Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game won or lost in the first half

Started by WoooPig2018, September 22, 2017, 07:41:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WoooPig2018

Alright y'all, I think this game comes down to the first 30 minutes.  The past 3 games (not counting Florida A&M) the hogs have been outscored 70 to 0.  The past 3 games against power 5 teams, A&M has been outscored in the second half 92 to 45.  Bielema starts drinkin the Skol and Sumlin starts knockin down the Hennessy during halftime and neither can seem to close.  I'm taking the Hogs this weekend but have some reservations.. what's everyone else think?

CPO Hog

I'm confident that if the HOGS can build a 35 point lead in the 1st half they will win it.

WoooPig2018

Agreed.  All I needed to know about (f)Aggies is that they lost to UCLA and those pretty boys of California. All those California kids are worried about is combing there hair, smoking weed, and takin a knee during the National Anthem. You blow a leed like they had to a team that lost to Memphis! Got to come away from Dallas with a win.

hawgdavis

You can't win a game in the 1st half but you damn sure can lose one. I hope the hogs come out like a biting sow and wear the aggies out in both halves and get that damn monkey off their back

BOAR_N2BWILD

We have to have at least a 60 point lead at half time. Historically speaking, we can't stop a cold in the 2nd half and can't score.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

hawgdavis

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on September 22, 2017, 08:12:10 am
We have to have at least a 60 point lead at half time. Historically speaking, we can't stop a cold in the 2nd half and can't score.

64 would be even better lol

WoooPig2018

hawgtime

true, with CBBs teams, i don't feel comfortable unless we are 30 points ahead in the 4th.  if we are 7-10 points behind in the second half, i don't even expect to win.  (sigh)

hogcard1964

I realize you're being facetious, but we honestly have to be up 30+ at the half in order for a lead to be safe.

AugustaHog

I don't want to be down at halftime, that's for sure.  The stat that somebody produced last week of how many times we have come back after trailing at the half and it was abysmal. 

31to6

Quote from: WoooPig2018 on September 22, 2017, 07:41:05 am
Alright y'all, I think this game comes down to the first 30 minutes.  The past 3 games (not counting Florida A&M) the hogs have been outscored 70 to 0.  The past 3 games against power 5 teams, A&M has been outscored in the second half 92 to 45.  Bielema starts drinkin the Skol and Sumlin starts knockin down the Hennessy during halftime and neither can seem to close.  I'm taking the Hogs this weekend but have some reservations.. what's everyone else think?
I don't. I think it will be won or lost in the 4th quarter. Enos offense, when clicking, is capable of putting up 21 points in a quarter. We've won shootouts. We have some jitters on offense but we have fast WRs, good backs and a QB that can really spin it.

This team MUST become the kind of team that plays hard even late in the game when things are in reach but not looking good.

Great teams.. heck even good teams... fight to the very end--because you just never know when you are going to get a big play that turns the momentum. A pick-6 is a two score swing that can turn the "game icing drive" into a big come from behind win.

That being said, you might be right. If they come out in their two-back set and are able to run the ball down our throat early *and* our offense sputters the team might believe they can't win and the wheels will fall off (See Auburn last year.)

But while the Aggies have the talent to do that. They do not have the team to do that. They are just as likely to get a big lead and then blow it and implode. The Hogs just have to *know* that this Aggie team is fragile and to fight the whole game.

DoctorSusscrofa

If we score 40 points in the first half and at least 7 in the second, we'll probably win. If we get at least two or three stops outside our own 35.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

buldozer

If we score 75 in the first half and hold ATM to nada, I believe we will have a fighting chance to hold on for a win.....

You really do have to laugh at this point.... there is no predicting if they come to win or just get through another game

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: CPO Hog on September 22, 2017, 07:49:26 am
I'm confident that if the HOGS can build a 35 point lead in the 1st half they will win it.

That's one more point than aTm was leading UCLA. Sounds safe.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

lasthog

I believe it depends on the weather. If it rains I believe our running game takes over in the second half.

Swestwill66

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 22, 2017, 09:53:52 am
I don't want to be down at halftime, that's for sure.  The stat that somebody produced last week of how many times we have come back after trailing at the half and it was abysmal.

0-15

Dirty

TheRazorback500

We never seem to be able to take advantage of scoring opportunities in the first half, which puts pressure on and tires out the defense, causing us to have to try and come back in the second, something that rarely happens under Bielema. TCU would have been a different story if we'd finished in the red zone in the first half. We've got to put together a solid 40 minutes to beat the Aggies. They'll be fighting for Sumlin's tail.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

KC_archHOG

For real? The first 30 minutes?
The 70 to 0 - primarily the second half
Losses to TAMU  in Dallas - primarily second half collapses

Hope you're right man and the Ags stay consistent with their season trends, because my last several trips to Dallas TAMU has looked like WORLD KILLERS in the second half.
I have confidence in our boys, but I think it's going to be a drag out fight that's won with a key possession in the 4th.