Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB at Mary Nutter - Day 3 San Diego

Started by psycHOGlogist, February 19, 2017, 11:01:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Day 2 games were all washed out, today's game is against San Diego, who we were supposed to play yesterday.

Lineup below, with Moll pitching.

Canfield - CF
Hiers - C
Schroeder - RF
Diaz - 1b
Warrick - DP
Belans - SS
Cooper - LF
Yannetti - 2b
Russell - 3b

T1

SD leadoff hitter singles, advances to 2b on passed ball (argh).
2 hitter grounds out, runner advances to third.
3 hole hitter singles, runner scores from 3rd.
Runner thrown out trying to steal (yay!)
Clean up hitter K's, swinging at 3-2 pitch.

1-0 bad guys.

Top of the order coming up for Hogs.

psycHOGlogist

B1

Canfield singles up the middle.
Hiers gets plunked, Canfield to 2b.
Schroeder advances on an error, bases loaded.
Diaz K's swinging (on 3 pitches)
Warrick K's as well, swinging on a 3-2 pitch. 2 down, bases loaded.
Belans grounds to SS, who boots it. Everyone's safe, 1-1, bases loaded for Cooper.
BOOOM! Cooper clears the bases with a GS!!!! 5-1 :razorback:

Yannetti keeps the inning going with a single to LF. We've sent all 9 to the plate this inning, with Russell up at the plate.
Russell "bunts" and ends up on 2nd base, Yannetti on 3rd after a muffed throw. 3rd San Diego error this inning! Runners at 2/3 for Canfield.
Canfield grounds out to 2b, who manages to make the play. 5-1 Hogs. To B2.

(Seriously - that was 3 errors on the SD infield, 1@ for the 3b, SS, and 2b.)

psycHOGlogist

T2
5-6-7 due up for the Toreros.

5 hitter pops out to Yannetti.
6 grounds out to Belans.
7 hitter is Moll's second K of the day, swinging and missing the 2-2 pitch.

Good inning for Moll to consolidate the lead. Due up B2: Hiers, Schroeder, Diaz.

psycHOGlogist

B2

Hiers flies out to LF.
Schroeder lines out to 2b.
Diaz K's again. Again on 3 pitches. Hmm...

Due up for the Toreros - 8-9-1 hitters.

psycHOGlogist

T3

8 hitter hits a nubber that Hiers fields and throws to 1st to get her. 1 down.
Moll gets her 3rd K on the 9 hitter.
And Moll gets the leadoff hitter to ground to 2b. 3 up/down.

Due up for the Hogs: Warrick, Belans, and Salami Cooper!

psycHOGlogist

February 19, 2017, 11:39:28 am #5 Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:49:50 am by psycHOGlogist
B3

Warrick knocks it over the LF fence, HR. 6-1 :razorback:
Belans grounds out to P.
Cooper singles up the middle.
1 on, 1 out for Yannetti.
Yannetti pops out to shallow CF.
Russell turns over the lineup again with a single to 3rd, Cooper to 2nd.
Canfield earns a full count BB, loading the bases for Hiers, 2 out.
Hiers gets walked on 4 pitches, Cooper crosses the plate to make it 7-1 Hogs. Bases still loaded, 2 outs for Schroeder.
And Schroeder gets our SECOND GRAND SLAM of the game!!!! 11-1 Hogs.

Pitching change for San Diego (ya think?)
Diaz hits her first offering and flies out to CF. 11-1 Hogs heading to T4. Run rule in effect now.

psycHOGlogist

T4

2 hitter for San Diego singles up the middle.
Next batter lines out to LF, 1 down.
Moll gets the clean up hitter swinging (again), 2 down.
And Moll gets the last out of the inning with a grounder to 3b.

Not to jinx anything, but Moll is doing a much better job today staying ahead of (or at least even with) hitters.

Due up for the Hogs in B4 - Warrick, Belans, Cooper. Hmm... sounds familiar. (See B3)

psycHOGlogist

February 19, 2017, 12:00:31 pm #7 Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:16:33 pm by psycHOGlogist
B4

Benz actually PH's for Warrick and singles to RF. Parr pinch runs.
Parr advances to 2b on pitch way over the C's head. (WP)
Belans flies out to CF.
Cooper hits ANOTHER ONE OUT OF THE YARD, opposite field to LF - 13-1 Hogs.
Box PH's for Yannetti, singles to RF, Beringhele comes in to run.
Russell walks on four pitches, runners at 1/2, 1 out for Canfield.
Canfield hits a come-backer to the P, who gets Beringhele at 3rd on the force. 2 down, runners 1/2 for Hiers.
Actually, Hailey MacKay gets her first AB for Hiers. Yay, Hailey.
She takes a good cut but pops out to 2b.

Headed to B5 3 outs away from run rule win.
Due up for the Toreros - 6-7-8 batters. Pitching change maybe?

ETA - the Razorback SB twitter account periscoped the B4 inning, so you can see Tori's 2nd home run here:
https://twitter.com/RazorbackSB/status/833375398633156612

psycHOGlogist

T5
And we have our first Caroline Hedgcock sighting!!! She takes to the mound T5. Yay, Caroline!

She retires her first batter on a fly out to RF.
She gets the 2nd hitter to ground out to 3b.
And she ends the game by getting her first career K on a 3-2 swinging strike!!!!

WOO HOO! Hogs win 13-1.

Great weekend in Palm Springs - on to Boca next weekend where we'll play FAMU (x2), FAU, Connecticut, and Memphis.

Really awesome to see Hedgcock come in and get some action, and to see Moll doing so much better with her control. I didn't want to jinx it before, but ... SHE DIDN'T WALK ANYONE today! :-)

psycHOGlogist

I would also add that the amount of offensive production we are getting with 2-outs is amazing. I would venture a guess that the majority of our runs so far this year have been put up with two outs. Good mindset there from the hitters.

flippinhogmana

thanks psych, I think Schroeder might get the nod (depending on what the rest of the SEC players have done) over Storms for POW.  Schroeder leads the SEC in three statistical categories
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

February 19, 2017, 07:01:40 pm #11 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:41:32 am by psycHOGlogist
I would be surprised if any Arkansas players get recognized this week, honestly. Two weeks in a row for a cellar-dweller program seems unlikely. Maybe Storms could be FotW? Florida had a VERY surprising loss (to previously winless Maryland), though, and Alabama lost two games to ULL, so I suppose anything is possible!

Martin for Auburn pitched a 1 hitter and had a couple wins this weekend, too, and the team had an undefeated weekend. Maybe she'll be up for PotW?  It's kind of cool to be thinking about Hog players as being in the convo for weekly awards, I must say!

Updated - we're both off!

http://www.secsports.com/article/18725135/softball-players-week

Kind of hard to argue with those choices. That's the SEC for you.

hawg1221

I wish there was more coverage of the LadyBacks softball team. With the way they're starting the season, I'm surprised that there's like no mention of them, even briefly, on the local sports programs. Go Razorbacks!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 20, 2017, 09:10:18 am
I wish there was more coverage of the LadyBacks softball team. With the way they're starting the season, I'm surprised that there's like no mention of them, even briefly, on the local sports programs. Go Razorbacks!

I think the media has been slow to catch on to softball's popularity. ESPN used to never show softball, and when they did they shunted it to their lower tier networks. The (relatively) enormous ratings the the WCWS has gotten the past several years, though, has opened their eyes a bit, and they now broadcast more softball and cover the WCWS on the main network. I suspect the local media will catch up eventually - especially if you contact them and ask them to! Plus, if the fans start showing up, they won't have a choice.