Emmit Gooden -   Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma
Sean Michael Flanagan -   OK. State, Missouri
Jeremy Gibson -   Texas Tech, Purdue
Mauresse Wren -   Wash., Utah, Missouri
Isaiah Nichols -   MS. State, Missouri, KS State
John Mincey -   Auburn, Florida, LSU
Luke Jones -   Oregon, Missouri, AZ State
Noah Gatlin -   MS State, Air Force, NC. State

Every commit has at least 1 SEC offer except RB Jeremy Gibson.

According to 247 we have
3-4*
6-3*
3-2*

If you look at stars this class doesn't look so great but if you look at offers this class looks fantastic.
SOOIE

ArkansasI

Always follow the offers...

I think recruits are seeing the benefit of hopping on board with programs sooner - so as not to miss their opportunity.  If you listen to the coaches' interviews, it is easy to see why the program is gaining strength and stability.

Now, we just need to win more games.

Music City Hog

7 of them have an sec offer that is just mizzou or Mississippi state.  Technically counts, but count me as unimpressed with offers from those two.  This class is basically the same as all the others: blah, meh, and whatever.

colbs

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 03, 2017, 11:41:44 am
7 of them have an sec offer that is just mizzou or Mississippi state.  Technically counts, but count me as unimpressed with offers from those two.  This class is basically the same as all the others: blah, meh, and whatever.
The offers from other conferences isn't bad though-OK St, TCU, Washington, Oregon.  All have been in the top 10 for the most part that last 5 years, 2 have made the playoff.

hawgwash

Hi Debbie.  Is Mr. Downer home?

dbankster

Looks like 247 down graded 3 of our in state recruits to 2 stars.

King Kong

Quote from: hawgwash on August 03, 2017, 12:46:13 pm
Hi Debbie.  Is Mr. Downer home?

That is the most positive post he has ever had

Music City Hog

Looking forward to a reason to be more positive.  When it's good I say it's good.  When its bad I say it's bad.  This class, like most of the rest, is bad.  And the season outcome will be the same as a result. 

Bubba's Bruisers

This thread has so much potential.  I hope it survives.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 03, 2017, 02:41:43 pm
Looking forward to a reason to be more positive.  When it's good I say it's good.  When its bad I say it's bad.  This class, like most of the rest, is bad.  And the season outcome will be the same as a result. 

Or you have no idea what you're talking about. When, in your infinite wisdom has recruiting been "good"?

Bubba's Bruisers

I think where BB has improved on recruiting is...

1.  The highs aren't getting higher, BUT The lows appear to be getting higher.  In other words, and in general, our lowest kids these days, the ones with the least attractive offer sheets, have improving offer sheets compared to the past...offer sheets that are largely better than the lows from previous admins.  Gone are the Nutt days where we'd get a handful of blue chippers, then a massive drop off from there...a bunch of players with blank offer sheets.  We're not getting Bama talent, of course, but we never will. 

2.  I think we're spreading talent across the board more.  No more concentrations of talent at a couple specific positions...historically, almost always on offense, although I think BP wasn't given appropriate credit for some decent defensive recruiting.  On paper, defensive recruiting under BB looks to be better and more balanced.

The only question is after we've gotten multiple classes and have fully implemented a RS program all under BB (helped by low attrition), will we see results on the field?  The $64K question. 

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2017, 02:53:13 pm
Or you have no idea what you're talking about. When, in your infinite wisdom has recruiting been "good"?

It's not been good ever Which is why we are irrelevant in the sec.

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 03, 2017, 04:28:56 pm
It's not been good ever Which is why we are irrelevant in the sec.

So, we do about as we should with the talent we get?

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2017, 04:31:50 pm
So, we do about as we should with the talent we get?

Yes, Pretty much.  Meh, blah, and whatever.

southeasthog

No. When it's bad, you say it's bad. When it's good, you disappear.

Music City Hog

Quote from: southeasthog on August 03, 2017, 04:38:47 pm

When was that?   

southeasthog

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 03, 2017, 04:44:15 pm
When was that?
I just skimmed the Mincey commitment thread. You know. The guy with offers from Auburn and LSU. Don't see anything from you.

Music City Hog

Quote from: southeasthog on August 03, 2017, 04:53:19 pm
I just skimmed the Mincey commitment thread. You know. The guy with offers from Auburn and LSU. Don't see anything from you.

You haven't seen anything from me on any of the commitments threads. Even the "bad" ones.  So, yeah.  Disproves your entire point.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: southeasthog on August 03, 2017, 04:38:47 pm

At the risk of defending MCH, I'll disagree in general.  Or maybe I'm thing of the Boot Stops...

rljjr

These threads are frustrating, but an interesting insight into how some people live their lives.

Bkhardicars

Win this yr, redshirt all we can of this class, and we will have at least 20 school lies the following year on what should be a stellar class.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 03, 2017, 03:18:22 pm
I think where BB has improved on recruiting is...

1.  The highs aren't getting higher, BUT The lows appear to be getting higher.  In other words, and in general, our lowest kids these days, the ones with the least attractive offer sheets, have improving offer sheets compared to the past...offer sheets that are largely better than the lows from previous admins.  Gone are the Nutt days where we'd get a handful of blue chippers, then a massive drop off from there...a bunch of players with blank offer sheets.  We're not getting Bama talent, of course, but we never will. 

2.  I think we're spreading talent across the board more.  No more concentrations of talent at a couple specific positions...historically, almost always on offense, although I think BP wasn't given appropriate credit for some decent defensive recruiting.  On paper, defensive recruiting under BB looks to be better and more balanced.

The only question is after we've gotten multiple classes and have fully implemented a RS program all under BB (helped by low attrition), will we see results on the field?  The $64K question. 

I agree 100%.
SOOIE

lahawg1

Sorry but I agree with this, until we start competing with the Bama's in recruiting we ain't gonna be the Bama's on the field.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 18, 2017, 07:22:45 pm
Sorry but I agree with this, until we start competing with the Bama's in recruiting we ain't gonna be the Bama's on the field.

Everybody knows this.  And guess what...We ain't gonna be Bama on the field.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 18, 2017, 10:20:09 pm

I agree we are probable not going to beat Bama in recruiting rankings but maybe we can beat them for one 5 star recruit  Then if others can beat them for one or two more then maybe together we can knock them down to having those 9-3 seasons. Then others will have their chances.

lahawg1

If we can't compete with Bama in recruiting then we don't have the right men for the job. I am disgusted when everyone is happy competing with Mizzou and the Miss schools.

We pay for a better performance than what we are getting.

ricepig

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 19, 2017, 11:03:16 am
If we can't compete with Bama in recruiting then we don't have the right men for the job. I am disgusted when everyone is happy competing with Mizzou and the Miss schools.

We pay for a better performance than what we are getting.

So, when have we ever competed with Bama in recruiting?

lahawg1

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 11:12:06 am
So, when have we ever competed with Bama in recruiting?

We haven't, but if you are happy with where we are then that is your prerogative. I'm not, Bama is a goal but we have finished in the mid 20's for several years. How about we move up to the high teens and then into the single digits. Do you think we have the guys that can do this, I don't. In the last 5 years we appear to be stagnant in our recruiting which translates directly to the field.

ricepig

Quote from: lahawg1 on August 19, 2017, 12:58:47 pm
We haven't, but if you are happy with where we are then that is your prerogative. I'm not, Bama is a goal but we have finished in the mid 20's for several years. How about we move up to the high teens and then into the single digits. Do you think we have the guys that can do this, I don't. In the last 5 years we appear to be stagnant in our recruiting which translates directly to the field.

And in the proceeding 30+ years we recruited the same. We actually have better recruiting rankings under Bielema, than Petrino or Nutt. We've had what, 1 class in our history under 20?

HogFoo

well people over at scout think highly of the class.  even at just 12 commits(which is like 1 of 4 schools) its #19    And scout goes by points system and number of players.    So the fewer the numbers the more it hurts.  Last i looked at rivals they had us up to #33.    And again, for such few recruits compared to others having 16+  that's pretty good!  I dont really get the debbie downer attitude.  Go look at the hudl of some of these guys.  Which obviously you havent. For example.  Look at Gibson the RB from louisianna.  Man, that guy is an absolute stud!  Big kid with juke! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ricepig

Quote from: HogFoo on August 19, 2017, 01:41:28 pm
well people over at scout think highly of the class.  even at just 12 commits(which is like 1 of 4 schools) its #19    And scout goes by points system and number of players.    So the fewer the numbers the more it hurts.  Last i looked at rivals they had us up to #33.    And again, for such few recruits compared to others having 16+  that's pretty good!  I dont really get the debbie downer attitude.  Go look at the hudl of some of these guys.  Which obviously you havent. For example.  Look at Gibson the RB from louisianna.  Man, that guy is an absolute stud!  Big kid with juke! 

Well, Scout just sold to 247, I always thought their football was the worse of the 4, but their basketball was much better. Having said all of that, offers generally tell a better story in the end.

HogFoo

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 01:54:34 pm
Well, Scout just sold to 247, I always thought their football was the worse of the 4, but their basketball was much better. Having said all of that, offers generally tell a better story in the end.
Yes, i agree.  I knew 247 bought scout.  But, for Music city downer, it doesnt really matter how good Bielema does with recruiting, it wont be good enough. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ricepig

Quote from: HogFoo on August 20, 2017, 01:45:29 am
Yes, i agree.  I knew 247 bought scout.  But, for Music city downer, it doesnt really matter how good Bielema does with recruiting, it wont be good enough. 

Oh, no doubt.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 18, 2017, 10:20:09 pm

Yeah I've always thought Bama is a bad examlple, nobody except a few big dogs are even close to their recruiting. It's just going to be that way until Saban leaves; that doesn't mean we can't beat them we're just gonna have to play great games against them and we have gotten close a few times recently.

If we could consistently get inside the top 20 recruiting that's great and is enough talent to make some noise.

jackflash

if are defense improves believe we will make some noise

mizzouman

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 03, 2017, 09:35:41 am

Bumper Pool -    Alabama, LSU, Michigan
BJ Hanspard -   Tenn., Ole Miss, MS. State
Conner Noland -   Texas A&M, UCLA, Ole Miss
Tanner McCalister    -MS. State, OK. State, TCU
Emmit Gooden -   Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma
Sean Michael Flanagan -   OK. State, Missouri
Jeremy Gibson -   Texas Tech, Purdue
Mauresse Wren -   Wash., Utah, Missouri
Isaiah Nichols -   MS. State, Missouri, KS State
John Mincey -   Auburn, Florida, LSU
Luke Jones -   Oregon, Missouri, AZ State
Noah Gatlin -   MS State, Air Force, NC. State

Every commit has at least 1 SEC offer except RB Jeremy Gibson.

According to 247 we have
3-4*
6-3*
3-2*

If you look at stars this class doesn't look so great but if you look at offers this class looks fantastic.
Not all offers are the same nor are they committable offers.  A lot of the top 10-15 schools will offer someone but tell them that they cannot commit yet.  Alabama is known for this as is Ohio St.  So, just because someone said they got offered by Alabama or the like, they may have, but they can't commit even if they wanted to.

Also, several players 'say' they got an offer but did not.  That's happens all the time. 

So, if you go by an offer list on a 3* kid an you see a lot of top teams, be weary.

31to6

Quote from: mizzouman on August 21, 2017, 01:37:47 pm
Not all offers are the same nor are they committable offers.  A lot of the top 10-15 schools will offer someone but tell them that they cannot commit yet.  Alabama is known for this as is Ohio St.  So, just because someone said they got offered by Alabama or the like, they may have, but they can't commit even if they wanted to.

Also, several players 'say' they got an offer but did not.  That's happens all the time. 

So, if you go by an offer list on a 3* kid an you see a lot of top teams, be weary.
Yes. But Alabama doesn't even give non-committable offers to players that can't run in the SEC.

You could make a pretty damn good team off just the ppl that Alabama can't take.

Darius Philon comes to mind immediately.

Edit: Also, as for 3* with Alabama offers, they take 5-10 3*'s every class. The real key is not *one* top offer, it is if you see the usual suspects also offering. When it comes to offer lists, look to see if there are multiple P5 offers, including elite schools. At that point, it is reasonable to question the rating rather than the offer list.

mizzouman

Quote from: 31to6 on August 21, 2017, 02:08:49 pm
Yes. But Alabama doesn't even give non-committable offers to players that can't run in the SEC.

You could make a pretty damn good team off just the ppl that Alabama can't take.

Darius Philon comes to mind immediately.

Edit: Also, as for 3* with Alabama offers, they take 5-10 3*'s every class. The real key is not *one* top offer, it is if you see the usual suspects also offering. When it comes to offer lists, look to see if there are multiple P5 offers, including elite schools. At that point, it is reasonable to question the rating rather than the offer list.
Agreed.  But my point is that a lot of people look at a recruit and see all those offers and not all those offers are committable or even legitimate.

31to6

Quote from: mizzouman on August 21, 2017, 02:25:59 pm
Agreed.  But my point is that a lot of people look at a recruit and see all those offers and not all those offers are committable or even legitimate.
Yup. You need to know the inside story.

I think it is pretty safe to know when we have a committable offer (or a strong push) from an SEC team for in-state recruits. It is relatively easy to tell who is being actively pursued.

Out of state? Much less certainty.

PLHawg

We're not going to ever get consistent top 20 recruiting classes until we string together at least a couple of 9, 10 win seasons.  I know, I know - how can you get those seasons without top 20 recruiting classes, the whole chicken/egg thing.  It's been stated ad nauseam on this board the recruiting disadvantages that we have compared to pretty much every other SEC school, and those disadvantages are not going away, period.  The only thing that will ever help us bridge the recruiting gap in any meaningful way is winning.  We have some of the nicest facilities in the SEC, but competing against Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M for top talent is a huge mountain to climb for even the best recruiters.  I guess we could always resort to the Ole Mi$$ method of persuasion.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PLHawg on August 21, 2017, 02:49:23 pm
We're not going to ever get consistent top 20 recruiting classes until we string together at least a couple of 9, 10 win seasons.  I know, I know - how can you get those seasons without top 20 recruiting classes, the whole chicken/egg thing.  It's been stated ad nauseam on this board the recruiting disadvantages that we have compared to pretty much every other SEC school, and those disadvantages are not going away, period.  The only thing that will ever help us bridge the recruiting gap in any meaningful way is winning.  We have some of the nicest facilities in the SEC, but competing against Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M for top talent is a huge mountain to climb for even the best recruiters.  I guess we could always resort to the Ole Mi$$ method of persuasion.
True, we could resort to that method of "friendly" persuasion ;); however, do anyone of us really want to stoop that low ??? :puke: :puke:

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 21, 2017, 05:01:37 pm
True, we could resort to that method of "friendly" persuasion ;); however, do anyone of us really want to stoop that low ??? :puke: :puke:
I ran that poll.  About 10% of the board was perfectly happy with buying recruits.
All Gas, No Brakes!

presidenthog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 21, 2017, 05:05:38 pm
I ran that poll.  About 10% of the board was perfectly happy with buying recruits.

You win a sec championship and it is worth it imo. Anything less, and you messed up.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 21, 2017, 05:01:37 pm

Well are we getting caught or not? lol it's sad but true, the more college football I see the more I realize the NCAA ain't gonna do much to those who break the rules unless they are just so blatant and stupid they are forced to.

hobhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 21, 2017, 05:05:38 pm

Hope those immoral aholes stay away from the program.....

HogFoo

August 22, 2017, 03:00:15 am #45 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:11:26 am by HogFoo
We don't have to have top rated classes.  We can gradually build on recruiting every year until we get there.  The same way Clemson did. They never got a top rated class. But they got better and better. I think their best classes were maybe ranked 10th?   

It's more about player development than anything. Getting players that are maybe a 3* that we can project will be a 5* by his Jr year.  Which, even then , who really puts much Into the star system tho. Just a year or so ago, we had a class that had about seven 3* guys that were extremely close to being 4* in fact, those players probably would have been if they were Bama recruits!  I'd guarantee they would have been 4* !  And that class ranking ,with that many 4* would easily have been a top 5 class!.   So, for me I dont put a whole lot into the player rankings like that. I trust the coaches.   We just have to continue fill our needs.  Continue to evaluate. Since OLine is the most important position in a Bielema team, we need ti Always try to get great OLine guys!   We'll always attract great RBs,and TEs, and thankfully we've had very good luck with QBs and WRs. DLine, has gotten a lot better too!  And, we've done pretty well with jucos in recent years.  Just need to continue to get Linebackers!

But again, it comes down to player development. The only real difference between a 3* and a 5*  is that the 5 is closer to being ready to play physically.  But I tell ya what, heart wise, that 3* will usually be a harder worker than that 5* is.  And by the time they both get to their Jr years, that 3* has built himself into a 5* talent, except he has a harder worth ethic than the 5* has. We can go look at the NFL as a measure and see how many more guys who were rated 3* coming out of HS. Are playing in the NFL than the 5* guy.  I'd  guess that the 3* guys outnumber the 5* guy by quite a higher number.

Again, We just have to work with what we get. Continue to build from that, like we have, continue to Evaluate. Develop. And just win. When we start getting 8, 9, 10 wins on average every year, the higher rated players will take notice.  Just keep working hard and eventually the Hogs will get there. I believe this year will be a good year, it'll be the start of a long run of 9, 10+ win seasons.

mizzouman

This is why college athletics is getting worse each year.  When it PAYS to cheat, then the system has a huge problem.  I would suspect that most fans would be OK with cheating and winning an SEC Championship or a National Championship only to be caught and not be bowl eligible for a year or lose some schollies.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on August 22, 2017, 07:53:34 am
This is why college athletics is getting worse each year.  When it PAYS to cheat, then the system has a huge problem.  I would suspect that most fans would be OK with cheating and winning an SEC Championship or a National Championship only to be caught and not be bowl eligible for a year or lose some schollies.

And it will only get worse.  Cheating is only a wrong when it happens to the other teams.  When our team is cheating we say Everyone is doing it so why not?

Fans are becoming morally bankrupt and wanting to win at all cost.   I blame a lot on the NCAA for not punishing Coaches and schools hard who cheat.  Or taking forever to investigate.   Band coaches from coaching in college for many years.  Colleges should sue these highly paid Coaches for Millions.  Hit them where it hurts.  Especially in BB.  My goodness some coaches at some highly profile schools have been rumored for cheating for years so it continues.  If down the road the school got away with it and the coach will move on to another school or maybe the NBA.   They have found ways to cheat for years.  Follow the money.  NCAA is making MILLONS and are fat and happy so seem to investigate only when other schools turn over their findings.  Competing schools have to do all the work for them.     Isn't this their job to keep the playing field even.

In BB and FB seems like the same 10 or so schools are at the top every year.   Where is it even?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: mizzouman on August 22, 2017, 07:53:34 am

It worked for Auburn ,and that's why Ole Miss figured it was worth a try. We'll see what the NCAA does to them and if they still think it's worth it. If they get a slap on the wrist, the floodgates could open up all across college football.

mizzouman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 09:29:43 am
And it will only get worse.  Cheating is only a wrong when it happens to the other teams.  When our team is cheating we say Everyone is doing it so why not?

Fans are becoming morally bankrupt and wanting to win at all cost.   I blame a lot on the NCAA for not punishing Coaches and schools hard who cheat.  Or taking forever to investigate.   Band coaches from coaching in college for many years.  Colleges should sue these highly paid Coaches for Millions.  Hit them where it hurts.  Especially in BB.  My goodness some coaches at some highly profile schools have been rumored for cheating for years so it continues.  If down the road the school got away with it and the coach will move on to another school or maybe the NBA.   They have found ways to cheat for years.  Follow the money.  NCAA is making MILLONS and are fat and happy so seem to investigate only when other schools turn over their findings.  Competing schools have to do all the work for them.     Isn't this their job to keep the playing field even.

In BB and FB seems like the same 10 or so schools are at the top every year.   Where is it even?

Right.  Punishment needs to be harsher.  Hit them in the pocket book. 

For example.  Let's say Ole Miss infractions came over a 4 year period.  They should be banned from bowl games for 4 years plus pay back ticket revenue to the non conf teams they played plus ticket revenue and conf revenues back to the SEC teams, prorated, during these years.