Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

9.13 SportsRap - It's all the media's fault

Started by MF, September 13, 2006, 05:16:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MF

They say they feel that the "team" is going to be completely off limits to the media before too long.  This is based on comments from Houston Nutt after practice yesterday and speculation as to the content of a team meeting that caused practice to start 30 minutes late.  Clay is at practice and said that the team and the coaches were "fired up" when practice started.  Speculation is that HDN is using all the negativity to motivate the team.  Us against them and let's prove them wrong type stuff.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

pioneerbasketball

jman

Chucks show, talking with clay henry.  Both say they have a feeling something is fixing to happen on the hill.  They think that the coaches and frank on the hill are gonna shut the media out because of all the anti nutt reporting over the past 48 hours.  chuck says, " well, when some media writers take information off the internet that is untrue and write about it, what do you expect the coaches to do?  They are gonna close the door to us media"  Chuck also makes comments about some of the other shows have been making bad comments and putting out bad information.  Chuck is a fool!  everyone on here should bombard his show with anti nutt calls and watch nutts, I mean chucks head spin! :puke:

jman

JIHawg

It worked for Nolan but, then again, Nutt is no Nolan.

1stwordswerewoopig

It seems to me that locking out the media would only lead to MORE misinformation.

pioneerbasketball

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: 1stwordswerewoopig on September 13, 2006, 05:19:29 pm
It seems to me that locking out the media would only lead to MORE misinformation.

BINGO!

Tusks

I think I'm going to get a hobby.

This thing just gets weirder and weirder.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hoot72

I don't know why you believe that, it seems as if no one on here believes the media anyway.

Jerry Swinefeld

I'm listening online, and I'm no marketing genius but...

I hardly think that the Sports Rap listening audience is the best target for Vagisil ads.

gohawgzgo

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on September 13, 2006, 05:23:39 pm

I hardly think that the Sports Rap listening audience is the best target for Vagisil ads.

No your wrong there.  You can use vagisil on Otis's Mangina
F#ckem if they can't take a joke.

nwarazfan

September 13, 2006, 05:33:23 pm #13 Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 05:35:13 pm by nwarazfan
CHUCK'S COMMENTS TO BEGIN HIS SHOW DISGUSTS ME.  IF OUR STAFF CAN'T HANDLE THE FIRST REAL NEGATIVE MEDIA THEY'VE RECEIVED IN 8+ YEARS, THEN GET THE **** OUT!  UNBELIEVABLE HOW THEY'VE BEEN CODDLED YET NOW ARE TRYING TO CONTROL THE MEDIA.  AND BARRETT AND HENRY ARE FALLING RIGHT IN LINE.

PLEASE CLOSE OFF PRACTICES AND TELL IRWIN AND WALLY HIS REPORTERS CAN'T GO AND FALDON AND BO....THEN SEE WHAT KIND OF STORIES AND OPINIONS YOU GET!

AND I KNOW I'M IN ALL CAPS- ITS BECAUSE I'M FREAKIN' PO'ED AND YELLING.

HogFaninGA

Frank and Houston support censorship.  Typical.  When the going get tough, they hide.

Patch

After hearing a few of the callers who've called in recently, I'd say it's the perfect audience. What a bunch of hatchet wounds.

pseudorabies

The last act of a coach who is on his way out is to lock everything down and limit the media.  Mark it down.  These are the end days.

jman

Chuck trying to spin every once of blame onto the callers of his show.  We are impatient, we caused all the QB controversey cause we werent happy with rojo, we werent happy with mustain.  No Chuck!  We are tierd of losing to good teams 50-14 and beating very very bad teams 20-0 on our own home field.  He says wait a minute.  look at the conclusions your jumping to after 2 ballgames.  Hes getting confused now, let him keep talking and give him a little more rope cause hes about to hang himself

An old hog fanatic

I think this is nothing but an empty threat from the Hill.  To ban the media would be the biggest disaster they have ever seen.  It is time to call them out.  Make them either do it or back off the media.  I don't believe that even Frank is that crazy.  If he is and does allow it to happen, I just hope his retirement package is up to date because they will be the end of it all.  Frankly, I think most of the media still seems to be in the Athletic Department's back pocket.  To ban a media type because they are critical of a coach or program is just unheard of in this day and age.  I honestly hope they try it. 

In the meantime, Chuck's Momma needs to tan his backside for coming out with this sort of crap.  He certainly should know better.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

gopigsgo

Maybe the huggers can go up there and walk hand in hand around RRS in protest and get them to let the press back in!

GuvHog

Maybe it's because they're sick and tired of all the freaken lies that have been told about
Frank, HDN, his staff, and the players.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BloodRedHog

Quote from: pseudorabies on September 13, 2006, 05:37:26 pm
The last act of a coach who is on his way out is to lock everything down and limit the media.  Mark it down.  These are the end days.

I have to agree...Nutt is desperate to try anything to save his hide...I'm sure Alex, who came from the NFL with its blistering media coverage, is completely embarrassed by this sophomoric display by a head coach.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Patch

I seriously hope Broyles and Nutt kick the media out for good. The backlash would be so great, that we'd be rid of both of them by Christmas.

BloodRedHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 13, 2006, 05:49:29 pm
Maybe it's because they're sick and tired of all the freaken lies that have been told about

Yes, that confrontaton between Markuson and Gus during the game was complete fiction.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: gohawgzgo on September 13, 2006, 05:31:24 pm

You are wrong for that...I'm still laughing.

TOM "tbw1"

Arkansas is one of the few programs left that have a fawning media.  That is why there is so much surprise now.  For the first time, HDN's program is being examined by the media and not being just accepted as "special".

All you have to do is look at the archives of the Tuscaloosa, Birmingham or Mobile papers during the deBose years or Shula's tenure now.

All the Tenneesee media was in a meltdown in a 5-6 year, suppose they had back to back years.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

nwarazfan

Quote from: BloodRedHog on September 13, 2006, 05:52:21 pm

Yes, that confrontaton between Markuson and Gus during the game was complete fiction.

Ignore GUV.  He's just here to derail threads.

Biggus Piggus

If they use us as motivation, great.  They need something.  I just want to win.  I'll take it now.  That would be fine.  Win now.  I care about the Razorbacks, and I love it when the Razorbacks win.  I don't root for the Razorbacks because of Houston Nutt.  I don't let my dire verdict on Nutt interfere with my love for the Hogs.  Hogs must win, or my life isn't quite right.  That's a fanatic.  I have not moved to the point where Nutt must lose or I'm unhappy.  If this season craps out, I'm definitely there.  Not yet.  Not on Sept. 13 (17th anniversary of my first date with the woman who's now my wife).
[CENSORED]!

Photog

Maybe if Frank, HDN and staff would start telling the public somthing instead of manipulating it.   There wouldn't be so much speculation. For example why doesn't HDN have a call in radio show? What does he have to hide? (yeah we all know the answer to that except for the huggers) Frank would never let Nutt have a call in show because he is afraid of what Nutt would say think about it everytime he opens his mouth he says somthing stupid. Come on where there is smoke there is fire and there is alot of smoke around the hill this year heck I can see it from Springdale. I'm not saying that they should come out and say what the problems are on the coaching staff. Maybe theycould say yes there are some problems its hard for egos at this level to get along but we are working on it. anything just tell us somthing I feel like a mushroom. The only thing I get is what I get on here and from people I know that are connected to the program and I don't know many of them.

You think its bad now shut the press out and it will get really bad.

Of my soap box now!

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: gohawgzgo on September 13, 2006, 05:31:24 pm

LMAO

SPAL

Quote from: PorkOpine on September 13, 2006, 05:56:41 pm

Who lied?  Even if someone did lie, should the media be banned as a whole?  Is everyone lying?  If so there may be more to these conspiracy theories than previously thought.

Please, please release the clutch and engage your brain before posting.

nobody lied, nobody. But nutt's nutts are starting to shrivel because for the first time in 9 years, there are some media actually steppin across the line and questioning the great untouchable nutt, and he cant deal with that in addition to all he has to deal with. Sort of like..."this is my basketball and if we cant play horse with my ball, I'm goin home and you cant play with me."

TOM "tbw1"

Our athletic director testified under oath that he did not tell the truth about coaches until he fired them.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

mikeirwin

The last coach who pulled this was Nolan Richardson.

uagrad1998

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 13, 2006, 05:33:23 pm
CHUCK'S COMMENTS TO BEGIN HIS SHOW DISGUSTS ME.  IF OUR STAFF CAN'T HANDLE THE FIRST REAL NEGATIVE MEDIA THEY'VE RECEIVED IN 8+ YEARS, THEN GET THE **** OUT!  UNBELIEVABLE HOW THEY'VE BEEN CODDLED YET NOW ARE TRYING TO CONTROL THE MEDIA.  AND BARRETT AND HENRY ARE FALLING RIGHT IN LINE.

PLEASE CLOSE OFF PRACTICES AND TELL IRWIN AND WALLY HIS REPORTERS CAN'T GO AND FALDON AND BO....THEN SEE WHAT KIND OF STORIES AND OPINIONS YOU GET!

what did he say at the beginning?  I missed it.  Thanks
DARKSIDER SINCE  2001 AND D#$N PROUD OF IT

[Spicoli has had a pizza delivered to class]
Mr. Hand: Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?
Jeff Spicoli: Learning about Cuba, and having some food.

Jeff Spicoli: No shirt, no shoes...
Jeff and Stoner Buds: No dice! Ohhhh.
Brad Hamilton: Right. Learn it. Know it. Live it.  Jeff Spicoli: He's the full hot orator.

uagrad1998

Quote from: pseudorabies on September 13, 2006, 05:37:26 pm

Do you think that will before Sat? After Sat?  Interesting perception......
DARKSIDER SINCE  2001 AND D#$N PROUD OF IT

[Spicoli has had a pizza delivered to class]
Mr. Hand: Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?
Jeff Spicoli: Learning about Cuba, and having some food.

Jeff Spicoli: No shirt, no shoes...
Jeff and Stoner Buds: No dice! Ohhhh.
Brad Hamilton: Right. Learn it. Know it. Live it.  Jeff Spicoli: He's the full hot orator.

Hollywood_HOGan

i know this is probably getting old but...can i have a link?

Stamford Hog

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 13, 2006, 06:39:41 pm
The last coach who pulled this was Nolan Richardson.

Can someone bait Houston into saying "if they pay me my money, they can take my job tomorrow".  I'd cut a check for $1000 to the foundation tomorrow to pay that bill off.

ghg1

You are the perfect example of why "smite ability" should be returned to this board.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 13, 2006, 05:33:23 pm

I have a pharmacist that will get you some prozac....

Stamford Hog

As someone who grew up in the Dallas area and now lives in the New York area, this concept of the media being unfair to the football program or to Houston specifically is sickening.  The majority of the Arkansas media is so far in the back pocket of the athletic department that it looks and sounds like government propoganda being delivered.  Hearing anything objective about the program was limited to a select few, in fact, the only two that come to mind are Mike Irwin and Rob Keys.  Now Wally has moved from HDN press secretary to being somewhat objective, but I still wouldn't call him being overly critical at this point.  The radio call in shows are staunch defenders of the program, in fact they both have people on the Athletic department/broadcast network payroll (Rick and Chuck). 

HedgeDweller

When they have got work to do, and they do, I really don't think there is any obligation for the practice sessions to be open to the media with the associated distractions.
The coaches should talk to the press after practice as a matter of courtesy to the fans - but they are not even obligated to that I wouldn't think.
As far as putting the players 'off limits', HDN is not the first to ever do that.
I'm am not 'hugging' him (as you will say) by saying this, it's just the way it is.

Buck Ocean

QuoteI have a pharmacist that will get you some prozac....

I could use some hydrocodone cough syrup while your passin out scripts....
Think like a Jedi

snoutfull

Wish someone at the Demazette had nutts enough to return the favor.  If Nutt wants to shut out the media, I think it would be classic to wake up Sunday morning to see a front page spread of ASU or UCA with no mention of UA vs. Vandy.

Mr. Prozac

dana caldwell

Quote from: tbw1 on September 13, 2006, 06:23:29 pm
Our athletic director testified under oath that he did not tell the truth about coaches until he fired them.

u are correct. i was there. caught in lots more mistruths, too.

oldbooniehog

Yet another symptom of the ugly, sick situation up there on the hill.

Again, worrying about the details of this latest move is a lot like a meth addict being really, really worried about an outbreak of severe acne.

This latest move is just details.

But it is another symptom of the ugly, screwed-up truth that underlies everything associated with Razorback football right now.

Nothing will fundamentally change on the Hill until everyone associated with this mess, starting with Frank Broyles himself, is purged, the proverbial slate wiped proverbially clean, and everything started over.

oldbooniehog

dana caldwell

September 14, 2006, 07:47:01 am #47 Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 07:51:12 am by dana caldwell
i have gone back and perused the last couple of days' worth of stories on The Slop and i see NOTHING (with the exception of caudle's column and he's not even a sportswriter) even remotely critical, unfortunately. even faldon's lauded column (which was good work) hardly dripped with acid.

nutt gets handled with kid gloves by the bulk of the arkansas media (and of course it's worse than kid gloves with the fawners) and responds by throwing punches?

maybe one day he'll be in a major market where he will have to deal with seriously critical columnists and reporters who will dig to china to find dirt. but somehow i doubt that!

what a joke.

if the players are still off limits, this, of course, will lead to more wild (and probably true) speculation. it should also lead to a media boycott, totally across the board. really.

chiefsfan

I agree with dana caldwell, The media isnt really that hard on Nutt right now.     Now that being said, this is probably the most pressure he has had since he started here 9 years ago...  But by no means is the media being really hard on him...  In fact I would argue they are taking it a little too easy on him...

Look at Chuck Amato at NC State for example
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HognotinMemphis

Not many know that last year Nutt wanted to keep the fans out of the games. Finally, Broyles told him that was not an option as it would cost the university millions in lost ticket and concession revenues.

My point is, Nutt's judgement is not very good and it will be his downfall soon enough.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.