Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Scott, Jr new DL coach

Started by bighog2255, February 07, 2017, 02:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 12:38:19 pm
Extremely asinine, aTm or Tennessee is more apt to fire their coach than us next year. He's here two more years minimum, simple as that.

Fine, and then what?   He is a lame duck.  Everyone paying attention knows that he is gone the day his buyout drops to single digits.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 12:45:21 pm
Fine, and then what?   He is a lame duck.  Everyone paying attention knows that he is gone the day his buyout drops to single digits.

Really? Can you name anyone who has influence in the firing decision who believes as you say?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bennyl08

Yeah, but can e dunk? Proven fact that any coach who is actually good can dunk a basketball.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

And the average position coach stays about 2 years at a school these days, so not really correct, again.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 12:59:22 pm
And the average position coach stays about 2 years at a school these days, so not really correct, again.

Right, so why would he want to be part of a staff that will be fired if he had options?  This is the kind of coach Bielema can hire these days. 

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 01:07:58 pm
Right, so why would he want to be part of a staff that will be fired if he had options?  This is the kind of coach Bielema can hire these days. 

Because, any staff, outside of Bama or tOSU can be fired any year. We win 8 regular season games this year and you'll see a 4 year extension.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 01:13:09 pm
Because, any staff, outside of Bama or tOSU can be fired any year. We win 8 regular season games this year and you'll see a 4 year extension.

We won't and there won't be.  But extensions mean little as long as the buyout isn't altered.

gchamblee

i know you want him fired, but people smarter than you are making the call and he is fine right now. i like how you equate drama queening as paying attention lol.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 01:19:36 pm
We won't and there won't be.  But extensions mean little as long as the buyout isn't altered.

Well, it won't be at the $4M that the current one has for the final year.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 09, 2017, 12:56:27 pm
Yeah, but can e dunk? Proven fact that any coach who is actually good can dunk a basketball.

Well if CBB is drinking 300 grams of protein a day then he will be able to dunk. It is a proven fact.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 01:44:17 pm
Well, it won't be at the $4M that the current one has for the final year.

Arkansas is a gold mine.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawg66

Why are some people using Tennessee and Butch as an example of what Arkansas should be doing?

Vcloudv

I know this should probably be in the Recruiting Forum but at least CJSJ is hitting the ground running.
He has already offered the #1 DL in Georgia.

He re-tweeted this when CJSJ was announced

https://twitter.com/OLINEPRIDE/status/829066497637117952

Then he posted this

https://twitter.com/trenchmonster8/status/829323813447954433

https://twitter.com/recruitvidzapp/status/829356629342707713

Its a long shot but I'm glad hes hitting the ground running!

ricepig

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawg66 on February 09, 2017, 01:52:26 pm
Why are some people using Tennessee and Butch as an example of what Arkansas should be doing?

Good question if it has been raised. From 2013-2016 Tennessee averaged (on 24/7) having the #12.25 recruiting class in the country and has a conference record from 2014-2016 of just 12-12, just 2 more conference wins over that period of time than Arkansas who averaged having the #24.5 recruiting class. I'd say they aren't getting the most out of their recruiting classes. Yeah I'd say Butch Jones is on more of a hotseat than Bielema and for more reasons than a big buyout.
Go Hogs Go!

BielemaBrilliance

"When you win, nothing hurts" Joe N

Razorpigg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 07, 2017, 04:51:47 pm
With not a lot to work with. And also brought in 3 solid recruits as well.

Agreed.  I havent understood some of the hate CKA has taken this year from some on here.  I thought hes done a pretty damn good job, and like you said got a few recruits that should be a big part of our future.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

It going to be great to see how this guy works out.  I am ready for the 3-4.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Heard Paul on Bo today and it seemed like he had a lot of assay into the hire. The connection was his. Evidently Scott worked a camp with him when he was at ISU.

LZH

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 12:23:17 pm
Because no assistant thought well enough of in the business to be considered a consensus homerun hire is going to take a job with a lame duck coach.

It does have that feeling upon first glance, OLB coach, too. Makes you wonder if there were several more experienced guys that turned down these jobs and if that was a reason for the length of the hiring process.

While it is possible there could be some truth to that, Bielema is counting on this defensive change to not only win more ball games, but also to de facto save his job. I can't imagine that he would just wing it and hire total novices in this situation. Plus, no doubt PR played a major role in bringing them on board.

Does that make me feel good about the hires? No, not really. I would have felt better with a lot more coaching experience and an impressive recruiting background. We will just have to see. Most position coaches are young and the way up as opposed to older and on their way down. Hopefully these two are young stars in the making. I look at it like a coach signing a 2* recruit, seems like a long shot but he must see something in these guys to be comfortable with it.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 12:23:17 pm
Because no assistant thought well enough of in the business to be considered a consensus homerun hire is going to take a job with a lame duck coach.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Paul

Hogwash

wachhog

When Long and Bielema tweeted that "changes would be made," I think some of us had a little higher expectations.

tophawg19

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 09, 2017, 08:49:59 am
And the there's the ostriches!
i chose to be one of those who trusts the judgement of CBB , Saban, Dom Capers Mark Stoops ETC, about this guy and be an Ostrich , Rather than a guy who thinks he knows it all and has his head buried somewhere else as do some on here
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PorkRinds

February 12, 2017, 01:21:42 pm #376 Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:47:57 pm by PorkRinds
Quote from: wachhog on February 12, 2017, 10:37:06 am
When Long and Bielema tweeted that "changes would be made," I think some of us had a little higher expectations.
And some of you are also brain dead, so there's that.

tophawg19

I'd say a guy saban Hired twice , Stoops hired and credits with helping them build their 3-4 is pretty high praise. Those Atlanta Falcon /Georgia ties hopefully help with these new hires too
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Boot_stops_here

Don't really understand all the intensity. I mean, there is PLENTY of reason to be skeptical of this hire and, if you want to find them, there could be considered reasons for optimism. But good grief, so many ticked off people just b/c of differing opinions.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 12, 2017, 01:39:14 pm
Don't really understand all the intensity. I mean, there is PLENTY of reason to be skeptical of this hire and, if you want to find them, there could be considered reasons for optimism. But good grief, so many ticked off people just b/c of differing opinions.
The issue is this: some people never say anything positive about CBB.  They haven't from the moment he was hired.  And those same people are, primarily, the ones who are negative.  Not skeptical.  Negative.
All Gas, No Brakes!

870hogfan

You want him to fail just like everyone else with an agenda...

MuskogeeHogFan

Should he win 9-10 games each of the next two years, he won't be gone, IMO. With everything else that he is doing with the program, there isn't any way that they would be rid of him. Now two more seasons of 7-8 wins? Yes, I'd say that if he doesn't leave on his own, they may ask him to leave. But even that isn't a foregone conclusion.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 14, 2017, 09:26:58 am
Should he win 9-10 games each of the next two years, he won't be gone, IMO. With everything else that he is doing with the program, there isn't any way that they would be rid of him. Now two more seasons of 7-8 wins? Yes, I'd say that if he doesn't leave on his own, they may ask him to leave. But even that isn't a foregone conclusion.

7 or 8 wins is a foregone conclusion.  And the point is, that regardless of what Jeff Long does or doesn't do, the national perception is that number of wins will not be enough to keep him at Arkansas.  The national perception of Arkansas, at least in this case, is higher than that of many of our fans and possibly our AD.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hawgon on February 16, 2017, 08:11:05 am
7 or 8 wins is a foregone conclusion.  And the point is, that regardless of what Jeff Long does or doesn't do, the national perception is that number of wins will not be enough to keep him at Arkansas.  The national perception of Arkansas, at least in this case, is higher than that of many of our fans and possibly our AD.

Given the below information, why would the national perception be higher?

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 29, 2016, 09:58:51 am
I agree but ya'll do realize that since Broyles came the Hogs have averaged (from Broyles in to date) a season record of 7-4
The Hogs average season record from the inception of the program (1894 to Broyles - 1957) the Hogs average season record was 4-4
Since Petrino left the Hogs have averaged a season record of 6 - 7

Other than a very few shining and stunning years (1909, 1964, 1965, 1968, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1988, 1989, 2006, 2010, and 2011), the Hogs have been no where near the top of the food chain................ I'm not saying that the Hogs should settle for 7 - 5 season records and should lower their expectations, but I am saying that history doesn't prove that the Hogs have sniffed the top but once or twice every few years, and then only since 1964......   In other words, "'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgon

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 16, 2017, 08:19:38 am
Given the below information, why would the national perception be higher?

Because they think we are at least TRYING to win. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawgon on February 16, 2017, 11:53:50 am
Because they think we are at least TRYING to win.

Only a juvenile would think CBB is not trying to win. The discussion can be around - are his efforts going to result in wins? That is a good discussion.

But for a fan to say CBB, or Long, is not trying to win is stupid.

hawgon

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 17, 2017, 06:47:35 am
Only a juvenile would think CBB is not trying to win. The discussion can be around - are his efforts going to result in wins? That is a good discussion.

But for a fan to say CBB, or Long, is not trying to win is stupid.

People who won't put a subpar performer on the hot seat are not trying to win.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hawgon on February 17, 2017, 06:52:18 am
People who won't put a subpar performer on the hot seat are not trying to win.

Yea but you know it takes about ten horses to have a derby.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 12, 2017, 01:14:26 pm
i chose to be one of those who trusts the judgement of CBB , Saban, Dom Capers Mark Stoops ETC, about this guy and be an Ostrich , Rather than a guy who thinks he knows it all and has his head buried somewhere else as do some on here

My comment wasn't about "this guy" but yes you are "that guy".  👌

I took off my rose colored glasses 4 years, 11 months and 16 days ago.  I judge by production now and I'm not judging someone who just joined the program.  You won't find anything different concerning a coach or player in my post.  If you basis for approving someone is just because someone hired them it's not much different.  We are gonna know at about the same time whether it's a good hire or not.  A true Ostrich thought will actually never know.  Or put it this way, it won't matter.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on February 16, 2017, 08:11:05 am

Well actually, no it isn't, but you already know that.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 18, 2017, 03:38:44 pm
Well actually, no it isn't, but you already know that.

Yeah, it is and you already know that.