Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future Arkansas QB Cole Kelley at the top of the list

Started by lakers1017, May 21, 2015, 06:59:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lakers1017

The QB the Hogs picked up a couple of months ago is at the top of the list of offensive players to watch from around his area. Kid sounds like he can sling it. http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2015/05/20/five-players-watch/27650209/

King Kong

He has a cannon. IMO he will have hands down the strongest arm we have had since Mallett (no I'm not saying he has Malletts arm). His ability to hit down field throws outside the hash mark could really open things up for us.

The_Iceman

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KY Hog Man

But, but, but ..... didn't they say that 6"7" was too tall to be a quarterback?  :D

TDHawgs

Wow.. that kid threw some major big time throws.. very impressed.

Calling All Hogs

He can really sling it even when his feet are off balance.

jb11

Quote from: KY Hog Man on May 21, 2015, 10:25:59 am
But, but, but ..... didn't they say that 6"7" was too tall to be a quarterback?  :D
Only in the NFL.

PaintballHog

Very bizarre he was unranked by most of the services when we were recruiting him. He has all the physical tools. 

elviscat

He is a Ryan Mallet with wheels. He can run the football.

ZERO

I think he's still unranked by Scout. That or 2*. He's not a highly sought after or rated QB at all, but his size and arm intrigue me. I'm pretty excited to see what he'll bring.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Tusks

what were his JR season stats?  anybody got them close by.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hawgmasta

The coaching staff knows that any guy that comes in will probably have to wait at least two years before starting. So go out there and recruit a QB by measurables and potential. If we can hold on to Enos for years I can't imagine how successful this kid could become.

rickm1976

Quote from: elviscat on May 21, 2015, 04:44:49 pm

Yeah.  He looks like he may have Matt Jones kind of speed - deceptively fast, which means defenders will miss him often.

redeye

Quote from: King Kong on May 21, 2015, 08:33:38 am
He has a cannon. IMO he will have hands down the strongest arm we have had since Mallett (no I'm not saying he has Malletts arm). His ability to hit down field throws outside the hash mark could really open things up for us.

I like the sound of that.  That should be the standard for all QB's, imo.

factchecker

Quote from: tusked on May 21, 2015, 06:30:43 pm
what were his JR season stats?  anybody got them close by.

via 247:

YEAR      ATT    CMP             YD           TD     INT
2014      310    187           2984        31       9

http://247sports.com/Player/Cole-Kelley-77447
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog N Bama

Quote from: KY Hog Man on May 21, 2015, 10:25:59 am
Not when your OL is only an inch shorter  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

urkillnmesmalls

I love it.  From a HS film he's already a hybrid of Matt Jones and Ryan Mallett.  Those are pretty high measuring sticks, and I hope the kid just ends up having a percentage of those guys' pure athletic skills. 

But...I heard the same thing about Ty Storey too, and from what I've heard from the people who have been watching practice consistently, his arm isn't any stronger than BA's, and certainly not up with RP's. 

You'll have to excuse me for taking a cautionary optimism that he's the next Ryan Jones. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

carolinahogger

Quote from: hawgmasta on May 21, 2015, 10:28:21 pm
The coaching staff knows that any guy that comes in will probably have to wait at least two years before starting. So go out there and recruit a QB by measurables and potential.

Not at Arkansas.  We always have an incoming freshman who is far better than anyone already on campus.   ;)

Hoginsavga

I think he will make it at QB but, if not, he sounds athletic enough to be another tight end. Could be another A. J. Derby or Matt Jones (pro) receiver.

PorkRinds

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 22, 2015, 07:49:38 am
I love it.  From a HS film he's already a hybrid of Matt Jones and Ryan Mallett.  Those are pretty high measuring sticks, and I hope the kid just ends up having a percentage of those guys' pure athletic skills. 

But...I heard the same thing about Ty Storey too, and from what I've heard from the people who have been watching practice consistently, his arm isn't any stronger than BA's, and certainly not up with RP's. 

You'll have to excuse me for taking a cautionary optimism that he's the next Ryan Jones.

That's strange, because I heard just the opposite. I heard from folks who have participated in almost every practice that Ty seems to be the guy making all the throws and RP doesn't have much of a passing game to speak of, he's all legs. 

bigred223

kaki

I read it differently, but then again, I don't see every glass half empty.  Thought the previous posters were saying he was a strong armed QB like Ryan but did not say his arm was as strong as his, and said he had deceptive speed, reflecting that Matt's speed was deceptive as well.  Don't think they said he was as fast as Matt.

Hogarusa

Wow.  Matt Jones speed with Ryan Mallett arm.  Surely there is a Dmac comparison out there
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2015, 08:16:37 am
That's strange, because I heard just the opposite. I heard from folks who have participated in almost every practice that Ty seems to be the guy making all the throws and RP doesn't have much of a passing game to speak of, he's all legs.

Then you haven't Been listening to bielemas pc's.

DeltaBoy

The new and Improved Ryan Mallet 2.0!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigsknuckles

His RB's looked like munchkins beside him. How does he play under center?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

WorfHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 22, 2015, 10:20:18 am
Wow.  Matt Jones speed with Ryan Mallett arm.  Surely there is a Dmac comparison out there

Less of a Wes Welker  ;)

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 22, 2015, 10:20:18 am

He's more like a 4.7 guy - not 4.4 like Matt was.  Still, that's fine for a QB that can pass like this kid can.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kaki on May 22, 2015, 09:52:16 am
I read it differently, but then again, I don't see every glass half empty.  Thought the previous posters were saying he was a strong armed QB like Ryan but did not say his arm was as strong as his, and said he had deceptive speed, reflecting that Matt's speed was deceptive as well.  Don't think they said he was as fast as Matt.

I was funnin' man. You know, how the thread starts and it doesn't go half a page until they're already COMPARING him to some of the best players to ever put on a Hog uniform.  I understand they didn't say he was even with them, but just the comparison is funny to me.  Am I not allowed to see the humor in that? 

You sir, won't poop on my parade.   :P
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

SPAL

If this were true, he would be a 5*

Let's not get carried away now.

nchogg

The young man is not even on campus. You can't compare him to someone that has played college football. When he arrives on campus next year and the coaches start working with him the staff will use him where they feel he will have the best fit be it QB or another position. Since he has foot work problems Coach Enos will correct that. First things first, don't start putting undue pressure on the kid. After the Rafe and Ty bandwagon some now want to be negative about them. I think we have a very good QB pool and a coach that wants success from all of them.

pigture perfect

In most programs, the most popular player is the 2nd or sometimes the 3rd string QB's. With us, it's all 5 back ups if you count Duwop still in the mix.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nchogg on May 23, 2015, 06:45:17 am
The young man is not even on campus. You can't compare him to someone that has played college football. When he arrives on campus next year and the coaches start working with him the staff will use him where they feel he will have the best fit be it QB or another position. Since he has foot work problems Coach Enos will correct that. First things first, don't start putting undue pressure on the kid. After the Rafe and Ty bandwagon some now want to be negative about them. I think we have a very good QB pool and a coach that wants success from all of them.

Fans are the ones who create unrealistic expectations and keep in mind that most of what is voiced on here, never reaches the ears of the player. If I were Bielema, the first thing that I would tell my recruits is to avoid fan sites, yes, even this one as good as it is most of the time.

You know as well as I do that what you find here are over-reactions, both to the positive and the negative. You have to take both with a grain of salt.

Bielema wants 5 QB's on the team all of the time because he is very familiar with attrition through things that are somewhat uncontrollable. This kid is being recruited as a QB and you have to assume that is the position that they want him to play. Now if they sign 2 QB's in his class, all bets are off. In any case, with our current system, the cream will rise to the top.
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Ryan Jones in the house..! Looks out foosebawl woild..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

pitbull1

Cinco de Hogo

Either way aren't we just glad to have him?  By the way he looks like a future JJ Watts to me! LOL

jgphillips3

Lets kill the Matt Jones speed thing.  Matt Jones ran a 4.37 AT the combine where almost nobody breaks 4.4.  Like others said, 4.7 is more realistic.  For comparison, BA was clocked around 4.6 coming out of high school I believe.  What we are seeing is a fusion.  Matt Jones could FLY but after he hurt his shoulder, his arm strength was shot.  Ryan Mallet could make EVERY throw a QB could be asked to make but even sun dials move to fast to clock him in the 40.  This kid has probably about 80% or 85% of Ryan Mallets arm but also has the wheels of a much smaller player and Matt Jones deceptive stride.  Potentially an awesome combination in our offense and he can probably get that Cam Newton QB dive any time we need it.

nchogg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2015, 09:36:10 am
Fans are the ones who create unrealistic expectations and keep in mind that most of what is voiced on here, never reaches the ears of the player. If I were Bielema, the first thing that I would tell my recruits is to avoid fan sites, yes, even this one as good as it is most of the time.

You know as well as I do that what you find here are over-reactions, both to the positive and the negative. You have to take both with a grain of salt.

Bielema wants 5 QB's on the team all of the time because he is very familiar with attrition through things that are somewhat uncontrollable. This kid is being recruited as a QB and you have to assume that is the position that they want him to play. Now if they sign 2 QB's in his class, all bets are off. In any case, with our current system, the cream will rise to the top.
I agree. Good reply.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Was thinking the same thing, but you beat me to it!
Let's make some waves.

Mike Irwin

So in this thread we learn that the incoming savior of the program just a few months ago has already been supplanted. Why? Because "people who have been watching practice consistently" have already noticed that Ty Story doesn't even have a stronger arm than Brandon Allen. In fact Rafe Peavey currently owns that title.

I'm wondering who these people are, the ones who watch practice consistently and make these observations?

I watch practice inconsistently but to my untrained eyes Brandon Allen has the strongest arm. I base that observation on today not 2013 when he had a much more serious shoulder separation than his coaches were willing to admit. Watching him in the spring game I found myself remembering that day at LSU when his throwing range was about 35 yards. The kid has worked hard to rehab his shoulder.

Clint Stoerner had a similar injury at the beginning of his junior year. He said it took more that two years to get back to where he was before the injury.

As for Cole Kelley, I'm quite sure Bret Bielema and his staff will be recruiting other quarterbacks in the 2017 class. It won't be that long until they find a kid that surpasses Kelley, at least in the eyes of some in this forum. To them he'll be faster with a stronger arm.

Nonetheless I will continue to observe that compared to Hogville's Jump Ball Forum, MMQB is driven by a collection of rational and even knowledgeable fans.

Truth is, unless we have planned to change our game plans, QBs 2 through 4 or 10 or even 25, will not play so it really doesn't matter.  Likely should just take backup QBs from the walk on selections and save schollies.  Hopefully, we will have a plan in place to play a #2 or #3 QB if the starter gets waylaid as has happened in the near past.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on May 24, 2015, 10:59:50 am
Truth is, unless we have planned to change our game plans, QBs 2 through 4 or 10 or even 25, will not play so it really doesn't matter.  Likely should just take backup QBs from the walk on selections and save schollies.  Hopefully, we will have a plan in place to play a #2 or #3 QB if the starter gets waylaid as has happened in the near past.

I think you will see back-ups getting more playing experience in games under Enos, when the opportunity presents itself. Problem is, when you are scrambling to win every game you possibly can (over the last two seasons) there has been little opportunity for back-ups (#2 let alone #3) to get any game time action and experience. They all need to see some time in games where the outcome is not in doubt, but there hasn't been many of those over the last couple of seasons. As a side note, I still think AA should have been inserted in the Missouri game when BA was obviously hurt and not operating at 100%, but it is easy to have 20-20 hindsight when you aren't on the staff.
Go Hogs Go!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 23, 2015, 12:44:53 pm
Lets kill the Matt Jones speed thing.  Matt Jones ran a 4.37 AT the combine where almost nobody breaks 4.4.  Like others said, 4.7 is more realistic.  For comparison, BA was clocked around 4.6 coming out of high school I believe.  What we are seeing is a fusion.  Matt Jones could FLY but after he hurt his shoulder, his arm strength was shot.  Ryan Mallet could make EVERY throw a QB could be asked to make but even sun dials move to fast to clock him in the 40.  This kid has probably about 80% or 85% of Ryan Mallets arm but also has the wheels of a much smaller player and Matt Jones deceptive stride.  Potentially an awesome combination in our offense and he can probably get that Cam Newton QB dive any time we need it.

I'll take this if it pans out.

EFBAB

MissippHog

Quote from: rickm1976 on May 21, 2015, 10:40:04 pm
Yeah.  He looks like he may have Matt Jones kind of speed - deceptively fast, which means defenders will miss him often.
Tanner English scoffs at your comment.

nchogg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2015, 11:38:40 am
I think you will see back-ups getting more playing experience in games under Enos, when the opportunity presents itself. Problem is, when you are scrambling to win every game you possibly can (over the last two seasons) there has been little opportunity for back-ups (#2 let alone #3) to get any game time action and experience. They all need to see some time in games where the outcome is not in doubt, but there hasn't been many of those over the last couple of seasons. As a side note, I still think AA should have been inserted in the Missouri game when BA was obviously hurt and not operating at 100%, but it is easy to have 20-20 hindsight when you aren't on the staff.

Another good response fact and logic. Keep it up.

MissippHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2015, 11:38:40 am

Bielema admitted as much when asked about the decision to play BA:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/bielema-allen-explain-qb-decision-in-missouri-game/17306/RgMbzTxLa0iLHOFMRc7JVw

However, you can't measure the amount of respect BA gained that day by continuing to fight.  If you remember, he had gained nearly 40 yards on that final drive before AC put the ball on the turf. 

blu

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 22, 2015, 11:19:21 am
Then you haven't Been listening to bielemas pc's.

This. Unreal, folks are so uninformed on Rafe's performance and potential.
I am happy we are getting this guy, good athletifism and good arm. Sounds like BA, AA, RP and TS. Fellas, we are in better shape than we have been in a long long time at QB, maybe ever. Woo Pig!
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

moses_007

He reminds me in the videos of Matt Jones.  This kid is huge, and he can really run too.