Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spread offensive, Peyton Hillis and O line

Started by mizzouman, September 14, 2006, 07:51:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

A true spread offense runs 4 receivers and a running back.  How does Peyton Hillis fit into this offense?  Also, it calls for the O Line to be mobile and not necessary big.  So, how does the current O Line fit into this offense being that they are big? 

The bottom line question is that do the Hogs have the personel to run this and if not why did Nutt hire Gus in the first place knowing that he has to win NOW? 

If you run the spread, you have to run the spread.  You CANNOT run a hybrid of it, or put it in by pieces.  It doesn't work that way.

Thoughts??

Love those Hogs

I don't know a whole lot about the spread offense, but from what I have heard about it, Hillis should thrive in it.  He can be used as a TE, H back, Fullback, and even split wide.  Hillis is a rare talent.  He is big, powerful, and can catch better than 90% of our WR's.  Many have said that we don't have the personnel to run the Spread all the time right now, I just have to take their word for it.  I do know i like using the Shotgun formation over the I formation.
Hogs 4 Life!

SPAL

we can always take backup wr's and make them linemen...what the lack in size they makeup for in mobility...somebody should run it by slapnutts.

mizzouman

Yes, Peyton is a terrific athlete, but does he have the speed to do this?  The TE in the spread isn't your typically TE.  The TE must be more like a receiver than a TE.  He really doesn't have any real blocking responsibilities other than to contain the corner who is covering him on a run.

mizzouman

Not sure putting WR as lineman is a good idea.  They still need to be 6'5, 6'6 and 290 or so, but not 340 or 350.

SPAL

Quote from: mizzouman on September 14, 2006, 08:05:20 am
Not sure putting WR as lineman is a good idea.  They still need to be 6'5, 6'6 and 290 or so, but not 340 or 350.

be careful not to step in that puddle of sarcasm that was drippin off my post...:)

Bill CHILL

well, Gus did state at the beginning of the year that he did need eight receivers to rotate in order for them to have fresh legs. I'm assuming that means four play with subs. Anyway, who cares. No offense man, but Mizzou isn't exactly in a place to condescend.  28-7

Hogs beat Vandy by double digits. Later.  :razorback:
You're born an original, so why die a copy?

Ashdownpanther

The hogs have the skilled personnel to run the spread, the O line is not up to it, as they are not even up to running the I.  For a senior laden group, their performance was slim against UTU, and none against the freshmen of USC......................... If they don't step up, they will be "Tiger Bait", and so will the HOgs, nomatter what formation they run.

Bill CHILL

Quote from: mizzouman on September 14, 2006, 08:05:20 am
Joe Dean Davenport. . . 6'7" 265 lbs. Peyton is just twenty pounds lighter, but noticabley shorter. Hillis can do whatever he wants short of O-line and QB.

HBTHogs

Gus' offense is not a "True Spread."  It never has been.  Springdale had a tailback and fullback in on most plays last year.  The fullback might end up splitting out, but Hillis can do that.

And, how do you  know you can't run a "hybrid," of the spread?  Are you a spread offense expert or something?

Bill CHILL

Quote from: Ashdownpanther on September 14, 2006, 08:09:52 am
The hogs have the skilled personnel to run the spread, the O line is not up to it, as they are not even up to running the I.  For a senior laden group, their performance was slim against UTU, and none against the freshmen of USC......................... If they don't step up, they will be "Tiger Bait", and so will the HOgs, nomatter what formation they run.
agreed. The O-line has been a let-down, and I'm friends with one of the main guys. I hate to say it, but USC dominated our line and USU did alright. We need to pull our heads out and pancake some fools.  :razorback:

mizzouman

I not an expert in that I have a PhD in it, but I do have a masters.  The whole idea of a true spread is not to spread the offense, but to spread the defense and for the defense to play man and put them on a island. 

If Gus' spread has a tailback and a fullback, than it's not a spread.  It still may be effective, but don't call it a spread.

I don't know Gus' offense, but I do know the spread and you cannot run an effective offense using it part time.  It's a full time offense and needs to be ran on EVERY play. 

If you have 3rd and goal at the 2 yard line, in a true spread, you'll still line up with 4 wideouts and a tailback, or even 5 wideouts.  It doesn't matter.

In a true spread, the offense lines up for a play.  If the OC doesn't like the play called based on the defense, then he'll call down to the sideline and another paly will be called.  There is NO huddle.  That's why I was surprised that Gus was on the sidelines.

Again, I don't know Gus' offense, but I do know the spread.

hogfan064

Peyton reminds me of former South Carolina RB Ryan Brewer.  If you remember he was the white boy who was real tough and hard to bring down. Out of Skip Holtz's spread Brewer lined up in the slot and caught lots of quick passes and some slants over the middle.  This is how you use Hillis.

mizzouman

Perhaps, but do the Hogs have anyone faster that can do the same thing?  If not, then I agree.

GuvHog

Quote from: mizzouman on September 14, 2006, 08:23:43 am
I not an expert in that I have a PhD in it, but I do have a masters.  The whole idea of a true spread is not to spread the offense, but to spread the defense and for the defense to play man and put them on a island. 

If Gus' spread has a tailback and a fullback, than it's not a spread.  It still may be effective, but don't call it a spread.

I don't know Gus' offense, but I do know the spread and you cannot run an effective offense using it part time.  It's a full time offense and needs to be ran on EVERY play. 

If you have 3rd and goal at the 2 yard line, in a true spread, you'll still line up with 4 wideouts and a tailback, or even 5 wideouts.  It doesn't matter.

In a true spread, the offense lines up for a play.  If the OC doesn't like the play called based on the defense, then he'll call down to the sideline and another paly will be called.  There is NO huddle.  That's why I was surprised that Gus was on the sidelines.

Again, I don't know Gus' offense, but I do know the spread.

I suggest you check out Miami, Florida, and Florida State. During their Championship years,
all three schools used the spread mixed with the "I" formation. I don't believe any college
has won the National Championship using the spread 100% of the time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: mizzouman on September 14, 2006, 08:28:18 am
Perhaps, but do the Hogs have anyone faster that can do the same thing?  If not, then I agree.

I believe Hillis has been clocked running a 4.45 in the 40, that's pretty fast for a guy his size.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

manofsteelhog

Who has defined our offense as a "true" spread offense?  Gus has stated from day one that his philosophy is to design a package that fits his players best and to balance that package across all aspects of the game (vertical passing, short passes, running, etc.). 

mizzouman

Those schools did not run the spread as their main offense.  The run a tradition Pro Style offense and what may look like the spread, really isn't.  I don't every remembering those teams running 4 wideouts, 1 tailback and going no huddle as their main offense.  Now, they may have ran it in certain situations, but they all were Pro Sets.

Yes, you are correct in that no one has won the NC using the spread, YET. 

Also, keep in mind that in order to run the spread, you need a deep defensive unit because there's a lot of passing and if you're not effecient in it, there's a lot of 3 and outs.

mizzouman

That's a great 40 for Peyton.  Was that timed by the staff or Otis Kirk?   :)

mizzouman

Quote from: manofsteelhog on September 14, 2006, 08:37:36 am
Who has defined our offense as a "true" spread offense?  Gus has stated from day one that his philosophy is to design a package that fits his players best and to balance that package across all aspects of the game (vertical passing, short passes, running, etc.). 

That's great, then the Hogs are not running a spread.  Again, I don't know what Gus' offense is, but what you just describe is a spread offense depending on how they line up.  It's all in how you "spread" the defense.

blake

This OL will have a hard time running this O. They had a hard time pass blocking last year. They still need to run the spread even if it cost them a loss or two. Teaching is something Guss is good at if he has the given time to do so. On the college level you have a limitation on time and if the guys do not pick it up quickly than they just need to take their lumps and stay with it. If they are going to use a hybrid this year all that will do IMO will hurt us next year. IMO the reason he is on the sideline is to have that time face to face with the O between series to teach.