Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An approach more schools should take?

Started by oldhawg, May 18, 2015, 07:52:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhawg

Exerpt:

"Navy football Coach Ken Niumatalolo appreciates the benefits of a good day's rest, especially for service academy athletes who are required to balance rigorous academics and military obligations with practice, weightlifting and film study.

So without reservation, Niumatalolo has elected not to use the maximum number of days allotted for spring practice, preferring instead to take a more cautious approach that allows players to prepare better mentally and physically for the demands of training camp in late July."

Note:  Navy did not use three of its allotted spring practice days.

thirrdegreetusker

Knute Rockne is quoted as saying that "spring football" was not worth the time, effort, and chance of injury. But said he said he HAD to do it, because if he did not, folks would think he was not working as hard as he could be.

LZH

Call me on it, but can't you spread out practices over the entire (kinda) spring?  Why couldn't you have your kids rest for a few days in a row?

gawntrail

If Military Academy Student/Athletes need time off to 'prepare' for Summer Camp..... we have bigger problems than Football going on.

The academic rigor is pretty demanding and the physicality of daily military life (unless its different for cadets/midshipmen) is too.  I don't see how trading pt time for fb practice time is more taxing......

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2015, 04:29:51 pm
Call me on it, but can't you spread out practices over the entire (kinda) spring?  Why couldn't you have your kids rest for a few days in a row?
You get 15 practices in 34 days, so there's not a ton of room to spread it out.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MuskogeeHogFan

The Service Academies are a completely different animal than other Div I schools and if it weren't for pure tradition, they probably would be better served playing at the FCS level most years.

A cursory glance at the average Cadet's schedule at West Point is as follows, and this is a very generic example because there is much more that is demanded of these young men and women on a daily basis than what this schedule reflects.

TYPICAL DAILY SCHEDULE

Morning:
6:55-7:30 Breakfast
7:35-11:45 Class or study

Afternoon:
12:05-12:40 Lunch
12:45-1:40 Commandant/Dean Time
1:50-3:50 Class or study
4:10-5:45 Intramural, club or intercollegiate athletics; extracurricular activities; or free time

Evening:
6:30-7:15 Supper (optional except Thursday)
7:15-7:30 Cadet Duties
7:30-8:30 Study Conditions/Extracurricular activities
8:30-11:30 Study time
11:30 Taps
12:00 Lights Out

Cadets at the United States Military Academy are busy. Their highly regimented schedule is driven by the academic, athletic and military training requirements that they must navigate during their four years at West Point. Most days begin at "O Dark Hundred" as all cadets are required to form up for breakfast formation and Breakfast Mess starts shortly thereafter at 6:55 am. The academic class day starts at 7:35 am and depending upon one's schedule ends as late as 3:30 pm.

Lunch is at noon. Many cadets enjoy occasional breaks in their daily class schedule so that they can enjoy a cup of coffee in the Jefferson Library and have a class period to work on assignments or consult with an instructor.

The phrase "Every cadet an athlete" is taken seriously at West Point. After classes, all West Point cadets participate in some form of athletic activity, be it an intramural, club or intercollegiate squad. This daily athletic block goes to approximately 6:00 pm daily.

All male Candidates should arrive at West Point with a minimum ability to run at least three miles in 25 minutes.

You can expect to foot march three miles with 20 pounds initially, then increase time, distance and weight every week.

I point out all of this, not even listing everything that is required of them that isn't required of the average SEC football player, that puts these kids at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to competition at a high level. But then, while they enjoy competition with big time schools, that isn't their primary purpose of being at a Service Academy, their primary goal or their primary mission.

They can afford to skip a few spring practices. Not skipping them isn't going to change the outcome in the Fall very much. I doubt that any SEC school would ever embrace that theory. But again, different schools with different missions.
Go Hogs Go!

thirrdegreetusker

Coaches at all levels  are obsessed with maintaining an appearance that "no one works harder than we do". So, as a whole, coaches work harder, or work more, but it is rare to find someone who works SMARTER.

Who is the all-time winningest college football coach? Paterno? Eddie Robinson? Bowden? Not even close.

John Gagliardi has 20% more wins than any of those guys.   489-138-11

Won his first national title in 1963; won his last one in 2003.

From wiki:

Gagliardi is known for his unique coaching approach, which he called "Winning with No's." He instructed his players not to call him "coach", did not use a whistle or blocking sleds, prohibited tackling in practices, did not require his players to lift weights, and limited his team practices to 90 minutes.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 19, 2015, 04:19:13 pm
Coaches at all levels  are obsessed with maintaining an appearance that "no one works harder than we do". So, as a whole, coaches work harder, or work more, but it is rare to find someone who works SMARTER.

Who is the all-time winningest college football coach? Paterno? Eddie Robinson? Bowden? Not even close.

From wiki:

Gagliardi is known for his unique coaching approach, which he called "Winning with No's." He instructed his players not to call him "coach", did not use a whistle or blocking sleds, prohibited tackling in practices, did not require his players to lift weights, and limited his team practices to 90 minutes.

..........with no scholarships...........

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 19, 2015, 04:19:13 pm

From wiki:

Yes, a great coach for the NAIA and Div III. He did a great job with the talent at his disposal. Not sure how that applies to this thread, though. Are you saying that, "this is an approach that more schools should take?"
Go Hogs Go!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Interesting note on the Navy coach. He also doesn't work on Sundays. No practice, no meetings, nothing.

oldhawg

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on May 19, 2015, 05:28:14 pm
Interesting note on the Navy coach. He also doesn't work on Sundays. No practice, no meetings, nothing.

Isn't it an NCAA rule that all teams have to have one day off a week?  If so, that may just be the day that he selects. I read somewhere that the service academies normally limit their practices to about 90 minutes when school is in session.   I know that all schools are limited in the number of hours (20?) that they can practice a week,  but I suspect that many coaches have probably found ways to circumvent these rules.

DeltaBoy

Nope let the Academies do what they have to do and let the rest of us do what it takes to win.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: oldhawg on May 20, 2015, 07:57:41 am
Isn't it an NCAA rule that all teams have to have one day off a week?  If so, that may just be the day that he selects. I read somewhere that the service academies normally limit their practices to about 90 minutes when school is in session.   I know that all schools are limited in the number of hours (20?) that they can practice a week,  but I suspect that many coaches have probably found ways to circumvent these rules.

Maybe for the players, but I guarantee you most coaches aren't taking a Sunday off during the season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on May 22, 2015, 05:08:12 pm
Maybe for the players, but I guarantee you most coaches aren't taking a Sunday off during the season.

If you aren't breaking down film on Sunday you have either "passed" or you don't have a job. For some coaches, those two things may have a similar feeling. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

gmarv

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 22, 2015, 12:01:10 pm
Nope let the Academies do what they have to do and let the rest of us do what it takes to win.
if anyone thinks any man playing football for any military academy isn,t already a winner----------well their just wrong.
these men and women show the rest of us what real winners look like everyday.

oldhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 22, 2015, 12:01:10 pm

It's really just a matter of perspective and priority.  "The rest of us" may do what it takes to win on the football field, cadets and midshipmen do what it takes to lead winners in combat situations.  Sports is only one part of their leadership preparation.  And right now I would have to say that the AFA and USNA have even been as successful (or even more so) on the football field than most so-called power five schools, including Arkansas he last three years.

But we all have teams other than the Razorbacks that we want to succeed, even in football.  Mine happen to be the Service Academies.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on May 23, 2015, 10:31:40 am
It's really just a matter of perspective and priority.  "The rest of us" may do what it takes to win on the football field, cadets and midshipmen do what it takes to lead winners in combat situations.  Sports is only one part of their leadership preparation.  And right now I would have to say that the AFA and USNA have even been as successful (or even more so) on the football field than most so-called power five schools, including Arkansas he last three years.

But we all have teams other than the Razorbacks that we want to succeed, even in football.  Mine happen to be the Service Academies.

They have a different mission, and they should. My hat is off to these young men and women whether they ever win a Div I game. I thank them for a commitment that is far greater than to just play a sport at the Div I level.
Go Hogs Go!