Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Win Against Texas A&M is Critical to a Successful Football Season

Started by Robert Shields, May 18, 2015, 11:10:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Win against Texas A&M is Critical to a Successful Football Season

Robert Shields

Looking ahead at the Razorback football schedule, the game that sticks out is the Texas A&M game on September 26. It will be Arkansas' fourth game of the year, and the Hogs should be 3-0 when going into the game in Dallas against the Aggies.

The game will be the fourth game in a row where the Razorbacks will face a team that starts with a "T" for those that care for such weird facts as the Razorbacks play Texas-El Paso, Toledo, Texas Tech, and then Texas A&M. And for those that love streaks, the Razorbacks actually play their first five games against a team that starts with a "T" as the fifth game is against Tennessee.

The team could survive a loss to Texas A&M, but to show improvement over last year the team needs to win it. The game last year was so close and heartbreaking.

Maybe you have blocked this out of your memory, but the Hogs led 28-14 into the fourth quarter only to see the lead and game slip away as the Aggies scored the last 21 points. The Razorbacks outplayed the Aggies for the entire first three quarters. Then fate struck as Kenny Hill hit Edward Pope for an 86-yard touchdown pass to cut the Razorback lead to 28-21.

For the first time in years, Arkansas almost showed that it might have the killer instinct with around 6 minutes left in the game when it started a time-consuming drive that stalled with a little more than 2 minutes left in the game. A field goal probably seals the game, but as fate would have it again, the Hogs missed a 44-yard field goal. Two plays later, the Aggies would be back down the field for a touchdown to tie the game at 28.

The game went into overtime and the Aggies scored on their first play of the overtime to take a 35-28 lead. The Razorbacks tried to respond on fourth and one, but they were stopped short ending the game.

What should have been a strength for the team running the ball ended dismally as the team struggled to get even the fewest yards on the ground late in the game and overtime. Sorry to remind you.

I firmly believe that Brandon Allen was still feeling out his receiving corps last year at this point in the season against A&M leaving the team more one dimensional. The team will be more balanced on offense next season not totally telegraphing when a running play is about to happen.

Still, it was a bitter defeat.

Thus I come back to the coming season when the teams get rematched and Arkansas needs to beat them. A win launches the Razorbacks into the SEC West race with a winning record. A loss and everyone starts to wonder if the team is any better than last year.

It won't be the easiest game, and even when Bobby Petrino was beating A&M in Dallas they were never easy as most of the games went to the wire. I expect the game this September in Dallas will be no different.

A&M will be showcasing their new defensive coordinator that they lifted from LSU. A&M's weakness over the last few years has been defense, and the new hire is supposed to fix that problem. Yet, this A&M team is not the same since Johnny Manziel left.

All the more reason the Razorbacks need to win the game.

I will get messages telling me all the games are important and that is true, but some set the stage for a season to be special. The Razorbacks need this win over Texas A&M to shake the ghosts from last year and to prove they are a newer and an improved group from the previous year.

And all this is assuming the Razorbacks beat Texas Tech the week before.

I had to write something.  I guess I could have written about Bruce Jenner.

Send what game is the most important for the season to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

The_Iceman

Dr. Starcs

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hogs-n-Roses

There s no need to worry. We will crush A$M. We will have learned how to "not spit the bit". Is rite bout one thing, this game should launch us to recognition but in a positive way. Squeak out a win in Knoxville the next game n we're on our way to a 9 win season. Who knows maybe much better.Its near impossible to beat the tide n 4 refs n boosters in the pay station known as Rammer Jammer. The LSU game is usually hard down there, close but hard to win. Can't figure Mizzou yet. They're usually lots better than I want to give them credit for.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

Dark Helmet Hog

GatorHog

TLDR.

One game doesn't make a successful season.  ATM is just the first 'big' game, which means if we lose, some fans will freak out and start flying the white flag.

DeltaBoy

I agree Robert this game could launch us on a solid run through the SEC West.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WMHawgfan

So in your long winded way you are saying starting out 1-0 in conference is important. Got it.

LZH

Have ya'll seen the "quit smoking" commercial that has the middle-aged white dude take out his false teeth and 'smile'.  Well, this has nothing to do with that....it was just on my mind.

#1 - I was still posting bull on RS's post from last week
#2 - A&M will be a 10 win team this year....Auburn lock.

HogWall Jackson

I will be counting on a tough game as A&M will again field a potent offense and Coach Chavis will have their Defense in better condition to play in the SEC. The more physical this game gets, the better I like our chances. Arkansas by 9.

The_Iceman

Robert Shields: "Hey, look at these other people writing articles, I think I can write some too!"

NaturalStateReb

The problem with this line of thinking about A&M is that A&M isn't going to be a top team in the West.  You don't want to lose to A&M, but beating them probably doesn't improve your overall position in the West. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

zane

RIP LSUfan

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

The_Iceman

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

nchogg

Robert I liked what you wrote for once. It was to the point and not drugged out. You do have a point with A&M. Yes their new DC will probably have their defense improved this year but I still look at what our offense did to the same DC last year. Our offense will be different with Coach E and our defense should be ready for SEC play. Go Hogs!

BearsBisonsBoars

"Winning is important" - Robert Shields

Well, you heard it here first, folks!

And this one is for Doug:

LZH

Quote from: nchogg on May 18, 2015, 03:00:10 pm
It was to the point and not drugged out.

Dammit....I KNEW IT!  Stop writing in code.....say it like you mean it.

Professor Psychosis

Speaking of Bruce Jenner, my car has been having transmission problems lately.  It gets up to second just fine, but shifting into 3rd is very rough.  I was hoping to ask Bruce about that.  I hear he's an expert.

Huh?  Wait, what?  Oh...oh my.  You're not kidding?  It's a different kind of tranny, huh? Well, crap.

Looks like I'm in the market for a slightly used car.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Calling All Hogs

josh_sec33

From the title I assume that RS connected winning to success.

Thank You Captain Obvious?
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 18, 2015, 01:11:41 pm
Robert Shields: "Hey, look at these other people writing articles, I think I can write some too!"

Lol, one of the better ones I've seen in a while.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Robert Shields on May 18, 2015, 11:10:14 am
Win against Texas A&M is Critical to a Successful Football Season

Robert Shields

The team could survive a loss to Texas A&M, but to show improvement over last year the team needs to win it. The game last year was so close and heartbreaking.

Please... no....... Regardless of who wins this game it won't make or break our season.  We own roughly a 2-1 win over these guys over our lengthy past.    Stop spinning the propeller on your head....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

redeye

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 18, 2015, 01:11:41 pm

The flying kick was bad enough, but that dude's head hit the pavement.  I'm all for laughing unless someone's seriously injured.  It's like how it's fun to poke fun at RS as long as we know he can take the criticism. Obviously he can, because he continues to come back for the punishment. 

I think secretly, he comes back for the .gif's too.  At least I want to believe he has a purpose for writing the drivel he puts out. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Hog N Bama

Our boys will be ready for Tex A&M. Last year's game will be the only motivation they will need. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

SooiecidetillNuttgone

TBH, I'd be surprised if we lose to aTm.   I don't think they suck or anything, but I don't think they'll be able to withstand our offensive onslaught while our defense will be good enough to get some key stops.   That's of course assuming that the "D" doesn't return to last years dominance.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.