Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paul Finebaum's Predictions on SEC Win Totals

Started by WilsonHog, June 14, 2017, 03:14:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wildhog on June 15, 2017, 04:26:07 pm
Wisconsin's worst season since CBB left was 9 wins.  And they're on their second coach since then.

It's sad to say, but that Wisconsin program is top notch compared to ours.

However that conference hasn't been on par with the SEC for 30 years.  Actually it's been awful compared to the SEC.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 11:02:12 am
I mean, the program was in good shape when CBB took over for Alvarez.  He didn't crash it or anything, but as of now he's not looking any more impressive than Gary Andersen or Paul Chryst.

Ill take CBB over Andersen every day of the week. Chryst is a good coach no doubt, as CBB is well aware since he was one of his assistants. Ya the program was in good shape when CBB took over, and it was in excellent shape when he left it. Are you implying that CBB isn't worthy of a kudos for that? You complain when people berate CBP, yet you do the same thing to CBB. You look for reasons to discredit him.

Hogwild

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 01:18:15 pm
Ill take CBB over Andersen every day of the week. Chryst is a good coach no doubt, as CBB is well aware since he was one of his assistants. Ya the program was in good shape when CBB took over, and it was in excellent shape when he left it. Are you implying that CBB isn't worthy of a kudos for that? You complain when people berate CBP, yet you do the same thing to CBB. You look for reasons to discredit him.

I'm really curious to see how Anderson does at Oregon State.   He completely turned Utah State around, they won 19 games in two years in Madison.  Wasn't shocked the he left the Badgers and shocked that he left them for Oregon State.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 01:18:15 pm

Sure, he's deserving of credit for maintaining success at UW.

But yeah, I think it should call into question how impressive that really is, considering both coaches that followed him had similar success.  I don't think that's unfair.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

In any profession, you can usually spot someone who isn't working hard enough and who does not pay attention to the details by inconsistent results.  When things click, they look like rockstars.  The next time you see them, they look like a hot mess.  If there is anything that has been a hallmark of our teams under Bielema, it is inconsistency.  You never know what you are going to get and it changes from game to game and often from quarter to quarter.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogwild on June 16, 2017, 01:49:10 pm
I'm really curious to see how Anderson does at Oregon State.   He completely turned Utah State around, they won 19 games in two years in Madison.  Wasn't shocked the he left the Badgers and shocked that he left them for Oregon State.

Alvarez is an inconsolable human being.

Paul Finebaum, the expert, has just set Jeff Long up to be successful.  Jeff now can claim 6 wins was what was expected.  If we win 5, well, durn that is about as close to 6 as you can get so yeah it wasn't what we hoped but goodness, just 1 win off, can't get too upset about that.  7 wins gets the big extension and likely larger buyout.  8 wins and BB is here for years to come.  9 wins, which I feel is where he should be, would get him a blank contract, already signed by Jeff, to complete as he sees fit.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on June 16, 2017, 07:13:49 pm
Paul Finebaum, the expert, has just set Jeff Long up to be successful.  Jeff now can claim 6 wins was what was expected.  If we win 5, well, durn that is about as close to 6 as you can get so yeah it wasn't what we hoped but goodness, just 1 win off, can't get too upset about that.  7 wins gets the big extension and likely larger buyout.  8 wins and BB is here for years to come.  9 wins, which I feel is where he should be, would get him a blank contract, already signed by Jeff, to complete as he sees fit.

Silly.
Go Hogs Go!

SWarkansasman

O my!  Did you actually hear Paul say the word "Arkansas" ?   Every other word out of Pauls mouth is either "Nick" or "Alabama".  Then he takes a call from "Millie" in Missouri.  I do record him hoping to actually hear the word "Arkansas" but very, very seldom do I hear it.  Takes me about 5 minute to zip thru it , and then delete.

TDHawgs

Sad to say, but looks about right to me. Until I see our defense actually get better, then 6 wins is about right.  :'(

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TDHawgs on June 20, 2017, 05:32:14 pm
Sad to say, but looks about right to me. Until I see our defense actually get better, then 6 wins is about right.  :'(

We will win more than 7 games this season, 8 as a minimum. For me, 8 isn't enough.
Go Hogs Go!

hawganatic

Quote from: 12247 on June 16, 2017, 07:13:49 pm

Yup, one big conspiracy by Finebaum and the SEC to keep Arkansas saddled into mediocrity... :-\

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Sed76 on June 14, 2017, 03:27:30 pm
And we will all be upset or depressed while CBB is given more time to win. Not fun to think about at all but it wouldn't shock me.
I'm telling y'all we need to go ahead and bring in Chip Kelly... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The Hawg Marshal

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hawg Marshal

hawgon

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on June 21, 2017, 02:09:47 pm
I honestly believe it will happen.

Some ADs don't care if the coach is a big old meanie butt.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 20, 2017, 07:56:37 pm
We will win more than 7 games this season, 8 as a minimum. For me, 8 isn't enough.

You've gone mad if you think 8 wins is the floor for this team.  I could see going out on a limb and predicting a high ceiling, but with all the question marks surrounding this team setting the floor at 8 is ridiculous.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 15, 2017, 06:36:09 am
I'm sure the team is disappointed with last season, but so are the other 14 teams in our league. I'm not sure what kind of mental edge you can get from that perspective. It just comes down to talent 9 times out of 10.

So coaching only matters one time out of ten? Give me a break. Tell that to Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, Bobby Petrino, or, must I say, even Nick Saban.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 21, 2017, 05:20:52 pm #119 Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:45:26 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Al Boarland on June 21, 2017, 03:58:07 pm
You've gone mad if you think 8 wins is the floor for this team.  I could see going out on a limb and predicting a high ceiling, but with all the question marks surrounding this team setting the floor at 8 is ridiculous.

You are just positively, negative, no matter what is posted about our team, so what difference does it make? And if you read again, I didn't set the floor at 8 and I didn't say that was good enough...but by all means carry on with your daily complaints.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hoginsavga on June 21, 2017, 05:04:27 pm
So coaching only matters one time out of ten? Give me a break. Tell that to Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, Bobby Petrino, or, must I say, even Nick Saban.

Sure coaching matters though not as much as talent. I'm not how you can come to the conclusion that we have an edge in coaching.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 21, 2017, 07:49:23 pm
Sure coaching matters though not as much as talent. I'm not how you can come to the conclusion that we have an edge in coaching.

We don't, but we did.  Coaching makes a huge difference.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

cosmodrum

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 20, 2017, 07:56:37 pm

I just dont know how you can say that with any confidence given the evidence. I'm talking about season wins before bowl...
Go away, batin'

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 21, 2017, 08:29:02 pm
I just dont know how you can that with any confidence given the evidence. I'm talking about season wins before bowl...

Me too.
Go Hogs Go!

cosmodrum

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 21, 2017, 08:33:23 pm
Me too.

8 is really the minimum for me too with this schedule, but I just cant let myself believe that we won't blow a couple.
Go away, batin'

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 21, 2017, 08:39:04 pm
8 is really the minimum for me too with this schedule, but I just cant let myself believe that we won't blow a couple.

In another couple of threads I have pointed out that really (to your point) I can see where we could have gone 9, 10 and 10 in the last 3 seasons. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, but really and truly, we were well within reach of those wins. We didn't get there for a variety of reasons that most of us find mystifying. I understand where you are coming from, I'm kinda there too. But I also feel like the "worm has to turn" for us at some point where we stop blowing an entire foot off at times each season.

Since 2013 we have baffled the national sports media who have at times picked us higher and we finish lower, or they pick us lower and we finish higher. They are probably as perplexed as we are when it comes to accurately predicting what we will see on the field each season.

This season I believe that we have the talent to play at a very high level and win 9, maybe even 10 games. But those "variables" that we can't predict seem to sneak up on us. The variables, for the most part, have gone against us so far. I think that this year we surprise a lot of folks and play way over our heads compared to what they project.

That said, I want to see us win 9 at the very least and I think that we need to win that many at this point of the program if Bielema hopes to have a future here. BUT, I'm not about to take that to the bank at this point. Too many unanswered questions at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoginsavga

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 21, 2017, 07:57:14 pm
We don't, but we did.  Coaching makes a huge difference.

Thank you Higgie. You get it.

cosmodrum

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 21, 2017, 08:55:07 pm
In another couple of threads I have pointed out that really (to your point) I can see where we could have gone 9, 10 and 10 in the last 3 seasons. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, but really and truly, we were well within reach of those wins. We didn't get there for a variety of reasons that most of us find mystifying. I understand where you are coming from, I'm kinda there too. But I also feel like the "worm has to turn" for us at some point where we stop blowing an entire foot off at times each season.

Since 2013 we have baffled the national sports media who have at times picked us higher and we finish lower, or they pick us lower and we finish higher. They are probably as perplexed as we are when it comes to accurately predicting what we will see on the field each season.

This season I believe that we have the talent to play at a very high level and win 9, maybe even 10 games. But those "variables" that we can't predict seem to sneak up on us. The variables, for the most part, have gone against us so far. I think that this year we surprise a lot of folks and play way over our heads compared to what they project.

That said, I want to see us win 9 at the very least and I think that we need to win that many at this point of the program if Bielema hopes to have a future here. BUT, I'm not about to take that to the bank at this point. Too many unanswered questions at this point.

Yeah, I suppose I'm with you. Need a couple breaks to go our way, and the meltdowns need to be a thing of the past. I'm probably just shellshocked from the 2016 finish, not to mention the 28 unanswered points against TCU (thanks for the throat slash, Kenny "Trill") and the 38 unanswered against aTm.
Go away, batin'

Tarheelhawg

Optimist here,  I see a floor of 8 wins.  Yeah, I have had a couple beers, but I can still see straight.  Beilema, knows how to build a program even in the SEC.  We are talking about 8 wins.  Completely doable.  I see depth building in critical areas.  Not there yet but on the way...

Polecat

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 14, 2017, 07:22:10 pm
I know that, but if he doesn't knock out 9 wins in 2017, the process of gathering and vetting candidates may begin in more earnest in order to put together a succession plan following the 2018 season.

Remind me: What is the monetary difference in buyout from 2017 to 2018? Thanks in advance
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Polecat on June 28, 2017, 10:35:45 am
Remind me: What is the monetary difference in buyout from 2017 to 2018? Thanks in advance

I don't know but he is only contracted through 2018. Short of the Hogs going 4-8, 5-7 in 2017 the buyout won't even come into the conversation.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 28, 2017, 10:48:55 am
I don't know but he is only contracted through 2018. Short of the Hogs going 4-8, 5-7 in 2017 the buyout won't even come into the conversation.

No. His contract got extended to 2020 or 2022 I believe. Basically for recruiting. Happenes everywhere

Contract length means nothing though. All about buy out.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on June 28, 2017, 10:56:22 am

No. His contract got extended to 2020 or 2022 I believe. Basically for recruiting. Happenes everywhere

Contract length means nothing though. All about buy out.

Yep, you are right, I guess I forgot about that. And frankly, I don't care for that, whether for recruiting or not. I really wanted the pressure to produce to be there with a reduced payout for termination without cause.

"the contract's buyout terms are extremely friendly to Bielema, who would be owed $15.4 million if he's fired any time before 2018 and a minimum of $7.9 million if if he's fired any time before 2020. But Bielema would only owe Arkansas $4 million if he leaves in 2015 and would owe progressively less over the course of the contract down to only $500,000 on Jan. 1, 2019".

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arkansas-gives-bret-bielema-raise-extension-through-2020/
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 28, 2017, 11:20:32 am
Yep, you are right, I guess I forgot about that. And frankly, I don't care for that, whether for recruiting or not. I really wanted the pressure to produce to be there with a reduced payout for termination without cause.

"the contract's buyout terms are extremely friendly to Bielema, who would be owed $15.4 million if he's fired any time before 2018 and a minimum of $7.9 million if if he's fired any time before 2020. But Bielema would only owe Arkansas $4 million if he leaves in 2015 and would owe progressively less over the course of the contract down to only $500,000 on Jan. 1, 2019".

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arkansas-gives-bret-bielema-raise-extension-through-2020/

My biggest beef has always been the buy out was not 2 ways. We are married to him but he isn't to us.

I like Jeff Long but that is the weirdest thing he has done. He would never admit it but I bet he would do that differently of he could.

Hopefully Bret suceeds and we can stop talking about buy outs.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HF#1

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 14, 2017, 03:14:16 pm
He updated them this afternoon.

Alabama - 10.5
Auburn - 9
LSU - 9
Texas A&M - 7.5
Arkansas - 6
Ole Miss - 5.5
Mississippi State - 5

Georgia - 9
Florida - 8
Tennessee - 7.5
Kentucky - 7
Missouri - 6
Vanderbilt - 6
South Carolina - 5

If those numbers bear out, Texas A&M and Tennessee will be looking for new head coaches come Thanksgiving weekend.

So will Arkansas, in my opinion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on June 28, 2017, 11:37:42 am

My biggest beef has always been the buy out was not 2 ways. We are married to him but he isn't to us.

I like Jeff Long but that is the weirdest thing he has done. He would never admit it but I bet he would do that differently of he could.

Hopefully Bret suceeds and we can stop talking about buy outs.

Whether it is Bielema or whether it is Nick Saban, you are right, when it comes to buyouts either way, what is good for the goose, is good for the gander as well.
Go Hogs Go!