Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Luxor - Las Vegas

Started by majestic, June 01, 2015, 05:52:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

majestic

So... I'm taking the wife to LV towards the end of July for the big 40 (hers, not mine).  I got a smoking deal at the Luxor.  Anyone ever been there?  The shows, restaurants, etc. look pretty cool.  She likes the Chris Angel show, so we'll probably do that.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hogbud

Angel spends much of show pimpin his gift shop. Mandalay Bay connected to Luxor and is awesome - check out Red Square vodka bar. Vegas in July is brutally hot - thus great deals. Always have fun in Vegas!

majestic

Yeah, it was hot, but it didn't feel any worse than here due to the lack of humidity.

The strip is absolute bs regarding prices.  We stayed at the Luxor, and it was pretty nice, but they charge for every thing you can think of.

Check out Ellis Island for seriously good, seriously cheap food. It's like 1970 in there, though.

Criss Angel show was pretty cool, but was ~$200 for me and the wife.

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hillbilly

Quote from: majestic on June 01, 2015, 05:52:14 pm
So... I'm taking the wife to LV towards the end of July for the big 40 (hers, not mine).  I got a smoking deal at the Luxor.  Anyone ever been there?  The shows, restaurants, etc. look pretty cool.  She likes the Chris Angel show, so we'll probably do that.
I stayed there the only time I have been to LV. AC didn't keep the room cool at all and I didn't enjoy the Luxor. Stayed a night at New York New York and liked it a lot more than the Luxor.

hogslobber

Have never heard one person that liked the Excaliber or Luxor.

Las Vegas has so many great places to stay.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogslobber on August 04, 2015, 12:49:59 pm
Have never heard one person that liked the Excaliber or Luxor.

Las Vegas has so many great places to stay.
This comment will sound odd, probably.
I had the best club sandwich I've ever had, at the Luxor. Prob around 2003, was staying there on a trip. Had a quick meal.
I know...why the heck are you having a club sandwich at the Luxor, but I'm somewhat of a club sandwich connoessuer, and that was the best.

McKdaddy

Headed to Vegas for my 1st time in September for Strait's show. The wife's been there a few times but I've not cared to go. I appreciate any suggestions. The wife has enjoyed the Venetian and Bellagio on prior trips.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 09, 2015, 06:29:52 pm
Headed to Vegas for my 1st time in September for Strait's show. The wife's been there a few times but I've not cared to go. I appreciate any suggestions. The wife has enjoyed the Venetian and Bellagio on prior trips.

We prefer staying at the Wynn.

Absinthe is our favorite show. 

Mon Ami Gabi at Paris for breakfast......unless it's a Sunday morning....then hit up the Jazz Brunch at the Country Club at Wynn.

Drunken noodles at Wazuzu at Encore is a must.

Cut at the Palazzo is an excellent steakhouse.

We also usually hit up a nice dinner with a wine pairing. Had one with a beer pairing a couple of years ago....awesome.

We go once or twice a year. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on October 11, 2015, 08:53:10 am
We prefer staying at the Wynn.

Absinthe is our favorite show. 

Mon Ami Gabi at Paris for breakfast......unless it's a Sunday morning....then hit up the Jazz Brunch at the Country Club at Wynn.

Drunken noodles at Wazuzu at Encore is a must.

Cut at the Palazzo is an excellent steakhouse.

We also usually hit up a nice dinner with a wine pairing. Had one with a beer pairing a couple of years ago....awesome.

We go once or twice a year. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

The Encore or Wynn are my first choices. Thanks for your input.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 11, 2015, 09:49:31 am
The Encore or Wynn are my first choices. Thanks for your input.

I love staying at both but much prefer the Wynn just because I primarily play poker and sports book and both of those are at the Wynn.  It takes a lot more time to just run up to the room to get something if you have to trek all the way to an Encore room.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on October 11, 2015, 09:53:10 am
I love staying at both but much prefer the Wynn just because I primarily play poker and sports book and both of those are at the Wynn.  It takes a lot more time to just run up to the room to get something if you have to trek all the way to an Encore room.

That is good to know in case the wife decides to gamble.

flynhog

Absinthe is a must.  Buy the tickets asap.  Pay for the best seats you can get.  I promise it's worth it.  Lotus of Siam for Thai food is world class and not very expensive.  Take a cab there but don't be afraid once you see the entrance because it's kind of a seedy looking place.  It's nice inside and the food is great.  Take another cab to Frank's Tiki Room in old Las Vegas.  Looks like Honolulu in 1975.  "3 rum scum"is a good drink to start with.  Have fun!
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Jackrabbit Hog

My wife stayed at Excalibur once and hated it; changed hotels in the middle of her trip because of it.  I've also heard the Luxor is on the lower end of the strip hotels.

Our favorites, based on places we've stayed there, are Caesar's Palace (it's older, but has so much history and authenticity), the Venetian (swanky), and the MGM Grand.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

husker71

When I was managing Harbor Island in Vegas I migh as well  lived at Ellis Island.  Majestic is right the locals know this maybe the best food bargain in all of the strip area (Koval is just a few blocks off the strip behind Ballys)  also loose slots and other loose things too.  Yes I am saying that.  As you walk in the front door look to the corner on your left  that is where Tupac was murdered.  Don't get off the main street in that area .