Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for any WMS old timers.

Started by Danimal, May 10, 2017, 08:23:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

I haven't been to a LR game in about 20 or so years, but my dad and I are trying to remember the name of a restaurant/diner about a 1/2 mile or so east of the stadium on the other side of Markham (had a pretty good burger). Does anyone remember this place?

theFlyingHog

Might get more looks if you are more specific in the title.

Not familiar with the area too much so don't know anything about the place but I see Leo's on google maps up on Kavanaugh

ricepig

Black Angus, or something like that?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on May 10, 2017, 08:27:25 pm
You are indeed correct, Black Angus it was.

Danimal

Wasn't the Black Angus. I remember that one, but thanks for the reply ricepig.

ricepig

Quote from: Danimal on May 10, 2017, 08:32:24 pm
Wasn't the Black Angus. I remember that one, but thanks for the reply ricepig.

Yeah, I reread your post, you said east of the stadium, the Black Angus was west of the stadium.

Boog41

UAMS has always been east of the stadium. The Oyster Bar is the only place I can think of that fits that description. It's on Markham close to where Kavanaugh connects.

Sho Nuff

On a side note, there is a Black Angus on Rodney Parham with really good burgers.  The owner is a client of mine, really nice lady.

Danimal

Quote from: Boog41 on May 10, 2017, 08:48:24 pm
UAMS has always been east of the stadium. The Oyster Bar is the only place I can think of that fits that description. It's on Markham close to where Kavanaugh connects.
The place I'm thinking of would date back to the 60's/70's. But I think I remember it still being there in the early 80's.

bphi11ips

Black Angus was a driver and a sand wedge almost due north of the stadium. 

There was a beer joint right across the street from UAMS that is the only place that fits your description, unless you're thinking of Frostop, which was on the same side of Markham as WMS.  Can't remember the name of the beer joint, but it had a shuffleboard table. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

k.c.hawg

Our places to go were one of the original TGI Fridays probably closed in the mid 80's or late 80's, The Shack (BBQ) Oyster Bar and later Pizza D'Action.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Danimal

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 10, 2017, 09:15:15 pm

There was a beer joint right across the street from UAMS that is the only place that fits your description, unless you're thinking of Frostop, which was on the same side of Markham as WMS.  Can't remember the name of the beer joint, but it had a shuffleboard table.
BINGO on the shuffleboard table. Now if we can just remember the name of the place.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Danimal on May 10, 2017, 09:22:21 pm
BINGO on the shuffleboard table. Now if we can just remember the name of the place.

Peck's

tusksincolorado

Yyyyyuuuummmm.....charcoal burgers. I think it was a #3 cheeseburger pickle mustard onion on sesame seed bun. Simple basic and good.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 10, 2017, 09:17:03 pm
Our places to go were one of the original TGI Fridays probably closed in the mid 80's or late 80's, The Shack (BBQ) Oyster Bar and later Pizza D'Action.

Man you all are making me miss home!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Boog41

First time I ever went to TGI Fridays was before a football game in fall of 80. I had an older, buddy from my hometown, that I drove down to the Rock with. He managed Town & Country liquor in Fayettenam. Low and behold we end up sharing a table with his friend who was one of the girls in Playboy from the girls of the SWC issue in the late 70's.

Boog41

OBTW, Oyster Bar is still open.

WBOBO

Peck's what year we talking about for this bar?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

ricepig

Quote from: Boog41 on May 10, 2017, 10:26:52 pm
First time I ever went to TGI Fridays was before a football game in fall of 80. I had an older, buddy from my hometown, that I drove down to the Rock with. He managed Town & Country liquor in Fayettenam. Low and behold we end up sharing a table with his friend who was one of the girls in Playboy from the girls of the SWC issue in the late 70's.

I believe the proverbial reply is, "pics?", or it didn't happen, lol......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on May 10, 2017, 10:28:30 pm
OBTW, Oyster Bar is still open.

One of the real hidden treasures of the Little Rock restaurant world. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boog41

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2017, 07:03:02 am
I believe the proverbial reply is, "pics?", or it didn't happen, lol......

She was the one who kept her clothes on in Playboy....no pics to be had this time Rice.

Rockinghog

I think Peck's was torn down in the late 80's or early 90's to build Taco Bell that is there now.

Sivad

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 10, 2017, 10:03:05 pm
Peck's
Yes. Bet that's the one OP was talking about. Had some good times in there.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: Sivad on May 11, 2017, 02:10:04 pm
Yes. Bet that's the one OP was talking about. Had some good times in there.
I was there when a Budweiser delivery truck was stolen. It was eventually recovered later in Saline County outside of Benton. Could've been my Miller Lite truck but I got there for a delivery as he was pulling
out. You should have seen the Bud guys face when I
walked in and asked him who was driving his truck. Priceless. Good times there and yes, a great burger.

hobhog

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on May 11, 2017, 02:44:29 pm
I was there when a Budweiser delivery truck was stolen. It was eventually recovered later in Saline County outside of Benton. Could've been my Miller Lite truck but I got there for a delivery as he was pulling
out. You should have seen the Bud guys face when I
walked in and asked him who was driving his truck. Priceless. Good times there and yes, a great burger.

Best shuffleboard table in town......and longnecks.

Gerald Gilber

The Shack at 3rd and Victory was pretty good too
Can we play all our games at home????

bphi11ips

Quote from: Gerald Gilber on May 11, 2017, 03:41:50 pm
The Shack at 3rd and Victory was pretty good too

The Shack had the best barbecue I've ever had anywhere.  It was all about the sauce and the slaw.  I grew up right behind the one in Tanglewood.  Makes me homesick thinking about it. 

Snoutman

rjwilkmd

Pecks! Across the street from UAMS.  Walked over there many a time after a big test and crawled back to the dorm afterwards. Great greasy burgers and cold longnecks.  Yes it did have a shuffleboard table.  I don't remember a pool table.

Danimal

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was driving my dad crazy trying to remember the name, and he in turn was driving me nuts about it LOL. It was probably the 1st place I (legally) had a beer before a LR game (I'm 53 now). But it was the burgers we remembered more than anything -- thanks again!!

Mr. Porkleone

We used to stop on Univeristy for the Minute Man, boy that was the day!

murthage

Just how far back do you want to go.......Weber's Drive Inn, served Root beer Floats in frosted glasses.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 11, 2017, 03:54:29 pm
The Shack had the best barbecue I've ever had anywhere.  It was all about the sauce and the slaw.  I grew up right behind the one in Tanglewood.  Makes me homesick thinking about it.
My mom has the recipe, makes it all the time, never had any better.

Side note there is a brand called "head country" same type flavor profile not as good but if you have to buy a sauce in a store it's good for those of you that don't want that sweet candy crap on your ribs.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 11, 2017, 09:49:07 pm

Side note there is a brand called "head country" same type flavor profile not as good but if you have to buy a sauce in a store it's good for those of you that don't want that sweet candy crap on your ribs.

My sister sent me recipe a few years ago that was good.  Called for Nu-Grape soda and enough black pepper to make the whole Russian army sneeze.  But it wasn't quite The Shack's.

I'm gonna Google head country and order some.

panhandlepig

I worked at TGIFridays from about 1980 to 83?  The stories I could tell.  Game days were insane. And right  by the Capitol? Oh lawd.

Danimal

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 11, 2017, 09:49:07 pm

Yup -- Head country "Hot & Spicy" is my go-to as far as store bought bbq sauce goes.

Danimal

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 11, 2017, 10:02:03 pm
My sister sent me recipe a few years ago that was good.  Called for Nu-Grape soda and enough black pepper to make the whole Russian army sneeze.  But it wasn't quite The Shack's.

I'm gonna Google head country and order some.
Wal-Mart carries Head Country if you don't get around to ordering it online.

razorcash2

Quote from: Danimal on May 10, 2017, 08:23:48 pm
I haven't been to a LR game in about 20 or so years, but my dad and I are trying to remember the name of a restaurant/diner about a 1/2 mile or so east of the stadium on the other side of Markham (had a pretty good burger). Does anyone remember this place?
Backyard Burger?

PossumFan

Is Peck's the one where a bunch of regular old-timers would routinely order "tomato beer" -- half beer, half tomato juice?

LZH

Quote from: PossumFan on May 12, 2017, 08:03:49 pm
Is Peck's the one where a bunch of regular old-timers would routinely order "tomato beer" -- half beer, half tomato juice?

Add hot sauce.....was called a Snappy Tom.

ricepig

Quote from: PossumFan on May 12, 2017, 08:03:49 pm

Maybe, I remember "Cowboy" always ordering one at Maxine's.

Bkhardicars

I thought you were talking about the frosty top. Good root beer and burgers.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bkhardicars on May 12, 2017, 08:48:14 pm

Wrong side of the street. Frost Top was my favorite place to go after an afternoon at Fair Park. Root beer floats were incredible. If I was lucky we'd stop at Buzzy's on the way home.

Now, when I got older I preferred Peck's. 😀

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bkhardicars on May 12, 2017, 08:48:14 pm

Man I miss Frosty Top root beer and floats!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgXi

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 10, 2017, 09:15:15 pm

pecks

EastArkHog 47

Was it the Shack, it was on Markham and East of the stadium

Birminghog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on May 11, 2017, 07:49:19 pm
We used to stop on Univeristy for the Minute Man, boy that was the day!

Minute Man #2 - Hickory Smoke Sauce - cheap & pretty decent!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I used to take the golf cart from our house on N. Cedar to the games and back. Couldn't do that after we moved to Maumelle.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 15, 2017, 02:27:40 pm
I used to take the golf cart from our house on N. Cedar to the games and back. Couldn't do that after we moved to Maumelle.

Leave earlier.

My cart was a white Club Car with a red Hog on each side. Took it to several games and let my daughter drive us around the course/tailgates. Big fun.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Birminghog on May 14, 2017, 05:58:35 pm
Minute Man #2 - Hickory Smoke Sauce - cheap & pretty decent!

Oh man, good stuff. Very simliar to the Black Augus burger I always got.