Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama lands Avery Johnson

Started by jbcarol, April 04, 2015, 07:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/784359956028002306

QuoteAvery Johnson landed commitments from two of the state's top players Thursday. First, it was Hale County wing Herb Jones and then it was Pelham big Alex Reese.

The 6-foot-7, 185-pound Jones is a composite three-star recruit, but 247Sports and Rivals have him at four stars. Reese is a four-star recruit.

HOW IT HAPPENED: Reese was offered by Alabama's previous coaching staff and when Avery Johnson was hired in the spring of 2015, he made sure that Reese knew his offer was still there. Alabama offered Jones earlier this spring. Both told Alabama coaches during their official visits that they were committing and they elected to announce on Thursday.

Credit Alabama assistant Antoine Pettway most here...

WHAT THEY BRING: Reese is an inside-out forward who can handle it, shoot from threes and bang down low. Jones is a long (7-foot wingspan) left-handed player who can drive, defend and shoot the threes better than most realize.

"Alex is very talented, versatile player who is going to be able to do multiple things for them," Joel Floyd said. "He's so skilled where, at that level, he's going to have a lot more space. He won't be double and triple-teamed like he is for us and he'll have more 1-on-1 battles."

"He's under control and doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes," said Herb's father Walter Jones, who is also a Hale County assistant. "He plays the mental game, he's solid, he's going to execute, shoots the ball pretty well.

"I have to remind him that people will play him for that dribble drive, but he has a really nice jump shot. Sometimes he forgets that."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 10m10 minutes ago

Alabama's Avery Johnson having huge week recruiting. Already has 2 commitments, expected to land Miss. big man Galin Smith today, per source
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Joseph Goodman ‏@JoeGoodmanJr 17h17 hours ago

Going to string together some tweets here from Avery Johnson because he just tossed former Bama coach Anthony Grant under the bus today.

Avery Johnson: "I can't speak for the other coaches, but based on what we inherited, we were just trying to survive..."

Avery Johnson: "I was hoping we'd win five games. Didn't think we would win 18, OK?"

Avery Johnson: "And it wasn't like I had a lack of confidence, or I don't believe the impossible..."

Avery Johnson: "But it's just, I knew what I was looking at every day."

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/788841268579332129

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 57s57 seconds ago

Avery Johnson compares Alabama football coach Nick Saban to Gregg Popovich http://sec.news/2eKo9pZ

Quote"They're cut from the same cloth," Johnson said. "He(Popovich) talks a lot about having great chemistry amongst his coaching staff, going through the process, going from good to great, and that's what I appreciate about coach Saban."

https://twitter.com/AlabamaFTBL/status/790576602346315777

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/791684657083453441

QuoteFive-star point guard Collin Sexton will make his decision on the 10th, and choose between Alabama, Kansas, Georgia Tech and North Carolina State.

According to 247Sports' Crystal Ball projections, 82 percent of recruiting analysts peg Sexton to wind up in Tuscaloosa.

John Petty, a 4-star shooting guard from Huntsville, Ala., is down to Kentucky and the Tide.

He is ranked as the nation's No. 31 player and the country's No. 5 shooting guard recruit. The 6-foot-5, 180-pound prospect is considered a Wildcats lean with 74 percent of analysts pegging Petty to Kentucky.

Tide currently hold three members in their 2017 class, including 4-star power forward Alex Reese, 3-star shooting guard Herb Jones and 3-star center Galin Smith.

Garrett Tucker
‏@GTuckerHoops

2017 wing John Petty will not visit Kentucky this weekend as originally planned. He has set his commitment date for Nov. 10th

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/794369969081450496

QuotePlayers to watch going forward

Guard Dazon Ingram: Ingram did a little bit of everything on the court. In one sequence, Ingram knocked down a three-pointer then followed that up with a steal and a nice pass to forward Nick King for a lay-up on the fastbreak. Ingram had some turnovers...

Forward Ar'Mond Davis: Davis hit 4-of-8 three-pointers on the night. He also put the ball on the floor a couple of times and got to the basket. If Davis can shoot like this, he'll help spread the floor to create driving lanes for Ingram and others.

Forward Braxton Key: Key, Alabama's lone true freshman, showed off his versatility. He crashed the glass and finished well around the rim.

Forward Riley Norris: Norris is a veteran, but it was promising to see him hit 2-of-3 three-pointers. Alabama is going to need his shooting this season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/809699845699149824

Quote"Craig is going to be deeply missed," Johnson said. "We send all of our thoughts and prayers to his family. But you talk about people want to throw the word 'legend' around, or media giant, he was there. He was there at the beginning of TNT (basketball) and I just wanted to say may he rest in peace.

[Note: Quote and End Quote are scrambled in the remainder of this piece.  The content is copied exactly as it first appeared in The Birmingham News]

Following the Crimson Tide's 78-61 victory over USC Upstate on Thursday, Johnson read a quote from Sager, the affable broadcaster who was known for his flamboyant sartorial choices.

"I saw professionalism, integrity, honesty, wit," Johnson said. "I saw flair, flash -- I didn't always understand the suits -- and I saw the one person that could get my mentor -- outside of me -- I saw one person that can get Coach (Gregg) Popovich to smile and cooperate during the sideline interview at the end of the first and third quarter.

Johnson played for nine seasons under Popovich and during that time came to know Sager.

"I'm talking about somebody that spent four years in the media and also several years and all of the years of my NBA and coaching career being covered by Craig," Johnson said. "And my life is better because I had a chance to cross paths with him."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/819730487858040833

QuoteCrimson Tide about to hit the road for three of the next four.

So, where does Avery Johnson's second team in Tuscaloosa stand?

Considerable work remains if Alabama hopes to make its first NCAA tournament appearance in five seasons. The Tide sits at 9-6 overall after losing Tuesday night against Florida.

It heads to LSU at 2:30 p.m. CT Saturday to start a road-heave [sic] stretch.

As far as the NCAA tournament resume goes, it could be better.

Alabama is No. 91 in the official RPI rankings on the NCAA website. The Sagarin Ratings have the Tide in a more favorable No. 73 slot, but still below where a tournament team would fall. And Ken Pomeroy has Alabama at No. 76.

ESPN breaks down the reasons why the Tide ranking is where it is. First, Alabama is 0-4 against top-50 teams. The best win to date is the 59-56 win over No. 60 Vanderbilt on Jan. 7. It led No. 3 Florida in the second half Tuesday before falling 80-67 late.

On the positive side, the Tide hasn't had any very bad losses. It is 6-0 against teams ranked 150th or lower in the RPI. Scheduling a road game at Texas was supposed to boost the strength of schedule, but a 77-68 loss on Dec. 2 to the No. 149 Longhorns is the worst loss in terms of RPI rankings. No. 85 Valparaiso is the next worst loss.

In other good news, the Tide faces only one more top-10 team the rest of the way. No. 4 Kentucky comes to Coleman Coliseum on Feb. 11. The next-best opponents include South Carolina (23), Georgia (34) and Arkansas (41).

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/838929516890374145

Quote"We just have to do a good job of taking care of the ball, rebounding the ball and become a better balanced team, which we have been searching for all year," Johnson said. "We have put together some good halves. But we haven't put together as many complete games as I've wanted to."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/854311050614902784

QuoteWhen Avery Johnson was hired at Alabama, he was fairly direct about his philosophy on so-called "one-and-done" players, who make mere pitstops in college on the way to the NBA.

"I'm all for it," he said. "We need to get some of those players."

That recruiting bulletin may have landed a year earlier than Johnson wanted. Freshman wing Braxton Key announced on Monday that he would enter the NBA draft without signing an agent. Since he doesn't have an agent, Key will be able to return to Alabama after the NBA combine, or if he goes undrafted. But if a team takes a flyer on him, Johnson's #Year3 will be down one of its top contributors, which can only partially be offset by the well-regarded signing class coming in.

Key's draft prospects are long odds, at best. He wasn't even always the best player on an Alabama team that lost in the first round of the NIT, and never displayed the kind of preternatural talent that gets players like Ben Simmons drafted highly without making the tournament.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/854396630358949894

QuoteIt's been a good while since an Alabama basketball recruit brought a buzz like the one trailing Collin Sexton.

The recent all-star circuit only cranked thins up a little more. ESPN's final rankings pushed Sexton up to No. 6 from 10th in the 2017 rankings. Back in Tuscaloosa, coach Avery Johnson was watching the Mapleton, Georgia product's standout performances playing alongside the nation's best.

"He played with a lot of confidence and I guess, what this new age calls 'swagger,'" Johnson said. "But he played with a lot of confidence and swagger. He's a guy that can play on the ball, off the ball. Just don't box him in. He can do a lot of different things with the basketball, very competitive on the defensive end."

Sexton is the cornerstone of Johnson's third recruiting class that ranks in everyone's top five. And everyone's ready for his arrival.
Ads by ZINC

Johnson also had a message after Monday night's team banquet.

"Let me be perfectly clear," Johnson continued. "This is not Collin Sexton coming in and trying to rescue Alabama basketball. We have four other freshmen we signed and we have some other players who have played in some hard-nosed SEC basketball that's returning on our team."

The recruiting class includes four top-100 players on Rivals' board and three according to 247Sports. John Petty (No. 25), Herb Jones (No. 86) and Alex Reece (No. 95) bring something too. Johnson was also quick to mention the impact expected from Daniel Giddens, a 6-foot-11 transfer from Ohio State who had to sit out last season.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864451055194603520

QuoteThe head coach hired Yasir Rosemond away from the University of Georgia for his third season at Alabama. Rosemond's tactical credentials are relatively unknown, but he comes to the Capstone as a highly touted and well-connected recruiter. Rosemond is an Atlanta native who has recruited several of the top recruits from the South's biggest metropolis and coached at Samford in Birmingham for three years before moving from one set of Bulldogs to another.

His hiring gives Alabama an in-road to the most talent-rich city nearby, where Johnson himself and his top recruiter, Antoine Pettway, are relatively unconnected...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/865352571405434882

QuoteHe can't say his name, so he didn't.

However, a day after Texas transfer Tevin Mack committed to the Alabama basketball program, Alabama coach Avery Johnson joined me on The Opening Kickoff on WNSP-FM 105.5 and was asked if he went to bed with a smile on his face Wednesday night.

"I did," Johnson said Thursday. "You can check my Twitter and you can see the little smiley face. When I put the shades on Twitter, then I'm really excited about something good that's happening with Alabama basketball."

https://twitter.com/CoachAvery6/status/865039437339795456

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Crimson Tide will host an open practice at Coleman Coliseum from 6-7 p.m. on Aug. 2 as the team prepares for an eight-day, three-game trip to Canada that begins Aug. 4.

Coach Avery Johnson will be mic'd up throughout the practice and will hold a question and answer with fans afterward.

QuoteWith four starters back and the top signing class in program history, the Tide appears poised to take a step forward in Year 3 under Johnson.

USA Today had Alabama at No. 22 in its most recent preseason top-25 rankings.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Alabama pounds Canadian team, McGill behind freshman's 3-point outburst

QuoteAlabama's young talent throttled McGill 96-57 in the first of three games of the Tide's foreign tour. Freshman John Petty had a game-high 22 points by nailing 6-of-8 from behind the 3-point arc.

Top-five recruit Collin Sexton had 13 points, two assists, two turnovers and a steal in 20 minutes of action.

The Tide fell behind 11-3 before hitting another speed. A 37-2 run followed, turning this one into a blowout. With a comfortable lead, Alabama had no player logging more than the 22 minutes played by Braxton Key. Last year's leading scorer had 8 points on 3-for-4 shooting.

Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens come off the bench to score 13 with a few forceful dunks against the overmatched Canadian roster. Ar'Mond Davis chipped in 14 with a pair of 3s.

As a team, Alabama went 14-for-25 from beyond the arc and shot 59.6 percent from the field.

Alabama plays Carleton University at 6 p.m. CT Wednesday and the University of Ottawa Thursday.

Alabama M Basketball‏Verified account @AlabamaMBB

Here's the box score from tonight's game! #RollTide #BuckleUp #TideTakesCanada

jbcarol

After the hype, and the work that went into landing one of the nation's best recruiting classes, University of Alabama men's basketball coach Avery Johnson wanted to find out what kind of team he has for the upcoming season.

After 10 practices and three exhibition games in Canada, he has to...

Quote"We're pretty fast," he said. "We can score. I've always talked about scoring in the first 5 to 7 seconds. That was like a little bit of a dream the first two years. It might become reality this year. It would be nice to see.

"I like our foot speed, our wing speed. The more easy baskets you can get before a defense can set up, and then hopefully we'll do a better job of executing, you're balanced. You can score early, you can score in the medium part of the game or you can score late. There may be situations in which there's 3 seconds on the shot clock or 5, we don't want a shot clock to get that low, but then we have guys that we think can create their own shot and not one guy.

"The main thing we wanted when we decided to come to Canada was to play," Johnson said in a statement Thursday night. "We thought this would be the best competition we could face.

"We've had two really tough games and that's what we wanted, especially given the fact that we have some of our key guys banged up. We didn't want to go somewhere where we would win 105-5 or something like that. We wanted to have somewhat of a real game, and that's what we accomplished on this trip."

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 3h3 hours ago

For those already in basketball mode [and count us as there], here's an update on Collin Sexton's status https://trib.al/PSNrvbe

QuoteEvery Alabama basketball player participated in the Crimson Tide's first preseason practice Friday afternoon, including five-star freshman point guard Collin Sexton.

Sexton's status has been publicly questioned since basketball administrator Kobie Baker's resignation on Wednesday.

According to an FBI complaint that was released Tuesday, someone referred to as "Staff Member 1," whom Alabama later found out was Baker, took money from a financial advisor in return for trying to help push players toward signing with that financial advisor. He was also part of a dinner with a player's father, that agent and Rashan Michel, who was arrested Tuesday.

While the player's father wasn't named, he was identified as being the father of a highly-ranked incoming player at Staff Member 1's school and the dinner took place in Atlanta on or around Aug. 31. Sexton is from the Atlanta area.

Tide athletic director Greg Byrne said in a statement Wednesday night that Alabama, which conducted an internal investigation, is not aware of any NCAA or SEC rules being violated.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bama basketball finally gives fans a first look at 2017-18 men

QuoteAlabama basketball hosted its annual crimson tip-off event Tuesday for 7000-plus fans, introducing both the men's and women's 2017-18 teams.

The men start the season with a Nov. 6 exhibition, travel for their first game Nov. 10 and open the home slate Nov. 14.

The star attractions were obviously freshmen Collin Sexton (2) and John Petty (23).

It's obvious this isn't the Alabama basketball team of the last decade.

Alabama is one just three SEC teams ranked in the top-25 of the preseason coaches poll, which was released Thursday morning.

Kentucky, which was picked to finish first in the preseason SEC media poll, is No. 4 in the coaches poll. Florida is No. 7. And the Crimson Tide is No. 25.

jbcarol

Alabama survives foul fest to pound Memphis in opener

QuoteAlabama found the perimeter touch to race past Memphis 82-70. It did so after being whistled for 20 first-half fouls on an already shorthanded night.

Already playing without Collin Sexton, Braxton Key, Riley Norris and Ar'Mond Davis, foul trouble became the story of the season opener. The Crimson Tide had 20 first-half fouls and 30 in the game.

The good news? Sexton will be back Tuesday night for the home opener with Lipscomb after serving a one-game suspension.

And the rest of the Tide picked up the slack Friday.

Five of the nine Alabama players who saw action hit double figures led by Dazon Ingram's 20. It hit six of the first nine 3s taken in the second half after making just 33.3 percent in the open 20 minutes. Alabama led by as much as 17 in the second half before settling on the 12-point final margin.

jbcarol

Avery Johnson announces signing class, updates injuries and names Collin Sexton a starter

QuoteAlabama men's basketball program announced the signing of three players for the recruiting Class of 2018: guards Jared Butler and Diante Wood and center Javian Fleming.

In other Crimson Tide basketball news:

• Johnson announced that freshman guard Collin Sexton will be in the starting lineup for Tuesday's home opener against Lipscomb. Sexton served a one-game suspension against Memphis.

• Even though Alabama was missing four players against the Tigers — sophomore forward Braxton Key (knee) the other — Johnson said his team was fortunate to get the win after committing 20 fouls in the first half. "That was a poorly coached team," he said. "It looked like we'd never gone through a defensive drill in our lives."

• Senior guard/forward Riley Norris (hip) has shown improvement and is expected to make a full return to practice later this week.

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Alabama dunks on Tennessee's 6-game winning streak, crushes Vols

Quoteama punished Tennessee 78-50 in a sold-out arena -- starting fast and pulling away late coming off an ugly loss at Mississippi State. It snapped the Vols six-game winning streak, leaving little doubt at any point.

The 28-point margin of victory was Alabama's largest against a ranked team since beating No. 17 Mississippi State 98-49 in 2005.

Tennessee (18-6, 8-4 SEC) had not allowed more than 63 points in the last six wins. Alabama crossed that barrier with 10:20 left on a Donta Hall dunk.

Alabama is now 5-1 against ranked teams this season after previously beating Texas A&M, Auburn, Oklahoma and Florida.

Tennessee shot just 27.6 percent from the field (16-for-58) including 23.5 percent from 3-point range (4-for-17). The visitors were also dominated near the basket as Alabama held a 50-18 advantage in points scored in the paint.

Among the highlights of the night was Sexton's around-the-back fake on a first-half breakaway. The move left Coleman Coliseum stunned and put two points on the board.

"Honestly, I just saw his momentum going to the other side," Sexton said. "We were always taught when you're growing up to just go the opposite way the defender's moving because it's pretty hard to change direction that fast."

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

What happened when Alabama faded late in loss at Kentucky

QuoteThere was a nervous tension in Rupp Arena on Saturday afternoon.

This Kentucky basketball program hadn't lost five straight since 1990 with a hot Alabama team in town. The four preceding Wildcat losses and uneven play for the first half-plus made things uncomfortable at times.

Then something snapped.

Kentucky went back to being Kentucky in the closing moments, harassing their visitors into four turnovers in the last two minutes for what appeared to a fairly comfortable 81-71 win.

Alabama freshman John Petty said the Tide just got "caught up in the moment" late in the game.

Alabama (17-10, 8-6) led by one twice in the second half. Donta Hall's put-back and foul shot with 8:34 left gave the visitors its final lead of the afternoon. A few moments later, a Wildcat fan made a half-court shot for $10,000 in a moment that seemed to jolt the home crowd to life.

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Avery Johnson updates Donta Hall injury, discusses Virginia Tech scouting

Quote-- The big story of the week is Donta Hall's status after the concussion suffered last Friday against Auburn. "We'll see," Johnson said. The junior remains day-to-day and didn't participate in practice Monday. The coach was encouraged by the fact he rode the exercise bike "a little bit." For practice Tuesday, Johnson said he'll get an update from trainer Clarke Holter before the workout to see how much Hall will be able to do.

-- "I'll know a lot more about his status once we get on that plane to go to Pittsburgh today or especially when he wakes up tomorrow to see how he recovers from whatever he's able to do today," Johnson said.

-- Asked if he knew how severe Hall's concussion was, Johnson shook his head.

-- The team "looked at our malfunctions" from the last outing against Kentucky to see what was correctable.

-- How does Johnson know there's something different this week: His favorite coffee shop gave him a free coffee this morning for the first time in three years. "So, I guess that's a big deal."

jbcarol

Ben Jones
‏ @BW_Jones
23m23 minutes ago

FINAL
Villanova 81, Alabama 58
Crimson Tide ends its season in the round of 32 with a 20-16 record. Sexton led Alabama with 17 points on 7-14 shooting.

jbcarol

They went ALL IN:

AL.com sports

This was Alabama's year. Did it meet expectations?

QuoteThe top-10 recruiting class had this program in conversations not heard in generations. Preseason polls had Avery Johnson's third team ranked as high as No. 19. Sports Illustrated projected a No. 6 seed.

Sophomore forward Braxton Key said Saturday he heard the people talking Final Four at one point. Johnson wasn't running away from expectations though he didn't want it to get too fantastical. There would be a heavy burden placed on a high-potential yet unproven freshmen class.

Then came Key's knee injury, Collin Sexton's one-game NCAA suspension and a fired staffer caught in the web of the on-going FBI probe into college basketball's recruiting underbelly.

Five months after it started, Alabama's ship beached with a 20-16 record. It won an NCAA tournament game for the first time in 12 years after surviving a late-season nose dive that nearly turned this operation on its head.

That late tailspin was no joke. The senior day loss to Florida was an unmistakable low point.

"A lot of people counted us out," Key said, "saying we were going to the NIT and this team is a bust -- blah, blah whatever."

But would it be an acceptable outcome five months ago?

"For sure, coming into this season, we all thought we'd make it far," Key said. "A lot of people put the expectation of the Final Four. It's pretty tough going from the NIT to the Final Four but I think we did a lot of things great this year. We battled a lot of adversity through injuries, suspensions and whatever it was. It's good to see the guys stick together through it all."

jbcarol

AL.com sports

Alabama's run to the NCAA tournament will mean a few extra bucks for coach Avery Johnson 💸💸💸
https://trib.al/jbTGR0G

QuoteAs with any contract, performance incentives were built into the deal when Johnson arrived three years ago.

Ultimately, that'll mean $50,000 in bonuses for the NCAA run.

Johnson's contract called for a $25,000 bonus for reaching the tournament and $25,000 for each win up to the Final Four.

The appearance bonus was $50,000 in each of his first two seasons with Alabama and dropped to $25,000 in Year 3.

Should Alabama reach the Final Four under Johnson, he'd get $50,000 for each win there.

Johnson will also receive a bonus of $150,000 for completing the contract year as part of his amended deal from August. He receives that amount as long as he's still employed June 1 of every year remaining on his deal that runs through 2023.

Johnson will make $2.9 million a year for the contract that has five seasons remaining.

Alabama assistant coach John Pelphrey will also get a little extra for the tournament appearance. His deal calls for a bonus equal to eight percent of his base pay of $425,000 a year. That works out to $34,000 to be paid within 30 days.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Alabama coach Avery Johnson bashes claim that Tide will be better without Collin Sexton

QuoteJohnson responded to an article claiming that the Crimson Tide would be "better" without the star guard, arguing that although the team will have NCAA Tournament experience and be in an improved situation from the previous season, it will be because of Sexton's time with the program...

"I don't even know how someone can be a sports writer and write something like that," Johnson said via Burger. "The reason why we're going to be better next year is because of Collin Sexton's year here at Alabama. The reason why we're going to be better next year is because he helped catapult us into the tournament, which have given the players that are returning some real NCAA experience."

$exton officially declared for the 2018 NBA Draft.

The former 5-star prospect was the second Crimson Tide men's basketball player in school history to be named SEC Freshman of the Year