Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Talk Radio

Started by Hog N Bama, April 15, 2015, 05:55:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Stream it online it the best option I have here in DFW.  As for Drive time I listen to Classic Rock.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Fatman

Quote from: SECisKing on May 21, 2015, 03:26:15 pm
Eh, I've had some bad business dealings with people from that station. I'll say stream Bo's show and the rest ain't worth it. Definitely need better option in the morning, though!
Morning Rush is by far the best in the morning slot. Nothing else comes close!!

SECisKing

Quote from: Fatman on May 24, 2015, 02:52:46 pm
Morning Rush is by far the best in the morning slot. Nothing else comes close!!

If it's the best that means the competition is shallow as all get out! Arkansas needs better shows in the morning because that one ain't it.
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

Fatman

Quote from: SECisKing on May 25, 2015, 10:21:32 am
If it's the best that means the competition is shallow as all get out! Arkansas needs better shows in the morning because that one ain't it.
I guess you have a little grudge here. I sense that a little. It is a very good show and has gotten better every year since they came on the scene. Only show that talks football from a former player perspective and devotes show time to college baseball and the other sports. It has become a well rounded show.

SECisKing

Quote from: Fatman on May 25, 2015, 11:02:48 am
I guess you have a little grudge here. I sense that a little. It is a very good show and has gotten better every year since they came on the scene. Only show that talks football from a former player perspective and devotes show time to college baseball and the other sports. It has become a well rounded show.

No grudge, just being honest. I'm not from Arkansas and I listen to sports radio all over the country, all day long. Relative to the other shows in that time slot you can say it's the best, but it doesn't have much competition.

Compare that show the ones in Atlanta, Alabama and Louisiana and it would be last place. Not much knowledge beyond Arkansas sports, either. I applaud you have an opinion you feel good about, but discrediting my opinion because you like that show doesn't make much sense.

It has a former player's perspective, however, that player rarely comes with something you felt you haven't heard before. In fact, he gives you the standard stuff you hear at a lot of places.

Game On, with Wess Moore, Mike Irwin and Michael Smith, sounds like the show you think the Morning Rush is. The entire cast was knowledgeable about the entire conference and Michael Smith would often peel back the onion, so to speak, from a player's perspective and wasn't afraid to offend anyone.

The Bo Mattingly show is darn good. He's good no matter which market you're in. The show with Pat Bradley and Justin Acri is good, too.

I like the show with Pat Jenkins and Nick Mason; Jim Harris and Andy Hodges have a good show, too. I really like Trey Schaap and Matt Jones' show, but Matt reminds me a lot of The Morning Rush "player" where you aren't going to get what you think you might get from a player of that magnitude.

But simply turn your dial to Dallas radio and listen to the difference in quality of radio show. It's not even close. The worst Dallas show would be one of the best in Arkansas.

Those are my honest opinions, if it offends anyone, so be it.

Mike Irwin

I used to read criticisms of Michael Smith in this forum and want to laugh. It was like some expected him to be a radio disc jockey. His voice is not polished. He pauses too much in the middle of a thought. Blah blah blah.

This thing that all of us supposedly love, college football, he's been there and done that and like Murph pointed out he pulled back the curtain and let all of see what was going on with the guys who actually play the game.

I still remember the day some Hogville expert was ragging on Brandon Allen for a fumble in the Georgia game. Said he pitched the ball face level to Alex Collins' when it should have been chest high. I asked Michael about it on the air and he explained that running backs actually want the ball pitched at face level and he said Collins had simply taken his eyes off the ball.

That's the kind of stuff I want to hear on a sports talk show.

SECisKing

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 25, 2015, 12:53:49 pm
I used to read criticisms of Michael Smith in this forum and want to laugh. It was like some expected him to be a radio disc jockey. His voice is not polished. He pauses too much in the middle of a thought. Blah blah blah.

This thing that all of us supposedly love, college football, he's been there and done that and like Murph pointed out he pulled back the curtain and let all of see what was going on with the guys who actually play the game.

I still remember the day some Hogville expert was ragging on Brandon Allen for a fumble in the Georgia game. Said he pitched the ball face level to Alex Collins' when it should have been chest high. I asked Michael about it on the air and he explained that running backs actually want the ball pitched at face level and he said Collins had simply taken his eyes off the ball.

That's the kind of stuff I want to hear on a sports talk show.

You and me both, Mike. I'm rarely concerned if an analyst like Michael Smith or the guy on the Morning Rush sounds like Wess Moore or Trey Schaap, vocally, but I do want them to take me deeper than the average show host -- and Michael is great at that.

People judge ex-players too harshly for the technical side of radio/tv when that's not supposed to be their thing. They do need to be knowledgeable about the game and the happenings around their respective sport.

DeltaBoy

I love the Morning RUSH and I miss the tar out of Game ON!!!!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.