Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is why the media hates Arkansas

Started by synthartist69, March 18, 2017, 12:38:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

synthartist69

Face it guys, the world views Arkansas as redneck uneducated hillbillies. And in many cases, that is what we are. I mean, I live in Van Buren and the farther north you travel the more hillbilly it gets. If you want to step back 150 years, just travel to northern Crawford County. So, because of this, we are not respected. I mean, we have dry counties and it took 30 more years than some states to get a lottery here because we thought that buying a lottery ticket would destroy lives, cause drugs and crime. We have more people in prision per capita than any other state. Crawford County has the largest jail in the state now. Imagine the people who are passing through who tune into sport talk radio and hear most of the callers who are on the shows. We really do look and sound like idiots to outsiders. We will never get respect until we move into the 21st century with the rest of the nation. We will continue to be looked down upon as fools. But what is cool about that is the fact that when we do win, it feels REALLY great!! To rise up from the ashes and to defeat the bullies in basketball, football, the refs, the commentators is all worth me putting my bubba teeth in for every game. GO HOGS!!!!

Westcoasthog

Do you really believe that the world views Arkansas as redneck uneducated hillbillies.   I definitely do not think so with that statement.

Cinco de Hogo

March 18, 2017, 01:25:36 am #2 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:35:39 am by Cinco de Hogo
I have been to literally every corner of this great country and most points in between.  You should try it sometimes, might give you some prospective.

Another thing that might help you is to look at the late election map.  Those areas in blue are mostly just really weird people that don't matter at all and it wouldn't matter if the disappeared.  However those areas in red, those people are pretty much just like the people of Arkansas and if they disappeared this country would collapse and all those people in the blue areas would starve to death...if they didn't kill and eat each other first.

goodguytex

Quote from: synthartist69 on March 18, 2017, 12:38:09 am
Face it guys, the world views Arkansas as redneck uneducated hillbillies. And in many cases, that is what we are. I mean, I live in Van Buren and the farther north you travel the more hillbilly it gets. If you want to step back 150 years, just travel to northern Crawford County. So, because of this, we are not respected. I mean, we have dry counties and it took 30 more years than some states to get a lottery here because we thought that buying a lottery ticket would destroy lives, cause drugs and crime. We have more people in prision per capita than any other state. Crawford County has the largest jail in the state now. Imagine the people who are passing through who tune into sport talk radio and hear most of the callers who are on the shows. We really do look and sound like idiots to outsiders. We will never get respect until we move into the 21st century with the rest of the nation. We will continue to be looked down upon as fools. But what is cool about that is the fact that when we do win, it feels REALLY great!! To rise up from the ashes and to defeat the bullies in basketball, football, the refs, the commentators is all worth me putting my bubba teeth in for every game. GO HOGS!!!!
So being able to buy beer and a lottery ticket is what makes you civilized? Interesting point of view.

Inhogswetrust

March 18, 2017, 08:58:05 am #4 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:08:38 am by Inhogswetrust

You're the uneducated one. There are still seven states without their own lotteries. You might be surprised at one of them..........none other than Nevada. Other states also still have dry counties. Even California allows cities to have some stricter liquor laws than the state law. Also Arkansas does not have the highest prison population per capita. If you want to step back 150 yeas in time look out your window in Van Buren. You don't need to travel to northern Crawford county or any other for that matter. I guess you're never heard the callers to Finebaum from Alabama either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr. Starcs

Thank you......for now holding the honor of dumbest post I've seen.

synthartist69

You folks are out of touch with reality.. lol

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: synthartist69 on March 18, 2017, 10:01:53 am
You folks are out of touch with reality.. lol

I think your a very cute 13 year old so you've got a whole life ahead of you to figure out how dumb a 13 year can be.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

No doubt we Arkansans have our issues and share of problems. However, if you bothered to travel outside of the county or even state (much less country), you'd quickly discover that EVERY area has its issues-and that INCLUDES the sacred (to some) N.E. and left coast. Heck, I can't tell you how many folks from the NY area actually view that anything west of Pennsylvania is still the "wild west". And for arrogance how about the clowns out in Calif. that are unhappy with things like the election and want to seriously consider breaking away from the rest of the U.S. Now tell us how all that's going to work ??? There's a reason that the "left coast", especially the Golden Bear State, is known by many as "the land of fruits and nuts".

So.....before you continue to rant about our state's problems how about stepping back away from the ledge? If you do you'll first of all realize that every place in this wide, wide world has their problems/imperfections. Secondly, you'll also find that Arkansas IS truly blessed with some of the most beautiful and genuinely friendly and kind folks in the world. And that latter observation comes from my discussions with literally scores of folks who are neither native Arkansans or have any particularly vested interest in saying such. Many say that in their opinion(s) it's one of the best kept secrets in the country.

DeltaBoy

We have Aggies and they are worse than Hill Billies or Rednecks.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

goodguytex

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2017, 03:14:08 pm
We have Aggies and they are worse than Hill Billies or Rednecks.
Short horn fans are right up there with Aggie fans. And arrogant and condescending as all get out.

LRHawg

Haha, you think Crawford county is bad, you should venture up into literally almost any rural county in KY. It's twice as bad. Sorry to destroy your narrative.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LRHawg on March 22, 2017, 01:54:23 pm
Haha, you think Crawford county is bad, you should venture up into literally almost any rural county in KY. It's twice as bad. Sorry to destroy your narrative.
Too right. As I said earlier, EVERY state and every country has it's share of "what the heck is this person thinking/doing". While we obviously our fair share, I won't ever apologize for being a native Arkansan or purposely choosing to live in this wonderful state. In the end, at least in my opinion, the great far outweighs the bad.

Stephen Greene

There's a breakfast restaurant in Crawford County and it's one of the best I've ever had. Can't think of the name of it, but I don't think it's very far from the prison. I got up early once and drove into Crawford County, just for the expressed purpose of buying a lottery ticket and having some biscuits and gravy at that Crawford County breakfast restaurant. I did hear some early morning sports talk, coming I think from NORTH OF VAN BUREN. Pretty sure. And I do have to admit, those people sounded pretty backwoods. And that's exactly what NOT having a lottery will do to you. MAKE YOU STUPID!  >:( Anyway, the radio talk disgusted me so much, I just grabbed a quick lottery ticket and some beer and headed back home. Totally skipped breakfast except for the beer.

DeltaBoy

We been hated since we became a territory.  ::hornsdown::
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 22, 2017, 04:47:28 pm
There's a breakfast restaurant in Crawford County and it's one of the best I've ever had. Can't think of the name of it, but I don't think it's very far from the prison. I got up early once and drove into Crawford County, just for the expressed purpose of buying a lottery ticket and having some biscuits and gravy at that Crawford County breakfast restaurant. I did hear some early morning sports talk, coming I think from NORTH OF VAN BUREN. Pretty sure. And I do have to admit, those people sounded pretty backwoods. And that's exactly what NOT having a lottery will do to you. MAKE YOU STUPID!  >:( Anyway, the radio talk disgusted me so much, I just grabbed a quick lottery ticket and some beer and headed back home. Totally skipped breakfast except for the beer.
did they have cathead biscuits?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 18, 2017, 01:25:36 am
I have been to literally every corner of this great country and most points in between.  You should try it sometimes, might give you some prospective.

Another thing that might help you is to look at the late election map.  Those areas in blue are mostly just really weird people that don't matter at all and it wouldn't matter if the disappeared.  However those areas in red, those people are pretty much just like the people of Arkansas and if they disappeared this country would collapse and all those people in the blue areas would starve to death...if they didn't kill and eat each other first.

ROFL. I wish the people in red states would be gassed.

You do know California is the country's biggest producer of agricultural products, right?
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 07, 2017, 07:10:42 pm

You do know California is the country's biggest producer of agricultural products, right?

Well, it's not because U.S. citizens are doing the labor, lol.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: ricepig on June 07, 2017, 08:10:28 pm
Well, it's not because U.S. citizens are doing the labor, lol.

Nope, they are too lazy.

bp

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 18, 2017, 01:25:36 am

amen

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 07, 2017, 07:10:42 pm

I guarantee you we could do without anything produced in California.  However I wonder just how those farmer(not the illegal aliens) voted.  They are pretty much outside the major metropolitan areas.

Hawgphat

Neither urbane sophistication nor illiterate ignorance are mutually exclusive to any particular geographic area within these United States.  Stereotypes notwithstanding, Arkansas bears no stigmatized societal shame for which Arkansans are obliged to hang their heads.   

Three and Snout

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 11, 2017, 12:06:19 am
I guarantee you we could do without anything produced in California.

"Over a third of the country's vegetables and two-thirds of the country's fruits and nuts are grown in California."

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

Cinco de Hogo

August 15, 2017, 10:24:31 am #24 Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:17:05 pm by Cinco de Hogo
Quote from: Three and Snout on August 15, 2017, 08:34:21 am
"Over a third of the country's vegetables and two-thirds of the country's fruits and nuts are grown in California."

I was raised a farmer. 😉

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Three and Snout on August 15, 2017, 08:34:21 am

I've been to California many times. Actually going again next week.......................you're right there are a lot of nuts there.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 15, 2017, 12:19:24 pm
I've been to California many times. Actually going again next week.......................you're right there are a lot of nuts there.
Fruits too...
All Gas, No Brakes!

husker71

Even if Cali pulled out of the union they would still have to sell all those fruits and vegetables to someone and who would be by far their biggest and best outlet   well of course the remaining 49 states.  Some of the posters here act like they would just sell to everyone else and then leave the 49 states high and dry   never going to happen