Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enos

Started by hawgtime, April 24, 2017, 12:09:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 24, 2017, 11:16:04 pm
If I was happy running my own shop (wouldn't consider it small at that salary) and I would be less happy at the JB Hunt job, I'd turn it down easily. I wouldn't be able to spend 375k a year if I tried. I made 25k this past year pre taxes and still was able to add an extra 5k to my savings. If I was making 375k a year, I'd probably only work for 10 years and then do whatever the heck I wanted for the rest of my life, which in this scenario would probably include working on diesel engines in whatever way I find most enjoyable.

I'd much rather make 40-50k a year as a full time researcher somewhere than 100k as an accountant. Doesn't take a lot of money for me to be happy and enjoy life.

As a man once said

" "I just wanna stay broke forever,"
Yeah that's that sh*t no one ever said "

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 12:00:11 pm
As a man once said

" "I just wanna stay broke forever,"
Yeah that's that sh*t no one ever said "

Okay G, but 40-50k a year isn't broke unless you are living in downtown LA or something.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LRHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 12:07:55 pm
Okay G, but 40-50k a year isn't broke unless you are living in downtown LA or something.

Do you live at home? 40-50k ain't darn. Ive been out of college a year and make 60. Prob drive a 92 Taurus and live at home and struggle to get by on 20 after taxes.

You sound like a person making excuses instead of actually improving your life, so you take it out on others.

gchamblee

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 12:35:44 pm
Do you live at home? 40-50k ain't darn. Ive been out of college a year and make 60. Prob drive a 92 Taurus and live at home and struggle to get by on 20 after taxes.

You sound like a person making excuses instead of actually improving your life, so you take it out on others.

?? I make around 55K and live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath split level home on a private golf course and have 0 debt other than my mortgage on just my single income. This accusation that you are throwing at him makes no sense at all. Your yearly income is meaningless until you compare it to the cost of living where you are making it. You sound like someone that was bullied a lot and feel like the world really needs to take notice of you now but you started screaming for attention a little early lol.

LRHog

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 12:44:07 pm
?? I make around 55K and live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath split level home on a private golf course and have 0 debt other than my mortgage on just my single income. This accusation that you are throwing at him makes no sense at all. Your yearly income is meaningless until you compare it to the cost of living where you are making it. You sound like someone that was bullied a lot and feel like the world really needs to take notice of you now but you started screaming for attention a little early lol.

He makes ~20k after taxes. Idgaf where you live that ain't darn

Congrats on making something out of your life. Cheers to that! But this guy literally tried to talk crap cuz a guy took a 300% increase in pay because he's happy with being broke as hell. Thanks for standing up for him without actually following he thread.

gchamblee

Also sport, your attitude is funny as you hide behind your anonymous internet username. Have the balls to use your real name as your screen name if you are going to start throwing your weight around and running your mouth. I'm an ass but i use my real name and have never been shy about giving out my address to people that feel that the internet is just too restrictive for the debate we are having.

LRHog

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 12:48:35 pm
Also sport, your attitude is funny as you hide behind your anonymous internet username. Have the balls to use your real name as your screen name if you are going to start throwing your weight around and running your mouth. I'm an ass but i use my real name and have never been shy about giving out my address to people that feel that the internet is just too restrictive for the debate we are having.

I'll gladly pm you. But sorry I'm not a moron and want crazy rednecks like the guy your defending to have my info.

gchamblee

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 12:46:02 pm
He makes ~20k after taxes. Idgaf where you live that ain't darn

Congrats on making something out of your life. Cheers to that! But this guy literally tried to talk crap cuz a guy took a 300% increase in pay because he's happy with being broke as hell. Thanks for standing up for him without actually following he thread.

Ive been following the thread in its entirety. I didn't run to his defense blindly. I defended him because he is a regular here and is a very rational poster that treats people fair and with respect. You're 36 posts into your new account and have already started calling people out for very personal reasons. You have no righteous ground to defend here. Generally when someone starts throwing their salary around as a weapon they are doing so to cover up some serious insecurities, but you threw yours out there without even considering how meager it is lol. Trust me I know, mine is similar to yours and I have never considered bragging about my financial mediocrity haha.

ricepig

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 12:48:35 pm

How do we know that is your real name?? Post your tax return, S.S. #, your Credit Score, and your D L..........

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2017, 12:54:06 pm
How do we know that is your real name?? Post your tax return, S.S. #, your Credit Score, and your D L..........

LRHog

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 12:52:49 pm
Ive been following the thread in its entirety. I didn't run to his defense blindly. I defended him because he is a regular here and is a very rational poster that treats people fair and with respect. You're 36 posts into your new account and have already started calling people out for very personal reasons. You have no righteous ground to defend here. Generally when someone starts throwing their salary around as a weapon they are doing so to cover up some serious insecurities, but you threw yours out there without even considering how meager it is lol. Trust me I know, mine is similar to yours and I have never considered bragging about my financial mediocrity haha.

decided to withdraw my insult and actually respond,

LRHog

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 12:52:49 pm

My entire point is that my salary is meager to where I want it to be. My entire point ( that eluded you mr. genius/chamblee ) is that he's saying its essentially stupid for Enos to swap jobs for over a 300% increase in pay, meanwhile he's making 20k and probably struggles, if anyone should understand why Enos made the move, he should. You know, the old myth that money cant buy happiness.... Meanwhile we all know you cant be happy when you struggle to pay your rent/mortgage every month, or cant afford to go and do the things you want.

Clearly went right over your head because you were too busy rushing to his defense.

I called him out for being a buffoon, not personal reasons as you call them.

p.s. - when the hell did post count start equating to intelligence or any kind of "ground to defend". Either a person makes a point or not, you may disagree with it, and thats your prerogative.

gchamblee

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 01:10:30 pm
My entire point is that my salary is meager to where I want it to be. My entire point ( that eluded you mr. genius/chamblee ) is that he's saying its essentially stupid for Enos to swap jobs for over a 300% increase in pay, meanwhile he's making 20k and probably struggles, if anyone should understand why Enos made the move, he should. You know, the old myth that money cant buy happiness.... Meanwhile we all know you cant be happy when you struggle to pay your rent/mortgage every month, or cant afford to go and do the things you want.

Clearly went right over your head because you were too busy rushing to his defense.

p.s. - when the hell did post count start equating to intelligence or any kind of "ground to defend". Either a person makes a point or not, you may disagree with it, and thats your prerogative.

Apology accepted

bennyl08

Nope. I'm a grad student and fully fund my entire life myself. If 40-50k ain't darn to you, you must not know economics very well. I have a fully paid for  04 camry (paid for myself), spend an average of 450 a month for rent and utilities and have more than enough money to still save up extra at the end of each month.

Probably join an environmental consulting form or teach at a community college for a few years, then go back and get a phd, then become a researcher somewhere either at a university or private firm, or government job.

If I wanted money, geophysics is really easy for me and I'd easily be making 6 figures for a petroleum company finding oil. However, I'm much happier as a grad student and enjoy the path I'm on much more than I would be if I sold out and chased dollars rather than enjoying life. Had a friend take a 50% pay cut from living in texas and making bank in the fracking industry to move back to arkansas and work for the epa.

Can you please show me where I talked crap for somebody taking a 300% pay increase? I don't recall doing anything of the sort. Nowhere in this thread have I made comment on Enos. I was responding solely to the comment that "It was all about money.  That's why most of us work." That people get no fulfillment from their jobs whatsoever and only do it for the paycheck is depressing. You spend the majority of your life working. If spend the majority of your life doing something that you don't enjoy doing at all, then you are wasting this life. Sure, you need a paycheck to put food on the table. However, b/w making 70k doing something that I hate and 50k doing something I'm passionate about and love? Give me the latter every time.

As for Enos, difference in lifestyle b/w making 300k a year and 800k a year is largely negligible as that extra 500k is just going to go into savings in the first place. For him, he just needs to decide what makes him the happiest. He could make more as a HC at a P5 school but I doubt that is the reason he would leave. If he takes a HC job, it's because he wants to lead and wants to accomplish something himself rather than just be the assistant. However, it is entirely possible that he enjoys being an OC more than an HC. Maybe his goal is to coach a team to a Super Bowl because that aspiration is what drives him. However, you see coaches time and time again taking the job that makes them happier over what pays more. Coordinators flat out turning down HC jobs that will pay more because it's a crappy HC job and they'd rather wait until a better HC job opens up. HC's turning down the NFL which pays more because they prefer to coach at the college level. I guess they just don't want to make anything for themselves...
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 01:10:30 pm

No, I never said it was stupid for Enos to swap jobs for more money. I said it was depressing that people only work for money and don't get any enjoyment out of their jobs.

No, I'm not struggling financially when I'm able to save 1/4 of my take home pay. If I was struggling, then I'd be growing in debt or at the very least, unable to accumulate wealth. I live with other people, I paid for a dependable car upfront and thus don't have car payments. Don't pay for overpriced cable, etc... I.e. I'm fiscally responsible.

LRHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 01:42:50 pm
No, I never said it was stupid for Enos to swap jobs for more money. I said it was depressing that people only work for money and don't get any enjoyment out of their jobs.

No, I'm not struggling financially when I'm able to save 1/4 of my take home pay. If I was struggling, then I'd be growing in debt or at the very least, unable to accumulate wealth. I live with other people, I paid for a dependable car upfront and thus don't have car payments. Don't pay for overpriced cable, etc... I.e. I'm fiscally responsible.

Us normal folk call that being boring and not working hard to do what you really want to do in life.

Im not saying thats a bad thing, and never was my point, but perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.

I personally dont find it depressing at all that he took a job "only for more money". Let's be honest, the vast majority of people dont really care for what they do. I dont... but I do LOVE my co-workers, and they make it fun. For a coach to reach the level that Enos is at, he had to do it because he loved it. So I dont believe it ever needed to be in consideration for the new job, if he loved coaching enough to get to this point, then he clearly still loves it, and at that point 3x the money is a big motivator.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 01:42:50 pm

Everyone makes life decisions, almost all of us want different things, and have different values. If you're fine doing what you do, fine, and that isn't addressed just to you.

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 01:45:48 pm
Us normal folk call that being boring and not working hard to do what you really want to do in life.

I work very hard and am doing exactly what I want to do in life. Scientific research and publishing papers. Expanding humanity's knowledge. There is no job I'd rather have and I'm working up the ladder from where I'm at. Hobbies include backpacking and photography. Pretty high upfront costs for the equipment but it will then last decades and all I need to spend is gas to get there and maybe a national forest/park parking permit.

Give me the choice b/w a week in a national park vs a week in some fancy resort in the carribean that costs a thousand dollars per day and even if both trips were free for me, I'd choose the former.

QuoteIm not saying thats a bad thing, and never was my point, but perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.

Saying that somebody doesn't work hard and isn't making anything of their life is exactly being negative.

QuoteI personally dont find it depressing at all that he took a job "only for more money". Let's be honest, the vast majority of people dont really care for what they do. I dont... but I do LOVE my co-workers, and they make it fun. For a coach to reach the level that Enos is at, he had to do it because he loved it. So I dont believe it ever needed to be in consideration for the new job, if he loved coaching enough to get to this point, then he clearly still loves it, and at that point 3x the money is a big motivator.

I don't think the vast majority don't care for their jobs, but probably a majority don't. And yes, that is sad to me. Further, there's a difference between somebody doesn't really care for what they do and somebody who absolutely doesn't enjoy a single aspect of what they do. If you doing you job is "all about the money" then by definition, there can not be a single aspect of the job you like doing. Otherwise it would then just be 'mostly' about the money.

For example, by your own post, you enjoy being with your co-workers and they make your job fun at times. By definition of the word all, it isn't all about money since there are aspects (amiable coworkers) beyond money you enjoy about your job.

LRHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2017, 01:46:44 pm
Everyone makes life decisions, almost all of us want different things, and have different values. If you're fine doing what you do, fine, and that isn't addressed just to you.

Eh, disagree, when your life decisions at least currently will lead to you probably running out of money early into retirement, and then my taxes pay for you, you're not longer fine doing what you do. :)

LRHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 02:09:43 pm
I work very hard and am doing exactly what I want to do in life. Scientific research and publishing papers. Expanding humanity's knowledge. There is no job I'd rather have and I'm working up the ladder from where I'm at. Hobbies include backpacking and photography. Pretty high upfront costs for the equipment but it will then last decades and all I need to spend is gas to get there and maybe a national forest/park parking permit.

Give me the choice b/w a week in a national park vs a week in some fancy resort in the carribean that costs a thousand dollars per day and even if both trips were free for me, I'd choose the former.

Saying that somebody doesn't work hard and isn't making anything of their life is exactly being negative.

I don't think the vast majority don't care for their jobs, but probably a majority don't. And yes, that is sad to me. Further, there's a difference between somebody doesn't really care for what they do and somebody who absolutely doesn't enjoy a single aspect of what they do. If you doing you job is "all about the money" then by definition, there can not be a single aspect of the job you like doing. Otherwise it would then just be 'mostly' about the money.

For example, by your own post, you enjoy being with your co-workers and they make your job fun at times. By definition of the word all, it isn't all about money since there are aspects (amiable coworkers) beyond money you enjoy about your job.

Disagree, if someone came by and offered me 2x the pay for a job with less responsibilities, I'm gone whether my co-workers are fun or not. Thats not depressing, thats being smart. I can still be friends with them after I get off @ 5.  ;)

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 02:13:18 pm
Disagree, if someone came by and offered me 2x the pay for a job with less responsibilities, I'm gone whether my co-workers are fun or not. Thats not depressing, thats being smart. I can still be friends with them after I get off @ 5.  ;)

No, that isn't depressing, but I don't see the relevance. I've made no comment that leaving to take a better job is bad. Only that not having a single aspect of your job you like is a bad thing.

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 02:10:30 pm
Eh, disagree, when your life decisions at least currently will lead to you probably running out of money early into retirement, and then my taxes pay for you, you're not longer fine doing what you do. :)

Well, grad school doesn't last forever, and if my life decisions allow me to save 5k a year on a 25k salary, I don't think my retirement is the one you need to worry about. :) It's those middle class people who complain that taxes are too high for them to afford payments on their new car, boat, and for their kids that weren't smart enough to get scholarships to college.

LRHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 02:23:19 pm
Well, grad school doesn't last forever, and if my life decisions allow me to save 5k a year on a 25k salary, I don't think my retirement is the one you need to worry about. :) It's those middle class people who complain that taxes are too high for them to afford payments on their new car, boat, and for their kids that weren't smart enough to get scholarships to college.

5k a year, how old are you? Grad school? Lets just assume you're 25, save 5k a year until retirement at 65...

After taxes you prob take around 20k, saving 5k a year.

5,000 x 40 = 200,000$

Based on 15k a year being your expenditures, your monthly cost of living is 1,250$

Assuming nothing about your social security, etc ( would need more detail ) and lets assume you dont get a rate of return ( again assuming this is just a savings account )

assuming you want no extra income ( say movie night, a nice dinner out ), you'll be able to pull out your necessary monthly cost ( assuming nothing increases or decreases ) for 13 years and 4 months... That puts you broke at 78, now you very well may be gone and dead.... but the average life expectancy is currently just under 80 years... But that goes up every year as more and more of our generation continue to live longer, hell is 53 years we may be living to 100 regularly.

This also assumes you have no wife ( granted she could very well make more than enough! ), and no kids.

All I'm saying, is that while its great that you do what you love, money talks, bull walks.

Moral of the story: Do what you love, but god damnit you better make enough to not leech  ;)

ps - sorry I mistook your point earlier. I will say this definitely opened a unique conversation here in which I think we can all take a step back and look at different view points.

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 02:34:18 pm
5k a year, how old are you? Grad school? Lets just assume you're 25, save 5k a year until retirement at 65...

5,000 x 40 = 200,000$

Based on 15k a year being your expenditures, your monthly cost of living is 1,250$

Assuming nothing about your social security, etc ( would need more detail ) and lets assume you dont get a rate of return ( again assuming this is just a savings account )

assuming you want no extra income ( say movie night, a nice dinner out ), you'll be able to pull out your necessary monthly cost ( assuming nothing increases or decreases ) for 13 years and 4 months... That puts you broke at 78, now you very well may be gone and dead.... but the average life expectancy is currently just under 80 years... But that goes up every year as more and more of our generation continue to live longer, hell is 53 years we may be living to 100 regularly.

This also assumes you have no wife ( granted she could very well make more than enough! ), and no kids.

All I'm saying, is that while its great that you do what you love, money talks, bull walks.

Moral of the story: Do what you love, but god damnit you better make enough to not leech  ;)

You're ignoring interest of things saved (as you mention) as well as a 2% salary increase each year if I were to somehow never move beyond a graduate employee salary for the rest of my life as well as assuming I'd retire at 65 which in academia people often stay longer.

Biggest assumption there would be that I never move beyond being a grad though.

LRHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 02:38:09 pm
You're ignoring interest of things saved (as you mention) as well as a 2% salary increase each year if I were to somehow never move beyond a graduate employee salary for the rest of my life as well as assuming I'd retire at 65 which in academia people often stay longer.

Biggest assumption there would be that I never move beyond being a grad though.

Like I said, would need more info, was just going on very very limited info.

What exactly do you study?

theFlyingHog

Another thread ruined. A wise Hogvillian once told me, "don't bother reading beyond the first page of a topic because it devolves into crap". So true.

A preemptive thank you to the mod who cleans this up.

Mike_e

Live the dream Benny.

If society were all and only about the dollar we wouldn't have the 14th amendment.

Or air conditioning.

Or antibiotics.

Or the internet for that matter.  Still unsure if this one's really a good thing though.

BTW, if you're a film guy and shoot large format have you tried x-ray film?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48099-Use-of-X-ray-film-technical-discussion-with-example-images
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

LRHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 25, 2017, 02:54:27 pm
Another thread ruined. A wise Hogvillian once told me, "don't bother reading beyond the first page of a topic because it devolves into crap". So true.

A preemptive thank you to the mod who cleans this up.

Thats okay, you ruin every thread I've seen you post in anyways, you're welcome for beating you to the punch for once.

bennyl08

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 02:47:24 pm
Like I said, would need more info, was just going on very very limited info.

What exactly do you study?

Sea ice.

Quote from: Mike_e on April 25, 2017, 02:55:10 pm
Live the dream Benny.

If society were all and only about the dollar we wouldn't have the 14th amendment.

Or air conditioning.

Or antibiotics.

Or the internet for that matter.  Still unsure if this one's really a good thing though.

BTW, if you're a film guy and shoot large format have you tried x-ray film?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48099-Use-of-X-ray-film-technical-discussion-with-example-images

I have an old Canon F9, but pretty much just shoot digital as I don't have access to a dark room. While not x-ray, one of these day's I'd be interested in converting an old dslr of mine to be an infrared camera as there is some cool stuff to do with that.

umpqua

motor oil is motor oil...

PorkRinds

I love how it turned from Enos to Benny's meager salary.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 03:00:36 pm
Sea ice.

I like Sea Salt turtle chocolate ice cream with carmel, so you make that, thanks!

RazorWest

This seems derailed and destined for trash can, but if not I'll add my two cents on Enos.  I think he's an excellent OC.  Most Coordinators I see that are getting head coaching jobs at big time schools are good Coordinators but proven stud recruiters a la Coach O at LSU.  I don't see Enos getting a big time job without being a proven big time recruiter.  I think he'll have to go to a small power five school first and prove himself. 

gchamblee

Quote from: LRHog on April 25, 2017, 02:13:18 pm

You're young. I will give you some information that for now you will not grasp but later you will get it. Your priorities will change as you get older. Money is very important to you right now obviously, but as you get older happiness might displace it. This is a common phenom.

gchamblee

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 25, 2017, 03:18:25 pm
I love how it turned from Enos to Benny's meager salary.

Come on man, let us have a little fun with the kid that just got out of college and thinks he has it all figured out, even though life hasn't had a chance to throw him any curve balls yet. This dude is just knocking it out of the park and aint afraid of any pitches in the arsenal :P

ricepig

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 03:47:53 pm
You're young. I will give you some information that for now you will not grasp but later you will get it. Your priorities will change as you get older. Money is very important to you right now obviously, but as you get older happiness might displace it. This is a common phenom.

Nah, I'm old, money and happiness can go hand in hand. It seems it takes more to keep everyone happy!

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2017, 03:51:14 pm
Nah, I'm old, money and happiness can go hand in hand. It seems it takes more to keep everyone happy!

True, I will give you that. I would love to make more money, but I have turned down jobs paying a lot more than I make now because of the cost of living where I live and how much I love my job.

Dwight_K_Shrute

5,000 x 40 = 200,000$

ps - sorry I mistook your point earlier. I will say this definitely opened a unique conversation here in which I think we can all take a step back and look at different view points.

I've never seen a worse calculation for retirement savings, that totally ignores interest/earnings compounding. 

$5,000 per year that earns 5% a year will be worth $600,000 after 40 years if nothing is taken out.  Earning an average of 5% a year is not that difficult if starting at age 25 since the person can invest in higher risk mutuals which over long time horizons will give decent yields.

Also if Benny is a state/university employee and stays in that system for 40 years he will be just fine as well because they offer a defined benefit pension. 

Now I will say kudos to Benny if he is making 25k and saving 5 of that each year.  He's got to be single, no kids, and have the needs and wants of a Amish monk.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogcard1964

Quote from: RazorWest on April 25, 2017, 03:46:23 pm
This seems derailed and destined for trash can, but if not I'll add my two cents on Enos.  I think he's an excellent OC.  Most Coordinators I see that are getting head coaching jobs at big time schools are good Coordinators but proven stud recruiters a la Coach O at LSU.  I don't see Enos getting a big time job without being a proven big time recruiter.  I think he'll have to go to a small power five school first and prove himself.

+1000

He's right where he belongs.   ...hopefully for a loooooooong time.

Fwiw, this is the guy we need to start thinking about extending.  He's the one and only coach from this squad that's proven himself.

ricepig

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 03:57:20 pm
True, I will give you that. I would love to make more money, but I have turned down jobs paying a lot more than I make now because of the cost of living where I live and how much I love my job.

I never worked for anyone else, outside of odd jobs in the summer while in college, so I understand doing something you love. As to the more money/cost of living, the only thing that matters is the net.

Gonzo

I wish I had the world as figured out as most of the crowd in here. As it is, feel like I'm doing good just managing my own little corner of it and not screwing it up too badly.

Oh, and I think Enos is a pretty good coach......seems like this all started with something along those lines.

Go Hogs!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

April 25, 2017, 04:33:55 pm #91 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:01:04 pm by OneTuskOverTheLine™

5,000 x 40 = 200,000$

If you had started off your rebuttal (15 posts ago) with the same vibe as you finished above, this conversation would have been over a terabyte ago. Your word choices are all wrong. They inflect tone, and before you tell me that no tone was intended i want to point out that I've never heard anyone repeatedly attempt to paint another person as a moron in polite conversation...

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bennyl08

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 25, 2017, 04:03:30 pm
I've never seen a worse calculation for retirement savings, that totally ignores interest/earnings compounding. 

$5,000 per year that earns 5% a year will be worth $600,000 after 40 years if nothing is taken out.  Earning an average of 5% a year is not that difficult if starting at age 25 since the person can invest in higher risk mutuals which over long time horizons will give decent yields.

Also if Benny is a state/university employee and stays in that system for 40 years he will be just fine as well because they offer a defined benefit pension. 

Now I will say kudos to Benny if he is making 25k and saving 5 of that each year.  He's got to be single, no kids, and have the needs and wants of a Amish monk.

Not single, but definitely no kids. The real kicker is splitting rent and utilities with other people. Without that I'd barely be able to scrape by.

southeasthog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 25, 2017, 04:08:49 pm
+1000

He's right where he belongs.   ...hopefully for a loooooooong time.

Fwiw, this is the guy we need to start thinking about extending.  He's the one and only coach from this squad that's proven himself.
Uh, Smith?

bphi11ips

God Bless You, Benny. 

There's an old saying that law students enter law school wanting to do good, and they leave wanting to do well.  Your principles are admirable, even though some might find them naïve.  Your standards may change when your wife decides she wants a nice home in which to raise your children.  Enos has two.  But your standards can increase without compromising your principles or changing what you love to do.  It just takes more money. Enos didn't change professions.

Somehow you extended my comment that we work for money to "people get no fulfillment from their jobs whatsoever and only do it for the paycheck".  I didn't say that.  Kenny Rogers once told me "Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."  I told him that was easy for him to say.  I've been blessed to have spent the last twenty-five years representing celebrities.  Most of the time I love my job.  It doesn't seem like long ago that I was sharing rent in a house off Highway 16 with a friend in law school.  I've never been happier than when we would catch the white bass making their run up the White River, or when I was catching smallies wading in the Kings.  I could be really happy living in a holler in Newton County by a stream - but my wife wouldn't be, and my kids wouldn't have all the opportunities they have available in a city like Nashville, Tennessee.  If they grow up and want to live in a holler in the Ozarks, that will tickle me, but if they want to work on Wall Street, I want them to have that opportunity, too.  It gets expensive.

So back to Dan Enos.  Here's a link to an article I read just before I made my first post in this thread:       

http://footballscoop.com/news/dan-enos-left-central-michigan-go/

The article states "Enos felt he had to take an offer on the table from Arkansas, and told his staff he had to do what was best for his family."  It then goes on to discuss Enos' salary at Central Michigan and speculates about what he would make at Arkansas.  There isn't but one way to interpret that - Enos made the move because he doubled his salary.  And THAT was the point of my post.  He may leave to take a head coach job or an OC job that includes a substantial raise, but he's not leaving, in my opinion, to go backwards in salary, not even for a head coaching job.  And there are currently about 35 FBS schools with head coaches who make less than Enos makes at Arkansas.

You can be excused at your age for thinking that someone who makes more than $375,000 per year will simply save the rest.  Trust me, people who make multiples of what Enos makes now manage to spend 110% of their income.  Doesn't mean you will, but my point is that most people, especially at Dan Enos' level, will go with the job that pays them the most money.  In other words, to keep him, we have to compete with those who want him.  If he accepts a job as head coach at a P5 school, more power to him.  He's definitely one of my favorite Razorbacks assistants in recent memory. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bennyl08

bphi11ips

2 comments.

First, what is the origin of your screen name?

Two, upon further reading of your original post, I see this is an example of me being super strict on words and parsing them more than anything else. Essentially, I read in your post that money is all that matters in a job and thus there is no room for any other consideration.

Also, no wife yet, but my SO is probably going to be the money maker of the household as she is almost done with her phd, though I hope to get mine someday.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 07:19:57 pm
bphi11ips

2 comments.

Two, upon further reading of your original post, I see this is an example of me being super strict on words and parsing them more than anything else. Essentially, I read in your post that money is all that matters in a job and thus there is no room for any other consideration.

Also, no wife yet, but my SO is probably going to be the money maker of the household as she is almost done with her phd, though I hope to get mine someday.

Ah.....marrying up, one way to riches...... ;)

HamSammich

amazing... the lifes in this thread no existent they are.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 07:19:57 pm
bphi11ips

2 comments.

My name is Bruce Phillips. I created my account here during football season in 2006 at a time I knew nothing about social media and very little about the internet. I didn't know what a "screen name" was, but I entered a name the IT guy at UA's law school gave me when he set up an account for me while I was teaching there during the previous summer.  Then I saw all the clever anonymous screen names people use here and wished I'd known what I was doing. I would have used something like "E Pluribus Porcus". 

But I agree with G Chamblee. If you're going to take a position in a public forum, you ought to have the sack to use your own name. When Nutt lovers were whining about Cheetoh eaters in their mother's basement, I was happy to post my name, address and phone number. At that point it made no sense to change my screen name here.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 24, 2017, 11:16:04 pm
If I was happy running my own shop (wouldn't consider it small at that salary) and I would be less happy at the JB Hunt job, I'd turn it down easily. I wouldn't be able to spend 375k a year if I tried. I made 25k this past year pre taxes and still was able to add an extra 5k to my savings. If I was making 375k a year, I'd probably only work for 10 years and then do whatever the heck I wanted for the rest of my life, which in this scenario would probably include working on diesel engines in whatever way I find most enjoyable.

I'd much rather make 40-50k a year as a full time researcher somewhere than 100k as an accountant. Doesn't take a lot of money for me to be happy and enjoy life.

^^^Totally agree. You, my friend, are in a good place.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber