Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Have A Proposal

Started by The NewEra, May 15, 2015, 10:04:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

After listening to the obnoxious BIG 10 Fans, Bob Stoops and others in the BIG 12 as they spout off about how over rated the SEC is, and finally after seeing the strength of schedule projections from Phil Steele, I have a proposal for those conferences. 

As a reward for winning the National Championship (whenever those conferences do) they will be allowed to play the next years schedule of the team out of the SEC West with the worst win/loss record that year.  That SEC West team will in return play the next years schedule of that Championship team.  Since the SEC is always so over rated it should be a real reward for those in other conferences who manage to win the National Championship.

This year Ohio State would get to play Arkansas's 2015 schedule and vice versa. 

Wouldn't it be fun to see how each team ended the season after switching schedules?

HeismanHawg

It would be great to see this happen. I'd love to see how and SEC team would fare year to year in different conferences and vice versa.

bennyl08

You'd have an Arkansas team on the bubble of the tournament, probably with a loss or two and a berth in the championship game vs a an ohio state team in a similar position but with no more than one loss and not on the bubble due to being in the SEC. Basically, Arkansas' chances would improve but Ohio State's wouldn't really diminish.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The NewEra

Just for reference, this would be our 2015 schedule if we switched with Ohio State.

What do you think our record would be after playing this schedule?

2015 Ohio State Buckeyes Football Schedule

Sept. 7 Hokies at Virginia Tech Hokies
Sep. 12 Warriors Hawaii Rainbow Warriors
Sep. 19 Huskies Northern Illinois Huskies
Sep. 26 Broncos Western Michigan Broncos
Oct. 3 Hoosiers at Indiana Hoosiers
Oct. 10 Terrapins Maryland Terrapins (HC)
Oct. 17 Nittany Lions Penn State Nittany Lions
Oct. 24 Scarlet Knights at Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Oct. 31 --- Open Date --- ---
Nov. 7 Gophers Minnesota Golden Gophers
Nov. 14 Fighting Illini at Illinois Fighting Illini
Nov. 21 Spartans Michigan State Spartans
Nov. 28 Wolverines at Michigan Wolverines
Dec. 5 Big Ten Big Ten Championship Game

The NewEra

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 15, 2015, 10:38:00 am
You'd have an Arkansas team on the bubble of the tournament, probably with a loss or two and a berth in the championship game vs a an ohio state team in a similar position but with no more than one loss and not on the bubble due to being in the SEC. Basically, Arkansas' chances would improve but Ohio State's wouldn't really diminish.

You're an Ohio State homer aren't you?

HeismanHawg

I would love to see Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc play a season with an SEC west schedule. I don't think they'd even win the division and I think and SEC west team last year would have won the division in another league.

Wildhog

Quote from: The NewEra on May 15, 2015, 10:40:33 am
Just for reference, this would be our 2015 schedule if we switched with Ohio State.

10-2 at worst.  12-0 possible.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HeismanHawg

12-1 WORST case scenario.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: The NewEra on May 15, 2015, 10:41:34 am
You're an Ohio State homer aren't you?

Ohio State is returning a large part of a team that did beat the best team the SEC had to offer this year. I don't think he's being unfair.

Saying OSU plays a weaker schedule than "us" is fair, saying that OSU is not a very good team, currently capable of competing with any team in the SEC is not.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Wildhog on May 15, 2015, 10:42:36 am
10-2 at worst.  12-0 possible.

That is fairly optimistic.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

oldhawg

Good move for Urban Meyer to go to Ohio State.  He knew the road to the national championship would be easier in the Big Ten than the SEC.  It's already paid dividends for him.   

SPAL

Quick....

When was the last time Arkansas beat a Big 10 team?

LRRandy

Quote from: oldhawg on May 15, 2015, 11:16:53 am
Good move for Urban Meyer to go to Ohio State.  He knew the road to the national championship would be easier in the Big Ten than the SEC.  It's already paid dividends for him.
hard to deny the 2 national championships he won while running through the sec.
This is fun, isn't it.

The NewEra

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 15, 2015, 11:12:05 am
Ohio State is returning a large part of a team that did beat the best team the SEC had to offer this year. I don't think he's being unfair.

Saying OSU plays a weaker schedule than "us" is fair, saying that OSU is not a very good team, currently capable of competing with any team in the SEC is not.

I'm not saying OSU is not a good team.  I'm stating that it's the week in and week out grind of the SEC West (in particular) that is so ominous.  OSU would be lucky to end a season with Arkansas schedule with only two losses and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them with four losses.  If they had two losses then they wouldn't make it to the SEC Championship game or the playoffs.

They benefit greatly from their much easier schedule and Arkansas would fair very well if they only had to play OSU's schedule instead of the third hardest rated schedule by Phil Steele.  Arkansas would be a strong contender to win the BIG10 conference if they played OSU's schedule.

The NewEra

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 15, 2015, 11:18:39 am
Quick....

When was the last time Bielema beat a Big10 team?

LRRandy

Quote from: The NewEra on May 15, 2015, 11:21:34 am
I'm not saying OSU is not a good team.  I'm stating that it's the week in and week out grind of the SEC West (in particular) that is so ominous.  OSU would be lucky to end a season with Arkansas schedule with only two losses and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them with four losses.  If they had two losses then they wouldn't make it to the SEC Championship game or the playoffs.

They benefit greatly from their much easier schedule and Arkansas would fair very well if they only had to play OSU's schedule instead of the third hardest rated schedule by Phil Steele.  Arkansas would be a strong contender to win the BIG10 conference if they played OSU's schedule.
so even though tOhio State physically dominated the best the sec had to offer you think they would be lucky not to lose 2-4 games. Curious logic.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 15, 2015, 11:13:49 am
That is fairly optimistic.

That is fairly realistic.  We have a very good team.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LRRandy

Quote from: Wildhog on May 15, 2015, 11:34:23 am
That is fairly realistic.  We have a very good team.
it sure is shaping into one. It's going to be fun seeing how high the hogs can climb.
This is fun, isn't it.

The NewEra

Quote from: LRRandy on May 15, 2015, 11:32:10 am
so even though tOhio State physically dominated the best the sec had to offer you think they would be lucky not to lose 2-4 games. Curious logic.

You keep missing the logic.  The "Logic" is the weekly grind in the SEC West Randy!  Few people should deny the grind is much, much greater in the SEC West than the schedule Ohio State has this year, or had last year.

Sportster365

Quote from: HeismanHawg on May 15, 2015, 10:35:14 am
It would be great to see this happen. I'd love to see how and SEC team would fare year to year in different conferences and vice versa.

I'd like to see an All-SEC team vs an All-BIG or any of the other major conference All-Star team. I think the bragging rights alone would ensure that guys play hard. Much different than the NFL, college shares so much more rivalry and conference pride.

It could be played at the end of the year. Would also be a good gauge for NFL scouts to view potential talent against the closest thing the college level will see to an NFL team.

Wildhog

I don't think OSU would have gotten through the schedule undefeated, but I think they still would have won the SEC last year.  They're ridiculously good.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Sportster365

Quote from: The NewEra on May 15, 2015, 11:46:41 am
You keep missing the logic.  The "Logic" is the weekly grind in the SEC West Randy!  Few people should deny the grind is much, much greater in the SEC West than the schedule Ohio State has this year, or had last year.

I view it similar to how the Memphis Tigers basketball team was under John Calipari. Those teams would runoff 30 plus games with ease year after year due to the talent they were playing in the conf. USA being less than up to par. So throughout their regular season, full of total domination, the Tiger teams garnered much confidence and chemistry due to the lack of friction placed in front of an already super talented team. once they got going it was hard for anyone to stop. In some ways its similar to having a team full of Junior and Seniors who understand how to play with each other. Developing chemistry is key...tOSU captured that along with a very talented roster and good coach was a recipe for success.

Sportster365

But on the flipside of that playing against some really good opponents week after week can bring out the best in you and make you as tough as nails. It's like the kid who always plays ball with the adults, once he back on the court with guys his own age he's way more physical than they are in most cases.

MultipleScoreGasms

(IMHO) I think last year's tOSU team could have made it through an SECW schedule undefeated, and won the NC.  They looked that good.  Year in and year out?  No!  They would likely come in at 2,3, or 4 regularly.  UA would certainly benefit from trading schedules. 

LRRandy

Quote from: The NewEra on May 15, 2015, 11:46:41 am
i understand your logic. There's no question tOhio State doesn't play near the schedule that the teams in the sec west play. I just believe that this tOSU team would be able to win the division and be on the pkayoff. In the sec or any conference.
This is fun, isn't it.

PaintballHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 15, 2015, 10:38:00 am

Disagree.

OSU has a tendency to let bad teams stick around at points throughout a whole season. Replace those bad teams with Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, etc. Those bad teams that stick around become L's to good teams.

Last year they pulled an Eli and the Giants, just got a rhythm and was hot at the right time. They would have at least 3 losses if they had our schedule.

wildturkey8

They are as much as a sure thing as one can be to make the playoff.

The NewEra

Keep in mind that Ohio State lost at home to a 7-6 Virginia Tech team 37-21 last year.  It's hard to make the case that they would have gone undefeated or even with two or less losses if they played Arkansas's schedule last year. Schedules do matter.

I'm not saying they were not a very good team at the end of the year last year. What I'm saying is, would they even have made it to the championship playing our schedule?

Tusks

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 15, 2015, 11:18:39 am
Quick....

Northwestern?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

SPAL

Quote from: tusked on May 15, 2015, 01:14:06 pm
Northwestern?

I honestly don't know. We have been dominated by the big 10, so much so that nobody can remember when we last won a game against them.

But in typical hogville fashion, we wanna discredit the big 10 when arkansas can't win against them, and the big 10 just dismantled the SEC in bowl games, including their best beating our best.

Some guy has a quote on  here that says if he ever needs an attorney,  the first question he will ask is "do you post on hogville?"

This logic is why.

nationwish

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on May 15, 2015, 12:12:28 pm
(IMHO) I think last year's tOSU team could have made it through an SECW schedule undefeated, and won the NC.  They looked that good.  Year in and year out?  No!  They would likely come in at 2,3, or 4 regularly.  UA would certainly benefit from trading schedules.

Don't confuse how good they were at the end of the year with them being that great all year long. There was a reason a lot of people didn't think Ohio State should have made the playoff last year. While they looked great at the end of the year, they really didn't come into form until the later part of the season. They definitely deserved the championship last year, but they also could have had multiple losses in another conference.

LZH

Pig in the Pokey

omg gag. how could they ever field a team that can't run the table with a schedule like that?? Dear God in Heaven, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give the Hogs a shot at these clowns in a playoff game someday!!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The NewEra on May 15, 2015, 11:23:47 am
When was the last time Bielema beat a Big10 team?

The last time he coached against one I believe......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 16, 2015, 11:49:13 am
omg gag. how could they ever field a team that can't run the table with a schedule like that?? Dear God in Heaven, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give the Hogs a shot at these clowns in a playoff game someday!!!

Frankly I hadn't paid much attention to that conference schedule, mostly 'cause conference slates are tougher to win on the field than they are on paper - that's just the nature of being in a conference...any conference.  But looking thru it now, well hell, Arkansas State could win eight or nine games with that schedule.  That's pretty weak.

Hogarusa

SEC fans are so silly with this argument.  Ohio State would win 10+ games every year in the SEC.  They are a dominant program
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The NewEra

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 16, 2015, 01:58:34 pm
The last time he coached against one I believe......................

Exactly! That's my point we have a different coach these days is proven he can win in the Big Ten.

The NewEra

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 16, 2015, 02:12:58 pm
SEC fans are so silly with this argument.  Ohio State would win 10+ games every year in the SEC.  They are a dominant program

That is such a silly statement. Ohio State lost at home to Virginia Tech a 7-6 team last year.  They would have a heckuva time not losing three games in an SEC West weekly grind schedule.

LRRandy

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 16, 2015, 11:49:13 am
short memory. The sugar bowl says hello. Your going to need to get to a high level bowl first though. Ohio State typically doesn't play in Memphis or Shreveport.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: The NewEra on May 16, 2015, 02:24:32 pm
That is such a silly statement. Ohio State lost at home to Virginia Tech a 7-6 team last year.  They would have a heckuva time not losing three games in an SEC West weekly grind schedule.
keep clinging to that Va. Tech game for moral victory. Ohio State physically dominated the best the sec had to offer. Had it not been for early turnovers and falling in a 21-6 hole they would have blown Bama out.
This is fun, isn't it.

LZH

Quote from: LRRandy on May 16, 2015, 02:59:24 pm
short memory. The sugar bowl says hello. Your going to need to get to a high level bowl first though. Ohio State typically doesn't play in Memphis or Shreveport.

C'mon Randy, you gotta admit that the 2015 schedule is like paddling down-river all the way thru til the Michigan State game.  Would Ohio State do well in the SEC?  Sure they would.  But that schedule posted above is paper-thin until the last two weeks of the season.

MissippHog

While there are some average to good teams on that schedule, Michigan State is the only team that would worry me.

Hogarusa

Quote from: The NewEra on May 16, 2015, 02:24:32 pm

Good stuff.  Did you miss the butt whupping 42 points they put on the SEC best, Bama.  Of course you didnt.  Strong argument to take 1 game out of 15 from a national champion.  Good sample size.  In the other 14 games, they put 30+ on the scoreboard 14 times, 40+ 11 times, and 50+ 6 times.  They are a dynasty in the process with Urban at the helm.

Hogarusa

8-4.  You fools have seen how Arkansas fares vs Big 10 teams over the past 15 years, correct? Nothing has changed

The NewEra

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 16, 2015, 04:53:19 pm
Good stuff.  Did you miss the butt whupping 42 points they put on the SEC best, Bama.  Of course you didnt.  Strong argument to take 1 game out of 15 from a national champion.  Good sample size.  In the other 14 games, they put 30+ on the scoreboard 14 times, 40+ 11 times, and 50+ 6 times.  They are a dynasty in the process with Urban at the helm.

This is why my proposal makes sense. It's the only way to resolve this argument. But, they wouldn't have the gonads to take the challenge.

Does anyone think the prior year National Champ, Florida State would have fared well with our schedule last year? 

The NewEra

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 16, 2015, 04:56:28 pm
8-4.  You fools have seen how Arkansas fares vs Big 10 teams over the past 15 years, correct? Nothing has changed

You fools don't seem to remember, that we hired a Big Ten coach who won three conference championships over there. :).   Things have changed.

lefty08

I'm of the thinking that being in the SEC would alter the thinking of Ohio St as a dominant power. Look at Florida and Tennessee. The buckeyes would surely have lulls just like those schools at some point. Put them in this conference in the 70s and a lot of posters would say "who?" when talking about them. Location and conference affiliation goes a long ways in determining who the powers are
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

LRRandy

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2015, 03:35:41 pm
C'mon Randy, you gotta admit that the 2015 schedule is like paddling down-river all the way thru til the Michigan State game.  Would Ohio State do well in the SEC?  Sure they would.  But that schedule posted above is paper-thin until the last two weeks of the season.
Zep, I've not one time touted the strength of schedule of tOSU ( lord, how could I). My contention is that they would do just fine against an sec schedule, such as the one Arkansas plays.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: The NewEra on May 16, 2015, 05:01:08 pm
This is why my proposal makes sense. It's the only way to resolve this argument. But, they wouldn't have the gonads to take the challenge.

Does anyone think the prior year National Champ, Florida State would have fared well with our schedule last year?
ill bet you Jeff Long isn't picking up the phone to schedule tOhio State. What do they need to resolve after putting a beating on king of the sec Bama and Tuscalucifer. Beat Bama. Then maybe you could run your mouth.
This is fun, isn't it.

870hogfan

Quote from: LRRandy on May 16, 2015, 05:33:41 pm
ill bet you Jeff Long isn't picking up the phone to schedule tOhio State. What do they need to resolve after putting a beating on king of the sec Bama and Tuscalucifer. Beat Bama. Then maybe you could run your mouth.

Ohio State would be 8-4 in the SEC.