Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talk of UALR football gaining momentum

Started by Sweet Feet, July 24, 2017, 12:28:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Another write-up in the newspaper yesterday regarding the idea of football. Frankly, i hope they eventually get one. I think it would hurt ASU and UCA, but UALR i feel would have a decent chance. This is the biggest push towards UALR football since its been disbanded. The only issue is funding, but there is a lot of big time money makers in Little Rock that can help out if they are interested enough.

twistitup

Perfect use for War Memorial - UALR should have a team...they are in a urban area and should be able to effectively recruit LR and Memphis. My question is....Why not? There are plenty of 'tweener' kids that don't get looked at by the major programs and would love to have a place to go to college and play ball close to home.

Here is great example....from being too small, div III LB to starting for the Colts and now for the Bears. Small school football is very important to the overall game of football...it's essential to the development of future athletes. Not everybody coming out of H.S. is ready for D1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/01/09/jerrell-freeman-indianapolis-colts-inside-linebacker-disruptive-force/21515419/
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Sweet Feet

I think the stars are slightly aligning. Arkansas stinks it up in WMS and doesn't want to play anymore, WMS needs a source of revenue, UALR gets a football minded AD who is good at raising money, a student petition showing interest pushes the cause, city seems to be on board for it all. I hope it works

Hawghiggs

If UALR does get a football program. Then Astate and UCA better look out. The Trojans( hate that mascot) would quickly become the second most followed team in the state. The Trojans with the right coach ( Paul Petrino?) could easily out recruit Astate.

GolfNut57

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

twistitup

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 25, 2017, 08:58:12 am
Lots of delusion in this thread.

UALR football is a delusion? Why is that?

Seminole Indian

Having FBS football in Little Rock would certainly be a big plus for Little Rock in the absence of the Razorbacks.

Don't think it would hurt UCA, and obviously would not hurt the Razorbacks,but having an in-state conference mate would impact A-State IMO. As far as recruiting they don't recruit Arkansas well anyway.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Quote from: twistitup on July 25, 2017, 10:13:17 am
UALR football is a delusion? Why is that?

The delusion comes from thinking it would hurt ASU and even UCA right away. The only players a UALR football program would draw right away is those who don't get more than a sniff from established FBS programs. More than likely, players that aren't good enough to crack UCAs starting roster MIGHT be interested in being involved in a startup program at UALR. But you are going to have to see UALR actually get one started first. And that is a LONG ways from happening. Just a guess but UALR is going to have to triple their athletic budget to even take that first step. And it is very doubtful that a startup program starts out as a FBS level team to boot.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 25, 2017, 10:35:20 am
Having FBS football in Little Rock would certainly be a big plus for Little Rock in the absence of the Razorbacks.

Don't think it would hurt UCA, and obviously would not hurt the Razorbacks,but having an in-state conference mate would impact A-State IMO. As far as recruiting they don't recruit Arkansas well anyway.

Wouldn't impact ASU at all. UALR, IF and when they were to start up a football program most likely it would be FCS. And there is nothing in the Sunbelt league rules that says UALR gets an automatic football invite until they join the FBS ranks. UALR would just be another UAPB or UCA. A school that plays NCAA D1 basketball but FCS football.

asuato

Yes that is true. IF they start a program, and that's a BIG IF, they would be FCS at first, then when they made the move up, by rule they would be grandfathered into the Belt, which would disrupt the divisions but that would have to be figured out.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 25, 2017, 12:47:52 pm
Wouldn't impact ASU at all. UALR, IF and when they were to start up a football program most likely it would be FCS. And there is nothing in the Sunbelt league rules that says UALR gets an automatic football invite until they join the FBS ranks. UALR would just be another UAPB or UCA. A school that plays NCAA D1 basketball but FCS football.

In the Jonesboro Sun today Carl Benson said "We do have bylaws in place that 'grandfather' in existing members, so if Little Rock determines they want to add football, they would be automatically in with our bylaws."
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Sweet Feet

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 25, 2017, 12:44:23 pm
The delusion comes from thinking it would hurt ASU and even UCA right away. The only players a UALR football program would draw right away is those who don't get more than a sniff from established FBS programs. More than likely, players that aren't good enough to crack UCAs starting roster MIGHT be interested in being involved in a startup program at UALR. But you are going to have to see UALR actually get one started first. And that is a LONG ways from happening. Just a guess but UALR is going to have to triple their athletic budget to even take that first step. And it is very doubtful that a startup program starts out as a FBS level team to boot.
Nobody said it would hurt those schools right away. But To think that a instate, in-conference opponent wouldn't hurt a team is delusional is nothing but denial. Little Rock already has more to offer and is more attractive/richer than Jonesboro. They also draw in bigger crowds. So of course they would bring in decent recruits and in turn, hurt ASU.  Though they aren't instate, It wasn't that long ago everyone thought TAMU wouldn't hurt Arkansas in any way when they joined the SEC. Arkansas hasn't beat them since. UCA would definitely suffer because most players go to UCA because they are the only college football program in the central Arkansas area. having to split with UALR would hurt them as an FCS program. And we see how UCA can stack up with ASU, hince the win last year, and ASU's lucky close-calls in the 90s games.

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 25, 2017, 12:47:52 pm

UALR has stated if they start football, they are aiming at the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt commish just stated yesterday that if UALR gets a team, they would be grandfathered in. So by all means, UALR would not be an FCS team like UAPB or UCA.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 25, 2017, 03:32:38 pm
In the Jonesboro Sun today Carl Benson said "We do have bylaws in place that 'grandfather' in existing members, so if Little Rock determines they want to add football, they would be automatically in with our bylaws."

That does not include football teams that are starting out at the FCS level.

Seminole Indian

They will have to transition from FCS into FBS, but that is just a formality that several current SBC members have gone through.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 25, 2017, 09:49:19 pm
They will have to transition from FCS into FBS, but that is just a formality that several current SBC members have gone through.

And until they do that transition they will NOT be a football playing member of the Sunbelt.

Seminole Indian

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

ricepig

GolfNut57

Feasibility studies sound like one of the bigger scams out there. Paying someone six figures just so they can tell you if you can afford something or not.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on August 11, 2017, 01:31:06 pm
Feasibility studies sound like one of the bigger scams out there. Paying someone six figures just so they can tell you if you can afford something or not.

If you are thinking about building a hotel and don't do one you're nuts!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ben on August 11, 2017, 12:36:33 pm
Just today, UALR received 4 bids for the feasibility study

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/aug/11/ualr-receives-4-bids-for-football-feasi/

should they do a feasibility study as to which company to use for the feasibility study?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 14, 2017, 12:12:26 pm
should they do a feasibility study as to which company to use for the feasibility study?

It's feasible

pignparadise

Public administrators use feasability studies to strengthen their desires. I doubt it will come back negative once the agency senses the powers to be are excited about the issue.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

DeltaBoy

If they Get one it will be 👍Great !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

If they could get Frito Lay to sponsor the stadium that would be a great move by the UALR admin. Serve Coke and  the best Frito Pie known to man.

People will come for the Coke and Frito Pie - football will just be a bonus to getting full on one of the best meals known to man.

It might also be smart to serve general admission folks some reasonably priced beer....just an idea. The football might not be great in the first few years - but at least your full w/ a buzz

GolfNut57

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 10:57:07 am
If they could get Frito Lay to sponsor the stadium that would be a great move by the UALR admin. Serve Coke and  the best Frito Pie known to man.

People will come for the Coke and Frito Pie - football will just be a bonus to getting full on one of the best meals known to man.

It might also be smart to serve general admission folks some reasonably priced beer....just an idea. The football might not be great in the first few years - but at least your full w/ a buzz

Great....so we will have 9-10 more drunks on the road as they leave WMS after the "game".  ;)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 24, 2017, 12:28:27 pm
Another write-up in the newspaper yesterday regarding the idea of football. Frankly, i hope they eventually get one. I think it would hurt ASU and UCA, but UALR i feel would have a decent chance. This is the biggest push towards UALR football since its been disbanded. The only issue is funding, but there is a lot of big time money makers in Little Rock that can help out if they are interested enough.

It going to take Millions of dollars to get thing going.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Michaelt

September 05, 2017, 03:40:38 pm #28 Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:54:15 pm by Michaelt
Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 25, 2017, 12:44:23 pm

Actually the AD at UALR has said that the budget would have to increase by at least 70% to meet the needs of a football program.
I would support UALR's football program.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Michaelt on September 05, 2017, 03:40:38 pm
Actually the AD at UALR has said that the budget would have to increase by at least 70% to meet the needs of a football program.
I would support UALR's football program.

Just curious if there are any Title IX implications as far as UALR having to fund additional woman's scholarships due to the increased football schollies?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GolfNut57

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 05, 2017, 06:48:18 pm
Just curious if there are any Title IX implications as far as UALR having to fund additional woman's scholarships due to the increased football schollies?

You better believe it.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 24, 2017, 12:28:27 pm
The only issue is funding, but there is a lot of big time money makers in Little Rock that can help out if they are interested enough.

LOL!

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 30, 2017, 02:38:12 pm
It going to take Millions of dollars to get thing going.
Couldn't the Stephens family do this out of the petty cash box?

Michaelt

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 06, 2017, 12:58:20 pm
Couldn't the Stephens family do this out of the petty cash box?

Probably so. A few other families would be able to pitch in as well and make a pretty nice football program fiscally sound.

I would imagine they would want to build some type of practice facilities on campus. Is there anyplace around UALR that they could do this?
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

DeltaBoy

There enough money to start it if they want College FB in LR from now on.

Sweet Feet

asuato

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 25, 2017, 03:41:01 pm
Nobody said it would hurt those schools right away. But To think that a instate, in-conference opponent wouldn't hurt a team is delusional is nothing but denial. Little Rock already has more to offer and is more attractive/richer than Jonesboro. They also draw in bigger crowds. So of course they would bring in decent recruits and in turn, hurt ASU.  Though they aren't instate, It wasn't that long ago everyone thought TAMU wouldn't hurt Arkansas in any way when they joined the SEC. Arkansas hasn't beat them since. UCA would definitely suffer because most players go to UCA because they are the only college football program in the central Arkansas area. having to split with UALR would hurt them as an FCS program. And we see how UCA can stack up with ASU, hince the win last year, and ASU's lucky close-calls in the 90s games.

UALR has stated if they start football, they are aiming at the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt commish just stated yesterday that if UALR gets a team, they would be grandfathered in. So by all means, UALR would not be an FCS team like UAPB or UCA.

UCA doesn't stack up at all with ASU. It was a one off win in a bad four game game stretch. It was great for the UCA program, nice win for them, but we are light years ahead of them in every phase of football.

Seminole Indian

September 14, 2017, 06:25:00 am #37 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:32:32 am by Seminole Indian
As far as programs there is no comparison between the two.

The better FCS programs can beat many, maybe most FBS teams in a game from time to time. A Citadel can beat an Arkansas, but their is no comparison in their programs.

A-State stacked up well in games with regional D-1A programs like Memphis, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tulsa, Southern Mississippi,  and Texas A&M when they were a 1-AA program. Heck, they and the Razorbacks both tied Mississippi St one year.

In the case of A-State and UCA, A-State was clearly the more talented team but simply were not playing well and still should have won the game. For whatever reason last years team was MIA for the first four games.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: asuato on September 14, 2017, 04:06:38 am
UCA doesn't stack up at all with ASU. It was a one off win in a bad four game game stretch. It was great for the UCA program, nice win for them, but we are light years ahead of them in every phase of football.

I wouldn say lightyears ahead. ASU had a 20 year slump from their return to FBS up to 2010 being a FBS doormat. UCA is very formidable and has more success as a football program. As a D2 team in the 90s when asu was FBS, it took late game heroics for asu to beat them twice. Having Freeze in 2011 helped out a lot. If they moved up to the FBS, they would probably be better than ASU after transitioning. As with last year, bad game or not, UCA still came in and beat an ASU team that won the Sun Belt. So with the history of UCA and ASU the past 20+ years, you give UCA the same number of scholarships and put them in the FBS, it wouldn be good for ASU.

Seminole Indian

September 15, 2017, 06:32:53 am #39 Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:10:44 am by Seminole Indian
It would effect ASU, but having another brand new FBS football program in the same conference would effect them more.

IMO, UALR football would have as big or bigger impact on the lower division schools in Arkansas, especially the FCS teams.

As far as the Razorbacks, UALR football, along with them not playing games there would almost certainly mean a lot of the local businesses would began to focus more of their support on UALR, which might have some impact.  Not sure how that would effect UCA or UAPB, but it would have little effect on A-State.

A-State is almost in a world of their own anyway, with UALR as a SBC member their major connection to central Arkansas, and football at UALR would increase that connection.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 15, 2017, 12:57:48 am
I wouldn say lightyears ahead. ASU had a 20 year slump from their return to FBS up to 2010 being a FBS doormat. UCA is very formidable and has more success as a football program. As a D2 team in the 90s when asu was FBS, it took late game heroics for asu to beat them twice. Having Freeze in 2011 helped out a lot. If they moved up to the FBS, they would probably be better than ASU after transitioning. As with last year, bad game or not, UCA still came in and beat an ASU team that won the Sun Belt. So with the history of UCA and ASU the past 20+ years, you give UCA the same number of scholarships and put them in the FBS, it wouldn be good for ASU.

Be sure and post it when UCA makes it to the championship game of the 1-AA/FCS playoffs like ASU did. During ASU's days of 1-AA ball they were a force to be dealt with and went to the playoffs multiple times under Lacewell.

Re the second bold part. One could just as easily say give ASU the athletic budget and facilities of the teams in the SEC and it would not be good for the UofA.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 15, 2017, 06:32:53 am
It would effect ASU, but having another brand new FBS football program in the same conference would effect them more.

IMO, UALR football would have as big or bigger impact on the lower division schools in Arkansas, especially the FCS teams.

As far as the Razorbacks, UALR football, along with them not playing games there would almost certainly mean a lot of the local businesses would began to focus more of their support on UALR, which might have some impact.  Not sure how that would effect UCA or UAPB, but it would have little effect on A-State.

A-State is almost in a world of their own anyway, with UALR as a SBC member their major connection to central Arkansas, and football at UALR would increase that connection.

If and when UALR starts up a football program it would hurt UCA at their current FCS level more than it would hurt ASU. Players in the central AR area that aren't good enough to start for ASU would have another option besides going to UCA if they wanted to stay in the metro area of the state.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 15, 2017, 10:10:48 am
If and when UALR starts up a football program it would hurt UCA at their current FCS level more than it would hurt ASU. Players in the central AR area that aren't good enough to start for ASU would have another option besides going to UCA if they wanted to stay in the metro area of the state.

Absolutely no doubt about that.

When they were 1-AA, A-State benefited from having only one school from a higher classification in the state and not two, much less three.

Not saying UCA will not be a good football program, they most likely will, but they will  have to work a little harder, and invest a little more.

Sweet Feet

September 17, 2017, 01:35:34 pm #43 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:46:09 pm by Sweet Feet
Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 15, 2017, 10:07:36 am
Be sure and post it when UCA makes it to the championship game of the 1-AA/FCS playoffs like ASU did. During ASU's days of 1-AA ball they were a force to be dealt with and went to the playoffs multiple times under Lacewell.

Re the second bold part. One could just as easily say give ASU the athletic budget and facilities of the teams in the SEC and it would not be good for the UofA.
UCA has 3 national championships, more conf titles, more wins, and a better win percentage. Not to mention a winning record vs ASU. Arkansas State was decent with Lacewell, but they had 1 exceptional season. Their record as an FCS team is 61-54-5 (51%). UCA's FCS record is 84-46 (64%). Both have 2 conf titles. UCA spent 5 years as an FCS program unable to participate in the playoff due to transitioning and they are still only one playoff appearance away from tying ASU's FCS playoff appearances.

Athletic budget and facilities is one thing, but scholarships influence on the field success more. The past 4 matchups between ASU and UCA, ASU had more scholarships players than UCA and still struggled. Facilities and Budget only improve the off the field factors. But like i said, Athletic Budget and Facilities don't guarantee on the field success like the amount of scholarships. UA and ASU share the same number of scholarship players, so even if ASU improved their budget and facilities, i don't think it would hurt Arkansas at all because they still get better players.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 17, 2017, 01:35:34 pm
UA and ASU share the same number of scholarship players, so even if ASU improved their budget and facilities, i don't think it would hurt Arkansas at all because they still get better players.

Strictly only because of the difference in conferences. Players will choose to play in the SEC over the Sunbelt every time.

DeltaBoy

Sweet Feet

haven't heard anything yet. I know the study has probably started already

DeltaBoy

The last I heard anywhere was the study was on and was being pald for by the Central Ark Chamber of Commerce.

hog of steele

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 14, 2017, 06:25:00 am
As far as programs there is no comparison between the two.

The better FCS programs can beat many, maybe most FBS teams in a game from time to time. A Citadel can beat an Arkansas, but their is no comparison in their programs.

A-State stacked up well in games with regional D-1A programs like Memphis, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tulsa, Southern Mississippi,  and Texas A&M when they were a 1-AA program. Heck, they and the Razorbacks both tied Mississippi St one year.

In the case of A-State and UCA, A-State was clearly the more talented team but simply were not playing well and still should have won the game. For whatever reason last years team was MIA for the first four games.

The fact that you have to make this post is why UA will not play ASU. You lost and now you have to deal with UCA fans crowing about UCA. There aren't a ton of those but its obnoxious and from the outside, it looks like a legit argument. I love UCA. I even went there for a while. ASU is clearly a better program. But you have to deal with this until you put a proper thumping on them.

Nothing to gain for ASU. You shouldn't have played them.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hog of steele on October 05, 2017, 02:35:52 pm
The fact that you have to make this post is why UA will not play ASU. You lost and now you have to deal with UCA fans crowing about UCA. There aren't a ton of those but its obnoxious and from the outside, it looks like a legit argument. I love UCA. I even went there for a while. ASU is clearly a better program. But you have to deal with this until you put a proper thumping on them.

Nothing to gain for ASU. You shouldn't have played them.

The Citadel wants to talk to Jeff Long about scheduling another game soon.  ;)