Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saturday Down South: BA's Best Case/Worst Case/Realistic 2015 Production

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 22, 2015, 06:38:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Nice article and good to see expectations for BA being elevated based on his experience and growth as a player.

Allen, however, is the league's only passer heading into his third season as a starter under center. Still wondering how a passer plagued by inconsistency throughout his career can suddenly lift his game to another level as a senior?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-qb-brandon-allen-best-case-worst-case-realistic-2015-production/
Go Hogs Go!

gmarv

thanks for the link Muskogee.ba has gotten a bad rap for playing hurt in 2013.last year was a good year for him and hes only gonna get better with more experience.

HogShat

Keep doubting Allen as one of the SEC's best quarterbacks in 2015.

He's out to prove you wrong.

Nice..... :razorback:

Hollywood_HOGan45

Another big key to Allen's senior success is having more thatn one WR who can be a threat.
One of the frosh, Cornelius, or maybe Morgan MUST step up and be a downfield threat for this offense to succedd.

One thing we have going for us is sever big, nasty, talented tight ends. Nobody in the country has tight ends like Arkansas does.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 22, 2015, 08:32:28 am
Another big key to Allen's senior success is having more thatn one WR who can be a threat.
One of the frosh, Cornelius, or maybe Morgan MUST step up and be a downfield threat for this offense to succedd.

One thing we have going for us is sever big, nasty, talented tight ends. Nobody in the country has tight ends like Arkansas does.

Bielema was quoted as mentioning two good WR's for BA when talking about how the group of talent around BA, had improved.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawginbigd1

The article calls it almost varbatim of how I see it. BA the 5th year senior takes another step forward off his improvement last year and is the 2nd team QB in the league. This is because he won't throw as much as others, 65 to 70 % completion ratio with a couple TD's a game is what I see.

Lastly, Dominique Reed or not our WR corps is much better than most here realize, but reed and KE returning will make it that much better.

HogMantheIntruder

I agree with the article, and I think the prediction is very reasonable, but there is one thing I see BA doing this year that not many people do- put the team on his back and win a game for us in the fourth quarter.  I know he has the label of "game manager", and that will remain his primary role, which I am ok with; he has become very good at it.  However, the next step BA will take is "game winner".  The way he finished out last season, sans the Mizzou debacle, has given him the confidence, and this year, for the first time since becoming a starter, he has the receivers.  I'm counting the TE's in that group, but I also believe Keon and at least one other receiver (not sure which one) is going to step into that role of the guy that can bail his QB out and make him look good even when he's not right on target.  This year, Allen becomes 'clutch"; mark it down.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HF#1

If we produce a 1000 yard receiver this year, it's going to be a damn fine season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: presidenthog on May 22, 2015, 10:46:49 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=593154.0
Come on, now, pres; you can't just put every link in one topic and then act like someone's just repeating info you've already given when they start a topic on ONE article.  I don't care if you are president, or if you have one of the top 5 avatars on HV, there's etiquette, damnit!
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

presidenthog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 22, 2015, 11:06:02 am
Come on, now, pres; you can't just put every link in one topic and then act like someone's just repeating info you've already given when they start a topic on ONE article.  I don't care if you are president, or if you have one of the top 5 avatars on HV, there's etiquette, damnit!
I post only on my phone... I thought I made it easy to see and read and everything yesterday but no one gave a ****.... LOL. it's all good at least I'll see some of the conversation today that I thought I was gonna see yesterday.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HF#1 on May 22, 2015, 11:02:12 am
If we produce a 1000 yard receiver this year, it's going to be a damn fine season.

Yep a 1000 yard WR and 2 1000 yard RB will make the Team tough to beat.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

presidenthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 22, 2015, 08:39:03 am
Bielema was quoted as mentioning two good WR's for BA when talking about how the group of talent around BA, had improved.
now see I remember that as well and it makes me wonder whom he is referring too. because i doubt he is talking about Dominique at this point. so if we have 2 good WR at this point and if DR is as good as advertised does that mean we might see some single back one TE 3 WR sets that like let's say peyton manning runs out of that you can still run out of or pass? it would seem to me that spreading the field on the occasion to open up running lanes couldn't hurt this offense that much especially if BA does start lighting defenses up with the pass.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 22, 2015, 08:39:03 am

Good news. Hopefully Reed can come in and make a big impact like we think he can.

DeltaBoy

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: presidenthog on May 22, 2015, 12:18:09 pm
now see I remember that as well and it makes me wonder whom he is referring too. because i doubt he is talking about Dominique at this point. so if we have 2 good WR at this point and if DR is as good as advertised does that mean we might see some single back one TE 3 WR sets that like let's say peyton manning runs out of that you can still run out of or pass? it would seem to me that spreading the field on the occasion to open up running lanes couldn't hurt this offense that much especially if BA does start lighting defenses up with the pass.

I think we will have 3-4 WR's that are capable of taking it to the house. Add in 2-3 TE's that will make an impact and an increased number of throws to RB's coming out of the backfield and I think that perhaps for the first time as a starter, BA will have plenty of targets that can get open and do something good with the ball after they catch it. Accounting for everyone who can make a play is going to be a lot more difficult for opposing offenses this year.

And then there is that running game of ours, that should benefit from not being our only threat next year. As Bielema said, there is a lot more talented depth surrounding BA this year and he should benefit from that in 2015.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 22, 2015, 02:49:26 pm
Good news. Hopefully Reed can come in and make a big impact like we think he can.

Wouldn't that be great? An instant impact. I think we need a minimum of 4 that can all present a true threat to SEC secondaries. If we have that, the TE's and RB's are going to be open a lot more often.
Go Hogs Go!

Arthur pigby sellers.

One of the most important factors for our offense will be our defense. I know this is pretty obvious.  We really are set up to have a successful sustained drive offense. It should be the best since CBB has been here.  If our defense is top half in the league this year and can get some 3 and outs, our offense can really get into a grove and wear down opposing defenses.  We could be a nasty team this coming year. 

Hawgzinbowlz

Good read. Brandon has become precise and his decision making is much improved.
Having a game breaking receiver would make us marginally better but is not necessary for us to have a very successful season. The players we currently have are more than adequate for us to win 8-10 games, and maybe more.
In the R&W game Brandon would have had 20-21 completions if 3 of his incompletions had, simply put, not been drops. BAs receivers made some nice catches, gained some yards after catch and held onto the ball all the way through the tackle. In our offense the receivers need separation, catch the ball and hold onto it through SEC LB/secondary hits, as BA will get it to them.
The closest play I have seen BA make that would be in the 'gunslinger' mode is when he threw a 36 yd. TD to Demetrius Wilson in the 2nd quarter of the Texas Bowl. He put the ball where only DW could catch it, and it was a beautiful throw/catch...and the Texas Bowl was Brandon's last competitive game. And, Brandon was deservedly voted MVP of the Texas Bowl.
To have a game breaker at wide receiver, who can hold onto the ball after the catch, would stretch the field somewhat and help us, but in our style of play it is not essential for us to succeed. I hope that Dominique Reed, Eric Hawkins or another newcomer/player on the roster can contribute in this way...and I'm not overly concerned if we play with the hand we hold.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tom-brady-dices-up-seahawks-for-4-tds--named-super-bowl-mvp-033205440.html
In the '15 Super Bowl TB was very successful (37-50), without a game breaker at WR. Brady put the ball where his receivers could catch it, they created separation from the LB/DB, caught the ball and held onto it through the tackle. While we aren't the Pats, BA isn't TB, etc. etc...Brandon is making good decisions and putting the ball where only his receivers can catch it. Then it's up to the WR to earn their scholarships. Also, Brandon's TD to INT ration is excellent. Good decisions combined with successful execution.

Combine Brandon's experience, our OL, our 2 1000 yard rushers, our nations best TE corps, an experienced WR group/talented newcomers with CDE and I like our chances in all 13+ games we will play in 2015...and our defense is salty.

One or more game winning drives by BA, when the chips are on the table and a game breaker WR would be icing on the cake.

" GO HOGS "

Cinco de Hogo

In the sense that BA is a fifth year senior and a three year starter one could easily get wrapped up in what he had done in the past and make projections for him based on a biased stance.

I however expect this year to be a whole new ballgame for BA.  No he want suddenly develop the arm strength of a Ryan Mallett but in Bielema's offense ran by Enos, with weapons galore he will have ever chance to shine. 

In the end it's on his shoulders to "win" a game or two when the chips are down and in the SEC that chance happens every year and usually multiple times a year.

In our offense winning a game is not gonna be that flashy 50 yd bomb, no, it's making a great throw on 2nd and nine after the RB's been stuffed on first down.  You can't ALWAY relay on the running game even with two 1000 TD rushers or the defense just crowds the LOS.  This year BA will convert those situations into game winning opportunities.

PS, Unless DR comes in and has a huge impact on the passing game!!!  ;D

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 23, 2015, 11:25:23 am
In the sense that BA is a fifth year senior and a three year starter one could easily get wrapped up in what he had done in the past and make projections for him based on a biased stance.

I however expect this year to be a whole new ballgame for BA.  No he want suddenly develop the arm strength of a Ryan Mallett but in Bielema's offense ran by Enos, with weapons galore he will have ever chance to shine. 

In the end it's on his shoulders to "win" a game or two when the chips are down and in the SEC that chance happens every year and usually multiple times a year.

In our offense winning a game is not gonna be that flashy 50 yd bomb, no, it's making a great throw on 2nd and nine after the RB's been stuffed on first down.  You can't ALWAY relay on the running game even with two 1000 TD rushers or the defense just crowds the LOS.  This year BA will convert those situations into game winning opportunities.

PS, Unless DR comes in and has a huge impact on the passing game!!!  ;D

You need to keep in mind that while BA is the guy who "pulls the trigger" on the offense, that if everyone else doesn't do their jobs, sustaining blocks, picking up blitzes, running accurate and crisp patterns, settling down in a seam, sees the ball in and secures catches, while making sure that DB's can't make INT's, the play won't work even if you have the best QB in history trying to make a play. It is a team sport and everyone relies on everyone else doing their individual jobs for a play to be successful.

On top of that it comes down to timely and efficient play calling that puts us in a better position by field position, down and distance, in order to give us the best opportunity to be successful. I'd suggest that you don't lay everything on the shoulders of BA, because though he is an important part of the equation, he remains just a part of the equation.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2015, 11:37:48 am
You need to keep in mind that while BA is the guy who "pulls the trigger" on the offense, that if everyone else doesn't do their jobs, sustaining blocks, picking up blitzes, running accurate and crisp patterns, settling down in a seam, sees the ball in and secures catches, while making sure that DB's can't make INT's, the play won't work even if you have the best QB in history trying to make a play. It is a team sport and everyone relies on everyone else doing their individual jobs for a play to be successful.

On top of that it comes down to timely and efficient play calling that puts us in a better position by field position, down and distance, in order to give us the best opportunity to be successful. I'd suggest that you don't lay everything on the shoulders of BA, because though he is an important part of the equation, he remains just a part of the equation.

Of course that goes without saying(but you had to say it) but if you think a team with equal to or less talent can win the close games without a QB that can make an exceptional play when needed at just the right moment then you need to very happy with 7-8 wins max.  The SEC is too tough and we don't have the best talent and coaching will only take you so far. 

You may disagree but my opinion is that BA will make some of those plays this year and they will be needed to win that extra game or two.

GlassofSwine

I'm curious to see the offense under Enos compared to Chaney. I think that if BA can improve his completion pct% to around 60% we will be much better off. I think some of his woes in that department were due to the play-calling and game situations.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 23, 2015, 12:30:36 pm
I'm curious to see the offense under Enos compared to Chaney. I think that if BA can improve his completion pct% to around 60% we will be much better off. I think some of his woes in that department were due to the play-calling and game situations.

Me too and yes it was.  I consider all aspects of the situation and I'm very excited to see how it plays out.  This thread is about BA in particular and I believe under the circumstances he has a real chance to shine. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 23, 2015, 11:56:33 am
Of course that goes without saying(but you had to say it) but if you think a team with equal to or less talent can win the close games without a QB that can make an exceptional play when needed at just the right moment then you need to very happy with 7-8 wins max.  The SEC is too tough and we don't have the best talent and coaching will only take you so far. 

You may disagree but my opinion is that BA will make some of those plays this year and they will be needed to win that extra game or two.

Every QB has to make a few extra plays at the right moment if his team is going to win more than less, but if the other players on the offense aren't in position to make that play happen, it isn't happening, no matter how good your QB might be. And yeah, I had to say it because it is the truth.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2015, 01:18:48 pm
Every QB has to make a few extra plays at the right moment if his team is going to win more than less, but if the other players on the offense aren't in position to make that play happen, it isn't happening, no matter how good your QB might be. And yeah, I had to say it because it is the truth.

Yea but this thread isn't about those other players.  You understand the reason for putting so much pressure on the QB?  Even in Bielema's offense the QB is still an island compared to any other player except maybe the kickers Once or thrice a game.

That is why the a paid the most and why you keep your eyes on them.  Pressure is their constant companion.  I don't see any need to soft soap the difference in BA having a "game manager" season and a "game winner" season.  As I've said it could easily be the difference in a 7-8 season and a 8-10 season. 

I'm excited to see what Enos does with the kid.