Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench-Where Would Program Be Now Had Petrino Won National Title Prior to Motorbike Mishap?

Started by Robert Shields, May 11, 2015, 11:21:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Doug on May 12, 2015, 09:51:12 pm
Seriously disappointed by the lack of "Did not read" imagry. Y'all fail. GET WITH THE DAMN PROGRAM AND DO YOUR JOBS!

How I feel after seeing R"b"S posts another thread on Mondays...

Is this like strategery?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Professor Psychosis

If we'd won against Florida in the SEC Championship Game, we would not have gone to the BCS Championship Game in 2006.  We lost to LSU in Little Rock the week before.  We would've played Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl, and probably won (LSU blew 'em out), and been thrilled but disappointed because it should've been more.  Then again, with our bowl history at that point, plus Nutt having a team in New Orleans, we might've shown up hungover and lost ala Las Vegas.

That's as far as I got.

Calling All Hogs

FATHAWG08

How many places has CBP stayed 6 years? Had he not wrecked the bike he would had left within 2 years after Sugar Bowl. His track record shows that. The wreck was a blessing to Hog Nation. We are on solid ground with CBB!
I love off season Football!!

HouSwine

I'm sure it has been said in many ways but a tad too speculative even for you, ya know?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 12, 2015, 12:23:20 pm
Sept 25, 2010 is a day for me that will live in infamy. I had been going to games since I was 8 years old in  92 (yes I know. Not that long compared to others). Never ever has the excitement been at such a fever pitch for one single game. We scored after our first two plays and the place was gonig bonkers...ABSOLUTE bonkers. The onslaught didnt end there. We were carrying a 13 point lead and had all the momentum in the world until we just flat out stopped giving the ball the Knile Davis. Green had some good runs but I never understood why we gave the rock to him so much. We lost that game at the end because we just couldnt run the ball or refused to run the ball. Mallett had two very key interceptions and what happened was one of the most hurful losses I've ever been apart of as a Razorback fan.

That 2010 team was good but could have been so much better had we decided to trust the best running back on the team that day.

And...in my mind, BP followed that up with a horrible coaching job in the Sugar Bowl.  I know people blame Joe Adams for missing that catch on our first drive that was going to "set the tone" for the entire game, but I thought the tone was set before the game ever started.  BP, in the endzone pre-game interview with Holly, I think it was, said very clearly that our strategy was to get to Pryor and rattle him.  At that moment, I thought..."I hope we get to him and force a turnover, because that's exactly what mobile QB's want teams to do against them."  From the first snap on defense, we rushed recklessly, and it played right into Pryor's hands.  One juke, and he was 10 yards before anyone could touch him. 

Then...later in the game when they absolutely could not even slow KD down, he inexplicably went to the pass game. 

So I constantly hear about how great of an "in game" coach he was.  At times, yes.  But when it mattered the most, he seemed to make some odd decisions.  To this day I'm convinced that if we just played solid assignment defense in the first half instead of digging a hole, we would have won easily.  Despite that deficit, we still should have won just based on our dominance in the second half if he had stuck with running KD. 

And yes...I'm arm chairing that 100%.  But I've seen enough football over the years to know that you have to first contain mobile QB's, and you DO NOT go away from something that is working.  On both counts...BP failed in that game, and even with the Tattoo'd players, we were the better team.  Coaching lost that game for us. 

Does he deserve credit for bringing Arkansas football back.  ABSOLUTELY.  It was an exciting style to watch, but too much Baylor-esque.  All offense, not nearly enough defense.  Then when things don't click, you have nothing to fall back on. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 14, 2015, 08:29:59 am
And...in my mind, BP followed that up with a horrible coaching job in the Sugar Bowl.  I know people blame Joe Adams for missing that catch on our first drive that was going to "set the tone" for the entire game, but I thought the tone was set before the game ever started.  BP, in the endzone pre-game interview with Holly, I think it was, said very clearly that our strategy was to get to Pryor and rattle him.  At that moment, I thought..."I hope we get to him and force a turnover, because that's exactly what mobile QB's want teams to do against them."  From the first snap on defense, we rushed recklessly, and it played right into Pryor's hands.  One juke, and he was 10 yards before anyone could touch him. 

Then...later in the game when they absolutely could not even slow KD down, he inexplicably went to the pass game. 

So I constantly hear about how great of an "in game" coach he was.  At times, yes.  But when it mattered the most, he seemed to make some odd decisions.  To this day I'm convinced that if we just played solid assignment defense in the first half instead of digging a hole, we would have won easily.  Despite that deficit, we still should have won just based on our dominance in the second half if he had stuck with running KD. 

And yes...I'm arm chairing that 100%.  But I've seen enough football over the years to know that you have to first contain mobile QB's, and you DO NOT go away from something that is working.  On both counts...BP failed in that game, and even with the Tattoo'd players, we were the better team.  Coaching lost that game for us. 

Does he deserve credit for bringing Arkansas football back.  ABSOLUTELY.  It was an exciting style to watch, but too much Baylor-esque.  All offense, not nearly enough defense.  Then when things don't click, you have nothing to fall back on. 

I'm glad Bobby's gone. BUT it is always amazing when ordinary fans say when a comeback works and they win it they say "great comeback and play calling". When it doesn't work and they fall short despite a valiant effort they say "dumb, bad or odd play calling". You mention the dropped pass early but NOT the INT late or the very unlikely statistically to block kick. I hate to say it but we were not the better team that day or we would have won. I was there and it was a great game and we fell short but Bobby's play calling had nothing to do with it. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Yeah I can't argue the fact that there were quite a few games that Petrino just flat out over-coached (or that's what I'd call it) himself right into trouble.  Of course, if Tressell hadn't gone numb and totally gotten away from what Pryor was doing in the first half, we'd never had a chance at the end of the game anyway.

GuvHog

So an inexperienced Freshman's mistake of covering a block punt instead of picking it up and running into the end zone for what would have been the winning Touchdown had nothing to do with it?? Yeah right.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2015, 08:58:53 am
So an inexperienced Freshman's mistake of covering a block punt instead of picking it up and running into the end zone for what would have been the winning Touchdown had nothing to do with it?? Yeah right.

Good Lord Guv.  That was a fluke play to begin with.  I'm talking about COACHING.  Pay attention.  COACHING had nothing to do with their punt returner botching the catch did it? 

I'm talking about how we did not contain Pryor, and chose not to run KD late in the game for whatever reason when he was going through their team like a knife through butter.  I KNOW I wasn't the only one who watched that. 

I was like everyone else...loved watching the Hogs under BP.  But he wasn't the mastermind that I see him continually being made out to be.  I think he was/is good at using a system to get more from less with regard to talent, but he's yet to show he can win against the top programs on a consistent basis. 

I'm not one who is sold that CBB is going to do infinitely better here, and am betting the farm on it.  I have hopes, because I do value him doing things the right way for our program.

I don't think OSU was the better team that day.  I also think we were the better team against Bama that year too.  While I do believe better coaching could have won those games, I also acknowledge that without BP's system, we may have never been in those games to begin with.  There's always two sides to the coin.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 14, 2015, 08:42:18 am
I'm glad Bobby's gone. BUT it is always amazing when ordinary fans say when a good comeback works and they win it they say"great comeback and play calling". When it doesn't work and they fall short despite a valiant effort they say dumb, bad or odd play calling". You mention the dropped pass early but NOT the INT late or the very unlikely statistically to recover kick. I hate to say it but we were not the better team that day or we would have won. I was there and it was a great game and we fell short but Bobby's play calling had nothing to do with it.

We had our chances to capitalize on their mistakes, and we made some of our own.  But...I don't think we ever spot them 3 TD's if we contained Pryor from the outset.  We did much better in the second half, and in my mind what some other poster mentioned as Tressell getting away from what was working was more about us playing MUCH better on defense. 

We'll never know.  What I do know is that I'm mad at myself for getting into this conversation about BP, because it's about as relevant to anything going on with the football program now as whether or not Broyles' recruits were the reason Lou Holtz was so successful those first few years, or if it was his amazing coaching mind.  It doesn't matter...

The_Iceman

hogcard1964

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 14, 2015, 08:42:18 am
I'm glad Bobby's gone. BUT it is always amazing when ordinary fans say when a comeback works and they win it they say "great comeback and play calling". When it doesn't work and they fall short despite a valiant effort they say "dumb, bad or odd play calling". You mention the dropped pass early but NOT the INT late or the very unlikely statistically to block kick. I hate to say it but we were not the better team that day or we would have won. I was there and it was a great game and we fell short but Bobby's play calling had nothing to do with it.

Well said. 

...and from what I remember Adams had two huge drops in that game.  One over the middle early that would have went for a TD and one in the endzone.  He was not ready to play.

GuvHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 14, 2015, 09:17:02 am
Good Lord Guv.  That was a fluke play to begin with.  I'm talking about COACHING.  Pay attention.  COACHING had nothing to do with their punt returner botching the catch did it? 

I'm talking about how we did not contain Pryor, and chose not to run KD late in the game for whatever reason when he was going through their team like a knife through butter.  I KNOW I wasn't the only one who watched that. 

I was like everyone else...loved watching the Hogs under BP.  But he wasn't the mastermind that I see him continually being made out to be.  I think he was/is good at using a system to get more from less with regard to talent, but he's yet to show he can win against the top programs on a consistent basis. 

I'm not one who is sold that CBB is going to do infinitely better here, and am betting the farm on it.  I have hopes, because I do value him doing things the right way for our program.

I don't think OSU was the better team that day.  I also think we were the better team against Bama that year too.  While I do believe better coaching could have won those games, I also acknowledge that without BP's system, we may have never been in those games to begin with.  There's always two sides to the coin.   

What are you talking about?? Near the end of the Sugar Bowl the Hogs flat out blocked a punt and it was rolling toward the end zone surrounded by Hogs with no Buckeye players anywhere close. Instead of picking the ball up and virtually walking into the end zone for the winning Touchdown, the young freshman covered the ball at the 15. Where in the world did you get that the OSU punt returner botched a catch on that play???

WorfHog

LZH

Quote from: WorfHog on May 14, 2015, 11:29:08 am
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

If I could, I'd be doing it constantly.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Robert Shields on May 11, 2015, 11:21:15 am
Where Would Program Be Now Had Petrino Won National Title Prior to Motorbike Mishap?

Robert Shields

Back by popular demand, From the Bench plays "What if?" going back in time a la "Hot Tub Time Machine" to see what might have happened had the wheels of history turned a different direction.

Send what you think happens to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2015, 10:15:11 am
What are you talking about?? Near the end of the Sugar Bowl the Hogs flat out blocked a punt and it was rolling toward the end zone surrounded by Hogs with no Buckeye players anywhere close. Instead of picking the ball up and virtually walking into the end zone for the winning Touchdown, the young freshman covered the ball at the 15. Where in the world did you get that the OSU punt returner botched a catch on that play???

Yeah, that was a fluke play, and I have no idea how I got ahead of myself to get to the point and completed muffed my memory recall to it being a fumbled punt.     

Even with that completely incorrect recall, it was a fluke play, and you can't depend on that to win football games consistently.  Again, I don't care if you or anyone else disagrees with me about the coaching in that game, and I won't change my mind.  I already KNOW you won't change yours.  My opinion is that he made some critical coaching errors in that game that cost us a BCS win. 

It doesn't matter...his questionable on field coaching decisions pale by comparison to his off the field decisions anyway.   ;)   

twistitup

Quote from: WorfHog on May 14, 2015, 11:29:08 am
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

Isn't that a verse from that Johnny Cash Song?----"If I were a carpenter and you were my lady....."
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GuvHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 14, 2015, 09:02:54 pm
Yeah, that was a fluke play, and I have no idea how I got ahead of myself to get to the point and completed muffed my memory recall to it being a fumbled punt.     

Even with that completely incorrect recall, it was a fluke play, and you can't depend on that to win football games consistently.  Again, I don't care if you or anyone else disagrees with me about the coaching in that game, and I won't change my mind.  I already KNOW you won't change yours.  My opinion is that he made some critical coaching errors in that game that cost us a BCS win. 

It doesn't matter...his questionable on field coaching decisions pale by comparison to his off the field decisions anyway.   ;)   

My point is even with those coaching mistakes, the Hogs were in position to win that game and should have. The blocked punt wasn't a fluke, it was a perfectly executed special teams defensive play which should have resulted in the winning TD.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: twistitup on May 14, 2015, 09:10:12 pm
Isn't that a verse from that Johnny Cash Song?----"If I were a carpenter and you were my lady....."
Scary that my mind went to the exact same place lol

HOGGISHABOUTAR

All speculative. Don't care. Petrinos a slug. I`d love to put coach B, and Coach P in the ring, and watch Coach B smash Coach P. No contest.

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGGISHABOUTAR on May 15, 2015, 08:52:14 am
All speculative. Don't care. Petrinos a slug. I`d love to put coach B, and Coach P in the ring, and watch Coach B smash Coach P. No contest.

You won't find me disagreeing about CBB being the better coach of the 2. He most certainly is IMHO.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on May 15, 2015, 08:16:58 am
My point is even with those coaching mistakes, the Hogs were in position to win that game and should have. The blocked punt wasn't a fluke, it was a perfectly executed special teams defensive play which should have resulted in the winning TD.

I will not argue that point Guv.  Maybe we finally agree on something.  I should go get the thermometer and make sure I'm not running a fever. 

I know forever more people will remember BP as doing more with less.  Nutt managed to take the best team we've ever assembled and underachieve with them.  I think BP was similar in 2010.  I think that team had a load of talent, and if he had started the season with KD as the feature back, we probably beat Bama.  Who knows where that would have landed us?  I just don't see him as this genius who can win with a bunch of snags.  That team was LOADED on offense, and with any emphasis on defense, and a little better strategy...no way we lose to OSU. 

At any rate...it doesn't matter now.  I just hope we continue to improve and we get to see something special in the coming years.  We've seen enough ugly for awhile! 

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

One of the sillier posts I've seen in a while.  Quite expected though.
Let's make some waves.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Robert Shields on May 11, 2015, 11:21:15 am
Where Would Program Be Now Had Petrino Won National Title Prior to Motorbike Mishap?

Robert Shields

Back by popular demand, From the Bench plays "What if?" going back in time a la "Hot Tub Time Machine" to see what might have happened had the wheels of history turned a different direction.

I did this a few years back and it drew a big response.  The hypothetical a few years back was, what if Reggie Fish actually fields the punt against the Florida Gators in the SEC Championship Game?

Had he fielded the punt properly and no fumble occurs in the end zone, the Gators would never have gotten momentum and the Razorbacks would have won the game and gone on to the national championship game because you could not hold a championship game back in this time frame and not have an SEC team.  We all know the SEC wins every time in the title game unless it's Auburn, so the Razorbacks win the NCAA championship and nobody transfers after the bowl game and Houston Nutt leads the Hogs into more special seasons.

Of course that never happened.

And this scenario that I am about to unfold never did either, but what if?

This hypothetical comes from reader named "Sterling," although that is not his real name. Sterling wants to know what happens if the Razorbacks would have beaten LSU in 2011.

To rewind the clock and go down memory lane for some who may have forgotten, right before the Razorbacks played LSU, the AP poll, the only one that matters, had LSU at No. 1 followed by Alabama and Arkansas. It was when the SEC was at its zenith. It's hard to imagine a Top 25 with the top three owned by one conference going into the last week of the regular season, yet that is where it stood.

LSU had beaten Alabama in Tuscaloosa earlier in a 9-6 defensive brawl in overtime.  Six-million players were drafted off those two teams' rosters that played in that game. It was a titanic matchup during the regular season. LSU went on and won the SEC Championship and then lost in the rematch with Alabama in the National Title game. It was the SEC at its best with the opportunity to match up two of its schools for the national title.

Arkansas met LSU in Baton Rouge the day after Thanksgiving in 2011. Unfortunately, the Razorbacks had to deal with a devastating and unexpected loss of a teammate in Garrett Uekman.

In reality, the Razorbacks really did get off to a fast start in the game and had momentum. Then something unfortunate happened on the way to the bank. A guy named Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu returned a punt 92 yards to tie the score at 14-14.

The momentum shifted and the Tigers went on to put a beat down on the Razorbacks, and Bobby Petrino dropped the F bomb on Les Miles on national television. This column called out the Razorback coach for acting look a fool in the public spotlight, but Razorback fans immediately ran to Petrino's rescue.

But... what if the Honey Badger had fumbled that ball into the end zone when fielding the punt, and the Razorbacks recover the ball for a touchdown and go up 21-7 on the Tigers. The Hogs would have gone on a roll and blitzed the Tigers at their home.

With Arkansas beating LSU and pretending Auburn beat Alabama, the Hogs would have jumped to No. 1 and gone to the SEC Championship game because it would have held the tie-breaker over LSU.

The Hogs go to the SEC Championship Game and kill the SEC East. This in turn sends the Razorbacks to the national title game, and again, SEC teams always win it unless it's Auburn. The Razorbacks win their first ever AP poll national championship and their first football title since the 1964 season.

Spring forward to April Fool's Day 2012 and the events as Bobby Petrino goes for a motorcycle ride with his girlfriend (who worked for him and apparently nobody in the athletic department knew anything about it) and has his wreck. This is what Sterling really wants to know what happens. Do the events after the April 1 wreck play out the same with Jeff Long and Petrino?

Does Long fire the coach who just won the national title and has a team that some were speculating to be in the hunt for a national title in 2012? Sterling, my gut says no. The politics behind firing someone just winning a national title would have been too difficult. Another solution would have been found and the Program would have developed a more certain moral flexibility. With that said, either Petrino needed to win the national title or not have the wreck with his former girlfriend.

Regardless, as fate may have it, maybe the Razorbacks were lucky and things played out for the Program's best interest.

Under this hypothetical of Petrino winning the national title, would that have been bad as the fans would have been stuck with the foul-mouthed, ill-tempered coach? Didn't the team end up better off in the long run landing Bret Bielema, who under my estimation will win at least 10 games next year?

Send what you think happens to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

TXArcher

No idea.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on May 17, 2015, 12:14:46 pm
One of the sillier posts I've seen in a while.  Quite expected though.

....as opposed to the brilliance you bring to the board.   :puke:   ;)

HotlantaHog

If Petrino wins the national championship, I think it becomes just a bit tougher for Jeff Long to fire Petrino and to not come to some sort of negotiated solution to the motorcycle accident crisis. The amount of goodwill generated by that would be enough to allow him to stay. Maybe as some speculate he would have gone elsewhere, but there was a mega-buyout on Petrino that would have made it pretty difficult for him to go -- and most programs weren't looking for a coach in January, which is when he would be available post-championship-game.

Let's make some waves.

LZH

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on May 18, 2015, 09:22:06 am
:)

Good to see ya Jeff.  Btw, you and smalls are smart, but I am the smartest guy in the room...........boom!*

* - this does not count hard questions or explaining my past predictions that turned out bad - thank you, please carry on.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2015, 12:46:42 pm
Good to see ya Jeff.  Btw, you and smalls are smart, but I am the smartest guy in the room...........boom!*

* - this does not count hard questions or explaining my past predictions that turned out bad - thank you, please carry on.

Hey, I'm not going to argue that.  I saw a post yesterday where you used the word jocularity.  Probably a first on Hogville. 

"Check the big head on Braaaad." 

LZH

Hey, I'm not going to argue that.  I saw a post yesterday where you used the word jocularity.  Probably a first on Hogville. 

Tee hee...google is our friend.....and I am totally incapable of doing most of this myself.  Thank you buddy.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LZH on May 18, 2015, 08:24:17 pm

Tee hee...google is our friend.....and I am totally incapable of doing most of this myself.  Thank you buddy.

I absolutely love that movie.  I make it a point not to watch any part of it for about two years, and then I watch it again.  I do about the same thing with Shawshank Redemption too. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 14, 2015, 09:17:02 am
But he wasn't the mastermind that I see him continually being made out to be.  I think he was/is good at using a system to get more from less with regard to talent, but he's yet to show he can win against the top programs on a consistent basis. 

Agree.

Always remember, it took this "offensive mastermind" one-third of a season to realize KD just MIGHT be 'above average'.

Debatable buddy!
Let's make some waves.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 18, 2015, 04:59:52 pm

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on May 19, 2015, 03:54:46 pm
Debatable buddy!

None of you can match Harry Rex..............

Not that you would want to.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Let's make some waves.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on May 19, 2015, 04:06:52 pm
None of you can match Harry Rex..............

Not that you would want to.

I think we should keep this in perspective.  I don't want to label, but if there was a battle of wits on Hogville, and someone did a video replication of it, it would be two dudes with beer guts and receding hairlines holding a beer in one hand, shooting spit wads at each other with the other.  I do not picture a battle scene from "Braveheart," for example.     

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 20, 2015, 01:03:01 pm
I think we should keep this in perspective.  I don't want to label, but if there was a battle of wits on Hogville, and someone did a video replication of it, it would be two dudes with beer guts and receding hairlines holding a beer in one hand, shooting spit wads at each other with the other.  I do not picture a battle scene from "Braveheart," for example.     

Still have my hair and no beer gut, but the rest is spot on. 43 going on 13
Let's make some waves.