top school in the state.
That leads to overwhelming, out-of-control pressure on the football coach. He's fighting a losing battle. It's NOT a good job.
It's also the reason Auburn has such a shaky NCAA probation history. Always trying to keep up with the Joneses leads to bending more rules.
Back in the day, it was the same scenario with Texas A&M and Texas. A&M used to be on probation all the time; they were always trying to keep up with big brother.
I firmly believe this.
Look back over history at the schools with the most NCAA infractions, and you generally find a big brother/little brother thing going on.

Hawginj

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 16, 2017, 09:28:14 am
The main reason Auburn is a no-win situation is they're always in Alabama's shadow.
Even when they have a good run of years and have overall success, and even success over Alabama, it's never going to be enough. Alabama will ALWAYS be the top school in the state.
That leads to overwhelming, out-of-control pressure on the football coach. He's fighting a losing battle. It's NOT a good job.
It's also the reason Auburn has such a shaky NCAA probation history. Always trying to keep up with the Joneses leads to bending more rules.
Back in the day, it was the same scenario with Texas A&M and Texas. A&M used to be on probation all the time; they were always trying to keep up with big brother.
I firmly believe this.
Look back over history at the schools with the most NCAA infractions, and you generally find a big brother/little brother thing going on.
The entire SEC is in Bamas shadow.

OtterHog

Quote from: Hawginj on November 16, 2017, 11:52:55 am
The entire SEC is in Bamas shadow.

Yes, but there's only one school where you can get fired solely for losing to Bama.

ipigsooie

Hawginj

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 16, 2017, 11:53:59 am
Yes, but there's only one school where you can get fired solely for losing to Bama.
I disagree why you think Les got fired.

ipigsooie

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 16, 2017, 11:53:59 am

Tuberville did quite well against bama. What did that get him?

Gladstonesmoans

ipigsooie

This thread makes me laugh. I just read through it and 90 percent of it is, "less pressure here" or "dont have to beat bama" or he can win 8 games here and not get fired" or "fans dont expect as much."  The other 10% are his family.

This is awesome!  Good thing we are shooting for the moon! Well,  I always tell my wife if she just lowers her expectations ill never let her down. Sounds like good logic for out fan base as well.

ipigsooie

Hawginj

Quote from: Gladstonesmoans on November 16, 2017, 12:01:50 pm
How many of Tubberville's wins against Alabama were against Sabin?
irrevelavent point Tubbs beat Bama even went undefeated when it was unheard of in the SEC. Tubbs like Chizik were let go because of hot shot Oc's that made backroom deals so they could take over you know who the Oc's were? BFP and Gus Malzahn.

ipigsooie

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hawginj on November 16, 2017, 12:09:01 pm
irrevelavent point Tubbs beat Bama even went undefeated when it was unheard of in the SEC. Tubbs like Chizik were let go because of hot shot Oc's that made backroom deals so they could take over you know who the Oc's were? BFP and Gus Malzahn.

Its not an irrelevant point. Tubbs kicked Sabans butt.