Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tickets for sale on Stubhub...Crazy high prices

Started by Omahabound, May 21, 2015, 01:59:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Omahabound

May 21, 2015, 01:59:06 pm Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:16:52 pm by Omahabound
Can anyone explain the last section of this Arkansas Statute law for me? Does it mean because the UofA now has a seat value on certain sections that scalping laws don't apply?

Arkansas Prohibits AC § 5-63-201 It is illegal to sell tickets to any athletic event (including high school and college), any event where the proceeds go to charity, or any music entertainment event at more than its face value price
   In the case of music entertainment, ticket holders may add a reasonable charge for handling/credit card processing
   This statute does not apply to institutions of higher education that receives funds per ticket that are greater than the face value

What does ^^^^^^mean?

DeltaBoy

Online Ticket Brokers should be BANNED they run up the prices and robo call and buys up all the tickets they can.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rhames

I mean you could always pay a donation and get season tickets

Or buy individual tickets

Never paid over face value for a game I wanted to go to before I got season tickets.

It's kind of hard to police those sites. How can Arkansas law cover someone in Alabama selling you the tickets?

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 21, 2015, 02:15:23 pm
Online Ticket Brokers should be BANNED they run up the prices and robo call and buys up all the tickets they can.

It's called capitalism, and you state you never go anyway.

rhames

Also are you asking what the part you bolded means?

That the university can require a donation to buy a ticket.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hawginbigd1

Doesn't apply probably to Hog tickets, but most events that you can buy tickets to, up to 80% of seats are not available to the public. They give these to re-sellers in blocks at off face value discounts to insure high sales.

ImHogginIt

Bull. For most events I attend I often find decent seats on stubhub for less than face

FBREW000

Seriously, let me ask you a question.  Some of these Broyles Matthews donors are allowed to get 25 tickets and 4 parking passes for their huge donation.  What do you think happens to most of those tickets to big SEC games?  What do you think happens to the OOC rent a win tix?

Well, those highly anticipated tix go for $$$$ online... those Rent a win tix go to charities for tax benefit donations.  It is business pure and simple. 

Arkansas law is outdated and a real backhanded slap to capitalism, economic growth (in many areas) etc.

those who hate brokers, DONATE THE BIG BUCKS YOURSELF! 

I personally never understood that you should be able to take the rights of what one wants to do with their property.  Once you purchase something, you should be able to burn it, sell it, give it, etal....

rwspear

would you rather pay market value at the ticket office?

Poker_hog

I'm not sure about stub hub but back when online poker was legal it was because the bets took place on servers that were located overseas and not subject to local laws.  Could be the same for ticket outlets.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hogsfan31

I just bought tickets two weeks ago to the Arkansas vs. Bama game. Bought lower level tickets in the endZone and I got them at a great price considering what I know they will be later on.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 21, 2015, 02:46:24 pm
It's called capitalism, and you state you never go anyway.

Let me see.............someone has something to sell................someone takes a risk to buy it with the intent to TRY to sell it at a profit not knowing if they can or not due to not knowing if there will be enough demand to do so....................yep that sounds like capitalism to me. Kind of what our whole economic system is based on.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 21, 2015, 09:20:18 pm
Let me see.............someone has something to sell................someone takes a risk to buy it with the intent to TRY to sell it at a profit not knowing if they can or not due to not knowing if there will be enough demand to do so....................yep that sounds like capitalism to me. Kind of what our whole economic system is was based on.

FIFY.   With entitlements on one side, bailouts on the other, etc., real capitalism is getting sandwiched.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?