Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Returning starters

Started by redleg, February 10, 2017, 12:10:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Using depth charts from the end of the 2016 season, and a list of underclassmen leaving early, this is a list of Arkansas' nine major opponents for the 2017 season and how many starters each team lost (not counting transfers and dismissals). It's just food for thought for further evaluation of how we think the Hogs may do in 2017. Take it for what you will. None of these lists will take into consideration former starters or major contributors for last season...just the starters listed at the end of the year.

First and foremost...Arkansas is losing 3 starters on offense (Skipper, Hatcher, and Morgan), and 5 starters on defense (Johnson, Ledbetter, Winston, Ellis, and Collins).

Alabama - losing 4 on offense, 7 on defense, 1 special team.
Auburn - losing 3 on off, 4 on def, 2 ST
Ole Miss - losing 4 off, 6 def, 1 ST
Miss St - losing 5 off, 7 def, 2 ST
LSU - losing 6 off, 6 def, 2 ST
Texas A&M - losing 7 off, 4 def, 1 ST
Missouri - losing 1 off, 5 def, 1 ST
South Carolina - losing 1 off, 4 def, 2 ST
TCU - losing 1 off, 4 def, 0 ST

It is what it is, but I find it interesting at the very least.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hawginbigd1

And our defense will be much improved, book it, and it would be without a scheme change. take that however you want.

colbs

Thanks!  A couple notes on each:

Bama- I think we have figured out no matter how many players they lose there won't be any drop off.

Auburn-They looked pretty good next year and may get an upgrade at QB.  Malzahn may pull himself off the hot seat.

MS schools-Both lose a lot considering neither finished with a winning record.  Both have good young QBs. 
A&M-If Arkansas is ever going to beat them then 2017 has to be the year right?  They lose a lot and won't have a proven QB.

Missouri-No doubt they will be better but hopefully Arkansas will as well and come to play for 4 quarters.

Scar- I think this game will be tougher than most think and it's on the road.

TCU-They will be better than last year.  Hopefully the defense improves or this one may not like we hope.

hobhog

I think next year will be fun. Especially in skill positions.

Punter will be little worrisome, but thnk defense will be much improved and offense will be prolific with most everyone back on line and in backfield.

Hammonds needs more touches.

Tejano Jawg

This is interesting to ponder, especially since I'm not really thinking about basketball any more.

However, these lists have deceived me before. By now (as Colbs mentioned above), we know to not get fooled when Alabama loses 2-thirds of their starters. We've been living this farce for nearly 2 decades.

The A&M Aggie thing bothers me most. First, because there's no team I'd rather beat. But every year they will have several stars depart for the League—could be linemen or receivers or QB—and things will look bleak for them. Then you add in numerous off-season troubles....and Sumlin starts every season on the hot seat.

But they find a way to peak against us. Last season we made a very average Trevor Knight look like a Heisman candidate because we were so thoroughly whipped on the line (actually, both sides). They'll lose a couple WRs, their 2 DEs, some assorted linemen, and their QB for next season. What does that mean? We play them the 4th week, with the oddly-placed bye the week before. We'll see.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Al Boarland

Thanks for putting that together, OP. Looking at your analysis I think CBB can get this team up to 7/8 wins and a solid bowl opponent.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: colbs on February 10, 2017, 12:31:04 pm
TCU-They will be better than last year.  Hopefully the defense improves or this one may not like we hope.

Will they be better at QB?

EFBAB

Hogdomer

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 10, 2017, 02:23:09 pm
Will they be better at QB?

EFBAB

They will most likely have the same guy, Kenny Hill.  They have a highly regarded freshman QB who enrolled at semester who their message board guys would rather start but I doubt the coaches will put him in by week 2.

redleg

For sure this list cannot apply to Alabama. With several number one recruiting classes on campus at the same time, they are loaded every year. The guy that comes after Saban, once Nick finally retires, will be good for at least his first three or four seasons.
Auburn is a bit worrisome to me, mostly because their offense returns those stud RB's. I don't think their D will be much better, though.
LSU will be tough to beat because the game is in BR.
2017 is the year Arkansas finally beats A&M again. In fact, I say Sumlin is gone after this year, either on his own or by firing.
Miss St offense will be pretty good, but they have no RB, and they lost their best receivers. Their defense will struggle.
Ole Miss will struggle on D as well. The Rebs also have no quality RB's, which makes their offense one-dimensional.
Missouri will be slightly better, but it won't matter vs Arkansas. I see the Hogs coming into that game with hate in their hearts and blood in their eyes. Hopefully it will be the Razorbacks slaughtering the Tiggers.
SC will be good, and their D will play hard, but they are lacking on talent on that side of the ball. They will be beatable.
TCU will have a solid offense, and Kenny Hill will probably put up some big numbers in 2017. But their D will not be as good. Arkansas should beat them without OT's.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 10, 2017, 01:38:11 pm
This is interesting to ponder, especially since I'm not really thinking about basketball any more.

However, these lists have deceived me before. By now (as Colbs mentioned above), we know to not get fooled when Alabama loses 2-thirds of their starters. We've been living this farce for nearly 2 decades.

The A&M Aggie thing bothers me most. First, because there's no team I'd rather beat. But every year they will have several stars depart for the League—could be linemen or receivers or QB—and things will look bleak for them. Then you add in numerous off-season troubles....and Sumlin starts every season on the hot seat.

But they find a way to peak against us. Last season we made a very average Trevor Knight look like a Heisman candidate because we were so thoroughly whipped on the line (actually, both sides). They'll lose a couple WRs, their 2 DEs, some assorted linemen, and their QB for next season. What does that mean? We play them the 4th week, with the oddly-placed bye the week before. We'll see.

Bama,  aTm, LSU, and MS all taking taking significant hits numbers wise. Still, they all manage to reload as if nothing happened.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hobhog

Quote from: colbs on February 10, 2017, 12:31:04 pm
Thanks!  A couple notes on each:

Bama- I think we have figured out no matter how many players they lose there won't be any drop off.

Auburn-They looked pretty good next year and may get an upgrade at QB.  Malzahn may pull himself off the hot seat.

MS schools-Both lose a lot considering neither finished with a winning record.  Both have good young QBs. 
A&M-If Arkansas is ever going to beat them then 2017 has to be the year right?  They lose a lot and won't have a proven QB.

Missouri-No doubt they will be better but hopefully Arkansas will as well and come to play for 4 quarters.

Scar- I think this game will be tougher than most think and it's on the road.

I think we are in good shape for a breakout season. Bama, AU and LSU will be tough as always but others are very doable. TCUs defense has suffered ever since Dick Bumpass retired.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hobhog on February 16, 2017, 03:04:33 pm
I think we are in good shape for a breakout season. Bama, AU and LSU will be tough as always but others are very doable. TCUs defense has suffered ever since Dick Bumpass retired.

Yes Losing Coach Bumpass has really hurt TCU even though Patterson made his chops as being a defensive minded coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hobhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 16, 2017, 03:40:02 pm
Yes Losing Coach Bumpass has really hurt TCU even though Patterson made his chops as being a defensive minded coach.

Bumpas was a damn good DC. He made a difference apparently. They also will start new QB.

Still tough game. Looking forward to it.

southeasthog

Quote from: hobhog on February 16, 2017, 04:03:28 pm
Bumpas was a damn good DC. He made a difference apparently. They also will start new QB.

Still tough game. Looking forward to it.
Did Hill declare for the draft or something. I looked and didn't find anything.

Pork Twain

February 17, 2017, 06:34:44 am #14 Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:35:29 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: southeasthog on February 17, 2017, 06:13:25 am
Did Hill declare for the draft or something. I looked and didn't find anything.
Don't think so and he had two years to play two.

After looking at names and several sources of info for so long they start to blend together.  Let me know if you see any mistakes and I will correct them
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/