Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How did we let Pagnozzi boy get away?

Started by Kenny Sowers, February 18, 2017, 04:17:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Sowers

Whats the real story behind this, how did he end up in oxford? He has done decent at ole miss. Came in relief for them today, faced 7, SO 3, and gave up 1 hit.
CMA "We're going to pick them up when they get off the damn bus", in reference to guarding the other team.

ricepig

SPAL

From what I can recall, he just wanted to get away from Arkansas

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 18, 2017, 05:24:57 pm

Yep. Was never going to be a Razorback.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pigture perfect

Tom and DVH didn't much care for each other. Shhhh!!!! Don't tell them I said that.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jry04

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 18, 2017, 06:46:17 pm
Tom and DVH didn't much care for each other. Shhhh!!!! Don't tell them I said that.
This rumor gets posted every year without any facts. Tom and Andy both have said in public and in private 10000000 times that Andy wanted to leave. He did not want to play where his dad did, and did not want to go to school in his hometown. Regardless of his father, Andy was never going to Arkansas.

John Snow

I just remember that Tom Pagnozzi had an office at Baum studium up until before His last year in high school and moved his office to Dickson street just out the blue .I also heard DVH rubbed him the wrong way in recruiting or very little DVH did on Pagnozzi's son.

Maddhog

Pagnozzi served as a volunteer assistant coach for DVH when DVH was hired.  He left after a few years and the rumor was that he and DVH  did not see eye to eye on certain issues.   I was not at all surprised when the son signed with another school.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Birminghog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 18, 2017, 05:24:57 pm

to go to Oxford, Mississippi? The immediate campus surroundings are cool, but - Oxford, Mississippi?

clutch

Quote from: Birminghog on February 20, 2017, 08:28:13 am
to go to Oxford, Mississippi? The immediate campus surroundings are cool, but - Oxford, Mississippi?

Not a bad place to be if you are a baseball player. They love them some baseball there.

FBREW000

TP has been on several trips aiding the razorback foundation, golf tournys, , etc...

Nothing to see here...

SPAL

Quote from: Birminghog on February 20, 2017, 08:28:13 am

There is some truth to pagnizzi not agreeing with dvh on some issues with pitching. How much it effected Andy is not known to me. I've heard rumblings like you all have, but I'm not able to say for sure.

Andy didn't wanna because razorback. That I know.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: clutch on February 20, 2017, 09:18:42 pm
Not a bad place to be if you are a baseball player. They love them some baseball there.

True story.  Attendance down there was over 30,000 for the opening weekend.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hound

They were playing number 10 with great weather

John Snow

Pagnozzi still had an office for his foundation at Baum Stadium  even after being a volunteer coach . He moved his office  after it came out  that he wanted go to Ole Miss after feeling slighted by DVH in recruiting and recruiting other players on his team in Fayetteville  and in Northwest Arkansas got more respect in recruiting.  Maybe DVH and Pagnozzi had a bad fall out and DVH never intended to recruit his son or want him because of his dad.That is the on bad drawback with DVH is that he holds a grudge with people and especially players on the team just look at pitchers who get in his doghouse and stay there for four straight years like Randall Fant .

spe450

Quote from: John Snow on February 22, 2017, 02:15:11 pm
Pagnozzi still had an office for his foundation at Baum Stadium  even after being a volunteer coach . He moved his office  after it came out  that he wanted go to Ole Miss after feeling slighted by DVH in recruiting and recruiting other players on his team in Fayetteville  and in Northwest Arkansas got more respect in recruiting.  Maybe DVH and Pagnozzi had a bad fall out and DVH never intended to recruit his son or want him because of his dad.That is the on bad drawback with DVH is that he holds a grudge with people and especially players on the team just look at pitchers who get in his doghouse and stay there for four straight years like Randall Fant .

I feel like Fant got a lot of opportunities to get out of that house.

pigture perfect

Yeah, but I know relatives of Fant's who hardly ever miss a game and love DVH. I'm thinking, not much there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 21, 2017, 03:49:32 pm
There is some truth to pagnizzi not agreeing with dvh on some issues with pitching. How much it effected Andy is not known to me. I've heard rumblings like you all have, but I'm not able to say for sure.

Andy didn't wanna because razorback. That I know.
there is a lot of truth to the Pagnozzi/Van Horn dispute about pitching.  There was a bit blowup several years ago after one of our left handed pitchers threw a ton of pitches either in a game or maybe over a couple of games.  Might have been during SEC tournament, regional or some such.  I don't remember the details.  But a guy in Fort Smith who was close to Pagnozzi said that event was the end of the relationship.

Maddhog

Charlie Boyce was the pitcher and he did pitch twice in a regional against Wichita State.   Charlie was a decent pitcher but not a pro prospect.  We had lost the first game of the regional so we had to play five games in 4 days and, with the pitching staff we had at the time, Charlie was called upon to pitch the final game. He was more than willing and he won the game for us. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Maddhog on February 23, 2017, 11:01:33 am
Charlie Boyce was the pitcher and he did pitch twice in a regional against Wichita State.   Charlie was a decent pitcher but not a pro prospect.  We had lost the first game of the regional so we had to play five games in 4 days and, with the pitching staff we had at the time, Charlie was called upon to pitch the final game. He was more than willing and he won the game for us.
Never questioned whether Boyce was willing.  Or even able for that matter.  The situation didn't sit well with Pagnozzi.  And he wasn't shy about it.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Maddhog on February 23, 2017, 11:01:33 am

2004 Regional in Fayetteville.  Lost the winners bracket game SAT with Boyce throwing 99 pitches.  Had to play a losers bracket game that night and then beat Wichita St. twice on SUN (so we actually played 5 games in three days!).  Boyce relieved early in the last game and threw 104 pitches, throwing 203 pitches over two days!

Wichita St. coach said post game he would never run his program like that. It came out later that Pagnozzi was not very happy about it, either.  Pags was a volunteer coach at the time, and also coached first base.

Porked Tongue

Maddhog

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on February 23, 2017, 05:02:58 pm
2004 Regional in Fayetteville.  Lost the winners bracket game SAT with Boyce throwing 99 pitches.  Had to play a losers bracket game that night and then beat Wichita St. twice on SUN (so we actually played 5 games in three days!).  Boyce relieved early in the last game and threw 104 pitches, throwing 203 pitches over two days!

Wichita St. coach said post game he would never run his program like that. It came out later that Pagnozzi was not very happy about it, either.  Pags was a volunteer coach at the time, and also coached first base.

Thanks for the details.   I know Arkansas fans were not fond of Gene after that. 😄

futurehogdad

Quote from: Maddhog on February 23, 2017, 08:13:34 pm
Thanks for the details.   I know Arkansas fans were not fond of Gene after that. 😄

Arkansas fans were not fond of Gene before the comments either.

hound

Ask coach Butler how Gene ran his program.

WhenPigsFly

woodrow hog call

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on February 23, 2017, 05:02:58 pm

If you need any AC work done and you ask the coaches who they recommend, they will tell you to call the company that Charlie runs/owns, because he has taken good care of them, no hard feelings by anyone inside the program over that whole thing. So that SHOULD BE the end of the story. I would like to see this thread go away personally, water under the bridge.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 23, 2017, 06:18:36 pm
Couldn't get in here.

Could there.
If that's true that is pretty bad. Automatic acceptance for an instate student isn't very high. I want to say when I applied it was maybe a 22 ACT and 2.5 GPA.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"