Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New ESPN website sucks! Off topic dicussion.

Started by g.lynn, May 17, 2015, 10:30:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

g.lynn

I do NOT like new redesigned ESPN website.  Has there been a poll on this anywhere?

Mods may move to appropriate forum. 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

Dr. Starcs

ChitownHawg

Quote from: g.lynn on May 17, 2015, 10:30:10 am
I do NOT like new redesigned ESPN website.  Has there been a poll on this anywhere?

For all of the money ESPN has they have a bad UX mobile experience.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Professor Psychosis

Yeah, I've given up on even going there at all.

MissippHog

On the desktop it's not that bad IMO.  Haven't looked at it on the mobile yet.

HognitiveDissonance

I totally agree, it stinks. If it ain't broke, fix it anyway. The old page was much better than this one. This one is just way too clunky, cluttered, and non-user friendly. You can't even read it that well.

That's an interesting discussion. I know the reason management types make these decisions. The thinking is, 'if we don't evolve and change constantly, then we're not growing and we will be accused of being stodgy and stuck in our ways, and non-innovative and cutting edge'.

But then you sometimes get things like this.

RAZ FAN

It is horrible. They took 2 steps backwards with the new site.

rljjr

CNNs blows too. Whoever these folks are want to make it as hard as possible to get news and info.

rickm1976

I couldn't agree more.  I actually liked the old one.

intelligence

Quote from: MissippHog on May 17, 2015, 12:25:51 pm

Nah dude, it stinks even worse on desktop. completely hate the redesign. it doesn't even flow right aesthetically. FWIW, I am a former UI/UX engineer for 5 years, and i would have fired the designer for bringing me this design...

koreaben

Off topic as well, but who remembers CNN sports tonight?  Fred Hickman and nick Charles.  Rivaled Sportscenter for awhile.  Fell off after those two left.  They were "famous" for their play of the day.  Were they the first to do that daily?
Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on May 17, 2015, 10:53:03 am
Yeah, I've given up on even going there at all.

This.

Seems like it's been going down hill for a few years now, to be honest.

King Kong

WSPHOG

I've been trying to get accustom to it but I decided the new website sucks. ESPN can do better!

ballz2thewall

it's the new [ergo "old"] "card" design

viz facebook.
The rest of the frog.

popcornhog

Quote from: MissippHog on May 17, 2015, 12:25:51 pm

I'm the opposite. I never surf the web recreationally on my desktop. Only on my phone and iPad.

And it is fairly crappy, but I'm used to it now.
WPS

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

josh_sec33

it's sort of ok on my ipad.

Desktop it's god awful, and can't figure out where to look at anything. No flow to it at all.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

MissippHog

Quote from: intelligence on May 17, 2015, 02:02:30 pm
Nah dude, it stinks even worse on desktop. completely hate the redesign. it doesn't even flow right aesthetically. FWIW, I am a former UI/UX engineer for 5 years, and i would have fired the designer for bringing me this design...
I guess.  You could always do like me.  I rarely go to ESPN's site and rely on you guys to post up relevant articles and just follow the link  ;)

casken

Have thought the same thing.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MissippHog on May 18, 2015, 04:46:50 pm
I guess.  You could always do like me.  I rarely go to ESPN's site and rely on you guys to post up relevant articles and just follow the link  ;)

That is my go to strategy as well.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

SwinerBock

Both the ESPN and the SI sites are craptastic with their redesigns.  Don't know whether to give them two thumbs down or two middle fingers up.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: MissippHog on May 18, 2015, 04:46:50 pm

Yeah, pretty much anything Razorback related online is going to end up posted on Hogville one way or the other.

Between here, and Reddit's College Football Subreddit for general college football discussion (Reddit is basically another type of message board, for those unfamiliar with it), I don't see the need to go to ESPN.com.  It all ends up here or there, usually very quickly.

Hawgphish

It is bad.  Glad to see this thread.  Now I know, it's not just me. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 17, 2015, 08:28:20 pm
I remember 'Play of the Week' on the George Michael Sports Machine......geez, I'm old

But yes, I do remember Fred and Nick on CNN Sports.  It was a solid show but depending on who was hosting SportsCenter that night, I might miss CNN Sports Night in favor of SportsCenter. 

I miss Dan and Keith.   
SI featured a story on CNN's Van Earl Wright in their annual summer 'Where are they now?' issue.

Speaking of a top duo like Dan and Keith, I think the late night pair of Neil Everett and Stan Verrett is very, very good. They complement each other perfectly.

sickboy

I didn't like it at first, but now I'm used to it. Prefer the old site because I spent more time on the old site. The scrolling content of the new site makes it more difficult, or seem more difficult, to find content I'm interested in. Now I just cruise over to see the top few stories and then leave.

duckman

Quote from: koreaben on May 17, 2015, 02:11:54 pm
Off topic as well, but who remembers CNN sports tonight?  Fred Hickman and nick Charles.  Rivaled Sportscenter for awhile.  Fell off after those two left.  They were "famous" for their play of the day.  Were they the first to do that daily?

What is this CNN of which you speak?

The new ESPN site is awful.....

redeye

It's awful, but I don't like the new 247 design, either.  I don't keep up with web design anymore, but it seems like everyone's coming out with similar designs that are horrible.  Anyone know why?

On the bright side, I stopped visiting ESPN regularly several years ago, so I'm not missing anything.

daprospecta

One good thing it has going for it is the twitter sidebar.  It keeps me updated across all sports while I'm reading articles etc.

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

The_Iceman

It's terrible. It even crashes when I try to play videos on my tablet. The old version was great and well organized. Now, its a jumbled mess.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

sage_dragoon

It's definitely a smart phone/tablet world. Over 60% of their traffic is smartphone only.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Jborohog09

It's pretty dadgum awful on both a desktop and a smartphone.  I also hate the new arkansasrazorbacks.com setup too.

LJHOG

SamBuckhart

Do not like at all. Appears to be an opportunity to sell more ad space.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

RazorBassin

Nothing on college baseball on the front page, not even a link to it.  It sucks!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RazorBassin on May 21, 2015, 08:37:28 am
Nothing on college baseball on the front page, not even a link to it.  It sucks!

BOO HISS!

Hawgphish

MY apologies for the repeat thread.

But I want to say again how sorry the new ESPN website is! 

That's all, I feel better.

Dr. Starcs

Deleted it off my bookmarks. Horrible.

Professor Psychosis

I liked playing Streak for the Cash, but I don't even bother with that now.

Maybe when football season starts.  Maybe.

bigdaddyhawg

I have been an ESPN hater for over a decade.  I hate how their presence how screwed up sports to a major degree.

But I love the new website.  I find it so much easier to browse the topics, finds scores, etc..
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawgjr

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 04, 2015, 03:17:54 pm
I have been an ESPN hater for over a decade.  I hate how their presence how screwed up sports to a major degree.

But I love the new website.  I find it so much easier to browse the topics, finds scores, etc..
Me too.  The web site is much better than the old one.

davglo35

The only link for college baseball is the college sports link. Its bad!