Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robert Shields - Rumor started: Vanderbilt loss could open trap door for Nutt

Started by Robert Shields, September 11, 2006, 09:59:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Rumor Started: Vanderbilt Loss Could Open Trap Door for Nutt

Robert Shields

Congratulations to the Razorback football program for winning its second victory in Fayetteville since the 2004 campaign.

Against Utah State, I liked seeing the unbalanced offense with a two-to-one ratio of run versus pass, which lessens the burden on true freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain. If the Hogs are throwing more than 30 passes in a game, I can tell you who is going to win. In this game, though, the Hogs reestablished the ground game and maybe with it some physical toughness. The team will need it for this weekend against Vanderbilt, which looms as among the biggest games in Houston Nutt's career.

Saturday's push to reestablish the ground game gives credence to an Internet message board rumor last week that Frank Broyles had pulled the plug on Gus Wunderkind's flying offense. I don't believe for a minute that is what really happened and fully believe Malzahn is calling this offense. Otherwise, why would offensive line coach Mike Markuson be yelling at him on the sideline when things go wrong?

But rumors are nothing new to UA athletics. Just last week, Wally Hall wrote in a column that defensive coordinator Reggie Herring complained about the Razorback offensive game plan the week before USC and the disagreement became so large that Broyles had to intervene. Who knows if there is any truth to that rumor, but that is what Wally wrote.

Rumors have abounded lately, and who can forget the rumor last spring that grew so large that Nutt, Malzahn, and Jim Lindsey all had to deny it to the media in an attempt to put the gossip to rest. If you forgot, the rumor was that Malzahn was not happy with the way things were going in spring practice and offered his resignation.

Of course, such gossip would be nonsense at any other major program, but not in the sports-industrial complex on the Hill. Part of what fuels these rumors is that everyone, including members of the media in Fayetteville, wants to believe they are in the insiders circle.

So how do these rumors get their legs? I believe it comes in great part by the lack of transparency in the Program. The Program has the feel of being run by a clandestine group who had its moment in the '60s and now sits around today smoking cigars and drinking brandy in a dark mahogany-wood boardroom with Razorback-red carpet.

This image comes from the perception that the Premier of Razorback Athletics meddles in the football coach's affairs. The classic example some fans reach for is the trip Ken Hatfield took to Hawaii with the team, and while he was gone it was let known some of his very close assistants had to go. This single event began the demise of Razorback football that we are still feeling today.

Some fans point even to last year as a more recent event of meddling. People change for one of two reasons: one reason is forced change and the other learned change. Nutt loved calling his own plays and relished that part of being a head coach, yet he hired an offensive coordinator and gave up the play calling. For some, that never had the feel of learned change but the exact opposite since in the previous eight years there was no indication Nutt wanted to give up that job responsibility.

Even simple things are blocked from the public, from black tarps covering practices to the star running back being hurt and magically playing in the season opener. Then there was the bizarre scenario just a week ago of the starting quarterback being moved to receiver. This would not be normal at any major school, but somehow it fits this scenario of the smoky clandestine boardroom group.

Some feel the lack of transparency played a part in the longevity of the NCAA investigation of the football program just a few years ago. If my memory serves me, it was one of the longest investigations in the history of the NCAA. Some just refer to the investigation as the "cloud," as in a cloud that is just hanging over as the fans prayed that the rain and the thunder would quietly pass them by, but it did not. Years passed before that cloud disappeared.

Who can also forget that the UofA's own report of the investigation was held up at the SEC headquarters under Roy Kramer's chair. OK, I made the chair part up. I am not certain where it was held at SEC HQ. But it was so well hidden for so long, the statewide paper was only able to get hold of it through an FOI when the report was passing back through the UofA.

And then there was the Nolan Richardson trial and how it really boiled down to who knew what when, which hints of a failure of transparency. All this leads some fans to think the operation on the Hill is very clandestine in those "hallowed halls" of the Broyles Complex.

I believe there to be an enormous amount of doubt on the part of some fans regarding what the Politburo on the Hill puts out as the truth. You know, such as "don't worry it's only a fire at Chernobyl." And some fans often doubt its own media, as the Incestuous Razorback Press Clique is controlled like TASS. You know, such as "don't worry the fire is under control."

The quarterback change last week felt too much like the old "Waternoose Jump and Growl" to get the fans attention to ring up attendance. Remember that this program has not won during a period when it was promised that "winning will be habitual" and a national championship was under construction.

The "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain as he keeps pulling the levers" has become a soap opera on the Hill and is more entertaining than the hard-luck team. This is how the rumors get started.

So here goes the next episode of the soap opera according to me. If Nutt loses again to Vanderbilt, the all powerful Oz is going to pull the lever on the trap door below Nutt.

Send the "Waternoose Jump and Growl" reference to fromthebench@yahoo.com

HognotinMemphis

The team will need it for this weekend against Vanderbilt, which looms as among the biggest games in Houston Nutt's career.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! So sad, it's hilarious.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hawgon

We have truly come full circle.  When Nutt got here the biggest question was could we beat SMU, a bad division I program.  Now, nine years later, the biggest question of the year revolves around and the fate of the entire coaching staff depends on a win against Vanderbilt, another bad division I program.

Good night it sucks to be a Razorback fan.

brooks74

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 11, 2006, 10:35:10 am
The team will need it for this weekend against Vanderbilt, which looms as among the biggest games in Houston Nutt's career.

That is all I needed to read.  Sad day for Arkansas football.  Boy, I am sure glad we finally got Vandy on the schedule!

HogHillbilly

I can not believe we are talking about losing to Vandy in back to back seasons..........My grandfather is rolling over in his grave...........
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

DeltaBoy

A loss to a Cutler less Vandy should get Nutt canned before the Fans all leave the Stadium.  :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogFaninGA

Quote from: brooks74 on September 11, 2006, 10:41:06 am

That is all I needed to read.  Sad day for Arkansas football.  Boy, I am sure glad we finally got Vandy on the schedule!

Thank you Nutt.  You will leave a wonderful legacy when you are finally gone at Arkansas.  Most people are finally realizing the fraud you really are.

HawgPilot

razorback44

Quote from: HawgPilot on September 11, 2006, 10:53:30 am
CAn someone post HDN record at Murry St. and Boise?

???

31-16 at Murray State and one blistering season in Boise State where he guided home a 5-6 team which did more with less talent.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

cmakrzrbak

???

Not good enough to be offered an SEC HC position.  Not by a long shot.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Hawgon

Quote from: razorback44 on September 11, 2006, 11:02:46 am

???

31-16 at Murray State and one blistering season in Boise State where he guided home a 5-6 team which did more with less talent.

Actually, he was 4-7 at BSU but they got a forfeit after the fact from someone.

DukeOfPork

???

Actually, 4-7 with one of their losses switched later due to an ineligible player

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hawgon on September 11, 2006, 11:11:03 am

???

You beat me to it.

DukeOfPork

I love this excerpt from that piece:

QuoteOf course, such gossip would be nonsense at any other major program, but not in the sports-industrial complex on the Hill. Part of what fuels these rumors is that everyone, including members of the media in Fayetteville, wants to believe they are in the insiders circle.

So how do these rumors get their legs? I believe it comes in great part by the lack of transparency in the Program. The Program has the feel of being run by a clandestine group who had its moment in the '60s and now sits around today smoking cigars and drinking brandy in a dark mahogany-wood boardroom with Razorback-red carpet.

The "Sports-Industrial Complex" is an excellent term for what they have up there.  It is a corporation.

Fatty McGee

Every school's athletics are a corporation.  Most are just run better.  We've got Ken Lay and the boys while Georgia has Jack Welch, for example.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

geoffhog

"Part of what fuels these rumors is that everyone, including members of the media in Fayetteville, wants to believe they are in the insiders circle"

The best line Shields ever wrote.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

maxsl8er

Man I used to smite you on a regular basis, but now, now it feels as if I'm making a new friend. It's been a few days since I've disagreed. It's unfortunate that we will have to lose a few more games or even seasons for change.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on September 11, 2006, 11:11:03 am

???

The "fifth win" by forfeit was over someone or something called a Cal State-Northridge.  On the field, Northridge put up 63 points on Nutt's Broncos...

hogmary

Nutt got his wish...we've got Vanderbilt back on the schedule.  I am really worried about this game.
It is really bad when you lose to Kentucky 2 years in a row and maybe Vanderbilt.  I am tired of losing and hearing "Wait until next year".  When is next year?
You do realize that the win over Utah State was the first in Razorback Stadium in over a year?  It was 271 days.  I am really tired of losing at home.  Every team in the SEC must love playing in Razorback Stadium.  I am ready for wholesale changes if we have a losing record at home this year.
Alabama, Ole Miss, and Tennessee are the only ones that count.

IMAballHawg

Bravo shields!

well written article.  Facts are indeed facts and your opinion is clearly stated as such (instead of some times in the past when you try to push them off as facts).

2nd best article you have written. 

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/tkseib/texastoiletlarge.jpg<br /><br />Welcome to a new dawn in Razorback Athletics!

cbjagman

hogmary, Better check your figures there, or I'm leaving with an incorrect calendar. Last I looked a year is at least 365 days, not the 271 you mentioned in your post. Have I missed something? That being said, our record in RRS over the past several years has truly been miserable. One reason I have hopes for this weekend is that we WON'T be playing in Fayetteville. A road win, as few and far between as they've also been, is more likely then playing in our park.

hogmary

HedgeDweller

Sheilds has no more clue about what is really going on up there than anyone else.   

HogFaninGA

Nutt is already setting us up for a loss to Vandy.  He is quoted as saying  " Those days are over, " Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said Sunday. " The last couple of years, I really think they've turned the corner. They compete very hard and have better athletes on the field. "   He is talking about Vandy.

Rey Pygsterio

Malzahn doesn't look like he is getting the job done on the sideline. I see a lot of rushed confusion and panicked looks back and forth between coaches. At times, especially in postgame interviews, Malzahn looks like a deer in the headlights.

I am surprised Shields didn't mention the Gardens again this week. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any of the pavillions being used. Can you believe the UA priced fans out of using them? Well, yes, I can, since they priced Razorback Stadium out of a sellout up until a week ago. At least there is a whole lot of room for the kids to run and play touch football in that area. Fans discovered after one week that those pavillions aren't anything special for the money you are paying. Better to just set up a tent nearby.

I am always very suspicious of the announced crowd at Razorback Stadium, but for once I think they underreported attendance. It looked like there were more than 69,000 people there. But then again, I didn't look inside the indoor club seats on the east side, which are usually empty toward the north end zone.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

bullheaded

All we hope for is that this rumor has teeth.Suggestion:Make a command decision before tommorrow FB.Say goodbye to HDN now, elevated Alex or Gus. Alex can bring in people this week to replace Houston's relatives on staff. Keep RH until the off week and then bring the best available defensive coordinator. That at least gives our players a chance THIS year and solidifies our commitment. Done.Oh, JL will be pissed but will respect you for it.And like all of us, he will always be a hog first. He won't cut you off.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogFaninGA on September 11, 2006, 01:11:29 pm
Nutt is already setting us up for a loss to Vandy.  He is quoted as saying  " Those days are over, " Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said Sunday. " The last couple of years, I really think they've turned the corner. They compete very hard and have better athletes on the field. "   He is talking about Vandy.

Going 5-6 is turning the corner? My God...what have we come to with this guy? Are we buying what's he's selling?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Robert Shields

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on September 11, 2006, 01:34:37 pm

I am surprised Shields didn't mention the Gardens again this week. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any of the pavillions being used. Can you believe the UA priced fans out of using them? Well, yes, I can, since they priced Razorback Stadium out of a sellout up until a week ago. At least there is a whole lot of room for the kids to run and play touch football in that area. Fans discovered after one week that those pavillions aren't anything special for the money you are paying. Better to just set up a tent nearby.

The Gardens is a good idea just a very poor application in another attempt to make more money at the expense of everything else.

JAR

Rumor,

My brother just informed me that the Nashville morning talk radio sports program is reporting that Houston Nutt has put out "feelers" about the North Carolina State head coaching job.  I have no idea if there information is accurate.

SPAL

yeah yeah rey...we get it...LR 1 NWA 0..

been there done that bought the tshirt

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: JAR on September 12, 2006, 08:15:59 am
Rumor,

My brother just informed me that the Nashville morning talk radio sports program is reporting that Houston Nutt has put out "feelers" about the North Carolina State head coaching job.  I have no idea if there information is accurate.

I hear it is not accurate...at all. Not that it matters either way.

My guess is that if all of us morons can figure out that Nutt is not very capable at this level, a team such as NC ST. is able to see Nutt for what he's done while at U of A and would not consider Nutt for the head coaching position. Maybe as an assistant but certainly not as the HC and certainly not at the salary level he's been getting.

silvertip

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 11, 2006, 01:03:57 pm
Sheilds has no more clue about what is really going on up there than anyone else.  

No no no---he is one of the real insiders!!

HoginBigD

So true but he sure writes a good story that sounds believable. Look at some of those players from the 60's (Ken Hatfield, Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson and others). Because they were part of the first really good Arkansas teams, many of these men used that background and became very successful and rich. They now contribute thousands to the program. Always follow the money. The money makes the decisions.

HoginBigD

Quote from: silvertip on September 12, 2006, 09:00:51 am

No no no---he is one of the real insiders!!
Really? How inside is he? How would you know he is an insider? Do you believe in the Springdale Mafia?

HatfieldHog

Mr. Shields, that is one good article.  The largest truth that you give in your article, is the "FACT" of the rumors origion.  They come from the total information blackout at the U of A.  Heck, you can get more information from the Dept of Homeland Security than you can from the Bryoles Complex.  Frank has not come into the "information age" yet, and most likely will not live long enough to do so.

Heck, Nutt could put one of his assistants on this board for 1 hour per week, and just tell stories about practice efforts of players, jokes, and a couple of tidbits of worthless information, and this whole board would feel like they were insiders, heck it would be a "hugger" board.

But, these guys are too smart for that.  It's better to keep the fan base guessing what it going on out there.  Then, when they see it on the field, they'll be doubly excited about it.  Problem is, when it's poor play, we are doubly excited about it, I mean doubly "ticked" about it.

Somebody put a sign up at the Broyles Center parking lot. 
     "This is the Information Age"

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

nwarazfan

Quote from: Robert Shields on September 12, 2006, 08:10:34 am
Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on September 11, 2006, 01:34:37 pm

The Gardens is a good idea just a very poor application in another attempt to make more money at the expense of everything else.

I'm feeling ill.   I actually agree with Shields on something.