Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everyone keeps mentioning GUS, why would he want to leave Auburn for Arkansas?

Started by Applebottomjeans, November 15, 2017, 10:58:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Applebottomjeans

Don't get me wrong, he'd be great but why would he leave Auburn for Arkansas? Because he is always one loss away from being canned at Auburn?  He'd be great but would he leave Auburn without getting fired?  Had to alter my text here in order to not fill it with the (I️ )

tasteslikechicken

Yes. They don't like him and have been just about ready to can him for a year and a half, plus a new AD is coming in.

Großer Kriegschwein

Multiple reasons that are about 50% to do with football. Apparently.
This is my non-signature signature.

elksnort

The obvious is: Less expectations at Arkansas.

I mean, look how long we have put up with this current garbage.

HF#1

If Gus leaves Auburn for Arkansas, it will be for the same reason Mike left Mizzou.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Lard

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Applebottomjeans on November 15, 2017, 10:58:59 am
Don't get me wrong, he'd be great but why would he leave Auburn for Arkansas? Because he is always one loss away from being canned at Auburn?  He'd be great but would he leave Auburn without getting fired?  Had to alter my text here in order to not fill it with the (I️ )
That's simple. His love for the state. Not to mention it's home. Now would he be my top choice? Probably not. But we can do worse and I think we've seen that.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Russ22

Auburn was going to fire him if he lost to Georgia last weekend and Alabama in the Iron Bowl. He would be 8-4 with losses to LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson and get fired. Maybe, he is looking for a fresh start with a team that would see 8-4 with the only losses to Top 15 teams as a good year.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

Hawg Red

You're talking about a fanbase that wanted him gone within this very season and a school that fired Gene Chizik two years after winning a damn national championship. You answered your own question, man.

AirWarren

Never happy when anyone is fired. People have families etc.

But there needs to be a change from the top down.

PorkRinds

Not sure why a guy that underperforms at Auburn would be so great for us.

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Lard

Quote from: AP85 on November 15, 2017, 11:43:01 am

uh....when people are making $1MM+ and they get fired I don't feel bad for them.   It will take the average Arkansan 20 years or more to make $1MM.  With more money comes more expectations and quicker response to your failures.  They all know it.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

Donny2665

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 11:43:34 am
Auburn is the Okie State of Alabama. Anyone who has that job will under perform.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

elksnort

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 11:43:34 am
There is a slide scale with EXPECTATIONS between Auburn and Arkansas.

I think you know this though.

10thPlanet

I would feel a lot worse if wasn't rich as F, and already onto the next job. They'll be fine.

PorkRinds

Quote from: elksnort on November 15, 2017, 11:50:01 am

So he's coming here so he can have lower expectations to live up to? Sounds awesome.

Bubba's Bruisers

The question on Gus will be his ability to recruit to Fayetteville.  He's had top 10 talent at AU, but won't have that at UA. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redneckfriend

Quote from: elksnort on November 15, 2017, 11:50:01 am

There is also a sliding scale of potential recruits. That said I think he has done a credible job a Auburn. Auburn is simply put a difficult job because you are sleeping next to an elephant. The one concern I have is that he is supposedly an offensive genius but his success has been mostly about great defensive recruits- he won't get those at Arkansas. I would put Gus as a 50/50 crap shoot at Arkansas.

LZH

8-4 at Auburn will get you fired, but right now 8-4 at Arkansas will get you a parade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on November 15, 2017, 12:04:53 pm
8-4 at Auburn will get you fired, but right now 8-4 at Arkansas will get you a parade.

For a couple of seasons anyway...

BadHog

Gus thinks he has a NC ready team at Auburn for next year. After GA win, he gets a big raise (while using the UA as a bargaining tool) and wife gets use of a private jet to come home when she wants. They are staying.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Applebottomjeans

With openings at Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss and possibly A&M and Nebraska...we've got some competition and would be happy to welcome Gus.  I generally ALWAYS root against Alabama in any game but I think it may be in Arkansas' best interest for Auburn to lose this year. 

I wonder who's running the ship now that JL is gone? 

I agree with everyone above....but I don't see Gus leaving Auburn willingly.

Also, a couple of people mentioned in other threads the rumors about CBB's drinking.  My friends mentioned running into him at some "exclusive" private bar and that he's definitely a drinker.  And that was a couple of years ago.  I honestly hate it for him.  He seems like a really awesome dude and it sucks that this hasn't worked out for him...at all.  But it's definitely time for a change and he knows it. 

Wishing him the best and crossing fingers for a bad ass hire.  I don't care how much we spend...as long as it's a GOOD hire.  I think Gus would be a good hire, if he'd come.

Edited- typo

sickboy

Hey! A little friendly tech advice for anyone interested and having the same issue with their iPhone:

If you want to get rid of the (I️) thing that apple screwed up... go to SETTTINGS --- GENERAL --- KEYBOARD --- TEXT REPLACEMENT -- and then hit the + in the top right corner. In the PHRASE section type a capital "I" and for the SHORTCUT section type a lower case "i".

You should be good to go because your autofill will negate the (I️).

31to6

I have a lot more sympathy for the collateral damage to the assistants and position coaches.

I do not shed one tear for dudes getting multi-million dollar buyouts.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 12:06:32 pm
For a couple of seasons anyway...

Truth. Frankly my first choice would probably be Norville, but I'd be fine with Gus. Only problem with him is that he might get a little too 'comfortable' while Norville would probably cut some throats to win because he's hungry....he is probably looking for a Top 5 gig down the road.

Everyone is so concerned about this five-year coaching carousel. As long as we can win, I couldn't care less.

Applebottomjeans

Quote from: sickboy on November 15, 2017, 12:09:43 pm
Hey! A little friendly tech advice for anyone interested and having the same issue with their iPhone:

If you want to get rid of the (I️) thing that apple screwed up... go to SETTTINGS --- GENERAL --- KEYBOARD --- TEXT REPLACEMENT -- and then hit the + in the top right corner. In the PHRASE section type a capital "I" and for the SHORTCUT section type a lower case "i".

You should be good to go because your autofill will negate the (I️).

Thanks! I googled after I posted this and found that updating my iOS would fix it. Did that and it worked

HogPharmer

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 11:53:04 am
So he's coming here so he can have lower expectations to live up to? Sounds awesome.

I don't know why everyone isn't thrilled about this possibility.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 15, 2017, 11:40:59 am
You're talking about a fanbase that wanted him gone within this very season and a school that fired Gene Chizik two years after winning a damn national championship. You answered your own question, man.
In talking with my uncle, a Hog fan marooned in Alabama, he says that far too many folks in 'Bama are totally loony when it comes to expectations. Heck, a few weeks back a number of tigger fans were ready to help Gus pack after their second half meltdown against LSU. Now a ton of the same folks are ready to give him a new contract, especially if he were to beat the Tide. I mean who the heck would want to put up with that kind of schizophrenic mind set year after year ???

I can promise had they lost last weekend to UGA the fires would be lit; the only thing that might have saved him would have been a win against their most hated of rivals in two weeks.

Hawginj

HotlantaHog

Gus will always be in the shadow of Nick Saban at Auburn. At Arkansas, he would be a legend and could retire here.

Hawginj

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 15, 2017, 12:54:52 pm
Gus will always be in the shadow of Nick Saban at Auburn. At Arkansas, he would be a legend and could retire here.
wouldn't he be under the same shadow at Arkansas? I don't know about you but i expect the next staff to beat Alabama and I don't mean once every 10 years!

JOKERHOG

I'm really happy if BB is fired.  He stole his salary for five years.  He should have to pay some back
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Donny2665

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 01:34:09 pm
wouldn't he be under the same shadow at Arkansas? I don't know about you but i expect the next staff to beat Alabama and I don't mean once every 10 years!

I'd be thrilled if the next coach beats Alabama occasionally. If he gets some 10- and 11-win seasons and still doesn't beat Alabama under Saban, it will be disappointing but won't get him fired at Arkansas.

sickboy

Quote from: Applebottomjeans on November 15, 2017, 12:28:13 pm
Thanks! I googled after I posted this and found that updating my iOS would fix it. Did that and it worked

Well, now you've learned me. I hadn't realize they fixed the bug in a new update. Going to update now. Thanks!

Calvin Swine

He wont.  Like Irwin said, his agent will just use this as an excuse to get a sweeter deal at Auburn, if they can string along the Hogs long enough. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 15, 2017, 01:39:28 pm
I'd be thrilled if the next coach beats Alabama occasionally. If he gets some 10- and 11-win seasons and still doesn't beat Alabama under Saban, it will be disappointing but won't get him fired at Arkansas.

He won't do that here. He has barely done that at Auburn with Top 10 talent. He won't get the talent at Arkansas he can at Auburn. Realistically he can be in a position to play for a NC every few years at Auburn. At Arkansas he'll be lucky to get to 10 wins.

Hawginj

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 15, 2017, 01:39:28 pm
wont get him fired at Auburn either!

elksnort

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 01:34:09 pm
How long have you been paying attention to Razorback football? What gives you the idea that the program can meety the expectations that YOU have?

Where is Hogsanity when he's needed?

GuvHog

Quote from: Calvin Swine on November 15, 2017, 01:42:09 pm
He wont.  Like Irwin said, his agent will just use this as an excuse to get a sweeter deal at Auburn, if they can string along the Hogs long enough. 

Yep, his agent will try that but if Auburn beats Alabama, Arkansas won't even bother offering Gus their HC job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawginj

Quote from: elksnort on November 15, 2017, 01:49:48 pm
How long have you been paying attention to Razorback football? What gives you the idea that the program can meety the expectations that YOU have?

Where is Hogsanity when he's needed?
since 1983. We are Arkansas is what gives me the idea that we can meet my expectations and if you had any pride they would be yours too. All it takes is the right coach with the right plan. That's it you don't believe it look around the landscape at teams succeeding and see what went on and when it happend.

Paul

Quote from: LZH on November 15, 2017, 12:25:50 pm
Truth. Frankly my first choice would probably be Norville, but I'd be fine with Gus. Only problem with him is that he might get a little too 'comfortable' while Norville would probably cut some throats to win because he's hungry....he is probably looking for a Top 5 gig down the road.

Everyone is so concerned about this five-year coaching carousel. As long as we can win, I couldn't care less.
Or maybe he's the next Broyles & retires here

Hawginj

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Paul on November 15, 2017, 02:48:35 pm
Or maybe he's the next Broyles & retires here

This is my thoughts as well, not that he will be but, I don't think we can afford to take the chance.

I don't want him to be our next Jimmy Johnson, where we have to look back and say what if. Now if he turns us down, that's fine, close the door and move on, but I do think we have to offer him.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ipigsooie

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 02:20:28 pm
Yep, his agent will try that but if Auburn beats Alabama, Arkansas won't even bother offering Gus their HC job.

All i can say is...."war damn eagle. " hurts to say but for 1  or 2 games i can bear it.

MC_Hog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 15, 2017, 11:05:12 am
Multiple reasons that are about 50% to do with football. Apparently.

Yet people still want to hire him here. He's more problems than he's worth

woodrow hog call

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 02:20:28 pm

Hogwash, you don't know that.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: Donny2665 on November 15, 2017, 11:45:44 am
Auburn is the Okie State of Alabama. Anyone who has that job will under perform.
Except Auburn is rated the 12th or 13th best football program in America and would be big brother in most states... Nothing like Okie Light....