Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Video on the Size of Linemen

Started by Oklahawg, February 08, 2017, 08:45:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/4/14500454/super-bowl-linemen-huge

Interesting, short, video on factors contributing to the growth in size of NFL linemen.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tarheelhawg

Interesting thanks for posting.  I recall talking to Coach John Stucky (may he RIP) during an Arkansas Football camp when a good sized lineman was 260 lbs... Coach Hatfield had a great NG that weighed about 235 lbs. 

Tarheelhawg

Tony Cherico ! My memory just responded. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on February 08, 2017, 10:01:58 pm
Tony Cherico ! My memory just responded. 

Cherico was small even for his era but he had the Bua/Olajabutu meanness that allowed him to play bigger than he was.  He was the prototypical "size of the fight in the dog" kind of guy.

Tarheelhawg

Yeah, Cherico gave me hope!  Coach Holtz and Hatfield made it easy to be a Razorback !

SamBuckhart

February 09, 2017, 08:08:24 pm #5 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:22:45 pm by SamBuckhart
The largest player on our state championship team , early 70's,  weighed 220.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SamBuckhart on February 09, 2017, 08:08:24 pm
The largest player on our state championship team , early 70's,  weighed 220.

1970-Mike Fanning, Tulsa Edison HS, 6-6, 260
Notre Dame-All American in 1974
1975-1st Round, 9th Pick
LA Rams
Detroit Lions
Seattle Seahawks

He was a giant as a HS player at that time.
Go Hogs Go!

Razorbackers

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 08, 2017, 08:45:22 pm
http://www.vox.com/2017/2/4/14500454/super-bowl-linemen-huge

Interesting, short, video on factors contributing to the growth in size of NFL linemen.

Man, Vox makes some cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Hoggish1

Hoot72

Several years ago, I went by myself to a spring Red-White game (I believe it was the early Petrino years).  Wasn't anyone around me, and Ken Hatfield came in and set down about 3 rows in front of me.  As the stands filled up, quite an assortment of people gathered around Coach Hatfield, including Senator John Bozeman.  I will never forget Bozeman turning and looking at Hatfield and asking, "Coach, when did they get so big?"  Hatfield said "When they quit having to block."  He went on to explain that in the late '60's and '70's lineman could not extend their arms, and now they can extend their arms and their is not as big a premium on being quick and agile, with good footwork.  I have a good friend, that played with Bozeman, that made some All-American teams, that was listed at 6'3", 230.  He will tell you that he played most of the year under 220, and he has often told me that when you had to pull on every play you had to be smaller.  I have always thought Coach Hatfield answered the question perfectly.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 08:19:41 am
Man, Vox makes some cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Indeed, a really nice site.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hoot72 on February 10, 2017, 07:21:56 pm
Several years ago, I went by myself to a spring Red-White game (I believe it was the early Petrino years).  Wasn't anyone around me, and Ken Hatfield came in and set down about 3 rows in front of me.  As the stands filled up, quite an assortment of people gathered around Coach Hatfield, including Senator John Bozeman.  I will never forget Bozeman turning and looking at Hatfield and asking, "Coach, when did they get so big?"  Hatfield said "When they quit having to block."  He went on to explain that in the late '60's and '70's lineman could not extend their arms, and now they can extend their arms and their is not as big a premium on being quick and agile, with good footwork.  I have a good friend, that played with Bozeman, that made some All-American teams, that was listed at 6'3", 230.  He will tell you that he played most of the year under 220, and he has often told me that when you had to pull on every play you had to be smaller.  I have always thought Coach Hatfield answered the question perfectly.

Great story.

Oklahawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2017, 06:26:23 am
1970-Mike Fanning, Tulsa Edison HS, 6-6, 260
Notre Dame-All American in 1974
1975-1st Round, 9th Pick
LA Rams
Detroit Lions
Seattle Seahawks

He was a giant as a HS player at that time.

I remember being an upper classman at UA, about 6-3 x 180 at the time. I was out playing pick-up football one day and a guy asked where I played HS ball. My reply, "I was too small for football."

Now, I didn't cross 6-feet tall until my senior year, so that's part of it.

The other part was my HS, two years after graduating, had four linemen and a TE play college ball (one sport or another) and the shortest of the five was 6-5, and the lightest in HS was about 225 (the TE, who later pitched in the majors). We couldn't keep up with BTWashington in Tulsa in that era - Patrick Collins was one of about six players who could outrun our RB who played some at OSU. Collins had a couple of KO returns for TD against us in the playoffs. Crazy fast. We were crazy big and he just took one step with a wiggle and was by us.

That was a while ago! No one was that big. And the other lineman? A 5-9 x 160 pounder at center. Meaner than a sack of rabid, wet cats.

DeltaBoy

We had 2 tackles in HS they were 6.4 260 and 6.2 240 now we also had a DE who was our HS basketball center who was nearly 6.5 and only 180 but he had great lateral movement and a nearly 6 foot wing span.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Love those Hogs

In HS, my RG also started at FS on defense.  He was 5'9 and 165 lbs but mean as heck.
Hogs 4 Life!

DeltaBoy

Our HS Nose man was nicknamed Stump he was only 160 pounds benched 300 plus and was cat quick.  I seen him shoot between the Centers legs as he snapped the ball and grab the legs of the QB and drag him down.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

FANONTHEHILL

Very good post.  I believe a lot of what determines how unhealthy the extra weight that players carry is two things.

1) What is that extra weight composed of?
2) Where is that weight being carried?

The physique of the player has a lot to do with it. Broad shoulders and wide hips can carry a lot more weight than someone with a narrower frame that tends to add weight only in their mid section.  I know that Coach Herbert focuses on muscle mass and weight in the thighs, shoulders, and back. Their diets and workout routines are closely regulated. Some are in the lose weight group, some are maintain, some are gain.  In my son's case, he's added 25lbs in a year and a half in the program.  His waist is the same, but the areas mentioned above get bigger every time I see him. 

I agree with the article/video that there is a risk for anyone carrying too much weight, but from what I'm told by my son, what that weight is comprised of and the focus on nutrition is a huge head start on the rest of his life after football. His football weight will be around 300, but he's been told when the exercise changes from mass gain to muscle tone, he will live in the 240-250 range. I appreciate that Coach Herb is focused on these guys long term, not just. While they're on campus. 

Here's a picture I've posted before of the Oline group from last fall.  Big boys, but not morbidly obese.  Some have gained weight and some have lost.  Be interesting to see where they are by camp in August.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

DeltaBoy

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 17, 2017, 10:38:06 am
Very good post.  I believe a lot of what determines how unhealthy the extra weight that players carry is two things.

1) What is that extra weight composed of?
2) Where is that weight being carried?

The physique of the player has a lot to do with it. Broad shoulders and wide hips can carry a lot more weight than someone with a narrower frame that tends to add weight only in their mid section.  I know that Coach Herbert focuses on muscle mass and weight in the thighs, shoulders, and back. Their diets and workout routines are closely regulated. Some are in the lose weight group, some are maintain, some are gain.  In my son's case, he's added 25lbs in a year and a half in the program.  His waist is the same, but the areas mentioned above get bigger every time I see him. 

I agree with the article/video that there is a risk for anyone carrying too much weight, but from what I'm told by my son, what that weight is comprised of and the focus on nutrition is a huge head start on the rest of his life after football. His football weight will be around 300, but he's been told when the exercise changes from mass gain to muscle tone, he will live in the 240-250 range. I appreciate that Coach Herb is focused on these guys long term, not just. While they're on campus. 

Here's a picture I've posted before of the Oline group from last fall.  Big boys, but not morbidly obese.  Some have gained weight and some have lost.  Be interesting to see where they are by camp in August.

Thanks for that insight.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 10, 2017, 10:54:28 pm
I remember being an upper classman at UA, about 6-3 x 180 at the time. I was out playing pick-up football one day and a guy asked where I played HS ball. My reply, "I was too small for football."

Now, I didn't cross 6-feet tall until my senior year, so that's part of it.

The other part was my HS, two years after graduating, had four linemen and a TE play college ball (one sport or another) and the shortest of the five was 6-5, and the lightest in HS was about 225 (the TE, who later pitched in the majors). We couldn't keep up with BTWashington in Tulsa in that era - Patrick Collins was one of about six players who could outrun our RB who played some at OSU. Collins had a couple of KO returns for TD against us in the playoffs. Crazy fast. We were crazy big and he just took one step with a wiggle and was by us.

That was a while ago! No one was that big. And the other lineman? A 5-9 x 160 pounder at center. Meaner than a sack of rabid, wet cats.

I played against those BTW teams. Gilliam was the QB, he was scary elusive. On one play against us he went 90 yards for a score where he must have run 150 yards to get the TD but there was a holding called on the play and they were moved back to the 5 yard line and the next play Gilliam went 95 yards for the score.
I played DE and had containment on the outside against their option, Gilliam as QB Collins as the pitch back and Erik Johnson as a pulling guard to go with their massive fullback. To say it simply, we were completely outmatched.

presidenthog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 14, 2017, 12:44:18 pm
We had 2 tackles in HS they were 6.4 260 and 6.2 240 now we also had a DE who was our HS basketball center who was nearly 6.5 and only 180 but he had great lateral movement and a nearly 6 foot wing span.

If he was 6.5 then his wing span was 6.5. As your wing span is the same as your height. You are symmetrical. Unless you are ape positive in which your wingspan is longer than  your hieght.