Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you believe now?

Started by Letsroll1200, February 15, 2017, 07:43:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on February 16, 2017, 09:05:17 am
Why should we be a tournament lock? What part of our team coming in to the season made us a lock? I felt we could make it, hoped we could make it. But we were far from a lock. The only "lock" was that Long was going to feel some very very extreme heat if CMA didn't make the tourney to fire him. That's about the only "lock" going into the season.

We should be based on how we have played up until about the Oklahoma State game.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:00:13 am
There has been plenty of reason to have a conversation about replacing him. There is a definitely a competitive pros vs cons list with Anderson for his time at Arkansas. If he can get the team in the tournament this year and not collapse, he'll get a lot of people off his back and then the conversation will be over for awhile (hopefully forever). But we're no tournament lock and we should be, so naturally the conversation is fair.

I think this is a fair statement except for the lock part. We were picked something like 5th in the SEC during pre season. 5th in the SEC hasn't been a lock for many years now.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on February 16, 2017, 09:03:30 am
I'll be the first to admit I wasn't able to watch any of these two games due to coaching my own team into the playoffs. BUT, I did watch the Minny game and the OSU. Everyone wants to blame CMA for both of those losses, but our buys just flat out didn't play. Against both of those teams we turned it over, didn't shoot well, and just didn't have the engagement on defense. Not saying that Anderson isn't to blame at all for any of those. I have made my displeasure clear about our defense and his role in that. But for us to act like it's all on Anderson is a bit amusing. We still aren't where we need to be players wise, but losing to Vandy and Mizzou screams more to me about our youth than anything. Whether it's freshman or first year JUCO's you are going ot have games that you should win but you lose bc they look at the name on the front and don't come with the right focus.

Hell it's happened to me as a coach at the high school level. You try to do everything to keep it from happening but sometimes there's not a thing you can do.

FYI, Anderson himself said he did not have the players prepared in those losses. So, I'm going off that. I get what you are saying and I know he isn't responsible for everything they do, but again, if we're to believe the man is a good coach, we need to see good coaching and we have not many times during his tenure. You aren't going to talk me out of that. That's all I'm saying. If you want to start a discussion about the players, we can do that. But I'm going to go into all my gripes about them when I'm just talking about Anderson.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:06:40 am
No disagreement. But we're in Year 6, so fans were universally expecting to be in the NCAA tournament. Being that that has been in doubt this late in the season, the conversation about moving on is fair, IMO. I'm a little more objective than you are, though.
I agree, moving on from CMA is fair, but I do think there's reason to keep him and yes it has to do with recruiting. I feel that if we could get the '18 class here, we could be much more enticing

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:10:18 am
FYI, Anderson himself said he did not have the players prepared in those losses. So, I'm going off that. I get what you are saying and I know he isn't responsible for everything they do, but again, if we're to believe the man is a good coach, we need to see good coaching and we have not many times during his tenure. You aren't going to talk me out of that. That's all I'm saying. If you want to start a discussion about the players, we can do that. But I'm going to go into all my gripes about them when I'm just talking about Anderson.
That's fine, I wouldn't expect a coach to say differently. I'm also not saying Anderson is the best coach I've ever met. But I do think a lot of the blame is not justified. But that's me.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 16, 2017, 09:08:31 am
I think this is a fair statement except for the lock part. We were picked something like 5th in the SEC during pre season. 5th in the SEC hasn't been a lock for many years now.

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:07:59 am
We should be based on how we have played up until about the Oklahoma State game.

We were a strong 8/9 seed less than a month ago before those bewildering losses. We largely controlled our own destiny and we gave back that control in frustrating fashion. We were playing up to what everyone expected in Year 6. Whether or not we were a media-projected "lock," the universal expectation among the fanbase was that we should be able to make the tournament this year. No?

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2017, 07:43:12 pm
Mike is getting all he can out of this team. This best thing that happened to the hogs was going on the road. Moses was Moses Kingsley tonight and Dusty was amazing. The hogs fifth road win you saw a team that played together tonight. Believe me Mike will turn this program into a winning program. Big Wwin!!

I believe Mike is getting all he can out of this team, and that is the problem, in year 6 he put a team together capable of going on the road and winning a bunch of sec games, but still loses multiple home games, and LOST AT MIZZU. Year 6 he has a bubble team. That has been the issue all along.

A team talented enough to go win 5 SEC road games should not be on the bubble. They should not have lost at MIZZU or lost to Vandy and MSU at home.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

King Kong

I believe the same thing as before MA is good but not great coach. If he doesn't make the tournament he should fired.

If he makes the tournament I'm fine with him keeping his job and recruiting wise things appear to be heading in a positive direction

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on February 16, 2017, 09:11:00 am
I agree, moving on from CMA is fair, but I do think there's reason to keep him and yes it has to do with recruiting. I feel that if we could get the '18 class here, we could be much more enticing

If he can go on a run here and display improved coaching, I'd be thrilled to have him back. It's about the coaching with me. If I believe in his coaching, I'll be able to swallow the bad losses that sometimes happen because I'll have confidence that things will be better the next game. That trust has been absent too much for me over the last 6 years. There have been too many ups and downs. All kinds of reasons have been posted to explain that away (and reasons to explain why it will never change). I'm just tired of it. That's why it comes down to his coaching at this point. His recruiting has improved and, honestly, I haven't criticized his recruiting in a long time. I was pretty fair to him while he was putting together the 2016 class when many were very unhappy that we were missing on so many targets. I thought it was a strong class considering. And it's just gotten better since then. But can he coach them to the heights their talents suggest? That's where I'm at. The last 3 halves have been very good and encouraging. Ole Miss looks like a classic letdown game, so a win there will be huge. Maybe even as important as the win last night.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 09:14:25 am
I believe Mike is getting all he can out of this team, and that is the problem, in year 6 he put a team together capable of going on the road and winning a bunch of sec games, but still loses multiple home games, and LOST AT MIZZU. Year 6 he has a bubble team. That has been the issue all along.

A team talented enough to go win 5 SEC road games should not be on the bubble. They should not have lost at MIZZU or lost to Vandy and MSU at home.

And yet they are still projected to make the tournament!!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:13:08 am
We were a strong 8/9 seed less than a month ago before those bewildering losses. We largely controlled our own destiny and we gave back that control in frustrating fashion. We were playing up to what everyone expected in Year 6. Whether or not we were a media-projected "lock," the universal expectation among the fanbase was that we should be able to make the tournament this year. No?

And we are still in the field as of today.

When we were at the 8/9 spot the belief here was that if we didn't win either Fla or SC and won all the rest that we would be on the bubble and possibly not even make the field.

You know I like MA, but at no point this season have I felt like this was solid in the tournament. I like how they have played at times, but have always believed they were a 50/50 team, not a lock.

Pork Twain

February 16, 2017, 09:45:49 am #161 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:04:10 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 16, 2017, 08:57:32 am
You just lost the debate the second you resorted soley to personal attacks.
You know it and I completely believe you guys are correct.  Having more seasons not making the Big Dance, than making it and struggling to make it year six have me all in.  You have changed my way of thinking.  Mark that up as another win for MA.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 09:14:25 am

So you believe that a team whose rotation includes 5 guys in their first season of play has been at their peak this season?

Did I miss all the nights where Macon, Hannahs, Barford, and Moses were hot at the same time?

I think you just don't like MA and want the Hogs to fail. Your assertions are far fetched for a team with that many new players, non of which are McDAAs

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 16, 2017, 09:44:22 am
And we are still in the field as of today.

When we were at the 8/9 spot the belief here was that if we didn't win either Fla or SC and won all the rest that we would be on the bubble and possibly not even make the field.

You know I like MA, but at no point this season have I felt like this was solid in the tournament. I like how they have played at times, but have always believed they were a 50/50 team, not a lock.

"Lock" was perhaps not the best term to use. But we should be a tournament team (and we are currently projected to be). I guess what I was trying to say was that we should have been more on the right side of the bubble than we were. We'd probably be flirting with a 7 seed if we had handled business against Missouri and Vanderbilt and still beaten LSU and South Carolina. Those two losses did a lot of damage (when combined with the Mississippi State loss from earlier which I was not terribly upset about at the time).

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:55:08 am
"Lock" was perhaps not the best term to use. But we should be a tournament team (and we are currently projected to be). I guess what I was trying to say was that we should have been more on the right side of the bubble than we were. We'd probably be flirting with a 7 seed if we had handled business against Missouri and Vanderbilt and still beaten LSU and South Carolina. Those two losses did a lot of damage (when combined with the Mississippi State loss from earlier which I was not terribly upset about at the time).

Makes sense to me. I agree we should be on the other side of the bubble based on the work this team had put in prior to losing to Mizzou and Vandy. If we had taken care of business there, we might legitimately be able to call ourselves a lock this morning.

HogInThaGrove

Winning this game won't fix our bad rotations on defense, or our lack of fundamentals in rebounding, screening, spacing, or anything else. 

All this win does is let us exhale for a moment until the inexplicable happens again, when we lose to a team that hasn't won in 2 months, or go in down at halftime to a team that hasn't been up at half in over a month like LSU.  We have come back in almost every game, which indicates that we are inconsistent in effort, intensity, and focus...and that is on both the players and the coach. 

Said it before and I will again; I like Mike.  He's a good man.  But I believe he's an adequate coach at best. I never want the Hogs to lose, and if they win every game looking as fundamentally lacking as we do now, that's fine, and I would be more than ok with Mike staying for years to come, but I don't believe that will be the case.  But in any case, go Hogs.  Beat Ole Piss.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 16, 2017, 09:47:52 am
So you believe that a team whose rotation includes 5 guys in their first season of play has been at their peak this season?

Did I miss all the nights where Macon, Hannahs, Barford, and Moses were hot at the same time?

I think you just don't like MA and want the Hogs to fail. Your assertions are far fetched for a team with that many new players, non of which are McDAAs

If that's the case, then Mike, or any other coach is ALWAYS going to have the excuse of having new players. Next year the Hogs have to replace Moses, Dusty, & Manny. So there will be at least 3 new guys in the rotation. The year after that it will be 4 new players. So you will always be able to excuse away things because of new players.

I do not think Mike is ever going ot be more than a consistent bubble team. Sure there will be the occasional season like 14/15, but most are going to be like this one.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on February 16, 2017, 10:01:30 am
Winning this game won't fix our bad rotations on defense, or our lack of fundamentals in rebounding, screening, spacing, or anything else. 

All this win does is let us exhale for a moment until the inexplicable happens again, when we lose to a team that hasn't won in 2 months, or go in down at halftime to a team that hasn't been up at half in over a month like LSU.  We have come back in almost every game, which indicates that we are inconsistent in effort, intensity, and focus...and that is on both the players and the coach. 

Said it before and I will again; I like Mike.  He's a good man.  But I believe he's an adequate coach at best. I never want the Hogs to lose, and if they win every game looking as fundamentally lacking as we do now, that's fine, and I would be more than ok with Mike staying for years to come, but I don't believe that will be the case.  But in any case, go Hogs.  Beat Ole Piss.

Good post.

userpick

What's really sad is our expectations are just to make the tournament. If we go one and done, will he get 5 more years? If you were 100% "fire Mike" last week and one game changes your opinion, you really shouldn't post.

Hawg Red

Quote from: userpick on February 16, 2017, 10:07:46 am
What's really sad is our expectations are just to make the tournament. If we go one and done, will he get 5 more years? If you were 100% "fire Mike" last week and one game changes your opinion, you really shouldn't post.

I would say that is the expectation for many for this season, maybe even for the next two seasons. Now, I think everyone understands that it's all about matchups when you get to the NCAA tournament, so expectations could change when the bracket comes out. In the next couple of years, we should be expected to move beyond the first weekend more often.

hogsanity

Quote from: userpick on February 16, 2017, 10:07:46 am

My opinion has not changed, but the reality is if they just make the ncaat he is not going anywhere.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: azhog10 on February 15, 2017, 11:43:31 pm
Sure hope he goes to the 1-1-3 and matchup zone more. Our man defense is horrid, but we are much more engaged defensively in our zone. Good game, but our defensive struggles are mostly on Anderson. The inability to pull away is on the players. Beard, Barford, and Macon have to be better down the stretch handling the ball. That's not on Anderson.

I think this is the key.  A big complaint by many was the lack of success with the man to man switching and having Kingsley out of position and players going right by our defenders. Switching to a zone (people acted like the players couldn't switch to something they weren't taught)  how hard is it really to play a zone?  these players didn't just pick up playing basketball under Mike anderson.  I think the change plus a great first half of play by Barford. Great team effort in the second half. Effort and confidence really showed.  Hope we continue to see the players play together.

revolution

Mike is getting all he can out of this team. This best thing that happened to the hogs was going on the road. Moses was Moses Kingsley tonight and Dusty was amazing. The hogs fifth road win you saw a team that played together tonight. Believe me Mike will turn this program into a winning program. Big Wwin!!

I Believe!

realistichog

BassinHawg

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 15, 2017, 07:58:21 pm
Literally nobody has ever asked you for your opinion of Mike Anderson.

You are wrong, there have been numerous threads asking everyone on here what they thought about CMA.

Try again!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Pork Twain

Quote from: BassinHawg on February 16, 2017, 10:23:06 am
You are wrong, there have been numerous threads asking everyone on here what they thought about CMA.

Try again!
BassinHawg, what is your opinion of MA, the coach?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

lutherheggs

Yes, I believe until the Hogs lose to Ole Miss on Saturday.

GuvHog

A Head Coach has to earn his keep and IMO Mike had not done much this season to help his cause........until last night. I agree with Pat Bradley when he said that was a massive win for the Hogs. If they can hold serve at home and win another road game (Auburn), NCAA selection Sunday should be fun for a change. A win at Florida on top of all that would be icing on the cake and should improve their NCAA seeding.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pork Twain

With a good hire, the recruits will still come.  Even Stan and Pel were able to pull in a few top recruits.

J-Five

Good win last night...Mike Anderson coached well and the players played tough the whole game.  On to Ole Miss....
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on February 16, 2017, 10:01:30 am

Listen to Frank and tell me that Mike is the only coach in America that has the consistent effort problem at times. Tell me it's Franks fault they loss last night. We played better than they did last night and that's it. Who know what would happen if we played them again. It's human nature to look at some teams and take them for granted or let your guard down. Especially for 18-23 year olds. And the results usually aren't good.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/WATCH-Martin-players-discuss-second-straight-home-defeat-51317735?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170215_215956_Arkansas%20Razorbacks&utm_content=Image
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 1highhog on February 16, 2017, 05:38:19 am
Enjoy the short lived excitement, but Mike is not going to turn Arkansas into anything other than what he's done the last years under his tenure.  You guys will never learn.  As I've stated into I'm Hog red in the face, love Mike the man, hate Mike the coach.  He needs to go before our basketball program ever amounts to anything.
Be gone!!

code red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 08:20:17 pm
Be gone troll!!!
Not a troll a realist.  Mikes style doesn't work.  Is zoning up Mikes style?  Funny how he has started playing zone????  Huh.  It will be more of the same...stay tuned.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 16, 2017, 05:43:06 am
Posts like this are pointless, for the same reason it would be pointless for me to start a new post after each embarrassing loss.  One game does not a coach make.  I love how we played last night and if we performed that well against teams we are clearly better than, I would never have a complaint, but we don't and that is on the coach, not the players.

There is no way that the team we saw last night should have lost at home to Miss St, blown out at Ok St, lost to a terrible Mizzou team and blown out at home by Vandy.  It is the coach's responsibility to ensure they are prepared and ready for each and every game.
I'm guessing South Carolina loss because of Frank too? Listen to his presser and listen closely. Newsflash, players can be held accountable for some things. Everything is not a coach blame.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/WATCH-Martin-players-discuss-second-straight-home-defeat-51317735?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170215_215956_Arkansas%20Razorbacks&utm_content=Image

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 16, 2017, 11:29:13 am
I'm guessing South Carolina loss because of Frank too? Listen to his presser and listen closely. Newsflash, players can be held accountable for some things. Everything is not a coach blame.

I look at Mike's tenure in total, and I still see them losing games the same way in yr 6 as in yr one. As for this year Mike pretty much said he did not have them ready for Okie St, and made some of the same type comments after Mizzu.

Whats bad about this season is that a team that wins 5 ( maybe ends up being more ) conf games on the road in a p5 league, should not be sitting as a projected 10 seed, where another bad loss could knock them out of the ncaat. A team with those wins should be playing for a 5 or 6 seed at worst. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 11:36:04 am
I look at Mike's tenure in total, and I still see them losing games the same way in yr 6 as in yr one. As for this year Mike pretty much said he did not have them ready for Okie St, and made some of the same type comments after Mizzu.   

This is where I stand.  I am not seeing the changes that give me confidence that things will improve overall, not just a hot shooting game here and there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 16, 2017, 08:13:37 am
Even then you are cherry picking his numbers to make him look better.
And you constantly cherry pick his numbers to make him look worse. It works both ways. He wins 63% of his overall games and 55% of his conference games at Arkansas. That's even counting the first two rebuilding years. His last four years he has won at a 60% conference rate. Not to mention we win on the road now something we hardly ever have done. Yet you somehow make him look like the worse coach in America. Please explain...

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 16, 2017, 11:21:06 am
Listen to Frank and tell me that Mike is the only coach in America that has the consistent effort problem at times. Tell me it's Franks fault they loss last night. We played better than they did last night and that's it. Who know what would happen if we played them again. It's human nature to look at some teams and take them for granted or let your guard down. Especially for 18-23 year olds. And the results usually aren't good.

Don't care about Frank.  I care about Mike & the Hogs.  And Mike has been having most of these issues for 6 years here and more at Mizzou, etc...  His teams are poor rebounders and have poor fundamentals.  He prefers and plays an uptempo "street" style game.  So poor fundamentals are accepted by him.  Teams that are consistent and execute will always beat us.  We will win the occasional game we shouldn't when we match up well against someone that is ranked, etc.., but more often than not we will continue to be inconsistent. 

No, Frank isn't the only coach to have trouble with getting max effort out of kids, but unlike Mike, when other coaches get that from their kids, they don't accept it.  For example, and I HATE saying this, but the other day Kentucky won but not by much...Cal wasn't happy with their defensive effort, so what did he do? He practiced them for 3 hours the next day with 90% being defensive based.  Said nobody puked but they were close. 

Mike needs to make some of these kids puke if they aren't giving max effort.  Nolan would run them around the concourse at BWA till they puked.  Up the hill.  Etc...  Mike makes excuses for them.  He doesn't have Nolan's fire.  Kids aren't scared of him.  Therefore they will get away with poor effort.  And they know that Mike's seat is a little warm and he needs them to win, that gives them leverage, and trust me, they will use it to their advantage... kids are kids.  It's Mike's job to get the most out of them at all times and he's paid very handsomely for it.  If he's not up to the challenge, then move along.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 16, 2017, 08:30:24 am
Are we going to act like that mess his first year, was all on him?  MA walked into a solid roster and a top recruiting class, not so for BB and then there were the recruiting failures from the previous three years as well.
MA walked into a roster coming off a 18-13, 7-9 conference team with 4 incoming freshmen that were considered his best players. Is that not starting over? I mean Julysses Nobles was our starting PG and Michael Sanchez was our starting center when Mike took over. And who the hell is Marvell Waithe?! I mean come on man!... ::). Solid roster?! Please...

Returning players in 2011:
PG- Julysses Nobles- So
SG- Mardracus Wade- So
SF- Marvell Waithe- Sr
PF- Marshawn Powell- Jr
C- Michael Sanchez- Sr
PG- Kikko Haydar- So
CG- Rickey Scott- So

Incoming Freshmen in 2011:
CG- B.J. Young
CG- Rashad Madden
PF- Devonta Abron
PF- Hunter Mickelson

Would you call that a solid returning roster? Not exactly world beaters huh? The best player by far was Marshawn Powell. Out of the returning starters that is. Were the incoming freshmen supposed to come in and be the Fantastic 4 or something? Help me out here. I just don't get it. Bret gets a pass for his first few years but Mike doesn't... ???. You fell to realize home much rebuilding Mike really had to do.

The only players on that entire roster that might get some playing time on today's team is B.J. Young, Rashad Madden, Marshawn Powell and maybe Hunter Mickelson because he was pretty versatile big man that couldn't even touch the floor for Kansas. Marshawn no doubt would help Moses out big time on today's roster playing the 4. B.J. and Rashad would probably play before Watkins but that's probably it.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 16, 2017, 08:43:42 am
Our frontcourt was Marvell waiter and Michael Sanchez. Yea that was a solid roster.
LOL...that's exactly what I said. That had to be a joke... :-\

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 16, 2017, 08:47:55 am
Care to include any other players that were on the roster when he became the coach or is this the tactic you are going with?  Note, if you have to pick and choose what you include, your information lacks integrity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Arkansas_Razorbacks_men%27s_basketball_team
I'm guessing the incoming freshmen were supposed to save the day his first year? It's hare for a 1st year freshman and a first year JUCO to come in as perform like they did in high school. Takes some time to adjust to the college game. Some longer than others.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 16, 2017, 12:03:01 pm
And you constantly cherry pick his numbers to make him look worse. It works both ways. He wins 63% of his overall games and 55% of his conference games at Arkansas. That's even counting the first two rebuilding years. His last four years he has won at a 60% conference rate. Not to mention we win on the road now something we hardly ever have done. Yet you somehow make him look like the worse coach in America. Please explain...
Talk is cheap, show me where I cherry pick anything.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 16, 2017, 12:55:01 pm
I'm guessing the incoming freshmen were supposed to save the day his first year? It's hare for a 1st year freshman and a first year JUCO to come in as perform like they did in high school. Takes some time to adjust to the college game. Some longer than others.
There are several players not on your list that either decided to transfer or not remain committed here.  Those still count...

Marshawn Powell,  Rotnei Clarke , Glenn Bryant, Marvell Waithe, Michael Sanchez and Mardracus Wade were a solid, but not great foundation for him to build on and B.J. Young, Rashad Madden, Hunter Mickelson and Devonta Abron is a class we were all excited about.  NOBODY complained about this class when it was signed.  Were they overrated or inadequately developed?  Likely a combo of both.

2011 class #7 overall, gave us B.J. Young, Rashad Madden, Hunter Mickelson, and Devonta Abron
http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

2010 was crap and only gave us Rickey Scott

2009 class #31 overall, gave us Marshawn Powell and Glenn Bryant
http://247sports.com/Season/2009-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

2008 class #21 overall, gave us Rotnei Clarke
http://247sports.com/Season/2008-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

yocdaddy

South Carolina is ranked #139 in offensive efficiency.  Although I am pleased the HOGS won, I'm not sold on us being a lock.  We could still lose to Ole Miss, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia.  We must get to 23 wins to be a lock on Selection Sunday.

"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Pork Twain

Quote from: yocdaddy on February 16, 2017, 01:07:36 pm
South Carolina is ranked #139 in offensive efficiency.  Although I am pleased the HOGS won, I'm not sold on us being a lock.  We could still lose to Ole Miss, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia.  We must get to 23 wins to be a lock on Selection Sunday.

I think we can do it but I might not have any nails left by then

Youngsta71701

February 16, 2017, 01:13:13 pm #195 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:12:22 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 09:00:13 am
There has been plenty of reason to have a conversation about replacing him. There is a definitely a competitive pros vs cons list with Anderson for his time at Arkansas. If he can get the team in the tournament this year and not collapse, he'll get a lot of people off his back and then the conversation will be over for awhile (hopefully forever). But we're no tournament lock and we should be, so naturally the conversation is fair.
Question: What did you expect our record to be at this point before the season started? I expected us to be 20-6 at this point and we are one game off pace. Didn't get there exactly the way I expected us to but nevertheless we are there.

I expected road losses to Minnesota, Texas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State. I picked us to win all of our home games including Florida, which was picking with my heart and not my mind.

Spektre

No. I believe that this shows what we should have been doing and have been capable of doing all year. It probably just bought Anderson next year unless they lay an egg the rest of the way. The talent has been there to do this. When it got to the last 5 minutes of the game and SC upped their defensive intensity, they looked panicky and sloppy... where a coach normally steps in. Instead, they got bailed out by a Watkins prayer and one of SC's best players making one of the dumbest fouls in the history of basketball.

Occasional big wins or great play is not the problem. It's the inconsistencies, typically terrible defense, and horrible losses. I'm happy they got a good win last night, but it doesn't immediately give me any extra faith for what's coming. Why should it? We had a good road win at Tennesee before the train wreck. Just cheering on the Razorbacks game by game without expectation... wishing they would either tank or win like crazy to see some actual change.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 08:46:09 am
The only thing that is going to get me to BELIEVE in Mike Anderson is him showing me that he is going to COACH better than he has in his time here CONSISTENTLY. Mike has been better than any coach we've had since Nolan in many areas, but I'm hesitant to put too much stock into the W/L improvements because the SEC has become gradually weaker since Nolan was fired.
Only three teams in the SEC has won the national championship in basketball. And those teams are Kentucky, Florida, and Arkansas. That's including Nolan's time. I guess the SEC was pretty weak back then also. Oh, wait. Nolan had to deal with Kentucky back then also. In today's SEC Mike has to deal with Kentucky, Florida, and South Carolina. Including all of the other SEC schools that have plenty of NBA talent that just haven't figured out how to play as a team. Stop trying to make Mike's job seem easier than it really is. I heard the commentators last night say people take for granted just how hard it is to win a game.

Pork Twain

The similarities between Hootie and Mikey are spooky.  Hopefully he can continue to do just enough to keep his job for the next 3-5 years.  Always one player away or one hole too many to fill, but always next year...

Pork Twain

February 16, 2017, 01:22:04 pm #199 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:44:06 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 16, 2017, 01:17:49 pm
Only three teams in the SEC has won the national championship in basketball. And those teams are Kentucky, Florida, and Arkansas. That's including Nolan's time. I guess the SEC was pretty weak back then also. Oh, wait. Nolan had to deal with Kentucky back then also. In today's SEC Mike has to deal with Kentucky, Florida, and South Carolina. Including all of the other SEC schools that have plenty of NBA talent that just haven't figured out how to play as a team. Stop trying to make Mike's job seem easier than it really is. I heard the commentators last night say people take for granted just how hard it is to win a game.
Well...since you brought it up.  Careful though, my antagonist does not like the bringing up of ancient history.

NCAA invites by year and total number of SEC teams that had 20+ wins vs those with less than 15 for a relative gauge on conference competition.