Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any recommendations on gunsmiths in LR area?

Started by Augustus, May 20, 2017, 11:50:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

My dad passed away recently, and I inherited several pistons and long guns from.

One shotgun is a "NR Davis & Sons" side by side with external hammers, that my dad got from my grandfather.  I'm assuming 12 gauge.

I remember when I was a kid, this shotgun was on a rack in the guest bedroom of my grandfather's house.  I'm thinking it was originally purchased by my great grandfather (due to dating below).

Is anyone familiar with these shotguns?  I'm curious if someone might can help figure out the year it was made.

It only has "NR Davis & Sons" brand engraved on both sides.  It oddly has no serial # or model #.

I've done some reading about them, and I know that company/manufacturer was under the name "N.R. DAVIS & SONS"  from 1883 to 1917.

So, I know the gun was made during that time.  Just curious if anyone knew more about these guns, and maybe the absence of a serial # or model #, could help date the gun more specifically?

I know it's not worth much at all, even being 100+ years old.  these guns were "cheaper" shotguns of the time (that company also had a contract with Sears Roebuck to sell their shotguns through the catalog), and this gun is not in good shape - the stock has been beat to hell.  I've also read where due to the metal used at the time, it's not safe to shoot either.

Not looking to sell it or anything... It's just a piece of my family's history and I'd like to find out as much as I can.

Anyone here know about these? Or... can you give a recommend on a gunsmith in the LR area?

theFlyingHog

Smiths seem to be few and far between around here. I can't help you but I'll be watching closely as I would love to find a good smith around here

riccoar

I'd try this guy.  He may can point you in the right direction.  Gotta figure a shop that's been around since the 80's has some contacts.

Don's Weaponry
North Little Rock, AR
(501) 945-2324
www.donsweapons.com

Augustus

Quote from: riccoar on May 22, 2017, 11:35:52 am
I'd try this guy.  He may can point you in the right direction.  Gotta figure a shop that's been around since the 80's has some contacts.

Don's Weaponry
North Little Rock, AR
(501) 945-2324
www.donsweapons.com

Yeah, I was thinking about them.  At one point they had a guy named Terry there that was real knowledgeable but I'm not sure if he's still there. I haven't been there in years

hawgon

May 25, 2017, 07:26:06 am #4 Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:40:56 am by hawgon
Guns were not required to have serial numbers until the 1968 gun control act.  I'll bet you a dollar that the shotgun was made in Liege Belgium.  In the 19th century there were hundreds of house factories in that city turning out cheap side by side external hammer shotguns. 

Let me guess.  It has no forearm and an underlever beneath the barrels to break the barrels.

Edit:  A little research shows that they were originally US manufactured but at some point the company quit making them and started importing them from Belgium. 

I'm betting yours is a Belgium made one because all the picks I can find for US made ones show internal hammers and the external hammer guns is consistent with what I seen in the Belgium guns.

Edit number two:  I may or may not be right.  If you really want to know, just google up some of the shotgun forums and post pics.  There will be guys on there who can tell you exactly what you have.  They will know a lot more about it than just about any gunsmith. 

From what I've seen, it looks like top value is going to be $250 if it is more or less perfect.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.