Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

memphishog

I like joe, but I would like for him to be off the mark a little on this one. Briles is a great guy, and a good coach with a record of pulling programs out of the ditch, but with Peterson looming out there....82-8 since 2006 speaks for itself.

Well done one the comment and photo though! +1

RazorWhacker

Quote from: HogtoberFest on November 24, 2012, 07:50:27 am
Talked to Joe Schaad at the game. He said Gruden has a house in Arkansas and Cowher was at the game.

Then we stopped joking and he said he thought it would be Briles.

You should have asked him why was he wearing a squirrel tail on the back of his head.

Ā 

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: RazorWhacker on November 24, 2012, 08:18:27 am
You should have asked him why was he wearing a squirrel tail on the back of his head.

Great first post, you will do well here.

EastexHawg

The longer this goes on the more likely it is that we get a seeing eye single coach like Franklin.  If we had a deal with a home run coach it would be announced this weekend. You don't just let the dumpster fire keep on smoldering if you have a fire hose in hand.

I am preparing to be underwhelmed.  "Good, solid coach.  Sure he's not what some of you were hoping for, but give him a chance, guys."

latrops

Quote from: YodaHog on November 24, 2012, 07:53:48 am
Did you offer him some funnel cake?

How did he respond when your wife extended her hand and said "wanna lick the sugar off my fingers"?

hog19911

If we hire Briles I'll ask God to fire Long.

Hogfaniam

Behind every good man is......
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 24, 2012, 08:25:29 am
The longer this goes on the more likely it is that we get a seeing eye single coach like Franklin.  If we had a deal with a home run coach it would be announced this weekend. You don't just let the dumpster fire keep on smoldering if you have a fire hose in hand.

I am preparing to be underwhelmed.  "Good, solid coach.  Sure he's not what some of you were hoping for, but give him a chance, guys."
I think this is EXACTLY what is going to happen. Dont know who it will be, but after all this buildup, I think you are going to be spot on Eastex.

Where is isnt any smoke, there isnt any fire and this has been going on and on with no leaks and no inside information. That probably is because there isnt much to get excited about.  Nobody gets jazzed for Mark Hudspeth or Sonny Dykes. 

regi

Did you ask him why he never gave the name of his source in Camgate? He is wrong on Briles

hoghiker

I hope you are wrong, about the underwhelming hire, but it's starting to shape up like a Texas league blooper. I'm preparing myself for disappointment, but holding on to some hope that Long has been doing something positive the last 8 months.

hoghiker

Quote from: regi on November 24, 2012, 09:03:18 am
Did you ask him why he never gave the name of his source in Camgate? He is wrong on Briles
I hope you are right. Please be right!

Oliver

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on November 24, 2012, 08:02:55 am
you know, since Jim Grobe was who Long wanted as a coach the last time we all went through this, Art Briles would be about the kind of coach that Long would get and think its a splash, home run, inside the park, base clearing type hire.

not saying Briles isnt a good coach. But that may be about as well as Arkansas can do. Most of these other "big time" coaches just use Arkansas and our money to get  fat raises but never really intend to come here.

Lets be honest, it is not an easy job when you consider the recruiting base and the division in which we play.  I bet it will be somebody like Briles or Briles himself.

I agree.  I still don't think Long can pull off a real HR hire.  Briles is a perfect candidate for the best Jeff Long can do.  Charlie Strong and James Franklin fit in this same category. 

hoglady

Briles better find a defense if he comes here.
His will make you pine for the days of Willie's D.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Ā 

MDH

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2012, 11:12:00 am

But not Haynes.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

cade321

That big dude has some little legs.

Tony Perkis

Part of me wants to believe Long knows we need a defensive head coach. Or one who can bring in a helluva DC

Pork Twain

I think Long will make another great hire.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

mmhogs17

whosiskid

Bull to Art Briles.

Look, I know a lot of guys hate Jeff Long, but ALL of the evidence shows him to be a guy who in his long term plans ONLY swings for the fences. JLS was a short term fix that was one of the most viable of a string of really bad options, but other than that he goes for guys that are very, very good. I mean, Bobby Petrino was not a crap hire. Do people think Mike Anderson was a bust?

Guys, you can't go on YOUR emotions in trying to evaluate who Jeff Long will hire. JLS was a short term solution and doesn't reflect his long term strategy when he has multiple options. You have to go by Bobby Petrino and Mike Anderson.

It will not be Art Briles. If it isn't Petersen or Gundy or Patterson, it will be someone like them. Long will likely shift upwards and not downwards.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Redhogs

Quote from: whosiskid on November 24, 2012, 11:59:45 am
Bull to Art Briles.

Look, I know a lot of guys hate Jeff Long, but ALL of the evidence shows him to be a guy who in his long term plans ONLY swings for the fences. JLS was a short term fix that was one of the most viable of a string of really bad options, but other than that he goes for guys that are very, very good. I mean, Bobby Petrino was not a crap hire. Do people think Mike Anderson was a bust?

Guys, you can't go on YOUR emotions in trying to evaluate who Jeff Long will hire. JLS was a short term solution and doesn't reflect his long term strategy when he has multiple options. You have to go by Bobby Petrino and Mike Anderson.

It will not be Art Briles. If it isn't Petersen or Gundy or Patterson, it will be someone like them. Long will likely shift upwards and not downwards.
Hope you are right...enjoy your recruiting posts by the way.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hoglady on November 24, 2012, 11:12:00 am

Sumlin didn't have a defense at Houston, so there's hope.

If we hire Briles, our best bet is probably to retain Haynes (good recruiter) and hope he learns on the job from year one to year two, which is likely. Switching up the staff for a marginally better DC probably isn't worth it. Our defense, despite graduation and rampant injuries, greatly improved during the season and 9 starters (17 of 22 on the 2-deep) will be back next year so I'd expect a pretty good defense.

HoggyCat

Few names would make me consider turning in fan card. Briles is one.

There's a very shirt list of coaches that I would definitely turn it in. We've fired two of them.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggusMaximus

Oklahawg

He's a furry?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ā€• Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  ā€“ Yogi Berra

Ā 

188fw_FyngRzrbk

Am I the only one that gets the willys every time I hear Franklin's name?  I think he is a good guy, and has some coaching ability, but for some reason, I see A LOT of HDN in him.  Please G-d, don't let Long hire Franklin.

I like Briles, but I like the fact that he is coaching at other schools.  He is a solid guy and has done a great job at Baylor, but I just hadn't envisioned him as head hog.  Granted, Long could make worse choices, but I don't think Briles is the big splash the Long needs right now.  I may be wrong. 

Either way, I will support whoever the new coach is and will continue to love our team.  I just hope I don't look back in two years and say "I saw it coming".
Be professional, be courteous, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

b0sc0b

Quote from: whosiskid on November 24, 2012, 11:59:45 am
Bull to Art Briles.

Long is just plain shifty.  If you got a winning bingo ticket, you don't waffle around, you yell "Bingo." 
Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

Hey Super

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Iwastherein1969

you know, since Jim Grobe was who Long wanted as a coach the last time we all went through this, Art Briles would be about the kind of coach that Long would get and think its a splash, home run, inside the park, base clearing type hire.

not saying Briles isnt a good coach. But that may be about as well as Arkansas can do. Most of these other "big time" coaches just use Arkansas and our money to get  fat raises but never really intend to come here.

Lets be honest, it is not an easy job when you consider the recruiting base and the division in which we play.  I bet it will be somebody like Briles or Briles himself.
I'm sick of hearing how tought this job is....horse manure, Saban has a easy row to hoe but past that, everyone else is just about on the same level...take LSU, if Bobby was coaching yesterday we win that by 2 TD's....nobody promised that life would be a piece of cake in a job where you get paid 3 to 5 million....quit the whining, Bama has the 'nuts' right now and everyone else is waiting for Saban to coach the Dallas Cowboys
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: memphishog on November 24, 2012, 08:07:40 am
I like joe, but I would like for him to be off the mark a little on this one. Briles is a great guy, and a good coach with a record of pulling programs out of the ditch, but with Peterson looming out there....82-8 since 2006 speaks for itself.

Well done one the comment and photo though! +1

Who is this Peterson everyone keeps speaking of?

UofA_Hogs

popcornhog

While I truly hope we do better than Briles, he'd be quite a bit better than Grobe.
WPS

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: UofA_Hogs on November 24, 2012, 11:21:17 pm
Wild bill, why u such a d*ck?

Because posters keep oozing over a guy whose name they can't even spell.  Chris Peterson is the AD at UALR.  Chris Petersen is the HC at Boise State.

Understand now, Son.

Red Tusk

If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

UofA_Hogs

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 24, 2012, 11:27:59 pm
Because posters keep oozing over a guy whose name they can't even spell.  Chris Peterson is the AD at UALR.  Chris Petersen is the HC at Boise State.

Understand now, Son.

Like anyone other than you knows the AD at UALR.  Get a life, everyone knows that the Peterson or Petersen or Peetee on my **** is the guy from Boise State.  It's guys like you that ruin this MSg Brd.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: UofA_Hogs on November 24, 2012, 11:31:47 pm
Like anyone other than you knows the AD at UALR.  Get a life, everyone knows that the Peterson or Petersen or Peetee on my **** is the guy from Boise State.  It's guys like you that ruin this MSg Brd.

You can always ask for your membership fee back, but with only 82 posts to your credit, you can probably get a medical redshirt because of an injured ego.

UofA_Hogs

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 24, 2012, 11:37:40 pm
You can always ask for your membership fee back, but with only 82 posts to your credit, you can probably get a medical redshirt because of an injured ego.

Sorry that I don't spend all my waking moments on this stupid crap that is about as worthless as our last HC.  Only here because I am a fan that would like to know as soon as possible the future of our program.

You fit in between the media guys that do this because they need a presence  online for work and the people like me.  That puts u into the lonesome, don't have a life or woman, spend all of your time bitching about a program that you don't even support because you didn't actually go to college.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: UofA_Hogs on November 24, 2012, 11:43:59 pm
Sorry that I don't spend all my waking moments on this stupid crap that is about as worthless as our last HC.  Only here because I am a fan that would like to know as soon as possible the future of our program.

You fit in between the media guys that do this because they need a presence  online for work and the people like me.  That puts u into the lonesome, don't have a life or woman, spend all of your time bitching about a program that you don't even support because you didn't actually go to college.

You mad?

UofA_Hogs

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 24, 2012, 11:47:09 pm
You mad?

Nope.  Just tired of posters like you that I have to read on this board

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: UofA_Hogs on November 24, 2012, 11:48:23 pm
Nope.  Just tired of posters like you that I have to read on this board

:'(

McHogLovin

Quote from: HogtoberFest on November 24, 2012, 07:50:27 am
Talked to Joe Schaad at the game. He said Gruden has a house in Arkansas and Cowher was at the game.

Then we stopped joking and he said he thought it would be Briles.

I would quit over Briles.  Not doing the KC Chiefs perennial loser thing again.  It took years to shake them.  We sign Briles and let me go ahead and say it for the sunshine pumpers...."Buh Bye". 

McHogLovin

a lot of assumptions in that post. 

Wild Bill Hog

McHogLovin

Most the kids going to college these days are wasting their time and money.  I have these kids come in to apply all the time for simple work and good pay.  Yet most of them aren't worth a crap. And we're talking law students, engineers, architects, etc. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: McHogLovin on November 25, 2012, 12:01:51 am
Most the kids going to college these days are wasting their time and money.  I have these kids come in to apply all the time for simple work and good pay.  Yet most of them aren't worth a crap. And we're talking law students, engineers, architects, etc. 

Odds are they're actually wasting their parents' money.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 24, 2012, 11:37:40 pm

IOU a +1 after the holidays... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

devildoghawg

Quote from: McHogLovin on November 25, 2012, 12:01:51 am
Since we are on the topic, can I get a job?
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

McHogLovin

Quote from: devildoghawg on November 25, 2012, 12:10:58 am
Since we are on the topic, can I get a job?

Are u smarter than a 5th grader?  Because these students rolling in sure as hell aren't. 

Smithian

If the A list candidates like Patterson, Petersen, Gundy, etc all say no then I would be behind a hire like Briles if he hired a good defensive staff.

The man has built great offenses everywhere he has been. At Baylor his first defensive coordinator absolutely sucked and they got nothing out of recruiting. Now Phil Bennett for some reason has no idea how to defend a spread offense.

Art Briles has great roots in Texas, has torn it up offensively at Houston and Baylor, and fits the character profile the Hogs want.