Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen in Critical Situations Next Season

Started by Josh Goforth, May 17, 2015, 09:02:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Goforth

May 17, 2015, 09:02:45 am Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:42:08 pm by Josh Goforth
Will he overcome those previous unsuccessful clutch moments in the past? I am confident he will in 2015 and when it happens his legacy will be solidified as more than a game manager. 
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/5/16/8600183/critical-moments-arkansas-qb-brandon-allen

Razorback_Mack

Enos has to develop some resemblance of a 2 minute offense. Under Cheney we didn't have one to speak of. He went dead gun and abandoned all of our offensive principles making us extremely predictable and letting teams tee off on BA. In this league we're gonna be in 3-4 4th quarter battles. Mark my words, an effective 2 minute offense with be the difference from winning 7 vs. 10-11.

welchog

The key is him having to manage a game or win it. 

ChitownHawg

May 17, 2015, 10:20:19 am #3 Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:01:18 am by ChitownHawg
2013 has been well documented on the terrible condition of his shoulder.

For your 2014 examples. Some of your examples are play calling not execution of the play. The Derby pass needed 10 yards, so Chaney calls a 5 yard pass. When you need 10 yards then you don't call a pass shorter than that. The defense was keeping everything in front of them and to hope Derby would break the tackle was simply bad play calling.

The INT? There was no place to run and no WRs with the capability to get open.

The scramble and fumble is the only one I feel supports your argument. The rest are simply someone expecting a QB to pull something out of his butt. In your blog you seem to be cheering for BA, but your examples are more of play calling and WR in ability to get open. I don't know of many QBs who can overcome bad play calling or WR play.

The BA haters will surely take your well meaning blog post and use it to for their perverse enjoyment. I know that isn't what you intended when writing it.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LRRandy

Allen went from a pick 6 machine his sophomore year to few interceptions his junior year. If that rate of improvement continues he should progress to the point of being counted on to win a few games. Seems logical.
This is fun, isn't it.

HVHog

My biggest concern with BA is durability.  Each of the last two years he has gotten hurt and the injury adversely affected the team at critical junctures in the season since no suitable backup was ready.  His soph year it affected the whole year, his junior year it likely cost us the Mizzou game and the difference in being 8-5 vs 7-6.  He is very susceptible to injury, and I think our season, as to whether we win 6-7 or win 9-10 is directly related to him staying healthy for once. 

MuskogeeHogFan

May 17, 2015, 11:28:30 am #6 Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:46:34 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Josh Goforth on May 17, 2015, 09:02:45 am
Will he be able to overcome those previous clutch moments where he has not had success in the past? I am confident he will in 2015 and when it happens his legacy will be solidified as more than a game manager. 
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/5/16/8600183/critical-moments-arkansas-qb-brandon-allen

There is a great deal involved in evaluating QB play and a lot more than we, as casual observers, can probably fully understand. It isn't as simple as attempts vs. completions.

We see a QB making a good throw to a receiver in stride or to the sideline just before he steps out of bounds, or a deep fade to the corner of the EZ, and we automatically crown that QB as having a great arm, great touch, great decision making ability, who went through his reads and picked the correct receiver to whom to deliver the ball at the precise right moment between or over coverage.

Sometimes this is accurate, but sometimes (maybe the majority of the time) that doesn't tell the entire story.

You can have a QB who has a great arm who doesn't have a bevy of good to great receivers that run crisp, sharp routes, but he has been told that this is where the OC wants the ball delivered because this is where he believes the QB and receiver should have the greatest opportunity for success in this particular situation, down and distance. That leads to forced throws and sometimes, untimely INT's or PBU's if the QB isn't given the faith of the OC to read the field and find the open receiver.

Or, on any given play, your receivers can run the precise right routes, but perhaps they were delayed getting off the LOS, throwing the timing of the play off, causing the QB to have to continue to hold the ball, while your normally dependable O-Line perhaps mis-steps, loses their angle and allows a defensive player a straight line at your QB, causing him to do one of a variety of unplanned-for things like, get flushed from the pocket, release early, try to force the ball or throw it away.

And maybe just by chance on this play, in the midst of everything else that seems to be happening at the speed of light, your "hot" receiver, a RB or a TE, is picked up and covered, so you have lost your last minute "dump off" that might salvage the play.

QB's are expected to make plays in order to be the ones who receive the national accolades of being considered to be, "a great QB in the clutch". I don't disagree at all. But a lot of other people on the field have to also make plays at key moments to enable the QB to be the "big play" guy at key times when the game is on the line.

Like HC's, a QB is only as good at times as his supporting cast.

Let's hope that BA has the supporting cast and an OC this year, that gives him every opportunity to prove that he can be "a great QB in the clutch". If he is provided with this, then the rest will be up to him.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

hoghiker

Stabler had a lot of great attributes as a quarterback but his greatest asset was he won. I hope Brandon has a great year but he'll be remembered for his wins, or not. I know this sounds simplistic but the only stat that matters is the score on the board at game's end. Everything else is fluff and puff. Great arm, cool as a cucumber, heady, playmaker, tough. Winner is the one you want. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hoghiker on May 17, 2015, 11:51:10 am
Stabler had a lot of great attributes as a quarterback but his greatest asset was he won. I hope Brandon has a great year but he'll be remembered for his wins, or not. I know this sounds simplistic but the only stat that matters is the score on the board at game's end. Everything else is fluff and puff. Great arm, cool as a cucumber, heady, playmaker, tough. Winner is the one you want. 

Granted, loved watching Stabler play, but who did he have as a supporting cast (on both sides of the ball) that helped him win those games? A great QB can't do it all on his own.
Go Hogs Go!

WardamnHOGGLE

The receiver could have stepped to the ball in this play.  Bad throw also.  The defender played it well.  Triple Witching.

Quote from: Josh Goforth on May 17, 2015, 09:02:45 am
Will he be able to overcome those previous clutch moments where he has not had success in the past? I am confident he will in 2015 and when it happens his legacy will be solidified as more than a game manager. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on May 17, 2015, 12:05:49 pm
The receiver could have stepped to the ball in this play.  Bad throw also.  The defender played it well.  Triple Witching.

Two seasons ago. He has come a long way since then and I think that Enos will help him even more.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoghiker on May 17, 2015, 11:51:10 am

I will give you two names to help further Muskogee's point. Marino and Staubach. Are you saying if you were a GM you would not trade for Dan? He played on some bad teams.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Kevin

There comes a time a qb has to make plays in the fourth quarter. We he do that?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Josh Goforth

I think Enos will make a big impact on those situations too. He has been put in quite a few but has yet to come out on top. Mississippi St has been the most cruel and I almost want it to come down to Allen throwing the game winner or some variation just as redemption for those previous games.
All the factors you cited like play calling, wrs getting open, backs in pass pro are valid parts and why the game of football is so interesting. His role at times changes whether behind and needing to lead a drive down the field to get close enough for a fg or that last first down to kill the clock.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Josh Goforth on May 17, 2015, 12:49:02 pm
I think Enos will make a big impact on those situations too. He has been put in quite a few but has yet to come out on top. Mississippi St has been the most cruel and I almost want it to come down to Allen throwing the game winner or some variation just as redemption for those previous games.
All the factors you cited like play calling, wrs getting open, backs in pass pro are valid parts and why the game of football is so interesting. His role at times changes whether behind and needing to lead a drive down the field to get close enough for a fg or that last first down to kill the clock.

Kind of like Casey Dick throwing the game winner against LSU. It was so gratifying to see a young man who went through so much to finally be on top. Even if it were for only one game.

hoghiker

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 17, 2015, 12:42:53 pm
I will give you two names to help further Muskogee's point. Marino and Staubach. Are you saying if you were a GM you would not trade for Dan? He played on some bad teams.
Not arguing that sometimes great quarterbacks don't get stuck with less than great teams. Stabler made the teams he was on better. Great quarterbacks make their teams more competitive. They win sometimes when they probably shouldn't. Essentially, sometimes a great quarterback can take over a game and win it. Great player theory of football.

WardamnHOGGLE

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2015, 12:28:46 pm
Two seasons ago. He has come a long way since then and I think that Enos will help him even more.

I think BA was the most improved player on the team last season. 

Razorback_Mack

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2015, 11:54:48 am
Granted, loved watching Stabler play, but who did he have as a supporting cast (on both sides of the ball) that helped him win those games? A great QB can't do it all on his own.
He's got plenty of help. One of the top 2 O lines in the SEC, 2 of the top ten RB's in the SEC, 2 of the top 10 TE's in the SEC, a serviceable WR corp with a solid vet in a Hatcher leading the way. Also got Jojo and Cornelius who should be good playmakers. Throw in a Dominique Reed who was the top WR in juco.

He's also got a top 20 caliber defense returning.

No excuses this year.

nchogg

BA will be OK this year. As it has been pointed out he played hurt all of 2013. He also was hurt in part of 2014. Coach B has said our defense was just a few plays away from winning a few more games on 2014 and Coach Smith agreed. Coach will not allow an injured QB to play that can't give us the best chance of winning. We will have a backup ready to step in and play calling to compliment his abilities. Our defense will be stronger this year, if you listen to Coach Smith he says they know the system and they will fine tune technique and is harder on his players this year than last. I as always look forward to the new season. This sould be one of our better ones since the JLS disaster.

SRV

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2015, 11:28:30 am
There is a great deal involved in evaluating QB play and a lot more than we, as casual observers, can probably fully understand. It isn't as simple as attempts vs. completions.

We see a QB making a good throw to a receiver in stride or to the sideline just before he steps out of bounds, or a deep fade to the corner of the EZ, and we automatically crown that QB as having a great arm, great touch, great decision making ability, who went through his reads and picked the correct receiver to whom to deliver the ball at the precise right moment between or over coverage.

Sometimes this is accurate, but sometimes (maybe the majority of the time) that doesn't tell the entire story.

You can have a QB who has a great arm who doesn't have a bevy of good to great receivers that run crisp, sharp routes, but he has been told that this is where the OC wants the ball delivered because this is where he believes the QB and receiver should have the greatest opportunity for success in this particular situation, down and distance. That leads to forced throws and sometimes, untimely INT's or PBU's if the QB isn't given the faith of the OC to read the field and find the open receiver.

Or, on any given play, your receivers can run the precise right routes, but perhaps they were delayed getting off the LOS, throwing the timing of the play off, causing the QB to have to continue to hold the ball, while your normally dependable O-Line perhaps mis-steps, loses their angle and allows a defensive player a straight line at your QB, causing him to do one of a variety of unplanned-for things like, get flushed from the pocket, release early, try to force the ball or throw it away.

And maybe just by chance on this play, in the midst of everything else that seems to be happening at the speed of light, your "hot" receiver, a RB or a TE, is picked up and covered, so you have lost your last minute "dump off" that might salvage the play.

QB's are expected to make plays in order to be the ones who receive the national accolades of being considered to be, "a great QB in the clutch". I don't disagree at all. But a lot of other people on the field have to also make plays at key moments to enable the QB to be the "big play" guy at key times when the game is on the line.

Like HC's, a QB is only as good at times as his supporting cast.

Let's hope that BA has the supporting cast and an OC this year, that gives him every opportunity to prove that he can be "a great QB in the clutch". If he is provided with this, then the rest will be up to him.

JMO

Excellent explanation the big picture. Agree completely.

Woo pig!!!
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HVHog on May 17, 2015, 11:16:08 am
My biggest concern with BA is durability.  Each of the last two years he has gotten hurt and the injury adversely affected the team at critical junctures in the season since no suitable backup was ready.  His soph year it affected the whole year, his junior year it likely cost us the Mizzou game and the difference in being 8-5 vs 7-6. He is very susceptible to injury,  and I think our season, as to whether we win 6-7 or win 9-10 is directly related to him staying healthy for once.
The team doctors say you are wrong. I've asked.

Dak Prescott got hurt last year and it probably cost Mississippi State a shot at the national championship. They weren't the same offensively after he started limping around in the last few weeks of the regular season. Actually he's been hurt in each of the past two seasons. He missed the Arkansas game in 2013 and he was injured in a spring break fight this year.

He's 6-2 and 230. Is he very susceptible to injury?

FATHAWG08

What is going to have BA ready for the crucial moments in games this year will be Coach Enos! Having a QB Coach will help accelerate the development of all our QB's.
I love off season Football!!

The NewEra

I could write a thousand words on what my thoughts are about this but I'll do us all a favor and keep it much simpler. 

"Jim Chaney" - We were a VERY good team early in games when we were running our scripted plays.  When we went beyond those then we struggled greatly on offense.  You are only really good at what you practice heavily at.  I saw nothing that led me to believe we had a well conceived and well practiced passing attack.

Maybe I'm drinking way too much Enos cool aid but I think we will see a team this year capable of scoring in multiple facets offensively.  Expect our offense to be well calibrated this year and it may well be BA's year to shine.

Danny J

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 17, 2015, 03:59:27 pm
The team doctors say you are wrong. I've asked.

Dak Prescott got hurt last year and it probably cost Mississippi State a shot at the national championship. They weren't the same offensively after he started limping around in the last few weeks of the regular season. Actually he's been hurt in each of the past two seasons. He missed the Arkansas game in 2013 and he was injured in a spring break fight this year.

He's 6-2 and 230. Is he very susceptible to injury?
Sounds like it.....

And I agree with the person you were quoting. My biggest concern is his ability to stay healthy. If he can stay healthy it is the difference between going 9-3 and 7-5.

Josh Goforth

In that Miss St. game last season he had the big 44 yard bomb to Sprinkle that put them inside the 20 in regulation before the Collins infamous fumble that took it to overtime. That could have been it, but didnt turn out that way. Whether luck, (not sure how much accounts for), bad play calling or whatever other guys overcome that. Enos will not always make the right play call, or even in the two minute situations a lot of times the reigns are taken off of a QB.
AJ McCarron from Alabama is what we seem to want Allen to be, a guy who doesnt make mistakes throughout the game, picks up tough 3rd and longs, throws it away when necessary, and at a moments notice when it really counts can step up and make the play.

Hawgzinbowlz

We should see improvement from the sideline ;
CBB describing Coach Enos : "He's an excellent teacher, just a pure dynamics of throwing the football," Bielema said. "How to handle it, how to manage your eyes, how to manage your footwork. And then he's got tremendous rapport with our players.

BA has steadily improved during his career as A Razorback and '15 should be more of the same. With our week after week SEC schedule there will inevitably be moments where the QB play will decide a game or games...looking forward to seeing Brandon in those moments.
As far as being injury prone, this is the SEC...and injuries happen. If BA is injured we can rest assured he'll give us all he has and it will be up to CDE to have a backup ready, and be willing to insert said backup when needed.
Still beating this dead horse, but it's the offseason.

" GO HOGS "

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Danny J on May 17, 2015, 05:54:41 pm
Sounds like it.....

And I agree with the person you were quoting. My biggest concern is his ability to stay healthy. If he can stay healthy it is the difference between going 9-3 and 7-5.
The biggest concern with any football player is his ability to stay healthy. Injuries are mostly random. I don't know any player who could take a full blown helmet hit to the lower back/upper hip area and not end up with a problem.  It's called a hip pointer. It's very common and it hurts like hell.

As for BA's shoulder separation, the doctor told me it was a freak injury that happens from time to time. He landed on the one spot at the one angle that would produce such an injury. He said it could have happened to any other player on the team.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 17, 2015, 06:48:42 pm
The biggest concern with any football player is his ability to stay healthy. Injuries are mostly random. I don't know any player who could take a full blown helmet hit to the lower back/upper hip area and not end up with a problem.  It's called a hip pointer. It's very common and it hurts like hell.

As for BA's shoulder separation, the doctor told me it was a freak injury that happens from time to time. He landed on the one spot at the one angle that would produce such an injury. He said it could have happened to any other player on the team.
He is in no way injury prone, but like all the QBs in the SEC needs to minimize the number of shots he takes. Hope he can torch some teams who want to pressure him on those 3rd down passing situations.

OTTER

Quote from: Josh Goforth on May 17, 2015, 08:29:53 pm
He is in no way injury prone, but like all the QBs in the SEC needs to minimize the number of shots he takes. Hope he can torch some teams who want to pressure him on those 3rd down passing situations.
You and Mike bring way too much knowledge of the subject at hand.  Thanks to both of you.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Josh Goforth on May 17, 2015, 06:01:03 pm
In that Miss St. game last season he had the big 44 yard bomb to Sprinkle that put them inside the 20 in regulation before the Collins infamous fumble that took it to overtime. That could have been it, but didnt turn out that way. Whether luck, (not sure how much accounts for), bad play calling or whatever other guys overcome that. Enos will not always make the right play call, or even in the two minute situations a lot of times the reigns are taken off of a QB.
AJ McCarron from Alabama is what we seem to want Allen to be, a guy who doesnt make mistakes throughout the game, picks up tough 3rd and longs, throws it away when necessary, and at a moments notice when it really counts can step up and make the play.

I'll say this, given the fact that BA (as we know now in retrospect) probably wasn't receiving the kind of quality QB coaching for the last two seasons and off seasons that he is receiving now, I'm not sure that we could have expected much more from him that what he produced.

On the last drive vs. Miss State last year he took us from our own 18 to the Miss State 16 and yes, with 15 seconds remaining threw an unfortunate pass into the end zone that was intercepted, but everyone in the stadium knew that we were going to throw the ball. They laid back and waited.

I'm of the opinion that we are going to see BA being more technically sound and prepared as a total QB this year and I think he will have more help. Hopefully, if Receivers can't secure a catch they turn into DB's, not allowing the defense to make the INT.
Go Hogs Go!

I've read the entire thread.  Most everything mentioned here applies to about every football team in America at about every level.  For whatever reasons, we have not had a backup QB, at least in the coaches minds, since BB has been coach.  We are deathly afraid to go to our backups at that position.  Players get hurt and backups are necessary.  Thats one reason we are allowed 85 schollies for football. 

As for Brandon, I haven't seen the QB abilities, either physical or mental, that a Championship team needs to be a champion.  Certainly he's played when he shouldn't have due to injury, had WRs let him down from time to time, been stuck with dumb play calling, and been put in situations early on where he should never have been put and certainly was not coached and ready for many of those situations.  However, so far, not once has he been able to manufacture a drive or make chicken salad from chicken feathers, or shake and bake for 7 or any of the things that the position demands  a QB do to gain wins from losses.  I hope this is Brandon's year.  Excuses can be made and complaints can and will be lodged but his stats and record under pressure will be what he is judged for. 

Kevin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2015, 09:06:50 pm
I'll say this, given the fact that BA (as we know now in retrospect) probably wasn't receiving the kind of quality QB coaching for the last two seasons and off seasons that he is receiving now, I'm not sure that we could have expected much more from him that what he produced.

On the last drive vs. Miss State last year he took us from our own 18 to the Miss State 16 and yes, with 15 seconds remaining threw an unfortunate pass into the end zone that was intercepted, but everyone in the stadium knew that we were going to throw the ball. They laid back and waited.

I'm of the opinion that we are going to see BA being more technically sound and prepared as a total QB this year and I think he will have more help. Hopefully, if Receivers can't secure a catch they turn into DB's, not allowing the defense to make the INT.

Didn't we basically have two miracle catches on that drive, then he under threw a fade route. Let's don't rewrite history.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on May 17, 2015, 09:57:57 pm
Didn't we basically have two miracle catches on that drive, then he under threw a fade route. Let's don't rewrite history.

There wasn't anything inaccurate or overstated in what I said about that last drive in the Miss State game and only someone who has a negative bias with regard to BA would suggest that this was an attempt to re-write history. And as I stated above in another post, other players have to step up and make big plays just as much as everyone expects the QB to make big plays. One guy can't do it all. It all works in concert.
Go Hogs Go!

Dumb ole famrboy

Can't see the entire route on the MSU video due to lens view not being wide enough. But it looks as though receiver recognized inside coverage and set for reception to outside shoulder towards sideline. I say bad read by QB and not receiver. Didn't view videos in link.

LZH

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on May 17, 2015, 12:05:49 pm
The receiver could have stepped to the ball in this play.

Exactly.  He may not have caught the ball, but he might have prevented the INT.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Kevin on May 17, 2015, 09:57:57 pm

And let's don't act like we know what we are talking about when it's obvious you don't.  Allen passed for 20 TDs last years with only 5 interceptions.  I'm sure you will find something wrong with that because that's what losers do. 

Kevin

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 18, 2015, 06:53:50 am
And let's don't act like we know what we are talking about when it's obvious you don't.  Allen passed for 20 TDs last years with only 5 interceptions.  I'm sure you will find something wrong with that because that's what losers do. 

Stay on the topic of the miss state game.

Two receivers stepped up and made big time catches, something everyone one complains about, to put the hogs in position to win.

Hogs run a fade route to the end zone , never under throw a fade route, something Qb"s are taught day one.

Bottom line Ba is untouchable on here. I cannot wait I'll we have a Qb not from Arkansas, so maybe we can have rational discussions about his play

nwahogfan1

We need BA to play like a 5th year senior. I think he will.

I know we do not have the big play WRs that we would like but we have enough weapons for BA to have a great year.  I am saying BA will throw for more than 3000 yards and 30 TDs with less than 5 Picks.   I also expect us to run for more than 3000 yards.  Our new OC is going to revive us into a Offensive Machine both on the ground and in the air and keep opposing defenses guessing.

Now next year will probable be entirely different depending on who goes Pro so Offensively we need to have a Great year this year. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on May 18, 2015, 07:00:59 am
Stay on the topic of the miss state game.

Two receivers stepped up and made big time catches, something everyone one complains about, to put the hogs in position to win.

Hogs run a fade route to the end zone , never under throw a fade route, something Qb"s are taught day one.

Bottom line Ba is untouchable on here. I cannot wait I'll we have a Qb not from Arkansas, so maybe we can have rational discussions about his play

I don't think anyone is being irrational in terms of realistic criticism of BA. In fact, he has received a tremendous amount of criticism over time on this board, some fair and some unfair.
Go Hogs Go!

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2015, 06:51:29 am
Exactly.  He may not have caught the ball, but he might have prevented the INT.
Arkansas receivers may not be elite but they are not as bad as as gievn creditby many on this forum. Seperation in routes is not only created by the receiver - it is also created by the QB according to where he throws the ball. Receivers adjust their routes to the ball. On this play the pass should have been thrown to the outside towards the sideline. The receivers momentum was towards the sideline and couldn't adjust to the ball prevent the interception. Based on what I see in the video.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on May 18, 2015, 07:44:45 am
Arkansas receivers may not be elite but they are not as bad as as gievn creditby many on this forum. Seperation in routes is not only created by the receiver - it is also created by the QB according to where he throws the ball. Receivers adjust their routes to the ball. On this play the pass should have been thrown to the outside towards the sideline. The receivers momentum was towards the sideline and couldn't adjust to the ball prevent the interception. Based on what I see in the video.

I'm not sure if you and LZH are talking about the same video here. In the one from two years ago, the WR didn't have an opportunity to break up the INT. In the one from last season, the Receiver did have an opportunity to come back for the ball and break it up.

The one from last year was an underthrown ball by BA and while I am not making excuses for the throw, take a careful look and you'll see a poor block by the RB where the defender leaps over him and is right in BA's face. He had to get rid of the ball immediately or get sacked. Enough loft on the ball? No. Rushed throw? Yes.
Go Hogs Go!

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 18, 2015, 08:06:31 am
I'm not sure if you and LZH are talking about the same video here. In the one from two years ago, the WR didn't have an opportunity to break up the INT. In the one from last season, the Receiver did have an opportunity to come back for the ball and break it up.

The one from last year was an underthrown ball by BA and while I am not making excuses for the throw, take a careful look and you'll see a poor block by the RB where the defender leaps over him and is right in BA's face. He had to get rid of the ball immediately or get sacked. Enough loft on the ball? No. Rushed throw? Yes.
I am not intending to bash BA but trying to defend the Receivers. I believe they get bashed and blamed more than they should. The 2014 fade was a 1st & 10 play, was it not?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on May 18, 2015, 09:02:21 am
I am not intending to bash BA but trying to defend the Receivers. I believe they get bashed and blamed more than they should. The 2014 fade was a 1st & 10 play, was it not?

Yes, it was. I'm not sure what that has to do with my comments. I already said it was an underthrown ball. Could have been thrown away with 15 seconds remaining. I understand. Though he was under pressure, that throw is on BA, no doubt about it. Might have helped if he didn't have a guy in his face, but he should have lofted it more so that they only one who had a chance at the ball was the Receiver. I agree.

But given the throw on that particular ball, the WR could have come back and played it like a DB, but he didn't. There is plenty of fault and failure to go around on that play. The QB, the RB and the WR.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

BA been Hurt and lacked top notch WR corp the past 2 years.    Give the boy Joe Adams and the Warren Boys and he would have won more game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 18, 2015, 09:26:44 am
BA been Hurt and lacked top notch WR corp the past 2 years.    Give the boy Joe Adams and the Warren Boys and he would have won more game.
Give the WR Corp of the last 2 years Mallett or Wilson and I'm sure they would have won more games.

bphi11ips

Guess it was only a matter of time before BA came up again.  All's been quiet on the Hogville front for a couple of weeks now.  The two most polarizing players in Hogville history have to be Mitch Mustain and Brandon Allen. 

If we have to rely on BA to win games, we're in trouble.  This offense is not built that way.  It's built to steamroller you, move the chains with 3rd down possession throws, and occasionally beat you over the top on play action.  It's built to play from the lead, not from behind.

The throw at MSU last year was more of a coaching blunder than anything else.  The ball should have been clocked on first down.  Period.  End of story.  Then we should have taken three shots at the end zone after someone told BA, "Son, better to have died a small child than throw an interception here." 

Game management had as much or more to do with the close losses at MSU and Missouri and to A&M than BA mistakes.  He played well enough to win at A&M, and should have.  The fourth and one call in OT was the worst call I've seen since MOTHO went for it on 4th and 1 from his own 29 in the first quarter against Vanderbilt.  That sideline reporter in the Red-White game could have slipped out into the left flat and scored. 

Brandon Allen will have a good year.  The coaching staff will make better decisions and calls this year.  And the Hogs will win at least 10.  For now, let's talk about the weather or something.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MJ2

Does the entire season hinge on a healthy Brandon Allen?

PorkRinds

Quote from: MJ2 on May 18, 2015, 11:42:46 am
Does the entire season hinge on a healthy Brandon Allen?

For the first time in two seasons, I'd actually say no.  I think we have backups that can at least perform admirably.