Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Both coaches tomorrow coaching for their jobs....

Started by LZH, September 22, 2017, 05:39:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on September 22, 2017, 08:03:16 pm
Sumlin, quite likely.

CBB, not so much.

" GO HOGS "
Sumlin has just as big a buy out as CBB (and its due in full with in 60 days of termination)

Neither coach is getting fired in the near future.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hog.goblin

Quote from: jst01 on September 22, 2017, 09:31:41 pm
You implying that a winless SEC record gets him canned but one win doesnt?

No, I'm flat out stating that

jst01

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 22, 2017, 09:49:20 pm
No, I'm flat out stating that

I don't believe that, but nothing around here makes sense

hog.goblin

Quote from: jst01 on September 22, 2017, 09:53:03 pm
I don't believe that, but nothing around here makes sense

I don't like it, but the money makes it so

LZH

Quote from: Kevin on September 22, 2017, 08:07:05 pm
Lzh I find what your saying unbelievable

Hope it is true

Could be crap, but these are grown men that I heard this from. I don't think they meant he is going to be fired Sunday, but he needs to be A&M first and foremost.

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 22, 2017, 09:19:47 pm
Nope, Bret needs to win 3 more games to be coaching here in 2018.  The 2 nonconference games and any 1 of our SEC games.  That's right, 4 - 8 buys him one more year.  It's all about the buyout.

I tend to think we are past that. 5 - 7 is going to get him fired, for sure.

LZH

I will just offer this nugget before I hit the rest of my wine, anything short of a great year coach Bielema will be released at the end of this year. I thought he would get six years just like you did, but that is not what I am hearing at all, he has very little support from the people that matter. That could be just a story, but it is the one I am hearing.

hog.goblin

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 10:36:06 pm
I will just offer this nugget before I hit the rest of my wine, anything short of a great year coach Bielema will be released at the end of this year. I thought he would get six years just like you did, but that is not what I am hearing at all, he has very little support from the people that matter. That could be just a story, but it is the one I am hearing.

We are hearing different things then.  Hopefully Bret finds a way to turn this around so we don't have to find out.

GoHogs1091

This game has the potential of being an elevated pillow fight.

Both teams' players are probably going to try real hard for their respective Head Coach (provided Bielema has not lost his team).

jkstock04

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 10:28:47 pm
Could be crap, but these are grown men that I heard this from. I don't think they meant he is going to be fired Sunday, but he needs to be A&M first and foremost.

I tend to think we are past that. 5 - 7 is going to get him fired, for sure.
If you believe the 16 wins in two years rumor this sort of does make sense. Let's say we only win 4 or 5 games this year. That would mean next year he has to has to basically go undefeated in the regular season..11 or 12 win year regular season, zero chance.

I still don't believe Jeff Long will fire Bielema for not winning enough football games. If it happens it won't be Jeff Longs doing. I'm curious who's doing you think it will be? This guy stood up at the podium right after the TCU debacle and reminded/told fans we aren't a win first university...lol he ain't about to pull that type of trigger.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Porkette on September 22, 2017, 07:35:24 pm
I know they're Texas radio guys, but just to be clear here, if that statement of theirs  is true of Arkansas, it's every bit as true of the Texas A&M program.

Agreed. About 10 minutes after I said the high-water mark for A&M was their first year (Manziel's freshman year), they said the same thing. They talked about "the one great season."

Here's some entertaining words from Fox's Joel Klatt:
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/09/21/fox-analyst-joel-klatt-texas-am-fans-kevin-sumlin-players-want-flip
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Rayzback

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Jimbob111

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 22, 2017, 09:19:47 pm
Nope, Bret needs to win 3 more games to be coaching here in 2018.  The 2 nonconference games and any 1 of our SEC games.  That's right, 4 - 8 buys him one more year.  It's all about the buyout.

The problem is, I agree with this. And that's what troubles me. Because 4-8 buys him 2018 but everyone will know unless he runs the table, he's gone. Which kills recruiting, kills his incentive to win games, and basically wastes a year. Any gomer can see that Beliema will not get it done at Arkansas. In year 5, he is regressing and it's plain to see even if Beliema and Long won't admit it.

So no, I don't think he'll be fired mid-season for any reason. Barring a 1-11 season, I don't think he'll be fired at the end of the season. But everyone knows that 2018 is the end therefore, why bother keeping a lame duck coach?
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

buldozer

I heard a talking head analyst from CBS Sports on the radio today talking about the razorbacks. He was sayin when HDN was arkansas coach there was a clear identity, run the football right over people. When BP was the coach there was a clear identity, throw it all over the field. He said now Arkansas has no identity, no one call tell you what our program will do because its as if the coach does not know. I hate to admit it, but this guy was right on point.

Someone should lose their job today as poorly as each of these coaches have prepared their respective teams in recent games, unfortunately we now live in a world with little accountability where an ever increasing number of folks think participation ribbons are good enough and winning is just flaunting how good you are. So both of these coaches will probably hang on for another week and most likely until end of this year no matter how poorly their performance is today.

I have predicted for a couple years now that CBB will jump ship before it sinks to the point that he will be fired. He can see the writing on the wall at this point. His apologist approach indicates he no longer believes he can win here himself. He is hanging on to that $4.5M a year as long as he can then he will jump ship to Nebraska or some other dumpster fire so he can start over with his foolishness and unsubstantiated claims about how great he will make the program,

Broadway Rob

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 07:16:47 pm
I wouldn't think he would either. But if he had a commitment from a coach such as that kid from Memphis, or Dan Mullen, or Fuentes at Virginia Tech, his mind may be made up by Sunday afternoon. And as I said before, he will have plenty of help making up his mind come December.

For clarification, are you saying that Fuentes or Mullen would come here?  Lateral move for Mullen and a downgrade for Fuentes.  Not saying Arkansas isn't a better job than VT, but his path to success is much easier in Blacksburg, and from that perspective only, VT is a slightly better job.

I hope Norvell from Memphis is our next coach.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

hawgon

I kind of gather that Norvell has almost been campaigning for the job as much as he can for a job that isn't open yet.  I'm pretty sure that he has let it be known that all we have to do is ask.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on September 23, 2017, 07:54:59 am
I kind of gather that Norvell has almost been campaigning for the job as much as he can for a job that isn't open yet.  I'm pretty sure that he has let it be known that all we have to do is ask.

I guess he is laying the groundwork for a job that at the very least, won't be open until the end of 2018, if then. I guess the hand written note to Jeff Long comes next season.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: Broadway Rob on September 23, 2017, 06:55:33 am
For clarification, are you saying that Fuentes or Mullen would come here?  Lateral move for Mullen and a downgrade for Fuentes.  Not saying Arkansas isn't a better job than VT, but his path to success is much easier in Blacksburg, and from that perspective only, VT is a slightly better job.

I hope Norvell from Memphis is our next coach.

Those are just names being tossed around.

Fwiw, I like Norvell  too.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 22, 2017, 09:38:20 pm
Sumlin has just as big a buy out as CBB (and its due in full with in 60 days of termination)

Neither coach is getting fired in the near future.

Sumlin will if he has a bad season.  Arkansas will keep CBB for at least 2 more years.  Even if we have a 5 win season. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?