Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MY THEORY ABOUT OUR OFFENSE

Started by cobb44585, September 13, 2006, 06:53:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cobb44585

We've all noticed that our offense has once again been run oriented.....almost one deminsional.  I just read an article on arsnonline.com where Nutt stated his first priority was to establish the running game.  After reading that I've came up with the theory that Nutt wants the opponents to think we are a run oriented/one deminsional team while we are silently preparing our passing game so come game time we give them a surprise passing attack......seems feisable to me.

Hugehogsfan

We are one-"deminsional"  ummm come on do you really believe that?  I mean he wants us to believe that he is running the spread and not the other way around. 

cobb44585

not sure what i believe but that seem like a good plan of attack

piglett06

One needs to read what Malzahn is saying about this subject.  He tells what is happening and I do not believe he is a dishonest man. What he says make sense.

cobb44585

piglett06

September 13, 2006, 07:09:50 pm #5 Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:17:25 pm by piglett06
My words: He is saying they are easing the modified offense into gametime activities. They will not put anything in the game until it is time. We all should be patient until the transition is in place. He expected the backlast of the new system and everyone has to just be patient.

His interview and Mitch's happened today I believe and some of the guys posted the URL. You will just need to ask and someone will pop up with it in no time. 

Very good read and it served to settled me down at least.  I know people in Springdale that know him and they all say he has very high ethics.  So just trust him. Everything is going to be a lot of fun as it progresses.  Oh, he did say they were going to open things up just a bit on Saturday. 

trufanofhogs

Well to be honest, Darren McFadden is our best player, and it behooves us to get the ball in his hands as often as possible, by whatever means possible. Get something going extremely well and everything should be easier to get going also. Under these circumstances, if you have the talent and resolve to do other things, they should work.

piglett06

September 13, 2006, 07:22:28 pm #7 Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:16:28 pm by piglett06
Mitch also said in this same story that the fans have a misconception about the offense Coach Malzahn likes to run.  He says they (the fans) seem to thing it is throwing the ball all over the field which is not true. Coach Malzahn runs as much as passes and always holds with the concept of taking what the defense gives.  We must be patient as it is coming from what Coach Malzahn is saying.

Based on this why all the lip flapping on these boards about the program being out of control?  Doesn't appear that way to me.

piglett06

September 13, 2006, 07:23:50 pm #8 Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 09:00:55 am by piglett06
Quote from: trufanofhogs on September 13, 2006, 07:16:51 pm
Well to be honest, Darren McFadden is our best player, and it behooves us to get the ball in his hands as often as possible, by whatever means possible. Get something going extremely well and everything should be easier to get going also. Under these circumstances, if you have the talent and resolve to do other things, they should work.

He noted that Darren as a strong element on the offense must be used and used a lot. The man is no dummy.

GuvHog

Quote from: piglett06 on September 13, 2006, 07:22:28 pm
Mitch also said in this same story that the fans has a misconception about the offense Coach Malzahn likes to run.  He says they (the fans) seem to thing it is throwing the ball all over the field which is not true. Coach Malzahn runs as much as passes and always holds with the concept of taking what the defense gives.  We must be patient as it is coming from what Coach Malzahn is saying.

Based on this why all the lip flapping on these boars about the program is out of control?  Doesn't appear that way to me.

Finally! A voice of reason! Good Post Piglett06.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Love those Hogs

You play with your strengths, right now, running is our strength.  As long as we can open up the passing game and do well enough to make the defense spread the field and not put 8 men in the box I will be happy.  Passing the ball effectively will do that.  We do not have to pass the ball 40 times a game to open things up.
Hogs 4 Life!

ballhog™

My theory is Nutt still wanted to call plays.  Grudgingly he gave in to pressure and hired Gus to call them.  At the first sign that the new offense wasn't hitting on all cylinders he wanted to go back to what he did in the past.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Hawgon

Quote from: ballhog on September 13, 2006, 08:36:13 pm
My theory is Nutt still wanted to call plays.  Grudgingly he gave in to pressure and hired Gus to call them.  At the first sign that the new offense wasn't hitting on all cylinders he wanted to go back to what he did in the past.

Ding, ding, we have a winner.  Why invent all kinds of ridiculous theories when the answer is a plain as Nutt's enormous ego?

mpeacock

I don't think that fans are upset and calling for 40-50 passes per game. What people, myself included, are upset about is the fact that we appeared to open the USC game in a completely new offensive set (presumably Gus's), only to return to a very familiar set against USU (very Nutt-like). Yes, Gus probably likes to run as much as pass but he tended to utilize formations with 3-4 wideouts, QB in the shotgun, and no-huddles. What went down against USU was much more like what we've seen year in and year out with HDN as OC. We all know what that has done for us the past two seasons.

sidvicious

this overall thread is one of the best on this subject in the last week or so.  not overly tainted with spew.

i'd add that i think some are overly critical of the I formation.  the I sets up to run basically any kind of play; the option, run, pass of any kind.  i'm guessing that most of the criticism directed at the I was basically a criticism of anything other than the shotgun.  i could be wrong. 

hogtheball

I played with Gus for a semester in college and he HATED the I formation (that's what we were running).  I was a tailback, so the I was great, but Gus always said you have to be able to establish the pass to get the running game going (of course, he was a reciever so you'd expect as much).  I wonder what he thinks of the I now?
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

ballhog™

There is nothing wrong with the I.  It may be the most versatile single set.  But the problem comes when you are one dimensional out of it.  It would be the same thing with the shotgun or any formation.  If you can't run at least a little or mix it up you won't be able to win consistently against better opponents.  Texas Tech flings it all over the field, but I don't think they will win any championships as long as they have a weak running game.  We could have lined up against Utah State and probably scored 30+ running last years offense, but what good is it to only beat teams you should beat?  I get tired of having to get an "upset" to beat a good team. I want an offense that can find the other teams' weakness and be able to exploit it whether it be with the pass or run...not just run something over and over and hope we wear the other team down or bust a big play once in awhile.  Gus' offense has a history of being successful in the air AND running.  It may not be the type of running game the coaches' are used to.. but there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

hogfan4life56

against utah state, 4 times we had 3 and out, all 4 times darren mcfadden didnt touch the ball.  mcfadden needs to get the ball 25 times a game.

hog caller

DMac needs to get his touches 25to 30 plays a game but Mitch needs to connect to the Te the slot backs and WR's for this game to be a success.

i look for it to happen Saturday the HUNH and an opened up passing game. it's hard for me to believe with all the closed practices and the way the UtS game went that we will open up wqith the HUNH system to start the game.

Mitch wasn't used to running form the I formation last week and he said he never got in rythm
hes a week older and a few prqactices better this week than last. i expect exciting things to happen but that's just me.

Old Tusk

How many times did DMAC touch the ball last year? How many games did we win?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

PIGINAPOKE

Was the smoke draw made for the I or the spread? I feel for 
none of the above.

It was devised for a lack of knowledge about SEC football and how to coach at this level..Period. Might as well call it the "off tackle I am out of ideas play"?

I believe Gus will bring us around in time as long as he is not blindsided by Mr. Smoke.

I want to give it time..But after 8 long years of the same ol crap..I and others have grown hoarse from callin them hogs..Only to be let down again and again..What does it really take to make us all feel like winners again?

8 Years is long enough to build an Aircraft carrier.But not long enough to have a winning coach in the ncaa? To me that is b.s.

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

trufanofhogs

Quote from: PIGINAPOKE on September 13, 2006, 09:49:21 pm
Was the smoke draw made for the I or the spread? I feel for 
none of the above.

It was devised for a lack of knowledge about SEC football and how to coach at this level..Period. Might as well call it the "off tackle I am out of ideas play"?

I believe Gus will bring us around in time as long as he is not blindsided by Mr. Smoke.

I want to give it time..But after 8 long years of the same ol crap..I and others have grown hoarse from callin them hogs..Only to be let down again and again..What does it really take to make us all feel like winners again?

8 Years is long enough to build an Aircraft carrier.But not long enough to have a winning coach in the ncaa? To me that is b.s.

Yes. 8 years is plenty long enough!

HoginBigD

Gus' offense has a history of being successful in the air AND running.
Gus' high school offense has only seen the NCAA level twice. You can bring in the best offensive coordinator from college or pro, if you do not have the players to execute the plays, it does not matter. I think we have the QB in Mitch. We have the running backs. We may have the receivers in the freshman class. I am not sure we have the offensive line to run block or pass block. The O-line does not have the strength to move the SEC D-lines we will face in Bama, Auburn, Tenn, LSU. Gus was not hired for his offense. He was hired to get the recruits. Barry Switzer, Butch Davis, Jimmy Johnson or Lou Holtz will tell you the same. And there is nothing wrong with making a hire like that. Gus must show that he can teach at the college level and continue to recruit the big time player. Remember, HDN is still the Head Coach. He is going to give the instructions as to a game plan. The list of plays to be called in each situation will be cleared with HDN during the week. Gus gets to call the plays from that list during the game. Do not fool yourself if you think Gus is in charge of the offense. I hope the O-line can improve each game. If so, the rest of this season will be fun.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: HoginBigD on September 13, 2006, 09:59:27 pm
Gus' offense has a history of being successful in the air AND running.
Gus' high school offense has only seen the NCAA level twice. You can bring in the best offensive coordinator from college or pro, if you do not have the players to execute the plays, it does not matter. I think we have the QB in Mitch. We have the running backs. We may have the receivers in the freshman class. I am not sure we have the offensive line to run block or pass block. The O-line does not have the strength to move the SEC D-lines we will face in Bama, Auburn, Tenn, LSU. Gus was not hired for his offense. He was hired to get the recruits. Barry Switzer, Butch Davis, Jimmy Johnson or Lou Holtz will tell you the same. And there is nothing wrong with making a hire like that. Gus must show that he can teach at the college level and continue to recruit the big time player. Remember, HDN is still the Head Coach. He is going to give the instructions as to a game plan. The list of plays to be called in each situation will be cleared with HDN during the week. Gus gets to call the plays from that list during the game. Do not fool yourself if you think Gus is in charge of the offense. I hope the O-line can improve each game. If so, the rest of this season will be fun.
Great post...You do not want to let go of the rope..But it is shreddin..Nice job on the post..
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

arklahoman

People do realize being successful with an offense in high school v. college isn't an accurate comparison, right?
Being successful with the GM offense at Springdale or Shiloh, where he had a handful of athletes that were superior to the rest of those in his class and creating an offensive juggernaut is one thing.
Taking overall inferior athletes, and replicating it on the D-1 level for a BSC conference team is another.
I'm not saving in time GM can't create that at the D-1 level, but his presence and the presence of key true frosh don't mean it will happen overnight.
I'm no fan of HDN, but with or without his meddling, it's going to take time for UA to recruit the athletes to make it successful or have success with a new system using the players available (although that can't be used as a crutch).
That being said, I understand the frustration with not making more effort in the USU game to try work on expanding the offense with the athletes on hand.

hogtheball

Quote from: arklahoman on September 13, 2006, 10:16:56 pm
People do realize being successful with an offense in high school v. college isn't an accurate comparison, right?
Being successful with the GM offense at Springdale or Shiloh, where he had a handful of athletes that were superior to the rest of those in his class and creating an offensive juggernaut is one thing.
Taking overall inferior athletes, and replicating it on the D-1 level for a BSC conference team is another.
I'm not saving in time GM can't create that at the D-1 level, but his presence and the presence of key true frosh don't mean it will happen overnight.
I'm no fan of HDN, but with or without his meddling, it's going to take time for UA to recruit the athletes to make it successful or have success with a new system using the players available (although that can't be used as a crutch).
That being said, I understand the frustration with not making more effort in the USU game to try work on expanding the offense with the athletes on hand.

You do have to admit, Gus made Rhett Lashlee the most successful QB in USA high school history.  Not exactly overwhelming opponents with talent.  How is it that Springdale, AR (population 50,000 or so - 49,850 of which are white) can have the most talent in 1A and 5A at virtually the same time?   Give Gus big-time credit as a high-school coach whether you believe he'll succeed in college or not.

Oh, and Shiloh was one of the worst programs in the state when he took the job.   
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HatfieldHog

You know, it's amazing to me at the obvious nature of what is happening here! 

-The media tells us that Nutt was forced to hire Malzahn, who runs an offense that Nutt is certainly not sold on.
-Nutt is a Run-First, ask questions later coach.  He is truly scared of the open passing attack, and does not believe that it can win consistently.
-We have a great contradiction of philosophies, that is not hard to detect.

Now, after we get trounced against USC, we go back to the "power running game" and the Media tells us that it's Gus that is wanting to do it.

You look at the evidence, and come up with your answer!  Which is the most believeable?  What do you think that Malzahn is gonna say?  "Yeah,
ole Huston is just too nervous for my offense, so he told me that I had to start running the ball exclusively!" 

If he says that, he is unemployed.  Sure, he is gonna say it's his call, so he can deflect the critisim from his boss.

It's just more of Nutt making himself comfortable, and the fans miserable.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

piglett06

Well I guess you can guess all you want, but Coach Malzahn is saying all is progressing according to plan.  I for one will believe him for sure over wild speculation.

piglett06

Quote from: Hawgon on September 13, 2006, 08:37:48 pm

Ding, ding, we have a winner.  Why invent all kinds of ridiculous theories when the answer is a plain as Nutt's enormous ego?

Again just speculation on your part.  Read what Coach Malzahn has to say and learn.

jackwalker

Quote from: piglett06 on September 13, 2006, 11:21:04 pm
Quote from: Hawgon on September 13, 2006, 08:37:48 pm

Again just speculation on your part.  Read what Coach Malzahn has to say and learn.

I understand why you would say that.  But you must understand, Malzahn is not like Nutt. Nutt has no tact or class.

Malzahn isn't going to whine to the media about Nutt's interfering.

Why should he?  It's obvious to everyone but the most blind hugger.  Gus is just going to take the high roach and let Nutt hang himself.
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

piglett06

Well you have to believe in someone and not jump at ever suggestion that something sinister is going on. At times you listen not only to what an individual says, but the way they say it. I detect no alternative motives in Coach Malzahn's conversations. So why second guess him.