Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kingsley This Week: 15 PPG on 62% FG + 93% FT, 10 RPG, 4 BPG

Started by pigsooie1000, February 18, 2017, 07:52:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigsooie1000

Big time numbers, doing exactly what we need him to do. Shot just a couple of jumpers and rebounded and played D like a beast while getting to the line and making his FTs

PonderinHog

Youngsta71701

Somebody must have had a talk with him about not being outside so much. I love the way he's playing right now. He's finally rebounding like we all knew he could.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

RaisinHog

It's the new defense it keeps him in the paint more .. praise the good Lord

RaisinHog

But dang that's a crazy good line is that player of the week good?

PonderinHog

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 18, 2017, 08:20:05 pm
Ha!  That defense is older than dirt!   ;)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 18, 2017, 08:20:05 pm
He's staying in the paint more on offense too. Shooting less jumpers.

hogmolar

He has frustrated me so much this year. These last few games he has been aggressive on the rebounds. No more volleyball slap. He is going up and grabbing those boards now. Big improvement.

jm

Moses has not been Moses' biggest problem in the majority of the games. Mike has asked him to do things he simply cannot do way too often.

bvillepig

Quote from: jm on February 19, 2017, 02:24:44 pm
Moses has not been Moses' biggest problem in the majority of the games. Mike has asked him to do things he simply cannot do way too often.

Moses is finally Moses.  Maybe the NBA was asking him to do things he simply can't do.  I hope he continues. Moses is the key.

snf6278

Quote from: bvillepig on February 19, 2017, 02:36:41 pm
Moses is finally Moses.  Maybe the NBA was asking him to do things he simply can't do.  I hope he continues. Moses is the key.
This was my thought as well. The taking three's and such. I wonder if that's what he was told at these camps last summer? I love his play these last two games! WPS

niels_boar

Kingsley has been better on O that he gets credit for.  He's been in double figures in 11 of the last 13 games.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

XavierZane

A big part of the drop in Kingsley's offensive numbers has been the lack of someone that can pass it inside, he's missing Durham big time.  Another big part is the simple fact that there are more scorers on the team this year.  Last year we had three scorers averaging 15+, then a drop down to 7.  This year is much more evenly distributed.

Kingsley has also been versatile this year, even when offensively disapointing.  He has only had a handful of truly bad games, as usually even if he doesn't get many points he gets rebounds, steals, assists or blocks.  This year he is leading two of those categories, and in the top five on the team in each of them.

HoopS

One of the reasons I had begun to turn on keeping MA was thebuse of Moses defensively. You cannot convince me it's a solid idea to have your big chasing guards and a guard having to slide inside the paint due to it. Killing me watching that crap continually bite us. Glad to see it is changing. And also glad to see us using twin towers.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jm on February 19, 2017, 02:24:44 pm
If you look at the switching on defense I don't think Mike was telling him to do that. I wish he would have told him stop if he wasn't, but anyways. Moses jumps out there a lot of times before the screen is even made. No coach with any kind of sense would have him doing that unless they were supposed to be trapping the ball handler. JMO...could be wrong though. Maybe I give Mike too much credit... :-\

JayBell

Quote from: niels_boar on February 19, 2017, 02:46:42 pmKingsley has been better on O that he gets credit for.  He's been in double figures in 11 of the last 13 games.

He just does not shoot enough.  He's tied for 32nd in the SEC in shots attempted.  That can't be the case for the Preseason Player of the Year and your senior leader.  It has gotten better though because he wasn't even in the top 40 just a few games ago.

His FG% and rebounds are down, but his FT% is way up.  He's still be relatively efficient, but not near as involved in the offense as he should be.

cableguy

So many people on Hogville have amnesia. Do I just read that Kingsley dont't shoot the ball enough? There whole offense was ran through Kingsley until recently. Kingsley is not a good post up player period. He's respectable but not good. Even when he establishes good position in the post and he doesn't use his body well to score and he doesn't pass well out of double teams. Moses probably has the least amount of dunks and 3 point plays for a big man that plays as many minutes as he does. He is talented because of his height and quickness, but to say Moses need to shoot more is insane giving the fact that is not his strength.

JayBell

Quote from: cableguy on February 20, 2017, 09:40:41 amSo many people on Hogville have amnesia. Do I just read that Kingsley dont't shoot the ball enough? There whole offense was ran through Kingsley until recently. Kingsley is not a good post up player period. He's respectable but not good. Even when he establishes good position in the post and he doesn't use his body well to score and he doesn't pass well out of double teams. Moses probably has the least amount of dunks and 3 point plays for a big man that plays as many minutes as he does. He is talented because of his height and quickness, but to say Moses need to shoot more is insane giving the fact that is not his strength.

Fine.  He should have more "field goals."  Is that better?  I never said Kingsley should take more jump shots.  He was the Preseason Player of the Year.  You can't have 30+ other players in the SEC taking more "field goals" than him.  Whether it is getting him the ball in the paint more often or getting him to be more aggressive around the rim, he should have attempted more "field goals" throughout the season.

hogcam

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 19, 2017, 08:29:28 pm
If you look at the switching on defense I don't think Mike was telling him to do that. I wish he would have told him stop if he wasn't, but anyways. Moses jumps out there a lot of times before the screen is even made. No coach with any kind of sense would have him doing that unless they were supposed to be trapping the ball handler. JMO...could be wrong though. Maybe I give Mike too much credit... :-\
That is called hedging the screen.  He is supposed to do that and then get back on his man when the guy that was screened fights over the screen.  I have been critical of Mike for one reason.  His man defense philosophy of switching every screen no matter what is the dumbest thing in the history of basketball.  I like him as a person and thank God that he has went to that zone because he does not know how to coach man defense.

cableguy

Quote from: JayBell on February 20, 2017, 09:03:21 am
He just does not shoot enough.  He's tied for 32nd in the SEC in shots attempted.  That can't be the case for the Preseason Player of the Year and your senior leader.  It has gotten better though because he wasn't even in the top 40 just a few games ago.

His FG% and rebounds are down, but his FT% is way up.  He's still be relatively efficient, but not near as involved in the offense as he should be.
Agreed. I think the way we are using him right now is perfect. Early on in our season, the focus was to pound the ball to Kingsley and opposing team knew this and could easily game plan.  The focus on offense now is to move, screen, cut, pass and get it to try to the open player. Teams can't key on Kingsley as much and that's probably why his production has gone up. I do not want to go back to throw the ball in to Kingsley and everyone stand around that will bring back nightmares.

sadhogfan

Quote from: niels_boar on February 19, 2017, 02:46:42 pm
Kingsley has been better on O that he gets credit for.  He's been in double figures in 11 of the last 13 games.

sadhogfan

Quote from: XavierZane on February 19, 2017, 08:04:37 pm
A big part of the drop in Kingsley's offensive numbers has been the lack of someone that can pass it inside, he's missing Durham big time.  Another big part is the simple fact that there are more scorers on the team this year.  Last year we had three scorers averaging 15+, then a drop down to 7.  This year is much more evenly distributed.

Kingsley has also been versatile this year, even when offensively disapointing.  He has only had a handful of truly bad games, as usually even if he doesn't get many points he gets rebounds, steals, assists or blocks.  This year he is leading two of those categories, and in the top five on the team in each of them.

HoopS

The negatives with Moses for me were more about him chasing guards and decision making on offense at times. He may have scored but he still struggled in some areas that hurt us. Hopefully that's fixed.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JayBell on February 20, 2017, 09:51:54 am
Fine.  He should have more "field goals."  Is that better?  I never said Kingsley should take more jump shots.  He was the Preseason Player of the Year.  You can't have 30+ other players in the SEC taking more "field goals" than him.  Whether it is getting him the ball in the paint more often or getting him to be more aggressive around the rim, he should have attempted more "field goals" throughout the season.
I will say this. In most games that I have seen this year he gets double teamed as soon as he gets the ball down low or close to the basket and he usually does the right thing by passing it to an open teammate.