Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Tech Spring review.

Started by DeltaBoy, May 18, 2015, 09:25:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=210087994

They got some lofty goals up on the High Plains.   I expect us to curb stomp them again!

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogMantheIntruder

I agree that we should win handily against the Red Raiders this year, but I didn't see many "lofty goals" in that article aside from Washington hoping to run for 1500 yards this season. I think the issue at TT is that Kingsbury is in over his head.  In the article he talks about the team not "owning" it, which tells me that he doesn't have a good handle on them and/or they haven't bought in.  We've seen how much of a difference that has made here with the turnaround.  Last year's team didn't have any quit in them.  They never stopped believing in themselves or what CBB was doing.  His guys will run through a wall for him, and I just don't think they have that on the plains. That's the risk you take when you hire an up and comer.  Just my .02.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

robs4516

Interesting point: They play UTEP the week after we do. It'll get exciting on Hogville if they happen to beat them more than we do. Actually, I'm sure it'll be interesting on here whatever transpires. 

Interesting point II: their week 3, 4, & 5
at Fayetteville
TCU
Baylor
First of all, I didn't start it...
Second of all, they were all still alive when I walked out

Destin2bAhog

I was bored and actually watch the TT spring game about a week ago.   This team may be worse this year.   Their spring game wasn't at home due to renovations.  Even the announcers seemed bored and they didn't keep score.  Look very disorganized and definitely not inspired FB. 

Scroll down to the bottom of the article and see what the DMN sports writer says they have to do to win the game.  Funny...

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/an-early-look-at-texas-techs-non-conference-schedule-red-raiders-face-tough-challenges.html/

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think Coach Disick got promoted a bit too fast.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

rljjr

Kingsbury seemed a bit cavalier in that interview. I think he knows he's in his last year of being a HC for a while. He's just not ready. Probably a great guy, but that might be part of his problem -- just a nice guy who can't get it all organized. I think he's probably better suited as an OC.

Boarmonger

Quote from: robs4516 on May 18, 2015, 04:52:09 pm
Interesting point: They play UTEP the week after we do. It'll get exciting on Hogville if they happen to beat them more than we do. Actually, I'm sure it'll be interesting on here whatever transpires. 

Interesting point II: their week 3, 4, & 5
at Fayetteville
TCU
Baylor

That's kinda nasty...

PaintballHog

That qb they had at the end of the year last year was pretty good, but I don't think he'll have time to do much of anything when they come to the hill.

Boarmonger

What can TT do to win?  Pray....

That's pretty funny.

DeltaBoy

I hope Sam Houston State upsets them to start the season and they will be in total disarray by the time they get to Nam.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Destin2bAhog on May 18, 2015, 05:57:53 pm
I was bored and actually watch the TT spring game about a week ago.   This team may be worse this year.   Their spring game wasn't at home due to renovations.  Even the announcers seemed bored and they didn't keep score.  Look very disorganized and definitely not inspired FB. 

Scroll down to the bottom of the article and see what the DMN sports writer says they have to do to win the game.  Funny...

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/an-early-look-at-texas-techs-non-conference-schedule-red-raiders-face-tough-challenges.html/
"Razorbacks... could be a preseason top-10 team."  Anyone think that's actually a possibility?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Destin2bAhog

In their spring game the announcers stated one of the big weakness was the Online and the depth.   That could spell big trouble for them in 2015.   I believe it will get ugly for TT when they come into our house even though they already know our game plan. 

DeltaBoy

I hope so cause some of my wife's side of the family is Rabid Red Raider Fans and they went there to boot.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 19, 2015, 10:52:19 am
"Razorbacks... could be a preseason top-10 team."  Anyone think that's actually a possibility?

I think it's possible that people will think it's a possibility but the notion that we actually might be certainly strains credulity.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

supersaint

They do have some guile and skullduggery. Plus, their DC "never freaks".
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

100%HOG

If i was a Texas Tech fan I would be in complete panic mode right about now. Kingsbury has no business being a head coach. He really shows no signs that he is capable of running a program.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 19, 2015, 10:04:21 am
I hope Sam Houston State upsets them to start the season and they will be in total disarray by the time they get to Nam.

Sam Houston State will give them trouble.  I have seen 1 early FCS Poll that has SHS ranked #4 in the nation.  Texas Tech may end up wishing that they hadn't scheduled SHS.

SHS's most difficult game this season could be in Conway, Arkansas.

presidenthog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 19, 2015, 06:57:41 pm
Sam Houston State will give them trouble.  I have seen 1 early FCS Poll that has SHS ranked #4 in the nation.  Texas Tech may end up wishing that they hadn't scheduled SHS.

SHS's most difficult game this season could be in Conway, Arkansas.
I really wish you would post on tRant and let those people get to see your amazing incite.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: presidenthog on May 19, 2015, 07:14:57 pm
I really wish you would post on tRant and let those people get to see your amazing incite.

I have considered it, but from what I have seen of it, there are a lot of irrational/illogical people on that site.  That site is really not a constructive site.  I don't want to get warped by their elementary ways on that site, so I won't join.

hogcard1964

I always liked Texas Tech back in the old SWC days.  We do hold a pretty big advantage over them historically, don't we?

King Kong

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 19, 2015, 09:57:30 am
That qb they had at the end of the year last year was pretty good, but I don't think he'll have time to do much of anything when they come to the hill.

I agree Patrick Mahomes looked a lot better than that kid we played

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: King Kong on May 19, 2015, 07:47:48 pm
I agree Patrick Mahomes looked a lot better than that kid we played

Mahomes is a really good athlete and may be their best bet for a better season this year.
Go Hogs Go!

zane

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 18, 2015, 09:46:56 pm
I think Coach Disick got promoted a bit too fast.

That's Coach Lord Disick
RIP LSUfan

BPsTheMan

the Texas Tech Spring Review thread is kick ass

that's all I got right now

Jborohog09

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 19, 2015, 07:41:01 pm
I always liked Texas Tech back in the old SWC days.  We do hold a pretty big advantage over them historically, don't we?

Yep, 29-7.

nchogg

I don't think TT will score the points they did last year. Our secondary and LB's are better and  learning a new defensive scheme is over. It's just getting better as coach Smith says. Our offense will be different. We will also have a passing attack to compliment our running game. I look forward to the game.

Biggus Piggus

Texas Tech might have made a miraculous DC hire like Arkansas did, but even so, it takes half of the season before real change starts to kick in. They are in trouble.
[CENSORED]!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Jborohog09 on May 19, 2015, 10:32:31 pm
Yep, 29-7.

Interesting

...when did they join the SWC?

They were pretty competative for awhile.  In the mid to late 70's, I seem to remember the pecking order within the SWC being:

1) Texas
2) Arkansas
3) Texas A & M
4) Texas Tech
5) Houston
6) SMU
7) Baylor
8  TCU
9) Rice

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 20, 2015, 12:11:35 pm
Interesting

...when did they join the SWC?

They were pretty competative for awhile.  In the mid to late 70's, I seem to remember the pecking order within the SWC being:

1) Texas
2) Arkansas
3) Texas A & M
4) Texas Tech
5) Houston
6) SMU
7) Baylor
8  TCU
9) Rice

TT joined in 1956.

P:.S. From 1925 to 1991 Arkansas was the ONLY school in the SWC not located in the state of Texas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SamBuckhart

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2015, 07:57:25 pm
Mahomes is a really good athlete and may be their best bet for a better season this year.
I actually went to school in chapel hill and have relatives there who think highly of him. My stay there was short. I believe they will come up short against us too. Hoping to see a large nasty crowd of HOG fans to welcome them. My last TT game that I saw in Fayetteville, still makes me sick. I hope we beat down by 50.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

SoCal Hog

If the announcers for the TT spring game cited the O-line as being one of the bigger weaknesses they are really in trouble. From what I remember of last year's game their D-line was one of the worst I have ever seen--fat, out of shape, poor technique. Maybe the new DC has gotten them slimmed down and playing better technique, but I sorta doubt they have improved that much in such a short time frame.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 19, 2015, 03:21:57 pm
I think it's possible that people will think it's a possibility but the notion that we actually might be certainly strains credulity.

Have you been taking writing lessons from Senility?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Destin2bAhog

Quote from: nchogg on May 20, 2015, 07:20:02 am
I don't think TT will score the points they did last year. Our secondary and LB's are better and  learning a new defensive scheme is over. It's just getting better as coach Smith says. Our offense will be different. We will also have a passing attack to compliment our running game. I look forward to the game.
Why would we want to pass the ball in this game other than to give our RB's some rest.    I would not show any of our offense until the A&M game.

Hog N Bama

Last year, TT got just a taste of the whoopin they are going to get in Fayetteville this year. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

ZERO

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 20, 2015, 12:11:35 pm
They were pretty competative for awhile.

They have actually never been competitive. They've won 10 games only four times in their team's history. As a matter of fact, in their 11-1, 11-1, 11-2, and 10-2 campaigns, they never once finished in the top ten of the final AP polls.

Kliff Kingsbury may or may not be a very good coach some day, but he's not ever going to excel at Texas Tech. Mike Leach was the only coach they've ever had to put up decent results, but that's just an incredibly hard job to win at. If he can find a way to go 8-5 most years, he'll actually live pretty comfortably in Lubbock.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hogsfan31

Quote from: ZERO on May 20, 2015, 10:11:22 pm
They have actually never been competitive. They've won 10 games only four times in their team's history. As a matter of fact, in their 11-1, 11-1, 11-2, and 10-2 campaigns, they never once finished in the top ten of the final AP polls.

Kliff Kingsbury may or may not be a very good coach some day, but he's not ever going to excel at Texas Tech. Mike Leach was the only coach they've ever had to put up decent results, but that's just an incredibly hard job to win at. If he can find a way to go 8-5 most years, he'll actually live pretty comfortably in Lubbock.

I actually think he would make a better OC long term than a head coach. Let's face it, Johnny Football basically made Kingsbury look awesome. Manziel would have done that with anyone, he was a once every decade type player.

Tommy Tubberville once said you never coach in your home state early in your career because if you do bad, have a losing record, they will run you out of your home and state. Same can be said about your Alma Mater, you do bad, you've ruined a good thing and your legacy.

DeltaBoy

Tech is in more trouble than their fans will admit in my book but we will see how they do in the Fall.