Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN-SEC Returns to Power? Conferences Drained of Talent

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 15, 2015, 07:27:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

In 2013, it yielded a stunning 63 draft picks, including 32 in the first three rounds. It led the nation with 49 selections in 2014, including 11 in the first round. Yet the slight downtick in the SEC's 2014 season and draft results this spring might actually not indicate the conference is losing ground. It might presage a big return to power this fall, see a high number of returning starters per team -- with Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, LSU and Texas A&M leading the charge -- and a solid nine returning starting quarterbacks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/110901/reviewing-2015-talent-drain-among-power-5
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HeismanHawg

Really going back 2 to 3 years there were a lot of underclassmen being drafted. Eventually (last year) I think it finally caught up a little to teams like Bama and LSU.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Cinco de Hogo

HeismanHawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 15, 2015, 08:19:59 am
The SEC will be Back this Fall Bank on it.

Agreed. Still not sure there is a "dominant" team like there has been like Bama and LSU some years.

JansterZ71

Quote from: HeismanHawg on May 15, 2015, 10:36:33 am
Agreed. Still not sure there is a "dominant" team like there has been like Bama and LSU some years.
Can't really say that until season plays out.  Auburn/Bama/LSU really have a chance to dominate (on paper)
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

The NewEra

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 15, 2015, 11:41:32 am
Can't really say that until season plays out.  Auburn/Bama/LSU really have a chance to dominate (on paper)

I have Arkansas on that list this year.

HeismanHawg

True, I guess you just get used to the normal suspect (BAMA) being the big dog in town. Auburn has a chance to be good (If D is good). I think bama and lsu will struggle this year due to the QB position.

JansterZ71

Quote from: HeismanHawg on May 15, 2015, 12:47:54 pm
True, I guess you just get used to the normal suspect (BAMA) being the big dog in town. Auburn has a chance to be good (If D is good). I think bama and lsu will struggle this year due to the QB position.
I agree.  But for the same reason Bama/LSU will struggle Auburn will be elite on O (QB spot)
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

870hogfan

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 15, 2015, 12:59:20 pm
I agree.  But for the same reason Bama/LSU will struggle Auburn will be elite on O (QB spot)

Auburn the most hyped 7-5 team in the nation.

JansterZ71

870hogfan

JansterZ71

Quote from: 870hogfan on May 15, 2015, 01:06:23 pm

Arkansas will beat the Gus bus this year.

Maybe if BA has a good game.  Kentucky and Arkansas Will be a trap games for Auburn.  Arkansas always plays Auburn well no matter who had the better team. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HeismanHawg on May 15, 2015, 12:47:54 pm
I think bama and lsu will struggle this year due to the QB position.

What is striking this upcoming season is the lack of elite QB play that will be prevalent across all of the major FBS conferences.  I can really only think of the following 3 teams that will have elite QB play (there is a potential for a 4th team).

TCU   Boykin
Clemson   Watson
Ohio State   Jones

Auburn   Johnson (has the possibility of being elite)

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 15, 2015, 08:02:19 am
The SEC hasn't won a NC in two seasons.  LOL!

Just in case that wasn't heavy on the sarcasm, tell us about the 7 previous years.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 15, 2015, 01:27:38 pm
Just in case that wasn't heavy on the sarcasm, tell us about the 7 previous years.

I think bp was being sarcastic, referencing a quote from another article that stated the fact that the SEC hasn't won a NC in two years, as if it were some kind of meaningful trend. I don't mean to speak for him at all, but I believe that is where he was coming from in making that post.

I also believe that there are some teams, the bigger named teams that belong to other conferences that have improved. But those conferences as a whole, compared to the SEC in terms of relatively close competition across the board, simply don't possess the overall talent base from top to bottom that the SEC does. Put our top 6 teams in any other conference and let them play that schedule and see where that conferences' team standings lay out at the end of the year.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

The SEC may be deeper today than it has been in a decade. Is it as good at the top? Probably not and it probably means the SEC won't win a title again this year.

For the life of me I can't understand the hype behind Auburns program. Treadwell's broken leg at the goal line saved them from a losing record in conference last year. Their "amazing" starter started 2 games last year. Top 5 preseason is kinda hilarious
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: lefty08 on May 16, 2015, 07:07:40 am
The SEC may be deeper today than it has been in a decade. Is it as good at the top? Probably not and it probably means the SEC won't win a title again this year.

For the life of me I can't understand the hype behind Auburns program. Treadwell's broken leg at the goal line saved them from a losing record in conference last year. Their "amazing" starter started 2 games last year. Top 5 preseason is kinda hilarious
I still think it is as good as ever, but with the added parity and depth of the conference, going 10-12 deep :)  , that it is almost impossible to be that dominant. It is so much more like the nfl now.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

JansterZ71

Quote from: lefty08 on May 16, 2015, 07:07:40 am

I think it's Muschamp that's getting all the hype.  Johnson is the real deal at QB, that's not ok question.  I'm not saying Auburn deserves to be in top 5 but the hype is warranted.  If Auburn's D was any good last year they would have finished too 10 if not been in the playoffs.  Everybody assumes Muschamp will whip the D in shape.

lefty08

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 16, 2015, 06:36:34 pm
I think it's Muschamp that's getting all the hype.  Johnson is the real deal at QB, that's not ok question.  I'm not saying Auburn deserves to be in top 5 but the hype is warranted.  If Auburn's D was any good last year they would have finished too 10 if not been in the playoffs.  Everybody assumes Muschamp will whip the D in shape.

The Truth his nobody has seen enough of Johnson to know what he is. His "lights out" performance last year earned Auburn a tie at the half with Arkansas. And that was start 1 of 2 last year. You don't know, I don't know, nobody knows what he's gonna do when the bullets start flying
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

LZH

Quote from: lefty08 on May 16, 2015, 08:15:55 pm
when the bullets start flying

Oh my goodness lefty, you didn't just use a Nuttism, did ya?

lefty08

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2015, 08:21:04 pm
Oh my goodness lefty, you didn't just use a Nuttism, did ya?

Oh God, I did, should I ban myself for a week?

At least tell me I'm right.....

LZH

Quote from: lefty08 on May 16, 2015, 08:23:43 pm

Oh God, I did, should I ban myself for a week?

At least tell me I'm right.....

Let's just ignore it and act like it never happened - I doubt anyone will notice anyway - because I KNOW FOR A FACT that you didn't do it on purpose.  :)

lefty08

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2015, 08:36:08 pm
Let's just ignore it and act like it never happened - I doubt anyone will notice anyway - because I KNOW FOR A FACT that you didn't do it on purpose.  :)

Deal!  I'll owe ya one. Good thing nobody else can read what we are posting

Hawgvillain

Quote from: lefty08 on May 16, 2015, 08:15:55 pm
The Truth his nobody has seen enough of Johnson to know what he is. His "lights out" performance last year earned Auburn a tie at the half with Arkansas. And that was start 1 of 2 last year. You don't know, I don't know, nobody knows what he's gonna do when the bullets start flying
Yep.  That dude may be a stud but people need to pump the breaks on calling him a top 4 qb in the nation.  Has he even played a full game at qb?

If he was so great, why wouldn't he have gotten more snaps on a 7-5 team last year?

rljjr

Quote from: Hawgvillain on May 16, 2015, 08:45:04 pm
Yep.  That dude may be a stud but people need to pump the breaks on calling him a top 4 qb in the nation.  Has he even played a full game at qb?

If he was so great, why wouldn't he have gotten more snaps on a 7-5 team last year?

Fair enough on his greatness. However, I was at the AU game last year and the guy looks like he has far greater upside than any other QB I saw last season. We'll have to watch how it plays out. Either way I think we beat AU this year by a large margin. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rljjr on May 16, 2015, 09:27:06 pm
Fair enough on his greatness. However, I was at the AU game last year and the guy looks like he has far greater upside than any other QB I saw last season. We'll have to watch how it plays out. Either way I think we beat AU this year by a large margin. 

I think that if the Auburn offense rolls this year, it may be a tougher game than we expect. My reasoning for this is that Muschamp is a pretty doggone good DC. His first three years as the HC at Florida his defenses ranked in the top 10 in the country. Granted he inherited a lot of really good talent at Florida with which to accomplish those rankings, but he is inheriting a lot of good talent coming into Auburn as well. Is it the kind of positional talent that he needs to effectively execute his particular system? We will see in the Fall, but I am not taking Auburn for granted. We don't have to absolutely demolish them, we just need to win, whether it is by 1 point or 50.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2015, 06:15:07 am
I think that if the Auburn offense rolls this year, it may be a tougher game than we expect. My reasoning for this is that Muschamp is a pretty doggone good DC. His first three years as the HC at Florida his defenses ranked in the top 10 in the country. Granted he inherited a lot of really good talent at Florida with which to accomplish those rankings, but he is inheriting a lot of good talent coming into Auburn as well. Is it the kind of positional talent that he needs to effectively execute his particular system? We will see in the Fall, but I am not taking Auburn for granted. We don't have to absolutely demolish them, we just need to win, whether it is by 1 point or 50.

I'm not by any means claiming that game a win for the Hogs either, just saying a top 5 preseason ranking for Auburn is ridiculous

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lefty08 on May 17, 2015, 07:21:45 am
I'm not by any means claiming that game a win for the Hogs either, just saying a top 5 preseason ranking for Auburn is ridiculous

Eh, you know how it is, pre-season rankings are pretty meaningless and are only for readership. It's not hard to say that some teams probably should be considered for an early ranking in the top 10, but jumping an 8-5 team last year, with a new DC into the top 5 for this year? I agree that might be a bit over the top.
Go Hogs Go!

presidenthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2015, 07:47:19 am
Eh, you know how it is, pre-season rankings are pretty meaningless and are only for readership. It's not hard to say that some teams probably should be considered for an early ranking in the top 10, but jumping an 8-5 team last year, with a new DC into the top 5 for this year? I agree that might be a bit over the top.
I'm really ready to see if muschamp can turn that defense into a good defense or if it will be like being a DC for ol bobby and you can't make a weak defense suddenly strong.

DeltaBoy

The Other Big 5 are chomping to see us Fail again. !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

swinemaster

Johnson was throwing pass skel against us last year.  Our safeties were lost and the middle of the field was WIDE OPEN.  I put no bearing whatsoever on how he looked against us last year. 

Our defense had no clue in week one last year.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: swinemaster on May 18, 2015, 04:53:20 pm
Johnson was throwing pass skel against us last year.  Our safeties were lost and the middle of the field was WIDE OPEN.  I put no bearing whatsoever on how he looked against us last year. 

No doubt swap Ole Miss and Auburn and we would have spanked Tigger 2 In Nov.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 15, 2015, 08:02:19 am
The SEC hasn't won a NC in two seasons.  LOL!

Whose got a slumpbuster that can go around to each team?  If you know what I mean

Hog N Bama

onebadrubi

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 16, 2015, 06:36:34 pm

Aren't you a huge auburn fan and troll?

JansterZ71

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 22, 2015, 08:55:28 am
Aren't you a huge auburn fan and troll?

I'm not a troll.  I am an Alumni.  I just post from a different perspective,  through orange & blue tinted glasses and not Red & white.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

Definition of Troll

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 22, 2015, 09:18:50 am
I'm not a troll.  I am an Alumni.  I just post from a different perspective,  through orange & blue tinted glasses and not Red & white.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

Definition of Troll

And so your purpose in posting on this board is what? To provide stimulating and informed conversation in support of the Hogs? Come on, man.
Go Hogs Go!

JansterZ71

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 22, 2015, 09:24:09 am
And so your purpose in posting on this board is what? To provide stimulating and informed conversation in support of the Hogs? Come on, man.

I stick to SEC sports talk. 

hogcard1964

Don't overlook us.  If we somehow get through the juggernaut of Tenner and Bama, the sky's the limit.

lefty08

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 22, 2015, 09:28:53 am
I stick to SEC sports talk.

There is an SEC sports board.......thought I'd point it out

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

All we know about Jeremy Johnson at this point is that Gus fell all over himself to keep Johnson off the field in the second half last year

Phil D

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2015, 06:15:07 am

I agree Muskogee. The deal is with Muschamp that defense will be better, and their strength is also by his own account in their front seven. He has stated that he is worried about the talent and depth on the back end. I think the key to this game will be stretching the field and tendency breakers on early downs to soften them up. the game is winnable but I don't think it will be a cakewalk by any means. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: swinemaster on May 18, 2015, 04:53:20 pm

While that is all true, there's another factor involved in there that won't apply this year: last year AU had one heck of a WR corp for him to throw to -- maybe the best in the entire country.

They lost some significant talent from that group in the draft.  I don't doubt Johnson's arm talent, nor do I doubt Gus' ability to call plays.

I think they'll be a handful because of that, and because they'll being a talented team, top to bottom.

But they are handicapped on D by having to play in Gus' HUNH system, and that will work to our favor.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

JansterZ71

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 25, 2015, 01:15:10 pm
While that is all true, there's another factor involved in there that won't apply this year: last year AU had one heck of a WR corp for him to throw to -- maybe the best in the entire country.

They lost some significant talent from that group in the draft.  I don't doubt Johnson's arm talent, nor do I doubt Gus' ability to call plays.

I think they'll be a handful because of that, and because they'll being a talented team, top to bottom.

But they are handicapped on D by having to play in Gus' HUNH system, and that will work to our favor.

Auburn lost one third round WR but still have projected first round pick in Duke Williams. 

JansterZ71

Quote from: lefty08 on May 25, 2015, 10:07:34 am
There is an SEC sports board.......thought I'd point it out

Then this thread should be on it no?

JansterZ71

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 25, 2015, 10:18:39 am
As evidenced by this post in MMQB, apparently not.
SMH,  is this not a thread talking about the SEC?  Not just Arky

lefty08

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 25, 2015, 05:34:12 pm
Then this thread should be on it no?

Probably should be. Guess you just stumbled upon it. Accidentally mis-clicked here instead of the SEC sports board? I do that sometimes too