Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE BEST TEAM WON

Started by Dropkick, January 10, 2017, 12:11:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

Clemson answered every time.

hobhog

No doubt.

And they were just an average program a few years back.

Congrats. But Now I shall hate them!

longtimeHogfan

The only thing I remember about their last national championship team in the early 80's was their All-American nose tackle.....William 'Refrigerator' Perry.  'Fridge' went on to become a hero of the Monsters of the Midway, Chicago Bears.  Dan Hampton nicknamed him 'biscuit' because he figured he was just one biscuit short of 400 lbs. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

jackflash

Clemson was better than I give them credit for

Paul

RollHogTide

Quote from: Dropkick on January 10, 2017, 12:11:03 am

As a Bama fan, I completely agree. 

311Hog

They won and i give them credit but i dont think they are the best team.  Injuries and the OC situation did Bama no favors, add to that the bs Big 12 all offense no defense officials.  But that is all part of the game i suppose.

HF#1

It was a break through win for that program. It has taken Dabo a long time to get that thing built to contend. I respect what they did and now we will see if they can sustain it. Dabo is a good coach. Doesn't seem like that long ago Clemson was the butt of a lot of jokes for choking away games. "Clemsoning" is no longer a thing.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HotlantaHog

Rivals has Clemson recruiting ranked 16th, 247 says 13th ... ESPN 12th ... Last year Clemson was ranked 6th by Rivals, 11th by 247 ... One would guess that winning the national championship and being in the championship game two years in a row would enhance their recruiting ....

tophawg19

gridiron now has a very interesting story on the top 25 and how they fared in recruiting the last 5 years . kind of changes the argument of stars and rankings matter . Clemson has not had a top 5 class in that time and only 2 top 10's . many others in the 25 had poor recruiting classes . wisconsin's best class was 33rd
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawginbigd1

I disagree the best team won, gasp,  the best coached team won. Bamas hurry up while not getting any first downs finally wore down it's own defense. Then add in the OPI's not called and Clemson wins.

Inhogswetrust

If the same teams played 10 times I think each wins 5.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 10, 2017, 07:25:55 pm

It was the best NC game I've seen in a long time.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

98hogs

The over confidence of Bama and the arrogance got them beat!  LOVE IT !

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dropkick

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 10, 2017, 06:36:26 pm
I disagree the best team won, gasp,  the best coached team won. Bamas hurry up while not getting any first downs finally wore down it's own defense. Then add in the OPI's not called and Clemson wins.
Best team won. Team includes players and coaches.
As far as officiating not sure Bama shouldn't have had a targeting penalty or two called on them.

str8volfan

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 10, 2017, 07:25:55 pm

Bama wins nine if the picks are called
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dropkick on January 10, 2017, 08:26:50 pm
Best team won. Team includes players and coaches.
As far as officiating not sure Bama shouldn't have had a targeting penalty or two called on them.

The best team that particular time and place. That doesn't mean that same collection of players and coaches are the best for every game they might play between them. Clemson deserved to win but don't make it sound as if it would have been any different as to the "best" if Bama had won.

carolinahogger

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 10, 2017, 09:00:51 pm

Clemson wins nine if the pass interference and holds by the Bama DBs are called.

hogcard1964

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 10, 2017, 09:00:51 pm

I think it's closer to 6-4 or 7-3 in favor of Bama. I think Bama is a slightly better team, but those were bad no calls.

Cinco de Hogo

If Bama had a better all around qb that had three years experience they would win 10 of 10! 😉  But I do love they lost.

Pigsknuckles

I guess Clemson has been creeping up the ladder, under the radar, for quite some time. I remember back when the B12 was imploding, and the SEC was considering going to 16 teams that a Clemson invite was strongly considered . I always thought that they would be a worthy addition to the SEC. However, I never imagined they would be fielding the teams they have in the past two years. I seem to want to ask "when did they get so good"?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

passinghog

Clemson had the best player on the field, so it's hard to say that they WOULDN'T win a majority of the games if they played 10 times. You could also make an argument that they had the second best player in Mike Williams. Alabama can't guard him, doesn't really matter if you try to bracket him with a safety over the top with those back shoulder and jump ball throws. The only position to position matchup that was a mismatch was the Clemson receivers and TE vs the Alabama corners. Even without the pick plays they were still a better unit.

NaturalStateReb

Agreed.

Whenever Alabama suffers a loss, people ask, "how did Bama lose?"  Alabama didn't lose this game; Clemson won it.  The Tigers had the better team--not lots better, but just better enough.

Also, Deshaun Watson is the best player in college football.  Not Jalen Hurts, not Lamar Jackson.  Hurts is great, but his weaknesses have been out there for a while--of course, he's also a freshman, so you assume the best is yet to come.

Jackson is a solid QB in a flying circus offense.  Think Watson would get motorboated by Houston?  Not a chance.  Watson was better, and was even better head-to-head when Louisville was hot.  The Heisman Trophy has become a cartoon, more about cute commercials than honest recognition.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

code red

Clemson was better.  Next year will be Bama's year and probably the next but...I wouldn't look for Clemson to be back for a while.  Clemson would be pedestrian without Watson.  In addition......Bama will likely win the NC next year in week 2.....when #1 Bama vs. #2 Florida State.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou