Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Murf's take on Kody Walker on SDS

Started by PaintballHog, May 19, 2015, 09:56:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Love it!  I hope it works out just that way.

PorkRinds

I would love to see the coaches pound the rock with JWill and AC for three quarters and wear down the opposing defense.  Then put Kody in and let him just physically dominate the tired defenders with some fresh legs.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2015, 10:26:00 am
I would love to see the coaches pound the rock with JWill and AC for three quarters and wear down the opposing defense.  Then put Kody in and let him just physically dominate the tired defenders with some fresh legs.

Yep.  I've always been a big fan of Kody.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

Great article by Murf, but he just like everyone else misses the boat just a little, Jwill is more explosive than AC, and is the greater HR threat.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 19, 2015, 10:28:45 am
Great article by Murf, but he just like everyone else misses the boat just a little, Jwill is more explosive than AC, and is the greater HR threat.

I do agree with you there.  Either way, it was a nice take on our situation at RB.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2015, 10:26:00 am

And that might be how it plays out...but JWill is a VERY physical runner himself.  I would involve Kody in spurts throughout the game to spell JWill and AC and then we will be able to let a relatively fresh JWill continue to pound away late in the 4th (unless the game is out of hand in which no need to risk injury of course) and since IMO he is also our fastest back he might be able to break off some long runs to seal the game

DOGALUM

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 19, 2015, 10:28:45 am
Look......Marshall was "more explosive" than either of them.  May have made him the "greater HR threat", but not the greater threat.   

I'm a huge JWill fan.   But the overriding sentiment on here lately is that he is clearly superior to AC.....and I just don't know where the hell that comes from.  (not saying you said or think it.....just quoted your post because it's what got me started thinking)

I get CBB listing KW and AC as co-#2s to motivate AC.  But unless AC sits around all summer and comes in at 280....that's not how it will be. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: DOGALUM on May 19, 2015, 10:45:36 am
Look......Marshall was "more explosive" than either of them.  May have made him the "greater HR threat", but not the greater threat.   

I'm a huge JWill fan.   But the overriding sentiment on here lately is that he is clearly superior to AC.....and I just don't know where the hell that comes from.  (not saying you said or think it.....just quoted your post because it's what got me started thinking)

I get CBB listing KW and AC as co-#2s to motivate AC.  But unless AC sits around all summer and comes in at 280....that's not how it will be.
I am thinking clearly superior has a greater connotation than what most are saying, but if i had to draft one of the 2. I personally draft Jwill because i believe he is equal in all things to AC, but is a greater HR threat.

HogMantheIntruder

I think JWill is more consistent than AC.  He had a bit of a lull mid season last year.  Of course, that makes the fact that he finished with nearly identical stats all the more impressive.  I love that we get to debate which of our returning 1,000 yard backs is better.  It just gives me all kinds of warm fuzzies...
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Reservoir Hogs

I think the emergence of Walker as a true RB could allow us to get Jwill and AC on the field together some, which would be sweet.
Also with Walking lined up as Wing or Fullback he can get some carries that way and showcase his ability.
I agree with Murph's last statement, get him at least 10 touches a game, and see what happens.

Chief Mac

another insightful article!  Thanks Murph
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HVHog

I want to be the first FBS team in history to have three 1000 yd rushers! 

PorkRinds

Quote from: HVHog on May 19, 2015, 11:41:55 am
I want to be the first FBS team in history to have three 1000 yd rushers!

I think Coach B did that at Wisconsin.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2015, 12:19:35 pm
I think Coach B did that at Wisconsin.

Article states he was 4 yards shy

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 19, 2015, 12:21:41 pm
Article states he was 4 yards shy

I guess I didn't see that part.  Didn't Nevada have three thousand yard rushers when Kaepernick was there?

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2015, 12:24:32 pm
I guess I didn't see that part.  Didn't Nevada have three thousand yard rushers when Kaepernick was there?

The only thing I remember from Nevada was the bomb hail marry ending to the game against Boisie st that knocked BS off. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 19, 2015, 12:26:02 pm
The only thing I remember from Nevada was the bomb hail marry ending to the game against Boisie st that knocked BS off.
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/14102/nevadas-running-game-is-full-speed-ahead

It would be an impressive feat if it happened, because only one school has ever done it.  But CBB had his team knocking on the door at Wisconsin.  In fact, the door was wide open and they just couldn't step through.

Tequilin' Time

3x1000 would be sweet!!

great article Murph and I'm with ya on this.

not since the underused Peyton Hillis have I seen us with a BEAST of a back,  wish he had Hillis' hands to add another wrinkle.

bphi11ips

Murf's analytical skills and his ability to communicate his analysis are up there with the best in the business. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

lahawg1

I agree with the others that JW has a very slight explosiveness over AC but in my opinion the edge is very slight, 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Sivad

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 19, 2015, 12:47:55 pm
Murf's analytical skills and his ability to communicate his analysis are up there with the best in the business. 
As good as any, much better than most, may just be the best.

gmarv

I,m with you I think ac is to good to give up his spot easily.i think he still has a little growing up to do.cbb just has to get him refocused from time to time.

nchogg

With a new oc and running backs coach I like what I saw in the spring game.

KlubhouseKonnected

"Clearly superior" might be too strong only in the sense that it suggest huge talent gap or even some kind of negative connotation towards AC but I do think Williams is the better player. I just believe that at this point Williams has shown himself to be the complete back.

There is no weak facet of his game. AC hasn't really displayed much as a pass catcher out of the backfield but that may have more to do with opportunity than with ability. AC's pass pro improved last year but I still think Williams is probably a bit more reliable there. AC is more elusive and appears to be a bit more "quick" while it seems Williams is a step faster in top end speed.

At the end of the day they are both outstanding college running backs.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

On another note that article was a really fun read. I think Murph's optimism about the respective talent of our offense compared to the rest of the league is probably a bit premature however.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Well, if Bielema wants to make sure that Walker gets at least 10 carries per game, he sure isn't going to take that opportunity away from his two best RB's so that means running the ball more or at the least, keeping the ball longer and sustaining more offensive drives so that he is able to make that happen.

Assuming that happens and that Collins and Williams keeps their carries and in fact increases slightly from a combined 31 on average to 35 and Walker gets an average of 11.5 per game at his average of about 5.0 per carry, that means increasing total carries to about 45 per game, just among the RB's. Given average career yards per carry per RB that could produce about 249 yards rushing per game.

If we then throw about 25 times per game for somewhere in the neighborhood of 216 yards per game, we really begin to look like a Bret Bielema coached team that produces an average of about 464 yards of total offense per game, running about 64% of the time and passing about 36% of the time, but being more effective when doing so.

If the defense holds fast and produces similarly as they did last season, this could be a very special season in 2015. But it is post-spring and early summer and a good time for lofty, optimistic projections. Our opponents are going to have a great deal to say about how well we do, but I see brighter horizons for Hog football as we move further into the Bielema era.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

The reason people are really jumping on the JWill bandwagon is because he is bigger, faster and stronger than Collins. However, Collins is quicker, with better vision and patience. The overall difference between them is slight with me giving a slight edge to JWill. However, when it comes to drafting them as an NFL team, it comes down to scheme. If I'm running a zone blocking scheme, Collins is higher on my board, otherwise, JWill is. You can't go wrong with either.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Kody looks like he has the physical ability, and while he is a senior, lacks the game experience the other two backs have (which only means he has to prove he can be reliable).  however, if he proves reliable, I expect we see him more in situations where he has the 'hot hand' or where one of the other two backs are a little banged up, and they don't want to risk further injury.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hoggish1

HogWildBison2011

Awesome article Murf! And to add to the conversation we haven't seen AC or JWill run since last season.. And both are getting the "Flowers" treatment this offseason. And from looking at AC before the spring game I have to say he looks more physically impressive to me than he did last season. And the common talk is that he is now bouncing off tackles.. I'll reserve judgement till I see him on the field. And Murf is absolutely right Kody "Ironman" Walker will be a sensational compliment to JW & AC. WPS

jrhardy88

Nothing would gladden my heart more than seeing our three backs shoving the ball down Alabama's throat in Tuscaloosa.We CAN out Bama Bama,just wait and see.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 19, 2015, 12:47:55 pm
I was going to say something similar but didn't want to sound like I was kissing up to Murf. Some of the best writing I see anywhere! I disagree with him here and there, but I respect the writing!

MissippHog

Quote from: lahawg1 on May 19, 2015, 01:36:58 pm
I agree with the others that JW has a very slight explosiveness over AC but in my opinion the edge is very slight, 6 one way half a dozen the other.
I agree but AC makes up for it with his incredible vision.

nchogg

Coach B has made it clear that he will use whom ever is hot in a game. He used AC and JW as his examples. If KW is the hot back in a game he will be used just like AC and JW. These backs are not selfish, they want to help eachother. We will just have to wait and see when the game starts.

Biggus Piggus

Murf picked up all the Kody Walker highlights that gave me chills during the spring game. Has he improved his speed just enough to be an effective tailback? If so, yow! Nice backfield.
[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 19, 2015, 11:16:33 pm
I was going to say something similar but didn't want to sound like I was kissing up to Murf. Some of the best writing I see anywhere! I disagree with him here and there, but I respect the writing!

LOL.  Nobody has ever accused me of kissing up on here, not that you are.  Murf knows his stuff and calls it like he sees it.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

gawntrail

Quote from: jrhardy88 on May 19, 2015, 11:14:06 pm
Nothing would gladden my heart more than seeing our three backs shoving the ball down Alabama's throat in Tuscaloosa.We CAN out Bama Bama,just wait and see.

We're adding the wrinkle that Saban thought he was getting with Kiffin.  We're adding a quick passing game.  Ours is lateral(screens/backs out) that requires very little read or adjustment.  Kiffin is 3 step and 3 man patterns on front side that requires more from a QB than any of us seem to be able to recruit in the SEC. 

We will out 'Bama 'Bama by attacking their flanks from the flank instead of trying to bust out to the flank from the inside.  Then finish them with steady doses of inside zone and trap schemes.  Lots of running for the defensive front 7 combined with steady diet of one-on-one tackling will wear them out. 

As critical as I have been, I'm very high on what it appears to be we're doing now that Enos is here.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 20, 2015, 09:11:47 am
Murf picked up all the Kody Walker highlights that gave me chills during the spring game. Has he improved his speed just enough to be an effective tailback? If so, yow! Nice backfield.

The question is, if we have another talented RB that can spell Williams and Collins, how many carries does Enos plan to chart for him each game and will that mean fewer carries for 1a and 1b or does it mean an increase in the number of times we run the football each game (on average)?

No doubt that this may vary from game to game based on the opponent and what they are giving us on defense, but generally speaking does this mean an increased focus on the rushing attack?
Go Hogs Go!

HogShat

Great stuff Murf! Can't you just see us lined up in the wishbone, or on the 1 yard line in the Maryland I with these three???  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

gmarv

I really like murfs stuff,he focuses on things that I like to read.its really hard not to excited about how good kodi looked in the spring.

SECisKing

I appreciate the props, Hogville peeps! Having Kody as a change of pace early on in games will only attribute to worn down defenses. Imagine if you brought Collins in to finish off a defense that has had to tackle J-Will and Walker? I know people bill J-Will as a power back, but if you really lab him, he's more of a slasher who likes to make people miss and perform spin moves; the extremely physical back is like a unicorn these days.

Gurley had it (along with a lot of other things), but I can't really name another. Jalen Hurd from Tennessee is very physical. Anyone else you guys can think of?

Also, check out the latest from the Ball Hawg boys where we interview my guy, the best radio personality in the Natural State, Fox 16's Wess Moore -- formerly of 93.3 The Jock's "Game On!"

It was great to hear Wess' take on all things Hogs Football.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bhp-015-wess-moore-talks-arkansas/id975078933?i=342776431&mt=2

Make sure you subscribe and comment for your boy Murf on iTunes.
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

Razordiddy

Quote from: SECisKing on May 21, 2015, 10:43:49 am
...the best radio personality in the Natural State, Fox 16's Wess Moore -- formerly of 93.3 The Jock's "Game On!"...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bhp-015-wess-moore-talks-arkansas/id975078933?i=342776431&mt=2

I agree with this! Ready for him to be back on the air.

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 21, 2015, 06:45:09 am
The question is, if we have another talented RB that can spell Williams and Collins, how many carries does Enos plan to chart for him each game and will that mean fewer carries for 1a and 1b or does it mean an increase in the number of times we run the football each game (on average)?

No doubt that this may vary from game to game based on the opponent and what they are giving us on defense, but generally speaking does this mean an increased focus on the rushing attack?

What a great "problem" to have... and one that very few thought we would have when Marshall left.  Does Enos run JWill/Collins down a teams throat for 3 quarters and bring in a fresh back that is just as dangerous and more of a bruiser or does he build a gameplan that keeps all 3 of them getting touches throughout the game (same net effect that one of the 3 will break a big one against a tired defense).

The key will be our defense not allowing the opposing team to churn out equally clock burning long drives.  If we can dominate time of possession, then we will have an opportunity to have some semblance of balance between the running and passing game.  If we somehow found a way to get 3 1,000 yard backs, but BA only generated ~150 yds/game in passing (with 50+ of that going to the TE's), the haters would be out in force regarding BA or the WR's or CBB's run heavy offense or some other garbage.

Some interesting quick math on CBB's last 3 Wisconsin teams... 

Year      Run     Run/GM   Pass     Pass/ GM        Total Offense       % Run
2010           3294     253.4   2593     199.5         5887               0.560
2011           3298     235.6   3280     234.3         6578               0.501
2012           3309     254.5   2197     169.0         5506               0.601

2010 and 2011 were 11 win seasons.  2012 was an 8 win season.  Granted, in 2011 he had Russell Wison running the offense, but I believe we have a better combined skillset of players around BA at TE/WR/OL.   Add Enos philosophy to the mix and I think we look more like the 2011 team... maybe not 50/50, but if BA can be ~200 yds/gm... we win 10-11 this year and put up ~6000 yards in total offense.
Poker Porker

SECisKing

Quote from: The Kig on May 21, 2015, 12:56:24 pm
What a great "problem" to have... and one that very few thought we would have when Marshall left.  Does Enos run JWill/Collins down a teams throat for 3 quarters and bring in a fresh back that is just as dangerous and more of a bruiser or does he build a gameplan that keeps all 3 of them getting touches throughout the game (same net effect that one of the 3 will break a big one against a tired defense).

The key will be our defense not allowing the opposing team to churn out equally clock burning long drives.  If we can dominate time of possession, then we will have an opportunity to have some semblance of balance between the running and passing game.  If we somehow found a way to get 3 1,000 yard backs, but BA only generated ~150 yds/game in passing (with 50+ of that going to the TE's), the haters would be out in force regarding BA or the WR's or CBB's run heavy offense or some other garbage.

Some interesting quick math on CBB's last 3 Wisconsin teams... 

Year      Run     Run/GM   Pass     Pass/ GM        Total Offense       % Run
2010           3294     253.4   2593     199.5         5887               0.560
2011           3298     235.6   3280     234.3         6578               0.501
2012           3309     254.5   2197     169.0         5506               0.601

2010 and 2011 were 11 win seasons.  2012 was an 8 win season.  Granted, in 2011 he had Russell Wison running the offense, but I believe we have a better combined skillset of players around BA at TE/WR/OL.   Add Enos philosophy to the mix and I think we look more like the 2011 team... maybe not 50/50, but if BA can be ~200 yds/gm... we win 10-11 this year and put up ~6000 yards in total offense.

Enos' philosophy is no different than Paul Chryst's at Wisconsin: quick-game, multi-tight sets, heavy play-action and the occasional vertical pass centered around multiple running backs. Quite frankly, it's Coach B's philosophy which is why Enos was brought in as they are mirror images to the core, philosophically speaking.

The 2011 season gets a lot of attention because of Russell, but the 2010 season with Tolzien was the better team -- the one that beat No. 1 Ohio State. I like balance, but that 2010 team with the almost three one-thousand yard rushers was a physically dominating team that could compete with anyone.

I think it's a wash at the skill positions as that Wisconsin team had some really good tight ends, too: Lance Kendricks, Jacob Pedersen and Brian Wozniak (who I interviewed on an episode of the Ball Hawg where he broke down those Wisconsin teams and the philosophy with me).

The backs are a wash, too. I'd give the edge to the Wisconsin OL as it was lined with NFL players: Kevin Zeitler, Peter Konz, Gabe Carimi, Ricky Wagner, Travis Frederick and John Moffitt were all NFL starters last season (Moffitt retired) and a couple of those guys were high picks -- and that was all on the same exact line! Frederick, all-pro center, was asked to redshirt in 2010 because they were so deep although he played the previous year.

When Coach B fully implements his plan, it's going to be fun to watch like it was for us Wisconsin fans...
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

The Kig

Quote from: SECisKing on May 21, 2015, 01:30:37 pm
The 2011 season gets a lot of attention because of Russell, but the 2010 season with Tolzien was the better team -- the one that beat No. 1 Ohio State. I like balance, but that 2010 team with the almost three one-thousand yard rushers was a physically dominating team that could compete with anyone.

When Coach B fully implements his plan, it's going to be fun to watch like it was for us Wisconsin fans...

Completely agree that it is going to be fun to watch. 

My point wasn't that we are a better team than either the 2011 or 2012 team, just that we have the capability to put up comparable numbers on offense.  If BA averages ~200/ game, then that would be a mirror of the 2010 team.  Given that we are entertaining the thought of 3 1,000 yard backs, the 2010 team would be the better comparative also.

If we mirror the 2011 team, we win 10-11 games... now that would be fun to watch.
Poker Porker

RazorbacksFan

Quote from: jrhardy88 on May 19, 2015, 11:14:06 pm

Yes, my wish is that this game would be handled much easier by us this year then to watch Tennessee go in there and get pounded by Alabama. I'm tired of hearing about Tennessee.