• 378,315 Topics
• 21,027 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 ... 350   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 658650 times)

deblaylock06

Re: Road Trips
« Reply #9800 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:29 pm »

I JUST posted a thread offering restaurant suggestions.  As far as hotels go...I'm not too sure.  Hampton Inn hotels are probably the best quality for the money.  Their rooms go for around 100 a night.  But it really depends on how much money you want to spend.

deblaylock06

« Reply #9801 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:34 pm »

Thinking about making the trip up there and just wondering what are some good hotels and places to eat there

BTW...did you go to Morrilton HS?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

Devil_Dog

• Senior
  • "Got Dat Wood"
« Reply #9802 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:34 pm »

BTW...did you go to Morrilton HS?

I sure did

deblaylock06

« Reply #9803 on: November 07, 2012, 10:39:16 pm »

When did you graduate?  My dad went to High School and graduated from there?  We still go back to visit my grandma who lives in Atkins every winter.  What are you doing near South Carolina?

Did you find my thread about food places? oh and I just noticed you wrote Columbus in the header.  Did you mean Columbia?  I was assuming you meant Columbia since that's where the game will be played. 

Devil_Dog

• Senior
  • "Got Dat Wood"
« Reply #9804 on: November 07, 2012, 11:41:51 pm »

When did you graduate?  My dad went to High School and graduated from there?  We still go back to visit my grandma who lives in Atkins every winter.  What are you doing near South Carolina?

Did you find my thread about food places? oh and I just noticed you wrote Columbus in the header.  Did you mean Columbia?  I was assuming you meant Columbia since that's where the game will be played. 

Check your pm

Slimac4

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9805 on: November 07, 2012, 11:53:31 pm »

Thinking about making the trip up there and just wondering what are some good hotels and places to eat there

My family and I are making the trip over. We're having a fantastic sports weekend. Getting to see my sisters play for Ohio st bball team in the carrier classic and then the football game. It's my little bro's first away game so he's pretty stoked. Just hope the team comes to play for 4 quarters, I know that's a lot to ask these days.

hogfan064

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #9806 on: November 08, 2012, 06:11:06 am »

With it being so late everything downtown is probably booked.  Try the Irmo/Harbison area.   Anything on Harbison Blvd, Lake Murray Blvd, or Columbiana Avenue would be good. 

Stay away from the Two Notch Road area.

thirrdegreetusker

• All-American Hogvillian
looking for I-40 travel advice
« Reply #9807 on: November 08, 2012, 09:11:20 am »

Am going to a HS playoff game tomorrow in West Memphis. Someone told me I-40 has construction east of Little Rock, slowing traffic. Is the jam bad enough to look for detours? I will traveling in mid-late afternoon Friday. I appreciate any help.

racingpossum

• Varsity
Re: looking for I-40 travel advice
« Reply #9808 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:01 am »

Take the Brinkley exit. Then turn south and go down and hit Hwy. 70 to west Memphis. Hwy. 70 runs parallel to I-40.

DEVIL DOG HOG

• Grandpa's hayride
« Reply #9809 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:22 am »

I have gone through there with no problem.  I would leave home a little earlier than normal, there are slow downs and sight-seers. 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Meet me at The Mesh Point
« Reply #9810 on: November 08, 2012, 09:29:29 am »

Take the Brinkley exit. Then turn south and go down and hit Hwy. 70 to west Memphis. Hwy. 70 runs parallel to I-40.

Incorrect.  If he's going toward West Memphis, you're detouring him AFTER the construction.  I live in Memphis and come to central Arkansas 2-3 times a month, so I drive it constantly.

On the way to West Memphis, if you detour, get off at Carlisle and get back on at either Biscoe (the first opportunity after you cross White River), or, if a cop is posted there and won't let you because they're working in that area, Brinkley.

On the way back home, off at Brinkley and back on at Hazen.  U.S. 70 does run parallel to I-40 so it's not that inconvenient except that it's 2-lane the whole way.

I've found that the back-ups on I-40 around White River tend to pop up later in the day for some reason.  In other words, if you're traveling early morning, chances are you won't have a delay so it may be worth staying on the interstate.

GolfNut57

« Reply #9811 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:50 am »

He better exit I-40 long before he gets to the Brinkley exit. The road construction starts slowing down traffic about 40-45 miles east of Little Rock and is mainly centered around the DeValls Bluff area. If he waits until Brinkley to get off I-40 he is already pretty much past the construction area. I would suggest taking the Lonoke or Carlisle exits to find highway 70 and follow that to Brinkley and then get back on I-40 at that point.

Btw, if you do take highway 70 to go through DeValls Bluff, going east you will find a GREAT little joint called Craigs BarBQ there in Devalls Bluff on your right hand side. That place has been there forever and makes great BarBQ.

BENJAMINX

• Senior
« Reply #9812 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:00 am »

Yea, i go from Little Rock to Helena a bunch, and i get off at the Hazen exit.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #9813 on: November 08, 2012, 09:40:18 am »

Incorrect.  If he's going toward West Memphis, you're detouring him AFTER the construction.  I live in Memphis and come to central Arkansas 2-3 times a month, so I drive it constantly.

On the way to West Memphis, if you detour, get off at Carlisle and get back on at either Biscoe (the first opportunity after you cross White River), or, if a cop is posted there and won't let you because they're working in that area, Brinkley.

On the way back home, off at Brinkley and back on at Hazen.  U.S. 70 does run parallel to I-40 so it's not that inconvenient except that it's 2-lane the whole way.

I've found that the back-ups on I-40 around White River tend to pop up later in the day for some reason.  In other words, if you're traveling early morning, chances are you won't have a delay so it may be worth staying on the interstate.

^This.  Highly recommend.

HuntinHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9814 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:20 am »

Bingo.

Don't look at this as a detour, look at it as an excuse for some good BBQ and fried pie.

Kicking Wing

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #9815 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:51 am »

I agree with the Carlisle advice.  I live in that area and it is very unpredictable.  To be safe, get off at Carlisle and get back on in Brinkley.  Watch out for Ivory Billed Woodpeckers.

Hogmiser

• Senior
  • I Am Ready To Call Those Hogs!!
« Reply #9816 on: November 08, 2012, 10:04:18 am »

Am going to a HS playoff game tomorrow in West Memphis. Someone told me I-40 has construction east of Little Rock, slowing traffic. Is the jam bad enough to look for detours? I will traveling in mid-late afternoon Friday. I appreciate any help.
Rogers Heritage Fan Maybe?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #9817 on: November 08, 2012, 10:05:13 am »

Just be careful on US 70 at Night it runs through the Woods and a State WMA and Bambi does play in the road from time to time.

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #9818 on: November 08, 2012, 10:13:14 am »

Heard there was a back-up on 70 last night and Hazen to Brinkley took well over an hour.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9819 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:48 am »

Wreck according to my Momma.  If you got time stop at Craigs in DVB and get some grub for the Road.

toshortrock

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #9820 on: November 08, 2012, 10:25:37 am »

Get of Hazen exit,,and go on 70,,,get back on at brinkley,,u will b fine

josh_sec33

• Reeking of wanton jackwagonry and doing squat
« Reply #9821 on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:55 am »

What's the name of that BBQ place that won that international award? Can't remember it off the top of my head.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #9822 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

If your not too terribly in a hurry you can get on Hwy 70 there in LR off of 440, Scott exit I think, and drive 70 to Brinkley.

BadHog

« Reply #9823 on: November 08, 2012, 10:59:51 am »

EXIT 193 (DeValls Bluff)for detour TO West Memphis is the exit you need to take for the detour. The road construction begins soon after this exit. You can check the traffic flow at this exit - if it is moving then STAY ON 40 East.

The detour is clearly marked - you take Hwy 70 and get back on 40E at Biscoe

I drive this every week. Friday afternoon is pretty heavy traffice.

thirrdegreetusker

« Reply #9824 on: November 08, 2012, 11:00:08 am »

A.Ziffle

• Senior
  • Green Acres Is The Place For Me...
« Reply #9825 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:29 am »

What's the name of that BBQ place that won that international award? Can't remember it off the top of my head.

That would be Jones BBQ in Marianna.

Hankweb

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9826 on: November 08, 2012, 11:06:49 am »

Check this site on your smart phone before you get to exit 193 headed East
http://roadnow.com/i40/I-40-Arkansas-Traffic-5.html
If there are red areas exit and take 70 to Biscoe or Brinkley depending on where backup ends. Yellow or green your choice but my experience has been they're not too bad and can depend on how long of a distance shows yellow.Typically very accurate

TuskU

• Band Nerd
  • Former Potential First Round Draft Pick
« Reply #9827 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:15 am »

i came over from LR to work in Memphis this week.  i got off the Interstate at the Hazen exit and drove highway 70 to Brinkley then got back on I40.  according to the GPS, it only slowed me down about 5 minutes.  i think the GPS takes into account the slowdown for the road construction.

Hogmiser

• Senior
  • I Am Ready To Call Those Hogs!!
« Reply #9828 on: November 08, 2012, 11:14:47 am »

bingo

I can root for You Guys. I still remember when Cabot beat You Guys in 2009 or 2010 Playoffs. I don't remember. Plus i don't like West Memphis. Go Rogers Heritage beat West Memphis. :razorback:

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9829 on: November 08, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »

Craigs in DVB right on 70 !

Kicking Wing

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #9830 on: November 08, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »

It is Jones BBQ in Marianna.

Mrcoolhog55

« Reply #9831 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37:24 pm »

Make a side trip to Mean Pig BBQ in Cabot. Cabot is not far at all from I 40. You can take The Remington Exit to come to Cabot. :razorback:

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9832 on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:21 pm »

The Mean pig been on Man vs FOOD!

GolfNut57

« Reply #9833 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »

That would be Jones BBQ in Marianna.

That BarBQ place in Marianna is on the south side of downtown and has VERY limited hours. He only stays open long enough each day to sell what he has made for that day alone. As an aside, he does not sell side orders so if you are the type that likes fries with your BarBQ you are out of luck there. He only sells the bags of chips. He also sells his BarBQ on plain white bread so if you want yours on a bun you can forget that too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57429886/tiny-bar-b-q-restaurant-wins-big-food-award/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:17:26 pm by GolfNut57 »

BatesvilleHOG

• Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie and Go Southerners!!!
« Reply #9834 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:30 pm »

It is Jones BBQ in Marianna.
got a chance to eat there before a game at dollarway earlier this year. Best bbq ive ate in my life.

beebefootballfan

« Reply #9835 on: November 08, 2012, 02:14:29 pm »

Take 70 from hazen to brinkley or visa versa if heading west.  I make frequent trips back to beebe from memphis and while yes sometimes you can get through with no problems, i quit risking it the day i sat in traffic for 4 hours.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #9836 on: November 08, 2012, 02:21:45 pm »

Take 412 in Springdale and head east, you will have a delightful drive and see some beautiful scenery. At Hoxie stay on 63 and head to WM.

beebefootballfan

« Reply #9837 on: November 08, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »

Take 412 in Springdale and head east, you will have a delightful drive and see some beautiful scenery. At Hoxie stay on 63 and head to WM.

If you are coming from NWA this is the way to go.  We take 412 when we go to branson.  Easy drive. 

Tripod1

« Reply #9838 on: November 08, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »

Craigs in DeValls Bluff is worth the stop.  Even Nicks in Carlisle is good stuff.  Has good catfish as well.

Hawgrox

• 57 Channels...
« Reply #9839 on: November 08, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »

That BarBQ place in Marianna is on the south side of downtown and has VERY limited hours. He only stays open long enough each day to sell what he has made for that day alone. As an aside, he does not sell side orders so if you are the type that likes fries with your BarBQ you are out of luck there. He only sells the bags of chips. He also sells his BarBQ on plain white bread so if you want yours on a bun you can forget that too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57429886/tiny-bar-b-q-restaurant-wins-big-food-award/

This is accurate...I get up early on Saturday mornings just to try to get up there by 10:00 and sometimes then he is already closed.

He and Shemwell's in Cairo, Illinois are the only two places that I know of that use white bread instead of buns.

thirrdegreetusker

« Reply #9840 on: November 08, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »

I can root for You Guys. I still remember when Cabot beat You Guys in 2009 or 2010 Playoffs. I don't remember. Plus i don't like West Memphis. Go Rogers Heritage beat West Memphis. :razorback:

Lost to NLR in 09, so it must have been Cabot in 10. I had a nephew on the 09 team, and have different nephew on the team this year. We'll do our best. Thanks.

thirrdegreetusker

« Reply #9841 on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »

Got the travel info I needed from y'all. Thanks, everyone.

The Great Hambino

« Reply #9842 on: November 08, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »

Just stay on i40. I've driven it numerous times in the last few months, and haven't had to slow down below 60 at all throughout the construction.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Meet me at The Mesh Point
« Reply #9843 on: November 08, 2012, 03:53:52 pm »

Just stay on i40. I've driven it numerous times in the last few months, and haven't had to slow down below 60 at all throughout the construction.

I'll reiterate......early morning seems fine, but the later in the day you are traveling, the greater the chance you'll meet a long delay.

RazorTuben

• Varsity
    • Flathead2020.com
« Reply #9844 on: November 08, 2012, 04:41:05 pm »

The last two afternoons have been killer here in Hazen i live right on 70 in town. 70 looked like Branson on a Saturday night after all the shows let out.

ocsm158

• Varsity
« Reply #9845 on: November 08, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »

I believe it's COLUMBIA.

chenalhog

• Varsity
« Reply #9846 on: November 08, 2012, 07:08:29 pm »

flying there tomorrow

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #9847 on: November 08, 2012, 07:30:21 pm »

Where's Columbus?

Devil_Dog

• Senior
  • "Got Dat Wood"
« Reply #9848 on: November 08, 2012, 10:33:15 pm »

flying there tomorrow
Check your PM I have a question for you

Where's Columbus?

Oh hush you knew what I meant

stan the man

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #9849 on: November 08, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »

Depends on how much Semi truck traffic. Coming back after the game if you are planning on doing that wont be a problem staying on
I40 all the way
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 ... 350   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas